Menu

Anyone into making their own ice cream? Need some advice

Tap

My boyfriend loves peanut butter.  For Veterans day, I bought an ice cream maker and want to try to recreate his favorite ice cream that has been discontinued. It is described as: Tillamook Special Batch Double Nutty Peanut butter ice cream with peanut butter swirl & salted peanuts. Since I have never had it, I can't make a trial batch to see what I need to tweak. 

Any suggestions on how to pull this off?  LOL I haven't been able to find a knock off recipe. Any advice on ingredients appreciated too 🙂 Do brands matter for the cream? Does natural peanut butter work better than something like Jiff or Skippy? Any help appreciated!!!

If it matters I bought the Cuisinart Ice Cream maker so I don't have to mess with ice and such 

• Like 1

If I were making it, I would use peanut butter spread ( you can make this Google amish peanut butter spread) and a custard base for the ice cream.  Tillimonk ice cream is thick and creamy and the custard base would be like it.  The peanut butter will need to be slightly warm for it to distribute evenly into the mix if you don’t use a peanut butter spread when adding it near the end for the swirls.  

• Like 1

I haven't had the Tilamook ice cream, so I do not know how it compares, but I have a Ben and Jerry's peanut butter ice cream recipe.  You use a basic custard style base,  you whisk about 1 cup of the base with 1/2 cup of peanut butter together to mix well and then add that mixture back to the rest of the base and then begin to churn.  As the ice cream thickens, no too long before it is finished, you add 1/2 cup of peanuts.

• Like 2

Personally I would make it like pistachio ice cream. So instead of peanut butter I would start with peanuts. Blend peanuts, cream and sugar together to create the custard. Something like this https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/pistachio-ice-cream/.

If I wanted "swirls" of peanut butter in the ice cream I would fold the peanut butter in after the ice cream part is done.  In actuality I'd be too lazy for this step so I wouldn't do it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, itsheresomewhere said:

If I were making it, I would use peanut butter spread ( you can make this Google amish peanut butter spread) and a custard base for the ice cream.  Tillimonk ice cream is thick and creamy and the custard base would be like it.  The peanut butter will need to be slightly warm for it to distribute evenly into the mix if you don’t use a peanut butter spread when adding it near the end for the swirls.  

That is a really good point about  the pb needing to be warm!!!! It will turn rock hard when cold. A spread would probably be a better frozen texture 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

I haven't had the Tilamook ice cream, so I do not know how it compares, but I have a Ben and Jerry's peanut butter ice cream recipe.  You use a basic custard style base,  you whisk about 1 cup of the base with 1/2 cup of peanut butter together to mix well and then add that mixture back to the rest of the base and then begin to churn.  As the ice cream thickens, no too long before it is finished, you add 1/2 cup of peanuts.

Great idea to distribute the pb so it doesn’t get too hard too fast!

29 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Personally I would make it like pistachio ice cream. So instead of peanut butter I would start with peanuts. Blend peanuts, cream and sugar together to create the custard. Something like this https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/pistachio-ice-cream/.

If I wanted "swirls" of peanut butter in the ice cream I would fold the peanut butter in after the ice cream part is done.  In actuality I'd be too lazy for this step so I wouldn't do it. 

I really like pistachio ice cream so now i want that too !!! I could just start with peanuts !!! Silly me, didn’t even think about that! Lol

30 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I have no idea how to do that, but I can tell you that bay leaf makes amazing ice cream, as does tamarind.

I am really looking  forward to trying some different combinations. I like tamarind, but have never tried tamarind ice cream… it sounds yummy!!

• Like 2

I have an old recipe I have used for Peanut Butter Ice Cream that you could modify. It does use uncooked egg. 

2 eggs

2 cups heavy cream

1/3 cup sugar

1 cup milk

1 cup peanut butter

2 teas vanilla

1/2 cup light corn syrup.

In a medium bowl, beat eggs until frothy. Gradually beat in sugar until dissolved. Add peanut butter and corn syrup; beat until well blended. Stir in cream, milk and vanilla.  Add the mixture to the can of an ice cream maker.  Follow manufacturer's instructions for making ice cream. Makes 2 quarts.

• Like 2

I would make this recipe for peanut butter ice cream; it's a very rich custard with (cooked) egg yolks, a full cup of natural peanut butter, and a little bit of salt (the Tillamook version also includes salt, I think this is the key to replicating the taste of the original):

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016630-peanut-butter-ice-cream

And then I would make the peanut butter "swirl" from this recipe, which combines PB, heavy cream, brown sugar, and a little corn syrup to keep it soft when frozen. They add it to the finished/churned ice cream and then swirl it in with a knife. Serve with extra sauce.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/peanut-butter-swirl-ice-cream-3057655

ETA: Looking online, it seems like the Tillamook ice cream is still available. Here is a description of it: "This Double Nutty Peanut Butter ... has a layer of peanuts in a peanut butter sauce on top. The ice cream is extra creamy and amazing. If you are a peanut butter fan, you better get yourself some of this."

Link to the product at Safeway & Ralphs, you could see if it's available anywhere near you (and the listing for Ralph's includes a full ingredient list):
https://www.safeway.com/shop/product-details.960163567.html
https://www.ralphs.com/p/tillamook-special-batch-double-peanut-butter-extra-creamy-ice-cream/0007283007509

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Rosie_0801 said:

I have no idea how to do that, but I can tell you that bay leaf makes amazing ice cream, as does tamarind.

With the bay leaves, do you soak them in something to extract the flavor, or grind them finely, or what? Sounds intriguing.

I planted a tiny Laurus nobilis sometime back. It was only a few inches high. Barely any leaves. Hardly huge yet, but I now have a healthy 6 inch bush that I can harvest judiciously. I'm looking forward to watching it grow into a small tree.

Bay leaf ice cream sounds intriguing. As does tamarind.

Taking note.

Bill 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

With the bay leaves, do you soak them in something to extract the flavor, or grind them finely, or what? Sounds intriguing.

Bay leaf ice cream sounds intriguing. As does tamarind.

300ml milk, 150ml double cream, 6 large bay leaves in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat and leave to steep for half an hour or so. Separately, whisk 4 egg yolks and 175g caster sugar in a double boiler until thick and pale. Whisk that into the milk mixture, minus the bay leaves. In a clean pot, whisk over low heat for about five minutes, until it's thickened up a bit, then do what you gotta do to lower the temperature into delicious ice creamery.

Can't really advise on the tamarind. There's such a difference between different brands of paste that you have to judge by your own taste buds.

Adding = I make a vanilla frozen custard type ice cream all the time.
My MIL taught me, & said to slowly blend the eggs (on low for 3 min or so)--don't "whip" them into the mixture.

Also, my family is a huge fan of PB/Choc flavor, & always wish there was more PB flavor.

Great way to surprise him, but I definitely would start it early & let it firm up in the freezer a bit.

1 hour ago, Rosie_0801 said:

300ml milk, 150ml double cream, 6 large bay leaves in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then remove from heat and leave to steep for half an hour or so. Separately, whisk 4 egg yolks and 175g caster sugar in a double boiler until thick and pale. Whisk that into the milk mixture, minus the bay leaves. In a clean pot, whisk over low heat for about five minutes, until it's thickened up a bit, then do what you gotta do to lower the temperature into delicious ice creamery.

Can't really advise on the tamarind. There's such a difference between different brands of paste that you have to judge by your own taste buds.

Thank you. I was assuming the bay leaves were soaked in something to extract the flavor, but wanted to be sure.

Thank you again for the instructions. This sounds most interesting.

Bill

• Like 1