Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~September 2022 Frugalistas~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope you are feeling ok.  Odd but I was feeling like that today too.  Weather changes?

That is really cool that your church has an orchard.  I think that would be a great idea for a ton of churches.

I love it, both for the help it gives to those in need and for the opportunity to serve with my family.  Every congregation in the region is assigned a few rows, they let us know when “our” rows are ready for some work, and we go out a few times a year to thin or harvest fruit.  They also sell excess fruit at a low price when they have any excess, but there hasn’t been much for the last few years as need has been higher.  

• Like 2

I’m still trying to figure out some healthy, filling options for sides for dd13 to take in her lunches.  These are in addition to a fruit and a veggie.  She’s decided she doesn’t like the seafood snackers after all (I guess the novelty wore off?).  I suggested yogurt and she said sure.  I bought a box of the individually packaged yogurts for her to take, but I saw the disappointed look on her face when we were putting away the groceries.  I bought the cheap brand, and am now wondering if she is actually going to eat it.  She suggested those peanut butter filled pretzels, and we got some, but they are pretty expensive.  I’m thinking I should get some condiment-sized containers and try sending peanut butter with pretzels to dip.  Hummus could be another option with those.  Her other suggestion was granola bars, so I decided to try making some from scratch.  Hopefully the kids like them; they were pretty easy and quick to make.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Condessa said:

I’m still trying to figure out some healthy, filling options for sides for dd13 to take in her lunches.  These are in addition to a fruit and a veggie.  She’s decided she doesn’t like the seafood snackers after all (I guess the novelty wore off?).  I suggested yogurt and she said sure.  I bought a box of the individually packaged yogurts for her to take, but I saw the disappointed look on her face when we were putting away the groceries.  I bought the cheap brand, and am now wondering if she is actually going to eat it.  She suggested those peanut butter filled pretzels, and we got some, but they are pretty expensive.  I’m thinking I should get some condiment-sized containers and try sending peanut butter with pretzels to dip.  Hummus could be another option with those.  Her other suggestion was granola bars, so I decided to try making some from scratch.  Hopefully the kids like them; they were pretty easy and quick to make.

I can't remember what you said she didn't like.  My kids have hollow legs, but they do go through phases where they like something one week and then not the other.

sometimes they will like cheese sticks and then other times they want slices or cubes of it. 

With veggies they like ranch, hummus, and or guac to dip it in and get more calories.

Apples with peanut butter and anything else to top.

Crackers with hummus or other dips

Granola bars

Yogurt with toppings, like granola.  sometimes they like frozen gogurts

Pretzels with peanut butter to dip. 

A side salad?  Reg., pasta, potato

Nuts or trail mix

Soup, macaroni and cheese, oatmeal or chili. We have soup containers for on the go and they put lots of different things in there.

Meat, cheese, and crackers? 

Applesauce.  Even my big kids will do the pouches.  Although those are more expensive

We just found these chicken or tuna salad kits they have at walmart.  They are made by bumble Bee.  You probably could make the kit cheaper on your own. But it is a fast snack to grab.

Hard boiled eggs

walking nachos with all the toppings

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

As she’s 13, can you just give her a lunch budget and let her decide? I had a hard to please teen for a few months and this was a good solution for us. 

• Like 3

About to put in a large dance order with the 30% off sale at DD. 

I need to sell some of their old brand new dance stuff. 

Just took a bunch of stuff to donations including tons of outgrown dance shoes in all the styles. 

Picking up a grocery order, but there were tons of stuff not available.  So we shall see what we get.  Last week it was a disaster. 

We have super nice new neighbors who keep giving us stuff.  Cookies for fathers day, homemade salsa, and tons of veggies from their garden.  So dh is picking up something for them as a thank you. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 1:35 PM, mommyoffive said:

got gas

did some shopping at Aldi.

Had to pay shipping to return something.

Got some medical bills in today.  Yay.

Will owe $ when I pick up the glasses.

I have 3 kids in braces now.  Made the payment for the newest one. 

DS hit a growth spurt and blew through sizes.  Only problem is I stocked up on New Balance men's shoes that I got new for $12 a pair.  I stocked up on all the sizes thinking he would grow through each one every few months.  Instead he went up 2 whole sizes.  So now I have to figure out what to do with all these brand new shoes.  He and dh now wear the same size.  Now he is going to need all new shoes and boots. 

I need to do a grocery order this weekend.  Oh and order some dance gear.

What sizes are they?

New week, new ways to be frugal!  LOL

I meal planned yesterday before going to the grocery store:

Monday dinner: ginger-pork meatballs with bok choy, carrots, rice, and pickled radish.  There was an entire large serving left after we were done, and making the meatballs with pork saved me about $1.50/lb compared to beef.  Dh and I had made frozen tablespoons of ginger/garlic/turmeric paste last month, which streamlined the chopping and cutting.

Lunch for ds Tuesday: bologna and cheese on rye, strawberries (on sale), chips, and a single serving Special K pastry bar.  I found 2 boxes of them on the clearance rack at the grocery store because the boxes were dented.

Tuesday dinner: lasagna, french bread, caesar salad with tomato & radish.  I'll be starting the lasagna dough here soon.  It's cheaper for me to make it from scratch than it is to buy it.  I'll make the noodles, make the sauce, and then the filling is a mixture of grated veggies, a half pork/half beef mixture (I had about 3/4lb of beef in the freezer), chopped spinach, and cheese.  It'll be pretty hefty and make two trays when I'm done, with one going in the freezer.

Lunch for ds Wednesday: cheese tortellini (from frozen) with pesto (homemade), garlic bread, caesar salad (dressing on the side), Ho-Ho (from a dented box in the clearance section last month)

Wednesday dinner: chicken dish with a mustard curry sauce, rice with currants & carrots, zucchini rounds.

Lunch for ds Thursday: chicken breast slices (cooked at the same time as Wednesday dinner), twice baked potato, strawberries, cheese bites, sugar cookies. The clearance rack provided again, with cooky mixes for $1 and the bags don't expire for another month. 

Thursday dinner: Leftovers/clean out the fridge night.

Friday lunch for ds: bologna and cheese on rye, strawberries, yogurt, sugar cookies

Friday dinner: burrito at home for ds at 3:30, Wendy's Biggie Bag at 5:30 after practice, and snack to take with him to his camping trip.  Dh and I?  Not sure yet.

My grocery bill for this week was $98 for all ingredients, which isn't bad!  I kept the meat purchases low, have ds's lunches jumping off of dinners, and am letting the clearance rack provide the sweets for his lunch.

• Like 5

from moneysavingmom.com

Right now, you can get a set of six 5×7 photo cards at Walgreens!

Just upload your pictures on the Walgreens site, design your cards, go to checkout, use coupon code BIGDEAL6 and choose in-store pickup. Your total should be $0.00!

Valid for a limited time only.

Pizza Hut Coupon Code

Pizza Hut is offering a FREE Medium 1-Topping Pizza for new Hut Rewards Members (free to join)! Just sign up her and look under rewards to see this coupon.

Note: This is only valid for NEW rewards members. You should see it under the “points” tab when you log in to your account:

And don't forget Book It for kids.

Home | The Pizza Hut BOOK IT! Program (bookitprogram.com)

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 2

Just wanted y'all to know how inspiring these threads are. I've never been particularly frugal, but when my husband (who does the grocery shopping now, from my list) came home earlier this summer with chicken breasts that were $7.50/pound, I flipped out and got to work. Now I look at what I've spent over the years just by not paying attention and am appalled. I started a running list of the expenses I've cut and refer to it at least weekly to see what else I can add. I do not yet have much to contribute to this thread (I will add a question below, though); I just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration.

Now for my question: has anyone who has USAA car insurance used their safe driver app? It promises discounts of up to 30%, which would be significant (4 drivers, 5 cars). We've all installed it, but we are still in our 14-day learning period, so I don't know how it will translate to actual discounts. It definitely makes me leave my phone alone at stop lights, though.

One other thing--we switched to T Mobile 5G internet ($50/month) and are saving $30/month over Comcast, plus we got a month free.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, plansrme said:

Just wanted y'all to know how inspiring these threads are. I've never been particularly frugal, but when my husband (who does the grocery shopping now, from my list) came home earlier this summer with chicken breasts that were $7.50/pound, I flipped out and got to work. Now I look at what I've spent over the years just by not paying attention and am appalled. I started a running list of the expenses I've cut and refer to it at least weekly to see what else I can add. I do not yet have much to contribute to this thread (I will add a question below, though); I just wanted to say thanks for the inspiration.

Now for my question: has anyone who has USAA car insurance used their safe driver app? It promises discounts of up to 30%, which would be significant (4 drivers, 5 cars). We've all installed it, but we are still in our 14-day learning period, so I don't know how it will translate to actual discounts. It definitely makes me leave my phone alone at stop lights, though.

One other thing--we switched to T Mobile 5G internet ($50/month) and are saving $30/month over Comcast, plus we got a month free.

Glad to have you here.  Everyone has such good tips and ideas, so the more the merrier. 

I don't have USAA.

Ugh you are lucky to have options for internet.  We have one.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, plansrme said:

I don't have USAA but my insurance had a similar program.  It's been a couple of years but I think it dropped our total a couple hundred dollars.  We hated dealing with the driving app but stuck with it, money saved in any amount is still money saved.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I don't have USAA but my insurance had a similar program.  It's been a couple of years but I think it dropped our total a couple hundred dollars.  We hated dealing with the driving app but stuck with it, money saved in any amount is still money saved.

We have American Family, and we use their app. It's currently saving us 20%. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

What sizes are what?  the shoes at Costco?

The ones I got for youngest are sketchers and they come in kid size 11-4

The ones I got for ds are men's.

Lol yes, sorry, the shoes you got that he grew through. Was wondering if we could make a deal if you didn't part with them yet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Lol yes, sorry, the shoes you got that he grew through. Was wondering if we could make a deal if you didn't part with them yet.

Oh duh.  He had a pair of 9, 9.5, and 10(2 pairs of these)  of these New Balance shoes

NEW BALANCE Nitrel V3 Trail Running Shoes - SIZE 12 MEN'S - FREE PRIORITY SHIP | eBay

The 9's I think he wore for 2-3 weeks rarely.

9.5 and 10s he didn't wear.

11 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh duh.  He had a pair of 9, 9.5, and 10(2 pairs of these)  of these New Balance shoes

NEW BALANCE Nitrel V3 Trail Running Shoes - SIZE 12 MEN'S - FREE PRIORITY SHIP | eBay

The 9's I think he wore for 2-3 weeks rarely.

9.5 and 10s he didn't wear.

Thanks for sharing. The sizes would be great but he didn't like the style. 🙄 With that Ebay list price though, you should probably sell them there!

• Like 1

Some deals.  All from hip2save

Lane Bryant Coupon | $10 Off $10+ Online Purchase (hip2save.com)

So HOT! Over $21 Worth of Crest Toothpastes Only 37¢ After Target Gift Card & Cash Back (hip2save.com)

Through October 16th, head over to your local Sam’s Club where you can score a Sam’s Club 1-Year Membership and $45 off your first $45+ purchase for just $45 total! Note that your $45 Instant Savings discount is valid in-club for 60 days from the date you purchase your membership, and that your purchase much be made at a register.

Head over to Disney Plus where you can enjoy a ton of new movies and shows now premiering in celebration of Disney Plus Day! These new titles include both brand-new releases and old favorites. There’s bound to be something for everyone in your family to enjoy!

In addition, through September 19th, Disney is offering new and returning subscribers one month of Disney Plus for just $1.99! Keep in mind, that after the one-month promo ends your subscription will be auto-renewed at the standard $7.99 per month price unless canceled.

Before you head out to Kroger this week, be sure to check our list of the store’s best deals below, and don’t forget to load coupons to your account from the Kroger Digital Coupon page or the store’s mobile app.

Through October 3rd, save $15 on your first pickup or delivery order of $75+ when you clip this digital coupon!

• Like 1

DS needed a 3in binder.  We did a quick search of the house and found his 5th grade history work was housed in one.  I moved the papers to the year's file and we gave the binder a once over with a damp cloth.  It's good as new and he's all set, without having to run around to find one at a store.

• Like 4

I started the sign up process with USAA car insurance, but I still don't have the title. It's been a disaster. They pitched their safe driving app to me but I said I wasn't interested. I might reconsider when I actually get the car insurance added. I didn't want to do it because I get lost so often I have to use my GPS and it's much easier to click siri and say, "Siri, navigate me to XYZ" then to pull out the old garmin. So I don't trust myself to actually do well with the app. 

Best Buy recycles old electronics. I used to work there. I drop things off sometimes. Only once did they try to charge me a fee. I made a stink and they left me alone and I left the item with them. 

I made $100 cash today doing some cleaning for my neighbor. It was a last min request last night because she had a relative coming over today (due to time constraints and health issues she and her husband didn't feel like they would be able to do it). I said she gave me too much money, but she insisted. We're actually kinda friends. I worked with her years ago and we talk sometimes. That money is going directly to my medical fund. When I get the bills for my tailbone xray and ds' ER visit, hopefully I'll be prepared. 

• Like 3

My intention was to spend no money this month outside of essentials.  I had some some Amazon gift cards saved up from Bing rewards points that I was going to use on my former foster daughter’s birthday present, but Amazon didn’t have what I wanted to get her, so I spent $30 getting it from Ebay.  (Apparently leap frog doesn’t make word whammers anymore, the kind that goes on the fridge with the magnetic letters.)  I can’t believe little Z is starting Kindergarten and turning 6 already!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

A guy down the road manages several Targets. He says they are packed with overstock and can't move it fast enough. Has been that way for months. Target lost a lot of revenue last quarter. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

A guy down the road manages several Targets. He says they are packed with overstock and can't move it fast enough. Has been that way for months. Target lost a lot of revenue last quarter. 

Target did some bad merchandising. I have never seen so much that I didn’t want to buy. Their clearance sales aren’t very aggressive either—pricing is about what 2021 numbers were. SMH.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Target did some bad merchandising. I have never seen so much that I didn’t want to buy. Their clearance sales aren’t very aggressive either—pricing is about what 2021 numbers were. SMH.

There is a ton of stuff 70% off here, but it's kind of too little too late. But majority of people have little to no discretionary funds right now, so even at deep discounts it won't move.

• Like 2

I pressure-washed a polyester (but big and, therefore, expensive) rug last weekend, not knowing if it would work but figuring I had nothing to lose. It took 4 days to dry in my garage, but we put it back in last night, and it worked! It is 90% as good as new--one corner could have used some more attention, but it's really hard to see that when it's holding 500 gallons of water. This rug sits under my breakfast room table and between the 3 doors we use to go in and out of the house, so it gets a ton of traffic from dirty outside feet. I feel like I saved $300+. Professional cleaning would have cost over $200; a new rug would have been closer to $400; keeping it in this condition was not a viable option. Now I am looking around to see what else I can pressure wash. . .

• Like 5

I got a great haul yesterday from the Franz bakery outlet store where I buy bread.  The best price you can normally get on the cheapest, oldest bread is now up to $1.50 a loaf, but they had the same bread much fresher today going 5 for $5.  They also had some doughnuts and cookies for $1 each.  Combining that with their “loyalty” deals, I paid $22 and now have a freezer full of bread.  For that I got 23 loaves of bread, 3 packages bagels, 1 of breadsticks, 1 double sized package hot dog buns, a box of doughnuts, and a package of cookies.  

• Like 6

Gave away a ton of things over the week. I am glad people came and picked things up.

I have some bags ready to go to donate for the weekend.

Got the new shoes I ordered 2 kids and they fit.  Yay.  Got all the dance stuff in yesterday too.  

Got word that my next dd is going to get her first pair of pointe shoes if she wants to go up.  Yay and $$$$.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Condessa said:

I got a great haul yesterday from the Franz bakery outlet store where I buy bread.  The best price you can normally get on the cheapest, oldest bread is now up to $1.50 a loaf, but they had the same bread much fresher today going 5 for $5.  They also had some doughnuts and cookies for $1 each.  Combining that with their “loyalty” deals, I paid $22 and now have a freezer full of bread.  For that I got 23 loaves of bread, 3 packages bagels, 1 of breadsticks, 1 double sized package hot dog buns, a box of doughnuts, and a package of cookies.  

Great haul! I miss my local bread outlet; it closed and never reopened during the pandemic. Although since Youngest is gluten free now, I don't know how often I would use it.

I bought my first Christmas present this morning. I work at a library, and they are having their quarterly booksale starting today. I didn't feel right snagging the books prior to the sale when I was setting up (although other people do it), so I got there at 9 am when they opened and bought a bag full of Stephen King hardbacks for $10 total. SK is middle DD's guilty pleasure.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Great haul! I miss my local bread outlet; it closed and never reopened during the pandemic. Although since Youngest is gluten free now, I don't know how often I would use it.

I bought my first Christmas present this morning. I work at a library, and they are having their quarterly booksale starting today. I didn't feel right snagging the books prior to the sale when I was setting up (although other people do it), so I got there at 9 am when they opened and bought a bag full of Stephen King hardbacks for $10 total. SK is middle DD's guilty pleasure.

Score.  I bet your dd is going to love that.  It reminds me that I need to get odd tons of books again for Christmas. 

I miss a bread outlet too. We had one as kids and it was the best thing ever.  

• Like 1

On 9/9/2022 at 9:12 AM, plansrme said:

I pressure-washed a polyester (but big and, therefore, expensive) rug last weekend, not knowing if it would work but figuring I had nothing to lose. It took 4 days to dry in my garage, but we put it back in last night, and it worked! It is 90% as good as new--one corner could have used some more attention, but it's really hard to see that when it's holding 500 gallons of water. This rug sits under my breakfast room table and between the 3 doors we use to go in and out of the house, so it gets a ton of traffic from dirty outside feet. I feel like I saved $300+. Professional cleaning would have cost over $200; a new rug would have been closer to $400; keeping it in this condition was not a viable option. Now I am looking around to see what else I can pressure wash. . .

I wish I could pressure wash my shower rod. When I moved in here they had a rod above the shower that looks old and dirty but has all these groves in it so I will have to take it down and scrub it probably. None of my long tension rods were long enough and so far I haven't wanted to buy a new one. 

Edited by heartlikealion
  • Like 1

Last night used a gift card to eat out with dd. I haven't looked at the receipt to see the current balance but I know we cut it close. I had enough to cover all the food, then I gave the waiter cash for tip. The cash came from the house cleaning I did earlier this week. 

I didn't want to buy a ton of stuff at the grocery store. I decided one night this weekend we can have breakfast (I have eggs, breakfast sausage and bread to make French toast). I bought meat and I take it out of the freezer as I need it. Xh sent some strawberries over here with dd. 

I'm mad I guess I got the wrong oatmeal. The pieces are huge. But I don't want to waste it. I'm going to put it in my ninja chopper to make it smaller. Dd ate two bowls of it as is and didn't complain lol. But it drives me nuts. 

I went through my holiday bins last night and saw Halloween fabric. I'll see if I have enough length to make some scrunchies for fall fest to sell. They confirmed with me that I can sell baked goods and I think my oven has stopped doing that nasty off gassing smell. 

• Like 2

It has been a bare bones spending week, which is very needed.  Dh and I are going out to eat tonight now that I'm healthy but I'll be using a gift card I got from mil for my bday.  Tip will be cash.  We also have to head to home depot and buy a few chemicals for closing the pool.  Looking forward to the expense going away until May.

• Like 3

The Word Whammer came in the mail and it does not work, despite the seller being highly rated and the listing stating that it had been fully tested.  I am so disappointed.  Even if I get a full refund, it is too late to get a different one and have it come by Z’s birthday.  It might be too late to get something off Amazon even, as it’s over a weekend and her birthday is Tuesday.  Which leaves nothing but the local Walmart.  Dang it!

• Sad 3

We ate out last night.  Ds had a busy schedule and was stopping home just long enough to shower and get back in the car. It wouldn't have been so bad except he needed to put up a tent before dark, or else I'd have had him eat before leaving.  DH and I ended up splitting duties where I was getting food at the same time he was bringing ds home from the other direction. I used the mobile Wendy's app and got two sandwiches for the price of 1 plus $1, a $5 biggie bag, and a large fries.  I snagged two drinks from home, threw everything in dh's car, and as soon as ds was out of the shower he was back in the car to eat.  $17-ish for dinner for the three of us.

Today I dropped off a bunch of things at the thrift shop and spent $17 on two pairs of pants for ds12, two books, a box of math manipulatives, and a non-electric coin counter.  Not all needed, but all will be appreciated.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Condessa said:

The Word Whammer came in the mail and it does not work, despite the seller being highly rated and the listing stating that it had been fully tested.  I am so disappointed.  Even if I get a full refund, it is too late to get a different one and have it come by Z’s birthday.  It might be too late to get something off Amazon even, as it’s over a weekend and her birthday is Tuesday.  Which leaves nothing but the local Walmart.  Dang it!

Ugh that is so frustrating.  I am sorry.  You should get a full refund.  Maybe your Walmart has a toy clearance going on?  

• Like 1