Menu

Clean, light fiction for MIL; also non-fiction about knitting or birds; past lists and new suggestions?

MercyA

My MIL is having a hard time. My FIL passed almost a year ago and she has had a hard year physically and emotionally. She is lonely and needs ways to pass the time. She does have frequent visits from her children and from friends but there are still many empty hours in the day. 

She has never been a huge reader. She wants books to read but doesn't really know what she likes yet, IYKWIM. I was thinking maybe cozy mysteries, without any graphic violence?

Here's what I know from talking to my DH:

*No sci-fi or fantasy

*No depressing themes or focus on death or loss

*No language or s*x scenes

*Humor is a huge bonus. She loves jokes and loves to laugh.

*Christian and secular books are both okay

*She likes sewing, knitting, gardening, and bird watching. She is a very novice knitter (mostly makes dish clothes and scarves but enjoys it).

Things I have seen her read and enjoy:

*Amish romance (she herself was Amish until her early 20's)

*James Herriot books

*Popular fiction (Grisham, maybe? but I think that is mainly because that's what my FIL was reading)

I know we've also had several threads here about light fiction for elderly relatives. Does anyone have any of those links handy?

My DH asked me to ask my forum and we both appreciate any help immensely. 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

Similar to James Herriot
- Mabel, Olive, and Me (Cotter) -- he is the UK sportscaster who posted short humorous videos of his dogs during covid shutdown
- My Family and Other Animals (Durrell)
- Owls in the Family (Mowat) -- upper elementary reading level, but humorous
- Kildee House (Montgomery) -- upper elementary reading level, but charming

Humor
- Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (Gallico)
- Miss Pettigrew Lives for A Day (Watson)
- Miss Buncle's Book (Stevenson)
- Diary of a Provencial Lady (Delafield)
- books by PG Wodehouse
- a year in Provence (Maryle)

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series (Smith)
The first 2-3 books are a little rough as the author was finding his footing, but SUCH a charming series; after book 1, all of the mysteries she solves have nothing to do with murders, and there is always a moment or two in the book of genuine love and appreciation for others

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I want to second Owls in the Family!  It's always one of my first read alouds for second grade and up, but it's just a fantastic read, even for adults.  There's also a great sequel, called The Dog Who Wouldn't Be.

They're both hilarious.

Edited by Terabith
  • Thanks 1

Seconding Jan Karon’s Mitford series books

Joanne Fluke has a series of murder mysteries (The Hannah Swensen series) that are clean and very tame. The first is The Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder

The Miss Julia books by Ann B. Ross are good as well

Stephanie Pearl McPhee has written several knitting books (her “nickname” is the Yarn Harlot, so I’m not sure if that would be offensive, but her books are funny). Clara Parkes has also written a few as well  

Jennifer Chiaverini has a series related to quilting. I think the first is The Quilter’s Apprentice

I have enjoyed the first two (getting the third for Christmas) Thursday Murder Club books by Richard Osman (possibly mild language, I can’t remember)

I enjoyed How the Penguins Saved Veronica by Hazel Prior as well (possibly not after re-reading your post mentioning not about death/loss)

I liked Field Notes from an Unintentional Birder by Julia Zarankin. 

Good luck!  I hope that she is able to find some books that she likes. 

Edited by AroundtheCorner
Second thoughts about recommendation
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lori D. said:

Similar to James Herriot
- Mabel, Olive, and Me (Cotter) -- he is the UK sportscaster who posted short humorous videos of his dogs during covid shutdown
- My Family and Other Animals (Durrell)
- Owls in the Family (Mowat) -- upper elementary reading level, but humorous
- Kildee House (Montgomery) -- upper elementary reading level, but charming

Humor
- Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris (Gallico)
- Miss Pettigrew Lives for A Day (Watson)
- Miss Buncle's Book (Stevenson)
- Diary of a Provencial Lady (Delafield)
- books by PG Wodehouse
- a year in Provence (Maryle)

The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series (Smith)
The first 2-3 books are a little rough as the author was finding his footing, but SUCH a charming series; after book 1, all of the mysteries she solves have nothing to do with murders, and there is always a moment or two in the book of genuine love and appreciation for others

Seconding the No 1 Ladies detective agency and also anything by this author including the Isabel Dalhousie and Scotland Street series. They are my go to for cozy distraction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1