Menu

Why won't amazon tell me what color the preschool scissors are???

Terabith

My mother would say "It's so people with nothing to say will have something to talk about", and if you think that's mean, try growing up with it. In French!

(I literally just realized that probably her mother grew up hearing it in Walloon, a language she spoke about as well as I speak French, ie, not at all. I would sympathize, but I just can't.)

At any rate, once you figure out how to order the scissors in the colors you want, don't forget to order some left-handed scissors as well, in some different color. There is no such thing as lefty-righty or "ambidextrous" scissors!

3 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

At any rate, once you figure out how to order the scissors in the colors you want, don't forget to order some left-handed scissors as well, in some different color. There is no such thing as lefty-righty or "ambidextrous" scissors!

I'm a big believer in providing lefty scissors, but this is somewhat complicated by the fact that my kids are all two (one turns three this week), and only about half of them are scissor ready, and none of them seem to have an established hand dominance yet.  Honestly, it's kinda weird.  I've been doing this a long time, and while it's certainly age appropriate not to have a dominant hand yet, in practice most of them do.  This group of kids just seems to really struggle with midline crossing more than most in the past.  I'm wondering if it's somehow an artifact of the pandemic?  I really need to get them doing more stuff on vertical surfaces to try to encourage that more.  

It just makes it harder to know who to give lefty scissors to.  

3 hours ago, Terabith said:

I'm a big believer in providing lefty scissors, but this is somewhat complicated by the fact that my kids are all two (one turns three this week), and only about half of them are scissor ready, and none of them seem to have an established hand dominance yet.  Honestly, it's kinda weird.  I've been doing this a long time, and while it's certainly age appropriate not to have a dominant hand yet, in practice most of them do.  This group of kids just seems to really struggle with midline crossing more than most in the past.  I'm wondering if it's somehow an artifact of the pandemic?  I really need to get them doing more stuff on vertical surfaces to try to encourage that more.  

It just makes it harder to know who to give lefty scissors to.  

Unrelated to scissors, but related to crossing the midline - do you have an outdoor area with wooden horizontal railings? Something like the fencing for a deck?

If so, it's great to have young children 'paint' the railings with wide flat brushes. Demonstrate doing long strokes that cross the midline, and do it in both directions. It's also great for wrist strength 🙂

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Unrelated to scissors, but related to crossing the midline - do you have an outdoor area with wooden horizontal railings? Something like the fencing for a deck?

If so, it's great to have young children 'paint' the railings with wide flat brushes. Demonstrate doing long strokes that cross the midline, and do it in both directions. It's also great for wrist strength 🙂

We don’t.  That would be really great though.  We have some vertical railings.  It’s cold enough right now that I hesitate to give them pails of water. 

some sellers will list by color (which is more effort for the seller), others have all the colors mixed together and you get what they grab.

when I've needed something like that - I just have to break down and go to the store - or find another seller.