Menu

Wow! Did you guys see this about a possible serial killer?

DawnM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2022/10/25/donald-dean-studey-alleged-iowa-serial-killer-daughter/10596323002/

DES MOINES, Iowa – Sheriff's deputies and state officials are investigating an Iowa woman's claim her late father was one of American's most prolific serial killers.

According to his daughter, Donald Dean Studey murdered "five or six" women a year over several decades and buried them in and around an abandoned well on his property near Thurman, Fremont County Sheriff Kevin Aistrope told the Des Moines Register, part of the USA TODAY Network.

Thurman, population 167 as of the last U.S. Census, is a small city near the Iowa- Nebraska state line. Studey's property is about 40 miles from Omaha, Nebraska, officials said.

On Oct. 21, two cadaver dogs took to the site had "hits" indicating the possible existence of decomposing remains in the area of the well, Aistrope said Monday.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

“For 45 years, Lucy Studey told anyone who would listen that her father had murdered scores of young women and buried them with the help of his children. No one believed her.“

45 years???? 😳

Wait, this woman has been telling people for 45 years that she helped bury dead women, and nobody ever investigated???  WTF is wrong with them?

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Wait, this woman has been telling people for 45 years that she helped bury dead women, and nobody ever investigated???  WTF is wrong with them?

The quotes about it in the Newsweek article suggest that people said it should remain a family matter. I wonder if her dad had such a bad reputation that people were scared to pursue it.

• Sad 2

I won't go into specifics because of the horror of it.   But a friend of a friend discovered that her Dad had been snatching, abusing, and killing kids for decades when she found his photo album after he died.   What somehow makes it worse for me was that he knew he was dying and he didn't have memory problems.   I almost phrased that as his mind was fine, but that is false at face value.   If you are wondering if you might have known one of the families, the police were given everything.   I asked my friend what she'd thought of the guy.  She said she thought he was a jerk but didn't get serial molester vibes.  

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Katy said:

Or she’s considered crazy and her older sister denied it.

It's not without precedent for some family members to not be privy to the whole story regarding abuse or dysfunction. I can't see a big leap to some people knowing and others not knowing about murder. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, kbutton said:

It's not without precedent for some family members to not be privy to the whole story regarding abuse or dysfunction. I can't see a big leap to some people knowing and others not knowing about murder. 

Or her mind won’t let her remember for self protection

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I’m not denying that he may have been a serial killer, and the oldest participated and is denying it. I’m saying if you have a very troubled family and the “normal” one dismissed the “crazy” one’s claims as outlandish, that’s how this gets ignored for years. 

• Like 2