Menu

Suggest sewing pattern brands

silver

One of my kids has expressed interest in learning to sew her own clothes. I made clothes for my kids when they were toddlers/preschoolers, so I can help her if we get some good patterns.

I remember not being happy with many of the "big 3" sewing patterns because they had ridiculous amount of ease, which made the result very boxy and ill-fitting. I remember Kwik Sew being both good patterns for beginners and good with fit. Unfortunately, it looks like Kwik Sew has gone out of business/been discontinued.

I also liked a lot of the more boutique/etsy seller patterns, but many of my favorites that I can remember only seem to have young children patterns. I need patterns in the girls sizes 8-14 range. 

So, does anyone know a brand of pattern which will come in girls size 8-14, be for woven fabrics, be well suited for a beginner, and fit well? Bonus if I can search by size (in my searches, I've noticed most pattern companies just lump all "kids" stuff together, and I have to click on every individual pattern to see the size range). 

• Like 1

I love Jalie.  All sizes included in each pattern!  Good instructions.  Can buy as paper patterns or as a download.  Everything I’ve made has for as measured, and that includes complicated things like gymnastics leotard .  They do have more patterns for knits than woven.  But their instructions for sewing knits, on a regular machine with regular zigzag and straight stitches are very very good and straightforward and successful 

https://jalie.com/

• Like 2

I used to use this expensive pattern software.   Stitch and Sew (or something like that) from Wild Ginger.   I hadn't spent much for it.   I'd bought an older version for cheap and then was able to buy an upgrade to the latest version for cheap.   It was amazing!   The cool thing is that there seems to be the same thing for free available now.  

https://silverbobbin.com/best-free-pattern-making-software/

I haven't tried the free version.  But with what I had, you entered your measurements, and then chose what you wanted and then printed the pattern.   It wasn't that you chose from existing patterns.   You changed things like ease and collars and sleeve length.    So, you were making your own pattern.   The beautiful thing was that when you were done, the garment fit you precisely.   

One unrelated hint to sew a garment well.   With patterns you generally cut X amount away from the seam and then you sew X amount in from the cut.   What often happens for new sewers is that one piece of fabric ends up a little longer than the other side because it stretched a little in handling.    This is what I do.   

1. Cut the pattern where there is no seam allowance.   Make sure all marks are still on the pattern by drawing them inward as needed.  
  2. Using disappearing ink sewing pen, draw the patterns onto the fabric.  Side benefit is that you can draw everything before cutting anything.  So, you don't accidentally use too much fabric.  Label each piece.  
  3. Cut out each labeled piece but don't cut near the seam.  
  4. Sew a stay stitch all around each and every piece excluding only the hem.  Because the fabric cuts are a decent distance away the fabric won't be stretched.  Clip the seam allowance where there are marks on the seam.  
  5. Then sew as normal, matching up the stay stitches.  This is easy to pin precisely since you can feel the stay stitches.   

Between doing that and using the software I was able to sew my wedding dress that fit precisely and based on an idea from a book cover.  You don't want to do the Stay stitch technique if you will be moving the seams around after you sew.  

• Like 2

Rabbit Trail here = For beginner sewists, you can learn a lot on youtube.

Here's one on resizing a T-shirt (to make it fit more snugly) =

It's 1000% easier to re-size something she finds at Goodwill (or in her closet) = minor alterations.
Especially if she's young.

I love Sewing With Nancy (old PBS show, now on youtube).
It's a lot easier to sew a quilt, or a tote bag, or some other craft item . . . esp. for beginners.

Also, she can probably find sewing classes locally.
It's just hard to start out sewing a dress, for example, and expect it to look great after a few hours of work.

But sewing is really such a wonderful hobby, which saves LOTS of money & (eventually) give her a great sense of accomplishment!

Edited by Beth S
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, bibiche said:

I think Oliver and S has patterns for older children. They are excellent patterns with clear instructions. There’s also a blog with Q&A if one gets stuck.

https://oliverands.com

Thanks! They have some cute stuff that looks simple enough for a beginner.

6 hours ago, wathe said:

I love Jalie.  All sizes included in each pattern!  Good instructions.  Can buy as paper patterns or as a download.  Everything I’ve made has for as measured, and that includes complicated things like gymnastics leotard .  They do have more patterns for knits than woven.  But their instructions for sewing knits, on a regular machine with regular zigzag and straight stitches are very very good and straightforward and successful 

https://jalie.com/

I've made one of their jacket patterns for myself and completely forgot about them when I was searching for this. Thanks for the reminder!

4 hours ago, shawthorne44 said:

I used to use this expensive pattern software.   Stitch and Sew (or something like that) from Wild Ginger.   I hadn't spent much for it.   I'd bought an older version for cheap and then was able to buy an upgrade to the latest version for cheap.   It was amazing!   The cool thing is that there seems to be the same thing for free available now.  

https://silverbobbin.com/best-free-pattern-making-software/

<advice on even seams>

That software sounds amazing, I'll have to check it out. The advice is good, one of my other kids does that when she sews softies. 

2 hours ago, Beth S said:

Rabbit Trail here = For beginner sewists, you can learn a lot on youtube.

Here's one on resizing a T-shirt (to make it fit more snugly) =

It's 1000% easier to re-size something she finds at Goodwill (or in her closet) = minor alterations.
Especially if she's young.

<snip>

She actually did a refashion recently, and that's what got her interested in doing more!

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, silver said:

One of my kids has expressed interest in learning to sew her own clothes. I made clothes for my kids when they were toddlers/preschoolers, so I can help her if we get some good patterns.

I remember not being happy with many of the "big 3" sewing patterns because they had ridiculous amount of ease, which made the result very boxy and ill-fitting. I remember Kwik Sew being both good patterns for beginners and good with fit. Unfortunately, it looks like Kwik Sew has gone out of business/been discontinued.

I also liked a lot of the more boutique/etsy seller patterns, but many of my favorites that I can remember only seem to have young children patterns. I need patterns in the girls sizes 8-14 range. 

So, does anyone know a brand of pattern which will come in girls size 8-14, be for woven fabrics, be well suited for a beginner, and fit well? Bonus if I can search by size (in my searches, I've noticed most pattern companies just lump all "kids" stuff together, and I have to click on every individual pattern to see the size range). 

What about starting with YouTube videos that show you how to make patterns from clothes that already fit you well??

• Like 1

I also like Jalie, although I think some of their armscyes are sort of weird and their crotches absolutely do not fit me. Having said that, I'm sitting here wearing a pair of Jalie capris (because I know how to draw a new crotch curve). And how can you argue with so many sizes per pattern? Really, though, I think their strength is in their stretchy stuff like leotards, swimsuits, hoodies, tshirts -- their patterns for wovens aren't nearly as good.

Ottobre patterns are a lot of fun in that size range. Lots of fun details, a little more fashion forward. I remember getting issues of Ottobre and years later starting to see a particular style become popular in the midwest. Even skimpier directions than Jalie, though. 

I've noticed Style Arc is starting to offer kids patterns.  I haven't paid much attention to them because I don't have anyone in that size range. But Style Arc tends to fit me better and have better drafting than Jalie. Again, skimpy directions.

• Like 1

Kwik sew patterns were my favorite when I sewed for my kids! Sad day when they were bought out by Mc Calls.

however, that forced me to look elsewhere.

I personally like Love Notions patterns. Their Facebook support is fantastic. They have many patterns for the sizes Yiu are looking for,  but only a few wovens.

I used many Peek  a Boo patterns for my grandkids, but mostly knit patterns. She has some very cute sweatshirt patterns.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, macmacmoo said:

https://violettefieldthreads.com/ has a separate tween section

This one is new to me, thanks for sharing!

17 hours ago, GailV said:

Really, though, I think [Jalie's] strength is in their stretchy stuff like leotards, swimsuits, hoodies, tshirts -- their patterns for wovens aren't nearly as good.

Ottobre patterns are a lot of fun in that size range. Lots of fun details, a little more fashion forward. I remember getting issues of Ottobre and years later starting to see a particular style become popular in the midwest. Even skimpier directions than Jalie, though. 

I've noticed Style Arc is starting to offer kids patterns.  I haven't paid much attention to them because I don't have anyone in that size range. But Style Arc tends to fit me better and have better drafting than Jalie. Again, skimpy directions.

I think she could manage some of the firmer stretch material, such as what's needed for the Jalie Eleonore jean pattern. I have some old Ottobres that I pulled out for her to look through, although they're about as old as she is, so she might not find them fashionable enough! 😂

I'll take a look at Style Arc. I'm experienced enough, even if it's been a while, that I can probably help fill in the gaps in the instructions.

16 hours ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I have found simplicity patterns very easy to use for beginners. They have great illustrations and instructions

I am now almost in the experianced catogory and still don't like burda patterns 

I've never tried Burda, so that's good to know!

16 hours ago, KatieInMN said:

I personally like Love Notions patterns. Their Facebook support is fantastic. They have many patterns for the sizes Yiu are looking for,  but only a few wovens.

I used many Peek  a Boo patterns for my grandkids, but mostly knit patterns. She has some very cute sweatshirt patterns.

Thanks for the reccomendations!

• Like 1