Menu

Desperate for 11th grade online suggestions

I made the decision last week for my 11th grader to not return to public school and I’m going cross eyed trying to find a good online program for her. She is smart but has nosedived at public school over the past couple of years. For reference, she has a 1.7 GPA. Her goal is to work in the fashion industry and is quite talented in that realm, but not so much in academics. Any recommendations appreciated❤️

4 minutes ago, BusyMom5 said:

Is she on board with this?  Because if she's not, it will go badly.   You need to get her to understand that she needs the knowledge gained in high school to do her dream job.  Good luck!  

Yes she is very on board, has been begging me to get her out of public school for years now. 

14 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

Are you looking for one provider that covers everything or are you looking for on-line classes for specific subjects?

Would love the ease of one provider but I’m open to splitting it up if that would benefit her more

Could she build a plan that starts - NOW - her fashion industry goals? (As in - if your state has requirements for high school, start there. If her desired post-high school plans involve certification / classes / education of some kind, get that list next. Pour a huge cup of coffee, sit at table with DD, and make a list of what she NEEDS, what she WANTS, and how she can be MOST successful this upcoming year. She needs to step up and own this; it MUST be a team effort. But if she's willing to do the work, this ship (the GPA) can be turned around, and she CAN have a hugely successful home-based education. 

What courses would she take if she were returning to school? What would she do all day if she had NO coursework required but couldn't goof off? (It's a LOT to think about, especially all at once.)

Core / Typical 11th grade includes math, science, history / social studies, English. Build from there, and feel free to custom-design a course if that sounds appealing to her (example: history of fashion as it reflects geo-political events, especially in both France & Russia . . . get some books . . . have her read them & put together either a video or a paper or some way to share what she's learning. Keep track of things. History doesn't have to be "traditional.")

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lucy the Valiant said:

Could she build a plan that starts - NOW - her fashion industry goals? (As in - if your state has requirements for high school, start there. If her desired post-high school plans involve certification / classes / education of some kind, get that list next. Pour a huge cup of coffee, sit at table with DD, and make a list of what she NEEDS, what she WANTS, and how she can be MOST successful this upcoming year. She needs to step up and own this; it MUST be a team effort. But if she's willing to do the work, this ship (the GPA) can be turned around, and she CAN have a hugely successful home-based education. 

What courses would she take if she were returning to school? What would she do all day if she had NO coursework required but couldn't goof off? (It's a LOT to think about, especially all at once.)

Core / Typical 11th grade includes math, science, history / social studies, English. Build from there, and feel free to custom-design a course if that sounds appealing to her (example: history of fashion as it reflects geo-political events, especially in both France & Russia . . . get some books . . . have her read them & put together either a video or a paper or some way to share what she's learning. Keep track of things. History doesn't have to be "traditional.")

Love this advice! Custom designing a course feels out of my realm though, which is why I’m looking for an online curriculum. I’m also working outside the home, but I can take her with me to be sure she’s staying on task. Found some classes on Outschool that seem interesting but idk if that’s a good place to start?

24 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

Love this advice! Custom designing a course feels out of my realm though, which is why I’m looking for an online curriculum. I’m also working outside the home, but I can take her with me to be sure she’s staying on task. Found some classes on Outschool that seem interesting but idk if that’s a good place to start?

Do you have certain classes in mind? 
Lots of online courses will be full by now, but if we know what courses she wants to take, it’s easier to recommend. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Roadrunner said:

Do you have certain classes in mind? 
Lots of online courses will be full by now, but if we know what courses she wants to take, it’s easier to recommend. 

Algebra 2, English 3 (or 11th grade equivalent), US History, Chemistry and Digital Art Design were what she was was going to be taking in public school this year. All advanced level, but considering her GPA she may be better suited for CP. 

How strong of a math student is she? Is her Alg 1 foundation solid?

Does she want American Lit to go with U.S. History?

Are there areas where she needs remediation? 

Secular or Christian providers? 
How are her study skills? 

Agreeing with Lucy the Valiant that her home education should be focused on her interests and she should help design.

Are there local tutorials or classes she might enjoy? 

If she is going to homeschool, as opposed to do school at home, you will have to be involved.  Outsourcing instruction does not mean parents can just watch from the outside. Even super mature kids need mentoring, interaction, supervision etc. Coming off two difficult years in ps into a completely different way of doing education, she will need extra support. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

How strong of a math student is she? Is her Alg 1 foundation solid?

Does she want American Lit to go with U.S. History?

Are there areas where she needs remediation? 

Secular or Christian providers? 
How are her study skills? 

Agreeing with Lucy the Valiant that her home education should be focused on her interests and she should help design.

Are there local tutorials or classes she might enjoy? 

If she is going to homeschool, as opposed to do school at home, you will have to be involved.  Outsourcing instruction does not mean parents can just watch from the outside. Even super mature kids need mentoring, interaction, supervision etc. Coming off two difficult years in ps into a completely different way of doing education, she will need extra support. 

Algebra 1 foundation is shaky. Yes to American Lit (assuming that’s English 3) and no preference on secular vs Christian. Her study skills aren’t great, but may have more to do with anxiety and dread she had with public school. We’re planning on outside photography classes and possibly sewing. I’m fine with giving her the extra support, just have no clue which online school would be the best fit for her. I’ve spent 2 solid days looking at different ones, reading reviews and still have no clue which way to go or even if I’m looking at the right review sites (Niche.com, Consumerreports, Facebook reviews, etc). 

Unfortunately those are not the places I would go for homeschool reviews.  I look at Cathy Duffy reviews and I read here.  I suggest you start with one subject, research,  then choose.  Then move to the next subject.  Its too overwhelming to try to pick it all. 

Here is a list of my suggestions!

Math- you say Algebra 1 is shakey, so I'd suggest taking it again.   You can speed through the material or test through if she has a lot of it.  I assume you will need an online video instruction or a class.  My suggestion would be Saxon Algebra 1 with Nicole the Math Lady.  You can self-pace it, speed through,  and try to get into the Algebra 1 book by Christmas.  Saxon has a lot of review.  Some people think this is boring,  but it does drill the information into their heads!  I think this is good for a student who has struggled.  You can personalize the problem sets by assigning mostly ones she needs help with. 30 problems will problem be too many. You can also use Khan Academy online for extra practice.   

English 3- I tend to piece my English classes together,  focusing on the problem areas.  If you like the Outschool classes, that's one way to go about it!  My creative kid really enjoyed Writing and Rhetoric.   It says its for younger kids, but its still got a lot of good info in it! Start with book 5 and move through as quickly as she needs.  If your DD is the creative type, you might look at it.  Another at-home option might be Write Shop.  The literature component can be a list of novels, but before she starts reading, I highly suggest How to Read Literature Like a Professor for Kids.  I usually read with my kids and discuss.   

Science- Chemistry is hard for a kid who doesn't have a strong algebra base- for my own kids I waited until they were done with Algebra 2.  For that reason,  I suggest Guest Hollow Chemistry in the Kitchen.  It will be FUN!  It will not have much math, more the conceptual approach.

US History- I love the Joy Hakim series The Story of Us.  Its a 10-book series that is easily readable and enjoyable.  You can add in movies and documentaries.  There is a workbook you can get, or just assign 3-4 research papers for her grade.  She could do 1 book a month and finish in one year.  These are written more like a story than a history textbook. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BusyMom5 said:

Unfortunately those are not the places I would go for homeschool reviews.  I look at Cathy Duffy reviews and I read here.  I suggest you start with one subject, research,  then choose.  Then move to the next subject.  Its too overwhelming to try to pick it all. 

Here is a list of my suggestions!

Math- you say Algebra 1 is shakey, so I'd suggest taking it again.   You can speed through the material or test through if she has a lot of it.  I assume you will need an online video instruction or a class.  My suggestion would be Saxon Algebra 1 with Nicole the Math Lady.  You can self-pace it, speed through,  and try to get into the Algebra 1 book by Christmas.  Saxon has a lot of review.  Some people think this is boring,  but it does drill the information into their heads!  I think this is good for a student who has struggled.  You can personalize the problem sets by assigning mostly ones she needs help with. 30 problems will problem be too many. You can also use Khan Academy online for extra practice.   

English 3- I tend to piece my English classes together,  focusing on the problem areas.  If you like the Outschool classes, that's one way to go about it!  My creative kid really enjoyed Writing and Rhetoric.   It says its for younger kids, but its still got a lot of good info in it! Start with book 5 and move through as quickly as she needs.  If your DD is the creative type, you might look at it.  Another at-home option might be Write Shop.  The literature component can be a list of novels, but before she starts reading, I highly suggest How to Read Literature Like a Professor for Kids.  I usually read with my kids and discuss.   

Science- Chemistry is hard for a kid who doesn't have a strong algebra base- for my own kids I waited until they were done with Algebra 2.  For that reason,  I suggest Guest Hollow Chemistry in the Kitchen.  It will be FUN!  It will not have much math, more the conceptual approach.

US History- I love the Joy Hakim series The Story of Us.  Its a 10-book series that is easily readable and enjoyable.  You can add in movies and documentaries.  There is a workbook you can get, or just assign 3-4 research papers for her grade.  She could do 1 book a month and finish in one year.  These are written more like a story than a history textbook. 

So very helpful, thank you!! Going to look at your suggestions now 🙂

I agree with a high school plan focused on preparation for a career.  I would add this to your student's curriculum:

Designing Your Life  (Summary:  informational interviews are so very important!)

So Good They Can't Ignore You  (Summary:  Excellence trumps passion)

I'm not familiar with the fashion industry but I have a vague sense that it's a competitive field?  She'll want to be well prepared to compete.  (I had recommended these books in another thread so they were top of my mind.)  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would work on math and English first, then move to content subjects. I would suggest NOT having a full slate of online courses. Keep some things at home. All online with a variety of providers is crazy scheduling and also just too much time on a screen imo. 

Agreeing with repeat Algebra 1 if it's not solid. Good online providers to check out:

Mom 31257

Jann in TX

Also, Mr D math

The first two are boardies! 

Schole Academy and Center for Lit both have a gentle approach, but solid content for English. Lantern English has some good, 8 week, targeted writing classes.

Don't rush the classes. Get the big picture first. I would sit down with your Dd, think and talk and write about goals. As mentioned above, what does she need, what does she want. Does she have to graduate at 18, or can you take an extra year to recover from the rough ps experience? That would give her breathing room on graduation requirements. Do you have to register with your state as a homeschooler or have an umbrella school?

7 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

Completely agreeing with this.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

I would work on math and English first, then move to content subjects. I would suggest NOT having a full slate of online courses. Keep some things at home. All online with a variety of providers is crazy scheduling and also just too much time on a screen imo. 

Agreeing with repeat Algebra 1 if it's not solid. Good online providers to check out:

Mom 31257

Jann in TX

Also, Mr D math

The first two are boardies! 

Schole Academy and Center for Lit both have a gentle approach, but solid content for English. Lantern English has some good, 8 week, targeted writing classes.

Don't rush the classes. Get the big picture first. I would sit down with your Dd, think and talk and write about goals. As mentioned above, what does she need, what does she want. Does she have to graduate at 18, or can you take an extra year to recover from the rough ps experience? That would give her breathing room on graduation requirements. Do you have to register with your state as a homeschooler or have an umbrella school?

Thank you so much for your suggestions! Looking into them now.

• Like 1

I second Jenn in TX math courses. I would look to see if there is a spot at onlineG3 for history since those are interested and yet low output courses. For English, IEW for writing and you can just pick literature based on interest to read and discuss. Maybe wait on chemistry until she is stronger in math and do something else instead? I would suggest environmental science course. Even the AP course won’t be nearly as hard as chemistry. 

• Like 1

Adding Aim Academy as another provider with lots of classes (I teach there). Also, for a student like this, I would use Outschool potentially. Are you looking for Christian or secular options or either? Taylor Made is good basic science. Learning Outside the Box has some interesting discussion classes.

Oh, and seconding both Jann's math classes and Mr. D's Math for this sort of student.

Edited by Farrar
  • Like 1

If you aren't worried about live classes you could check the academic boxes with Power Homeschool.  She can choose from the various courses to cover what she needs and can review Algebra 1 then switch to other math without spending more.  Then you can help her find courses in fashion but that's the only part you are piecing together.

Here's another option for reviewing Algebra 1: https://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/collections/essential-review-courses/products/algebra-1-essentials

From there she can move on to geometry. A good algebra 2 course will overlap with a good algebra 1 course to account for the possible 15 month gap, so I don't think it's worth redoing algebra 1.

Edited by Malam
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

There were school districts using this when pandemic hit. 😞

There still are.

I can appreciate that some kids need... super basic, asynchronous. But hey, there are things out there like FLVS instead. Or study(dot)com. Reputable things not run by people who made up their own degrees and try to say they attended Ivy League schools that they went to for a few open enrollment classes. Like, ew. And I can't say I recommend those either, but at least they're not run by cults. Seriously, people on my local groups all think Power Homeschool is the bestest, but I'd love to keep any mention of it off WTM.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/14/2022 at 8:08 PM, Farrar said:

Please don’t use Power Homeschool. It’s all kinds of messed up.

I had no idea.  It gets suggested by users all the time on FB groups so I thought it was a legit choice.  I won't suggest it again.  I was mostly trying to suggest focusing on their interests/strengths and let academics take a back seat.

• Like 1

There are still openings in some classes (various subjects) at www.opententacademy.com. One of Miss Eva's writing classes will provide an excellent, rigorous year of composition based on IEW principles but with her own unique spin.

You could also look at classes at www.fundafunda.com (Funda Funda Academy), https://at-tps.org (The Potter's School), or www.excelsiorclasses.com (Excelsior Classes).

For Science and Math: www.myfunscience.com

Decided on Outschool for English, Algebra 2 with a homeschool co-op and tutor and French with Aim Academy. All of these are year long courses. I’d love to find a good 1 semester long US history so we can do that first semester and chemistry second. Any recommendations for a low stress one? Loved the idea of the History of US book series, but my girl isn’t much of a reader so don’t know how much she would get out of it.

US History is hard to do in a year, nevermind a semester. Even college classes don’t try to fit it all in one semester! 

Does she need a full credit to graduate? 

If she has special interests (fashion?!) maybe you could do an elective related to American history? My Dd did a history of wedding dresses in the 20th Century for a badge in her scouting organization. Very fun! 

Or maybe she could knock out Government/civics or Econ? Both easily done in one semester.

Edited by ScoutTN

5 hours ago, ScoutTN said:

US History is hard to do in a year, nevermind a semester. Even college classes don’t try to fit it all in one semester! 

Does she need a full credit to graduate? 

If she has special interests (fashion?!) maybe you could do an elective related to American history? My Dd did a history of wedding dresses in the 20th Century for a badge in her scouting organization. Very fun! 

Or maybe she could knock out Government/civics or Econ? Both easily done in one semester.

Yes she does need the full US History credit to graduate. The public school she’s coming from does block scheduling, so each full year course takes only a semester. They do 4 at a time so have 8 total by the end of the school year. Transitioning to full year courses seems like it will end up being overwhelming with all of them at once? Admittedly I am no expert on this though.

She’s already had Gov/Econ. So the special interest American history would be for an elective and not to fulfill the social studies requirement right? 

• Like 1

Would she be interested in any of the Great Courses, do you think? My kids liked the ones we used when we had a subscription some years ago, though we never tried any of the chemistry or US History ones.

https://www.thegreatcourses.com/ You can buy the videos, or many public libraries have them, too.

The subscription service seems to have changed names to Wondrium--I don't know why, but here is the Great Courses page: https://www.wondrium.com/format/classic-great-courses?CFM=mega_menu

Hope that might help! Good luck with your new adventure!

• Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 2:44 PM, daijobu said:

I agree with a high school plan focused on preparation for a career.  I would add this to your student's curriculum:

Designing Your Life  (Summary:  informational interviews are so very important!)

So Good They Can't Ignore You  (Summary:  Excellence trumps passion)

I'm not familiar with the fashion industry but I have a vague sense that it's a competitive field?  She'll want to be well prepared to compete.  (I had recommended these books in another thread so they were top of my mind.)  

Add to that "What color is your parachute"

• Like 1