Menu

Storage ideas

Mrs Tiggywinkle Again

It’s time to clean out the camper. After a mouse issue last year we decided not to store anything in there, unless it was in a secured plastic tote.

Two of the beds, though, have four inch foam mattress pads.  I cannot get them to fit into a tote, no matter how big, as they just expand; neither do I have any closet space in the house where they could stay folded up and tied with rubber bands or whatever. One is a queen size and one is a full size.  Any ideas??

2 hours ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

It’s time to clean out the camper. After a mouse issue last year we decided not to store anything in there, unless it was in a secured plastic tote.

Two of the beds, though, have four inch foam mattress pads.  I cannot get them to fit into a tote, no matter how big, as they just expand; neither do I have any closet space in the house where they could stay folded up and tied with rubber bands or whatever. One is a queen size and one is a full size.  Any ideas??

Dh and I roll ours tight - it takes two of us to do it, tie down as tight as possible, and then wrap in one of our camping tarps, store in the rafters of shed.

• Like 2

You could buy mattress bags and put them in it with some mint and leave them in the trailer instead of my method.  I am too cheap to buy the mattress bags. Lol

There is a wonderful nontoxic rodent repel spray that works.  We spray the trailer with it and around it every couple of months.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere

we live next door to a dairy barn—literally share a driveway with it. Even with a lazy cat and a dog who thinks rodents need to die we still occasionally have mice, so that eliminates using my garage or basement and I’m hesitant about under the bed, even though we’ve had no evidence of mice actually in our house.  A mouse ate through a plastic garbage bag last year which is why I was considering plastic totes.  

DH has contractor bags and mint might work.  

8 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

we live next door to a dairy barn—literally share a driveway with it. Even with a lazy cat and a dog who thinks rodents need to die we still occasionally have mice, so that eliminates using my garage or basement and I’m hesitant about under the bed, even though we’ve had no evidence of mice actually in our house.  A mouse ate through a plastic garbage bag last year which is why I was considering plastic totes.  

Also, I have been told that lavender, rosemary, and mint is the trifecta of "stay away" for rodents and insects. I do not know if that is actually true. But, just figured I would add that. Everyone can choose to try it at their own peril! 😁

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

I think the issue with getting through layers is to use multiple layers and/or more difficult materials like a tarp. So maybe something inexpensive on the outside of something more robust. If you have those Bagster service bags near you, they are pretty heavy duty stuff--tarplike but different. You buy the bag and pay the service later, so if you just wanted to fashion a fancy tarp out of one, you don't have to pay the pickup fee (unless something has changed).

If you have a punctured but clean kiddie pool, pool raft, or air mattress, you might cut it to lay flat and wrap around the mattress. It would be harder to chew through.

If you go the squishing route as Faith-Manor said, you might squish and roll a plastic layer right up with the squished foam to make it harder for air to get back into the layers. Then maybe tape with duct tape.

30 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

Also, I have been told that lavender, rosemary, and mint is the trifecta of "stay away" for rodents and insects. I do not know if that is actually true. But, just figured I would add that. Everyone can choose to try it at their own peril! 😁

It would at least smell nice. 😁

2 hours ago, kbutton said:

I think the issue with getting through layers is to use multiple layers and/or more difficult materials like a tarp. So maybe something inexpensive on the outside of something more robust. If you have those Bagster service bags near you, they are pretty heavy duty stuff--tarplike but different. You buy the bag and pay the service later, so if you just wanted to fashion a fancy tarp out of one, you don't have to pay the pickup fee (unless something has changed).

If you have a punctured but clean kiddie pool, pool raft, or air mattress, you might cut it to lay flat and wrap around the mattress. It would be harder to chew through.

If you go the squishing route as Faith-Manor said, you might squish and roll a plastic layer right up with the squished foam to make it harder for air to get back into the layers. Then maybe tape with duct tape.

Mice here ate through the put away deflated easy set pool like it was butter.  Those are a bit thicker than a kiddie pool.  That was the one dang time I didn’t use mint when storing something..

• Sad 1