Menu

I’m a prude - HoCo dresses

Katy

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s funny, as in interesting and unfair how dresses fit differently. Designers fit these dresses on girls built slender with few  curves. Now some of my girls are shaped like that. But some of my girls have very generous curves. You give them a scrap of fabric and it just doesn’t cover. My oldest daughter had a small waist but curves. Nothing for her the same as DD#2. She needed a few more inches of fabric! It didn’t mean she needed to go up sizes so clothes hung like a potato sack! It just meant designers and manufacturers need to plan on clothing going on REAL women. 

DD1 always has had a lot of challenges with clothes fitting - as a teen small waist, super curvy, very short… then I had DD2 as a teen - 5’4”, 98lbs - everything fits smoothly and perfectly. It was shocking to me how easy clothes are/were for her and, might I add, insanely unfair. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

It’s funny, as in interesting and unfair how dresses fit differently. Designers fit these dresses on girls built slender with few  curves. Now some of my girls are shaped like that. But some of my girls have very generous curves. You give them a scrap of fabric and it just doesn’t cover. My oldest daughter had a small waist but curves. Nothing for her the same as DD#2. She needed a few more inches of fabric! It didn’t mean she needed to go up sizes so clothes hung like a potato sack! It just meant designers and manufacturers need to plan on clothing going on REAL women. 

DD1 always has had a lot of challenges with clothes fitting - as a teen small waist, super curvy, very short… then I had DD2 as a teen - 5’4”, 98lbs - everything fits smoothly and perfectly. It was shocking to me how easy clothes are/were for her and, might I add, insanely unfair. 

This to ODD is just not a good fit for the current trend she is tall and curvy 3D's.   MDD can wear anything 5'6 and a hundred odd pounds of pure muscle like a Nastia lukin.

On 10/10/2022 at 6:37 PM, Mrs Tiggywinkle Again said:

That is essentially what my niece was wearing.  Like literally a fingertip below the butt if that.  I prefer shorter dresses that hit just above my knee, so I am not advocating for Amish clothing, but I don’t think a 13 year old should be wearing a dress that she needs to glue to her butt(which it is a thing and she did).

But I’m trying to figure out how to navigate this with my own daughter while having a healthy view of self and sexuality. 
But literally it won’t kill manufacturers to provide longer dress options for the girls or families that would prefer that.

With my dd, I emphasized practicality and comfort. I told here there is something seriously misogynistic in the fashion industry when a woman's dress up clothes are that uncomfortable or require ridiculous things like glue and tape, yet a man's does not. I said, "If the building is on fire, how well can you you run to the fire exit in stilletto heels? Is a dress so narrow that you cannot take a normal step much less a wide step? Think about the message the industry and society is giving you about your value and self worth when this is the kind of clothing they expect you to wear." I was fortunate though, of the five evening gowns/cocktail dresses she owned in high school, my mom was able to make every one of them. The cocktail dresses were appropriately short, but easy to wear, easy to move, no tape or glue required and very pretty. The evening gowns allowed her to take full steps with dress shoes on only 2" heels. I realize we were so damn lucky because mom did this. Off the rack options were ugh nearly ever time we looked, and in her era, and I am pretty certain a lot of girls at prom were gluing their chests to their dresses to prevent wardrobe malfunction. Meanwhile the boys donned a pair of pants, buttoned up a shirt, donned a pair of dress shoes they could still easily do anything in and that would not cause their backs and hips to go out of alignment nor cause foot damage, popped on a tie, threw the jacket over their shoulder, and were done. I am really running out of patience with the misogyny in fashion.😡

And for the record, every freaking dress and skirt should have pockets. All of them. Or level the playing field and take all the pockets out of men's pants! 😁

Is Eshakti making short dresses these days? I just wondered if their custom route where hem length and what not can be altered would be an option in the future.

• Like 4

I was so tempted by eshakti but I started hearing bad things about the dresses coming back not matching what was ordered and so I gave up.

My own daughter (only 6th grade so far) has decided to go the boot direction for dress shoes (tall black boots). I kind of hope she stays instead of doing the heel thing. I have never worn shoes with stilleto heels outside of a store. One one friend's suggestion, I tried some tallish heels on in store. but when I was wobbling walking around I steadfastly refused to buy them. Flats and low, wide heels are enough for me. If they are not enough for the viewer, that's okay. I have to be able to wear them.

• Like 1

If sneakers were not in style my dd would have worn bedazzled flip flops I think. She likes to be cute but comfort still wins. She still hasn’t shaken the homeschooler off of her and hopefully she doesn’t. Lol. 

But again, anything goes at her school style wise. Very diverse and she already hangs with the quirky kids so not a lot of pressure to be cool. Phew.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

Is Eshakti making short dresses these days? I just wondered if their custom route where hem length and what not can be altered would be an option in the future.

I was not impressed with eShakti in the least. I tried ordering regular sizes and I also tried ordering a custom fit for one dress. All disastrous. The clothes were not well made and not well fitted.

The worst one was a shirt with a crisscross front. This is a style I wear often as the crisscross, wrapped look hides/camouflages the weight I carry in my middle. What they sent me was basically a karate top--an open little jacket, meant to be belted shut to look like a shirt. The belt was miles long and meant to be woven through two slits, which were huge and showed several cringe-worthy inches of bare flesh at my waist. Just these random massive gaps showing my waist where it was not intended to show. The whole thing was dependent on tying the belt exactly right, and I would have had to alter those hideous slits anyway as they gapped badly no matter what. I returned it. 

I had also tried a dress and a pair of pants. For the dress, not only did I pay for the customization, I also sent them photos of myself. The clothes they sent were absolutely awful.

I do a lot of sewing myself and have made numerous formal dresses, including two wedding dresses. The mistakes in design and tailoring were basic and very disappointing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I was not impressed with eShakti in the least. I tried ordering regular sizes and I also tried ordering a custom fit for one dress. All disastrous. The clothes were not well made and not well fitted.

The worst one was a shirt with a crisscross front. This is a style I wear often as the crisscross, wrapped look hides/camouflages the weight I carry in my middle. What they sent me was basically a karate top--an open little jacket, meant to be belted shut to look like a shirt. The belt was miles long and meant to be woven through two slits, which were huge and showed several cringe-worthy inches of bare flesh at my waist. Just these random massive gaps showing my waist where it was not intended to show. The whole thing was dependent on tying the belt exactly right, and I would have had to alter those hideous slits anyway as they gapped badly no matter what. I returned it. 

I had also tried a dress and a pair of pants. For the dress, not only did I pay for the customization, I also sent them photos of myself. The clothes they sent were absolutely awful.

I do a lot of sewing myself and have made numerous formal dresses, including two wedding dresses. The mistakes in design and tailoring were basic and very disappointing. 

I have never ordered from eShakti. Bummer!

• Like 1

My dd (15) is a bit curvier, so finding a homecoming dress was a bit challenging this year. She loves to dress up though and honestly, feeling like she is “in-style” is very important to her. I remember being 15, so I get it. We went with this dress and it was super cute on her! Short, but not tight, which fit her body nicely. She wore nude heels and looked great. 

I’ve found that like with most things in parenting, I’m handling this situation a little differently than I thought I would. When my kiddos were tiny, I’m sure I spent time wondering what parent would let their daughters out of the house dressed like that!? Now that I have a teenage daughter (along with an 18 yo son in college), I realize that it is just way more complicated than that. Obviously there are dresses that I would put my foot down and refuse to purchase, but my daughter’s taste, what others are wearing, etc. matters too. It’s just not as simple as I once thought it would be. 

D0E97BEC-B1F5-4084-8C01-C265A2AFC4A2.png

• Like 3