Menu

Well-trained bodies - August

Laura Corin

Did a shorter yoga today--will see if I can supplement that with a walk later. Though I keep saying that and it doesn't happen! I am keeping up with PT exercises though--even got a 5 lb and a 10 lb kettlebell to do some of the exercises I do with the PT.

Yesterday youngest and I were couch potatoes watching season 3 of Never Have I Ever on Netflix. Checked my BP after and it was 113/72! This morning 118/80. I'm starting to think there's something to the stress theory. I would think the monitor was faulty if it hadn't given me several readings in the 140's and 130's over 80 or 90 the same day it was high at the doctor's office. So moving forward I will continue to monitor, continue with DASH diet and increased fruits/veggies, continue to make sure exercise happens 7 days/wk, but the big learning is I've got to manage stress. It helps relieve guilt over dd moving out; though the transition has its challenges, this move will be the best for all of us. Dd is at least as happy there as here and she gets more care and attention with more caregivers around so it's good for her. And I have much less stress when someone else is caring for her--that's good for me. As school starts up, I will look to ways to keep stress lower--maybe walks, evening yoga, restricting how much of each day I spend on school, and having a nice end of day routine.

• Like 5

Missed posting yesterday.

Friday did not end strong, in terms of exercise. I went out to hear one of my bonus young adults perform and ended up going out with a friend afterward. By the time I made it home, it was after 10:00 and I was utterly exhausted from the noise levels at the two venues and the (pleasant, but a lot for this introvert) socializing. Even though it meant missing my step goal for the first time in over a month, I had no energy to do anything more than put on pajamas and plunk myself on the couch in front of the TV.

Yesterday was better. I did the usual walk in the morning, then went to yoga class at the lake.

The photo below was taken from the boardwalk after class.

Back home, I spent most of the rest of the day working on a project in the house (painting the countertops in the primary bath) . . . which, of course, prompted me to then think about adding a backsplash . . . which led to me hopping in the car and running around to home improvement stores looking for the peel and stick "tiles" I wanted . . . which led to me getting distracted and running late to meet a friend to attend a reading at the Kerouak house. ("If You Give a Mom a Home Improvement Project . . .") I made it in time for the actual reading, fortunately, and all of the project work and the running around shopping meant that by the time I got home from the reading, I had fewer than 1,000 steps left to meet my goal. The dog went with me for a couple of loops around the block to clock the remaining steps.

In theory, I should be doing a 6k+ walk this weekend, to stay on my training schedule for the first 10k, but I was anxious to get back to the house and get the first coat of sealer on the countertops. I knocked off at 4.5k. If time, weather and energy permit, I may try to do a longer walk after it cools down this evening. Otherwise, I'll have to bump it to next weekend. 

Summer Splash Challenge: 574.9 of 600K
Walking Streak: 104 days

IMG_20220813_100349781_HDR.jpg

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5

Amazing landscape @Jenny in Florida.

Edinburgh was good. Not only two concerts  but a surprisingly decisive department store visit - we bought four garden chairs, a small garden table a lampshade and a light fitment.  The latter is for our sitting room, which currently has a a fancy chandelier that is very different from our taste.

10,000 steps in the city. I'll go for my usual late-evening walk too.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I understand the frustration of not getting much done and then feeling like the weekend was wasted somehow. I wanted to get done one or 2 curtain panels this weekend but haven’t done any. It’s a chore. I have to iron all the fabric, cut the fabric for both front and back of panel… 

I got a lot done on an art project for dd’s room. The pic is in another thread of mine. 

Last night after dd was asleep I did 30 min on the bike then showered and went to bed. We had church early this morning so I never got around to my HIIT. 

I think I’ll workout tonight after the kids go back to their dad’s. 

lol about staying up watching a murder show. Eek 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Edinburgh was good. Not only two concerts  but a surprisingly decisive department store visit - we bought four garden chairs, a small garden table a lampshade and a light fitment.  The latter is for our sitting room, which currently has a a fancy chandelier that is very different from our taste.

I LOVE that kind of shopping language! 😅 I can agonize about furniture for ages before deciding to buy. Glad you found something you like and got to enjoy 2 concerts1

• Like 2

@Jenny in Florida Love the trees in Florida. The hanging bits are so cool!!

I took this photo of a wasp's nest hanging from a tree over the river while kayaking yesterday. I floated in, took a quick photo and booted it out of there - no close up. 😉 Didn't see any wasps at all. I saw 17 turtles, though.  😊

Tennis this morning was really fun, and I could hit the ball well again. My confidence has been restored! I cycled to the big river and waded in the water this afternoon. My knee started getting slightly painful at about the 45 minute mark. 

20220813_135050.jpg

• Like 5

Sunday used to be a complete rest day--trying to change that. Did a 30 min walk with the dog. We have two neighborhood loops that we do--this one pretty much goes around the perimeter plus just a little extra to hit the 30 min mark. We also have a shorter loop that is almost exactly 1 mile which we'll do if I'm just trying to add a little on to other exercise during the day. Also did my PT exercises and 4:00 BP check was 115/82.

• Like 4

I've been off for several days due to vacation, but I have definitely been working hard on exercise. 

Thursday we drove out, but then went for a mile walk along the lakeshore Thursday night. I think I get bonus points for walking in deep, shifty sand. Walking along the ocean, the sand is hard packed by the shoreline. That is not the case along Lake Michigan, and every step requires the foot to dig in and fight through the slipping sand to the next step.

Friday we played at the beach a while, then after lunch the family played disc golf. I cannot throw a frisbee as it's way, way too hard on my fragile wrists and elbows, but I walked the course with them for a couple hours. There was quite a bit of up and down over hilly terrain, so it was a decent walk.

Saturday we went canoeing, and I was overjoyed that I could participate. Some of you may remember I have been dealing with the impact on my shoulder and elbow since a fall last October. The shoulder has been fine for a little while, but my elbow is still problematic (though there have been improvements). I wrapped my elbow to restrict the range of motion and was able to canoe the whole three hours. Since I lift weights and work out each week, I was strong for the task with the bracing wrap. 

Sunday--Today was the toughest by far, though I did not expect it to be so. I thought the canoeing would be hardest, but today's hike was not only up and down, but the path was almost entirely sand, even in the foresty bits because the terrain is dune. We hiked two hours, and I was exhausted and drenched in sweat long before the end. I chose to separate from the group for the last loop because my left side was throbbing. (This is usually because of disc problems I have in my spine.)

• Like 6

On 8/13/2022 at 10:31 AM, Ali in OR said:

Did a shorter yoga today--will see if I can supplement that with a walk later. Though I keep saying that and it doesn't happen! I am keeping up with PT exercises though--even got a 5 lb and a 10 lb kettlebell to do some of the exercises I do with the PT.

Yesterday youngest and I were couch potatoes watching season 3 of Never Have I Ever on Netflix. Checked my BP after and it was 113/72! This morning 118/80. I'm starting to think there's something to the stress theory. I would think the monitor was faulty if it hadn't given me several readings in the 140's and 130's over 80 or 90 the same day it was high at the doctor's office. So moving forward I will continue to monitor, continue with DASH diet and increased fruits/veggies, continue to make sure exercise happens 7 days/wk, but the big learning is I've got to manage stress. It helps relieve guilt over dd moving out; though the transition has its challenges, this move will be the best for all of us. Dd is at least as happy there as here and she gets more care and attention with more caregivers around so it's good for her. And I have much less stress when someone else is caring for her--that's good for me. As school starts up, I will look to ways to keep stress lower--maybe walks, evening yoga, restricting how much of each day I spend on school, and having a nice end of day routine.

Yes, that is good news that it is stress. I'm glad that gives you some relief from guilt. Seems like her moving out is best for everyone but that doesn't make it easy.

20 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I love that too. It made me smile. I'm so very, very indecisive with shopping of any sort I have a hard time finding what I like. I've finally learned if I actually like something I should buy it as it is so rare. A lot of the Scottish locals talked badly about Edinburgh to us but our short stop there I thought it was lovely.

18 hours ago, wintermom said:

@Jenny in Florida Love the trees in Florida. The hanging bits are so cool!!

I took this photo of a wasp's nest hanging from a tree over the river while kayaking yesterday. I floated in, took a quick photo and booted it out of there - no close up. 😉 Didn't see any wasps at all. I saw 17 turtles, though.  😊

Tennis this morning was really fun, and I could hit the ball well again. My confidence has been restored! I cycled to the big river and waded in the water this afternoon. My knee started getting slightly painful at about the 45 minute mark. 

20220813_135050.jpg

Um.... that looks like a hornet's nest. WAY way worse than wasps. 

I love the lily pads, those are much nicer 🙂

You mentioned overthinking things-- I've noticed that there is a fine balance for me not overthinking and also not rushing.

6 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I've been off for several days due to vacation, but I have definitely been working hard on exercise. 

Thursday we drove out, but then went for a mile walk along the lakeshore Thursday night. I think I get bonus points for walking in deep, shifty sand. Walking along the ocean, the sand is hard packed by the shoreline. That is not the case along Lake Michigan, and every step requires the foot to dig in and fight through the slipping sand to the next step.

Friday we played at the beach a while, then after lunch the family played disc golf. I cannot throw a frisbee as it's way, way too hard on my fragile wrists and elbows, but I walked the course with them for a couple hours. There was quite a bit of up and down over hilly terrain, so it was a decent walk.

Saturday we went canoeing, and I was overjoyed that I could participate. Some of you may remember I have been dealing with the impact on my shoulder and elbow since a fall last October. The shoulder has been fine for a little while, but my elbow is still problematic (though there have been improvements). I wrapped my elbow to restrict the range of motion and was able to canoe the whole three hours. Since I lift weights and work out each week, I was strong for the task with the bracing wrap. 

Sunday--Today was the toughest by far, though I did not expect it to be so. I thought the canoeing would be hardest, but today's hike was not only up and down, but the path was almost entirely sand, even in the foresty bits because the terrain is dune. We hiked two hours, and I was exhausted and drenched in sweat long before the end. I chose to separate from the group for the last loop because my left side was throbbing. (This is usually because of disc problems I have in my spine.)

Sounds like a lovely vaca.  When do you come home? Some terrains are a lot harder walking on than others. Usually it goes that I think it won't be so bad but after doing it I'm worn out. 

11 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I did a little test. I wore my pedometer on my shoe for a 30 min bike ride on the stationary bike. It says I did 3,127 steps. Definitely less than the Google guess results lol But I do tend to try to bike a little longer than 30 min. 

I think I’ll do my last HIIT tonight from disc 1. 

I admire you and all your crafty projects, that is not my forte. Good job on the exercise.

21 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Missed posting yesterday.

Friday did not end strong, in terms of exercise. I went out to hear one of my bonus young adults perform and ended up going out with a friend afterward. By the time I made it home, it was after 10:00 and I was utterly exhausted from the noise levels at the two venues and the (pleasant, but a lot for this introvert) socializing. Even though it meant missing my step goal for the first time in over a month, I had no energy to do anything more than put on pajamas and plunk myself on the couch in front of the TV.

Yesterday was better. I did the usual walk in the morning, then went to yoga class at the lake.

The photo below was taken from the boardwalk after class.

Back home, I spent most of the rest of the day working on a project in the house (painting the countertops in the primary bath) . . . which, of course, prompted me to then think about adding a backsplash . . . which led to me hopping in the car and running around to home improvement stores looking for the peel and stick "tiles" I wanted . . . which led to me getting distracted and running late to meet a friend to attend a reading at the Kerouak house. ("If You Give a Mom a Home Improvement Project . . .") I made it in time for the actual reading, fortunately, and all of the project work and the running around shopping meant that by the time I got home from the reading, I had fewer than 1,000 steps left to meet my goal. The dog went with me for a couple of loops around the block to clock the remaining steps.

In theory, I should be doing a 6k+ walk this weekend, to stay on my training schedule for the first 10k, but I was anxious to get back to the house and get the first coat of sealer on the countertops. I knocked off at 4.5k. If time, weather and energy permit, I may try to do a longer walk after it cools down this evening. Otherwise, I'll have to bump it to next weekend. 

Summer Splash Challenge: 574.9 of 600K
Walking Streak: 104 days

I'm glad to hear the yoga class happened this week. I understand about being worn out from being out. It is so draining. You are getting all kinds of projects done. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think I last posted Friday morning.

I took the girls to the pool but they had friends with them. I ended up just sitting under the awning and reading a book. It's been entirely too long since I've done that. So, activity wasn't great Friday (just my am strength training) but reading is good too.

This weekend has been working outside. It cooled a bit (high of 85 (29c) Sat and 90ish(32c) Sun). Which is still quite warm when working but not so hot I'm going to die weather. So we didn't have to take off in the afternoon for the heat. We made great progress.  My brother and dad are coming back over this week and we're hoping they can help us finish prepping the trusses for the roof. (Dh had planned for us to do all that but after getting the trusses up there I think he realized he is not as comfortable as he thought crawling around on the roof)

In between helping dh (some parts I can't really help with) and this morning (worked outside from 6am-7) I got a good amount of yard work done. Mostly clean up on the work site. I'm planning on mowing this afternoon.

Official exercise today: full body strength

I have 3 workouts left to finish my latest Caroline Girvan series. It is only a 6 week series but I think I've been on it 8 or so. Between recovering from vaca, being stupid busy, and building the shop I've not got in as much 'official' exercise as usual. One more week and everyone is back and school and things "should" slow down. Here's hoping.

ETA: I forgot to say I played some sand volleyball yesterday- we had a bday party to go to and we played a few games. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

I finished up the countertop painting yesterday afternoon. It's kind of an ideal project for me, because it makes a big impact and doesn't require me to bend or twist a lot or rely on muscles or joints that cause me a lot of trouble. (I did notice by the end of the day yesterday that my right and and write were sore from using the paint brush, but it was pretty minor.) Not sure if it was working on the project, but I ended last night really wiped. I did finish the day's steps via an evening walk with the dog, but that 6k training walk did not happen.

Got a little bit of a late start this morning, but walked the usual 4k and then did strength and stretching. 

Summer Splash Challenge: 582.0 of 600K 
Walking Streak: 105 days

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Um.... that looks like a hornet's nest. WAY way worse than wasps. 

I love the lily pads, those are much nicer 🙂

You mentioned overthinking things-- I've noticed that there is a fine balance for me not overthinking and also not rushing.

Our wasps are yellow and black and this is the nest they build. Maybe the terms are interchangeable in some places? My dad used to call them yellow jackets.

image.jpeg.fda6b188060f436ab40720798d2438a1.jpeg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Our wasps are yellow and black and this is the nest they build. Maybe the terms are interchangeable in some places? My dad used to call them yellow jackets.

image.jpeg.fda6b188060f436ab40720798d2438a1.jpeg

This is an interesting rabbit trail to distract me. Hornets are a type of wasp.So, technically yes a wasp. New to me! We have red wasps here so easy to distinguish with the yellow jackets (another type of wasp- smaller than red wasps we have). Hornets are a different beast, they are huge. The nest you showed looked like a hornet's nest to me but I'm not an insect expert. We just killed a hornet yesterday while we are working. They are super scary. None of them are fun to be stung by but hornets are so much bigger.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Soror said:

This is an interesting rabbit trail to distract me. Hornets are a type of wasp.So, technically yes a wasp. New to me! We have red wasps here so easy to distinguish with the yellow jackets (another type of wasp- smaller than red wasps we have). Hornets are a different beast, they are huge. The nest you showed looked like a hornet's nest to me but I'm not an insect expert. We just killed a hornet yesterday while we are working. They are super scary. None of them are fun to be stung by but hornets are so much bigger.

I'm definitely not an insect expert, either. 😊  I do believe I can recognize a bee from a wasp, but I don't know if I could tell the difference between a wasp, yellow jacket or hornet. I just know to be careful around them all. 

• Like 3

We have yellow jackets around here. The nests we typically find are small, like an inch or two or even less. They are a nuisance if you're trying to eat outside (they love soda cans and meat), but they aren't a huge worry. If we see the nests on the eaves of the house we just hose them off or knock them down with a broom while they're still small.

30 min on treadmill this morning. BP still ok. I have two more weeks before teaching obligations begin, so I'm going to tackle the summer project list that I seem to only have done half of. For the next few days I'm going to work on cleaning carpets. Cleaning windows will have to wait for a cloudy day (supposedly less streaking? Plus our 90° temps this week are just too hot!).

• Like 5

Heck I'm more confused than ever. If they are yellow and black I call them a yellow jacket. I tend to say wasp to refer to the more brownish ones. But now I can't remember what color the one that stung me a few weeks ago was. I just remember the librarian referring to them as wasps. And then there were wasps in front of my former home and the nest I think looked more like a piece of cardboard with grooves in it. Or maybe that's just what they look like in the beginning?? 

Last night I wussed out and didn't do the HIIT. I was like well if I do the 15 min HIIT I actually should include a warm up and cool down... and then shower... and well I just don't know if I want to do all that right now. 

This morning I did a warm up, a short Get Fit with Rick video, then a 15 min HIIT followed by a cool down. I generally dislike warm ups and cool downs. You know how some events end with fireworks? I'm just there for the fireworks. I don't care about all the other "boring" stuff haha and then the cool down is like a long conversation in the parking lot. Oh my gosh let's just go. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm definitely not an insect expert, either. 😊  I do believe I can recognize a bee from a wasp, but I don't know if I could tell the difference between a wasp, yellow jacket or hornet. I just know to be careful around them all. 

2 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We have yellow jackets around here. The nests we typically find are small, like an inch or two or even less. They are a nuisance if you're trying to eat outside (they love soda cans and meat), but they aren't a huge worry. If we see the nests on the eaves of the house we just hose them off or knock them down with a broom while they're still small.

30 min on treadmill this morning. BP still ok. I have two more weeks before teaching obligations begin, so I'm going to tackle the summer project list that I seem to only have done half of. For the next few days I'm going to work on cleaning carpets. Cleaning windows will have to wait for a cloudy day (supposedly less streaking? Plus our 90° temps this week are just too hot!).

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Heck I'm more confused than ever. If they are yellow and black I call them a yellow jacket. I tend to say wasp to refer to the more brownish ones. But now I can't remember what color the one that stung me a few weeks ago was. I just remember the librarian referring to them as wasps. And then there were wasps in front of my former home and the nest I think looked more like a piece of cardboard with grooves in it. Or maybe that's just what they look like in the beginning?? . 

3 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

In the UK the yellow and black ones are called wasps, or jaspers in some dialects. They are a bit bigger than honey bees  I think I've seen hornets in France - scary things.

We had bees for awhile and dh is deathly afraid of flying stinging things so that is how I've got some familiarity with it. If you can tell bees and wasps apart you are doing better than many. Since we had honey bees for awhile I've been surprised how many times I've seen wasps labeled as bees or bumblebees marked as honey bees.  The wasps, yellow jackets, and hornets are usually pretty easy to distinguish by size and as I said the wasps here are often red wasps. Yellow jackets and hornets are so vastly different in size you'd not mistake them for each other! The wasp nests we see around here are like you mentioned @heartlikealionkind of look like cardboard, they are usually under eaves and such. Yellow jackets often build in the ground. And then there are the dirt/mud daubers that look similar to what we call wasps but are not aggressive. It is super duper common to find wasp nests. I don't like them but they don't scare me so much (now dh freaks out we always have a large supply of wasp/hornet killer spray!). The hornets nests do terrify me. I steer very clear.  Since the yellow jackets tend to nest in the ground we tend to find them while doing yard work (that's not fun). We go back and destroy them at night when we do find them.

Bald-faced hornet nest and paper wasp nest

Figure 6
Bald-faced hornet nest (left) and paper wasp nest (right).

• Like 3

I played doubles tennis for 2 hrs after work. It was fun and the ladies were all really nice. I wasn't playing amazing, but did ok. It was the 5th day in a row for tennis, and my body is feeling pretty tired. I've also been adding on walking, paddling and/or cycling most days. Tomorrow will be a rest day from tennis, but if the weather is nice I'll try to get in a kayak after work. 

My diet re-boot is working very well. I'm limiting my sugary drinks to the weekend and I'm adding in more fruit and veggies. I'd gotten into a lazy rut. 

• Like 6

Trying to decide what to do today. Hiit or Yoga. I planned to exercise Mon/Wed/Fri this week but I'm feeling iffy on my schedule with the forecast. (We have a long day of outside work some day this week but not 100% certain when will get it in). 

Did some push mowing last night. Wanted to do more yard work but ran out of daylight. Dd2 took forever with her school (we finished after 5) so I didn't get started until later.

Sigh.

@wintermom I'm trying to do similarly. It is going okish. I prepped lunch last week but haven't yet this week (makes it so much easier to make good choices when I have something ready to go). I'm not getting in the amount of veggies I want. I eat fruit most mornings with my breakfast so that is taken care of. 

• Like 5

Well, for the second time in less than a week, I did not make my step goal for yesterday. After work, I headed back into the bathroom to put up the peel and stick backsplash, which took longer and required more energy than I anticipated. By the time I finished, it was 9:30, and I was tired and sore (and was dealing with an emotional hit) and really just wanted to sit in my pajamas and watch TV. Then I realized that I had nearly 7,000 steps to go to reach the daily goal and lost any sense of momentum I might have been able to muster. I coaxed the dog out for a short walk (about 2k) and then called it quits for the day.

Started okay this morning, with the usual 4k walk and a 20-minute upper body video. All of my muscles are achy and tired, though, so even sticking mostly with the 3-pound weights, I had to drop them in a couple of places.

Full-hour yoga class tonight. (The Saturday morning classes at the lake are 30 minutes, but have the bonus of requiring a 2k round trip walk from the parking lot to the class site.) In theory, I will do some more walking, too, at some point before bedtime.

Summer Splash Challenge: 587.4 of 600K 
Walking Streak: 106 days

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, Soror said:

Trying to decide what to do today. Hiit or Yoga. I planned to exercise Mon/Wed/Fri this week but I'm feeling iffy on my schedule with the forecast. (We have a long day of outside work some day this week but not 100% certain when will get it in). 

Did some push mowing last night. Wanted to do more yard work but ran out of daylight. Dd2 took forever with her school (we finished after 5) so I didn't get started until later.

Sigh.

@wintermom I'm trying to do similarly. It is going okish. I prepped lunch last week but haven't yet this week (makes it so much easier to make good choices when I have something ready to go). I'm not getting in the amount of veggies I want. I eat fruit most mornings with my breakfast so that is taken care of. 

Re: diet re-boot, for me, when the stress of my dad passing away and mom's broken hip hit me, I just had no energy or care about food. And my sugar drinks are hard cider with alcohol. The alcohol helped me drift off into sleep or just mute my thoughts. Happily, 6 month later, I can give up this drink crutch without difficulty, and channel my mental energy into caring about my food intake. Even with healthy food choices at hand, I didn't want them. I wanted the salty snacks more. After years of being so careful with food, drink and exercise, I just had no energy to care about food and drink. Luckily, my allergies kept me away from eating too much garbage. 😉 

The stress you and your family have been going through is emense. It's understandable that something takes a back burner for a while when you are in the midst of the stress. Big hugs to you. Don't be too hard on yourself. Some gentleness and patience with one's self is ok. You'll get through this. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

11 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Re: diet re-boot, for me, when the stress of my dad passing away and mom's broken hip hit me, I just had no energy or care about food. And my sugar drinks are hard cider with alcohol. The alcohol helped me drift off into sleep or just mute my thoughts. Happily, 6 month later, I can give up this drink crutch without difficulty, and channel my mental energy into caring about my food intake. Even with healthy food choices at hand, I didn't want them. I wanted the salty snacks more. After years of being so careful with food, drink and exercise, I just had no energy to care about food and drink. Luckily, my allergies kept me away from eating too much garbage. 😉 

The stress you and your family have been going through is emense. It's understandable that something takes a back burner for a while when you are in the midst of the stress. Big hugs to you. Don't be too hard on yourself. Some gentleness and patience with one's self is ok. You'll get through this. 🙂

@wintermom and @Soror I'm sorry that things have been so tough, but I'm glad that you may be starting to emerge just a little.

I've eaten morethan normal in the past month - a perfect demonstration of the hormonal and emotional effects of restricted sleep.  I'm trying not to be too hard on myself - I'll get my eating focus back soon, I hope.

Today - I did 20 minutes of rowing at lunchtime - pushing the pace just a little.  I'll do the late-night three-mile walk as usual.

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm so glad to hear you are doing better. You had so much in a short time.

Stress makes it harder and just the lack of time.  I feel like I will get back in the groove and it should be easy to stay in it but then some new bad thing happens and it is harder than I expect. Right now I got some other family issue that is stressing me in addition to waiting for this stupid mammogram follow-up, both came up Fri night so I'm fighting the urge to eat junk.

I try to muster all the gentleness and patience I can but sometimes they are already spent. I try to set little goals and focus on a few things rather than all the things. I'm not binging on chocolate, so that is a win 🙂

• Like 6

I'm finally checking back in- ready to get on track!  Oldest is back to college and hopefully our life can get back on a routine.  I had hoped to walk a bit this morning,  but it was raining.  Planning to take 2 walks today- one as soon as school is done and one after dinner. 

I taught at co-op yesterday and got in 6K steps while there- I was in sandals on concrete,  so my feet were sore.  I finished my steps after dinner.  

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It sounds like a lot of us are having a hard time focusing on our health goals bc of life things.  We should all ease up on ourselves and appreciate the time we are spending doing things with family- myself included.  Maybe its the end of summer- I'm ready for a bit cooler weather (as in not in the 90s everyday).  

• Like 6

My schedule got sorted for the week.

I did my HIIT yesterday but otherwise was low energy. After 3 days of getting up with the sun to work and then working until bed I was spent. It was rainy anyway so it was a good day to take it easy. (still have all the mom stuff to do though)

Today: 20 minutes easy stretching/yoga

Had my biometric this am and had to be out of the house by 6:45 and have another 2 trips to make.

I hope to get some yard work done if it dries enough and I have the time.

• Like 5

Yesterday I anticipated delivering magazines for work but the delivery didn’t show up. I thought that would help my steps. I stayed at the office and did work from there. I packed a granola bar but was too hungry so later grabbed fast food. I should have put some in the break room fridge but wasn’t thinking (thought I have to eat it all or it goes to waste). That was like a 900 calorie meal. 

I went to the bowling league meeting last night. I was delighted to hear that subs don’t pay the nights they play. I just need to pay this one time fee. The league starts next week and there are around 10 teams. I am on call for all. 

I’m not sure when I can practice… website says they aren’t open til evening. First time you play they average your 3 games to set your average. I’d like to practice a little before then. I have to deliver magazines today to schools (possibly, depending on when magazines arrive) in that city but the bowling alley isn’t open during school hours. Ugh. Maybe I can just work at the office again then drive to bowling alley from there. 

Last night it was eating me up that I had that huge meal and didn’t even get good steps. I was exhausted, it was late, but I hopped on my exercise bike for 30 min. Better than nothing. 

• Like 6

Yoga class last night, then a good 4k+ walk with the dog to finish off my steps.

I woke up an hour before my alarm this morning, propped myself up to try and align my back while I dozed . . . and then slept through my alarm entirely. I woke up about 45 minutes after my scheduled time and so had to trim a little of everything to get to my desk more or less on time. I still walked almost the usual 4k and then did some strength and stretching. 

I really hate finishing up work and whatever chores or activities I have planned for the evening and then realizing I still need 7,000-8,000 steps to meet my goal. So I need to work on a routine to break up that chunk a bit.

Summer Splash Challenge: 595.5 of 600K 
Walking Streak: 107 days

• Like 6

There’s some issue with the delivery at work so I don’t know if I’ll be leaving the house today. But I did talk to one of the people in charge of the league and she said once they know me at the bowling alley I should get discounted games (I told her I want to practice). Apparently league members get 3 games for $5 (and shoes)! I hope I can still get that as a sub. Next time I go in if the right person is working I should be able to pay my fee and get a card to carry. I didn’t buy it last night because my check book was in the car and I had to get going to catch my Walmart pick up order plus they said no rush to pay yet. 

• Like 5

30 min outdoor dog walk this morning. Saw a beautiful sunrise but also a little sad that sunrise is obviously getting later. Dh and youngest are visiting his parents in Orlando (I'm home since oldest is still getting settled in foster care). Anyway, I'm living the life of @Jenny in Florida by not cooking any meals through Saturday. And taking extra walks with the dog.

• Like 6

@Soror what's 'biometric'?

I'm having a good,  active day. I  did pj sun salutations first thing,  ran errands briskly on foot at lunchtime, practised yoga on the lawn after work and will take a late-night walk.

On Thursday night I move up to a 6 1/2 hour sleep window, and I'll start to reduce my night walks.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 6

Today was crazy. I was on my way to pick up magazines but got a phone call that ds had a freak accident at school and was heading to the hospital. I don’t normally invite myself to do anything when Xh has the kids but he said I could meet them there and I decided to do that. 

Dd wasn’t allowed to go back in the room and we kept bouncing between a waiting room and the car/outdoors. We were told we couldn’t stay in that particular waiting area because it was reserved for families of people in surgery. It was so dumb I got kicked out lol like I should have lied and said he was having surgery? Ds got stitches and a CT scan after tripping on a rug by a door at school and landing smack into a nearby pole. He broke his glasses, gashed top of eyebrow area, fell down and skinned his elbow and passed out about 10 seconds. CT scan was normal. Stitches will be removed in 5-6 days. 

The ER waiting room had someone contagious with RSV and the triage nurse told me about several recent Covid cases and urged me to sit in the car. My car a/c wasn’t working right and I was wasting gas. Long story short we were told we could sit on this one bench between the waiting rooms 🙄😂 I paced back and forth for steps hoping I wouldn’t get scolded for going past my approved area lol 

Kids went home with dad. 

Picked up magazines after hours to put in car. Then went to bowling alley to practice. Got my discount. Bowled 3 games. First 2 pretty rusty. Third game 174. Whoo. 

Step count was over 11k today. Have guy installing cabinet doors at 7:30 am ugh. Gonna sleep now. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Today was crazy. I was on my way to pick up magazines but got a phone call that ds had a freak accident at school and was heading to the hospital. I don’t normally invite myself to do anything when Xh has the kids but he said I could meet them there and I decided to do that. 

Dd wasn’t allowed to go back in the room and we kept bouncing between a waiting room and the car/outdoors. We were told we couldn’t stay in that particular waiting area because it was reserved for families of people in surgery. It was so dumb I got kicked out lol like I should have lied and said he was having surgery? Ds got stitches and a CT scan after tripping on a rug by a door at school and landing smack into a nearby pole. He broke his glasses, gashed top of eyebrow area, fell down and skinned his elbow and passed out about 10 seconds. CT scan was normal. Stitches will be removed in 5-6 days. 

The ER waiting room had someone contagious with RSV and the triage nurse told me about several recent Covid cases and urged me to sit in the car. My car a/c wasn’t working right and I was wasting gas. Long story short we were told we could sit on this one bench between the waiting rooms 🙄😂 I paced back and forth for steps hoping I wouldn’t get scolded for going past my approved area lol 

Kids went home with dad. 

Picked up magazines after hours to put in car. Then went to bowling alley to practice. Got my discount. Bowled 3 games. First 2 pretty rusty. Third game 174. Whoo. 

Step count was over 11k today. Have guy installing cabinet doors at 7:30 am ugh. Gonna sleep now. 

Sorry to hear about your son, but I'm glad all is well. My eldest had a similar accident  - scary at the time.

• Like 3

Despite my intention not to do so, I still reached the evening yesterday with 7,000 steps left to go for the day. This time, I'm blaming it on my daughter, because she called to check in and we ended up staying on the phone with her for almost two hours. I used that time to work on caulking in the bathroom, but that didn't put a dent in my step goal. 

I did coax the dog out for a walk, however, and knocked out the 4.5k. 

I slept badly last night -- including having a couple of very vivid and unpleasant dreams -- and once again ran late getting out of bed. The dog and I walked our usual 4k, which bumped me over the finish line for my seasonal walking challenge, and then I did one of the 20-minute upper body videos. I've been trying to follow those with the step exercises for my knees, but I had to skip today in order to get myself to my desk something like on time. 

More of the usual this evening, except that I plan/hope to scoot out for some errands after work and may be able to clock at least some decent number of steps while I'm out. 

Summer Splash Challenge: 603.7 of 600K 
Walking Streak: 108 days

Screenshot_20220818-081432.png

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Despite my intention not to do so, I still reached the evening yesterday with 7,000 steps left to go for the day. This time, I'm blaming it on my daughter, because she called to check in and we ended up staying on the phone with her for almost two hours. I used that time to work on caulking in the bathroom, but that didn't put a dent in my step goal. 

I slept badly last night -- including having a couple of very vivid and unpleasant dreams -- and once again ran late getting out of bed. The dog and I walked our usual 4k, which bumped me over the finish line for my seasonal walking challenge, and then I did one of the 20-minute upper body videos. I've been trying to follow those with the step exercises for my knees, but I had to skip today in order to get myself to my desk something like on time. 

More of the usual this evening, except that I plan/hope to scoot out for some errands after work and may be able to clock at least some decent number of steps while I'm out. 

Summer Splash Challenge: 603.7 of 600K 
Walking Streak: 108 days

Screenshot_20220818-081432.png

Well done on completing the challenge! 

I borrowed an e bike from my employer at lunchtime and went for a ride. It was a lot of fun! I'll do a shorter late walk this evening. 

• Like 6

Sorry to hear about your stressful day, @heartlikealion. Hope your son recovers quickly with no concussion issues.

Had a nice 8:00pm bonus walk with the dog on a lovely warm evening last night. Got PT done after that--need to do that earlier in the day really. Started today with a 30 min dog walk. Carpet cleaning is done but I need to move a lot of small furniture items back today. And clean the kitchen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It rained today and the water messed up my pedometer display! I hope it will correct itself. If I tilt it I can now see the figures so maybe it needs to dry out longer and then will work properly? The other day I saw a small blob in the back of the display, so I think it might be prone to display issues. 

I'm a little sore today from bowling. Delivered some of the magazines but not all because I had to rush to get dd from school. The landlords have no intention of painting the cabinets (they put new cabinet doors on today but now the doors are white and the rest is brown wood) but said if I wanted to I could and they would cover the cost of the paint. So that'll be another project for the future. Only a little over 4k steps so far today. Maybe I can get some exercise in later, but I'm exhausted since I had to get up so early and went to bed so late. 

I haven't heard much about ds but he was originally going to come over tonight and then said he wasn't feeling great and wanted to just stay at dad's. Totally fine. I'm glad he took a day off from school to rest. 

• Like 6

Not much yesterday because I helped ds move to university. So weird, as now that we know he is getting married in December, we're on the long march of last things. 

Gyrotonics today. It's always good to be there. One factor I am not sure how to address is how my feet spasm. This is something particular to me, not a gyrotonics thing. My feet tend to be very spasmy with lots of muscle tension. (Just like the rest of me, but my feet and my left shoulder are the worst.) Dh is very kind about massaging many times while we watch a movie or a TV show. Gyrotonics involves lots and lots of pointing and flexing, and after a while I'm just sore. I wonder if I should roll out my feet on an icy water bottle beforehand or something like that.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Hello all just checking in.  Ive been keeping up with lifting and adding in kettlebell, step, running and tabata workouts.   I decided not to renew beach body for I found a lot of great workouts on you tube. Heather Robinson, nourishmovelove   are a couple I have found for variety and new challenges.   

• Like 7

Tennis got rained out yesterday, which was really disapointing as dh and I were going to play mixed doubles with good friends. I didn't do any exercise at all yesterday due to rain and errands.

Today was better weather and I walked to puppy in the off-leash forest, played singles tennis with dh and cycled to and from the tennis courts. 

I slept really well last night. I think the rest from physical activity was helpful for my body. 😉 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, lynn said:

Hello all just checking in.  Ive been keeping up with lifting and adding in kettlebell, step, running and tabata workouts.   I decided not to renew beach body for I found a lot of great workouts on you tube. Heather Robinson, nourishmovelove   are a couple I have found for variety and new challenges.   

Glad to hear from you. There is so much out there on youtube these days. I think it is making a big dent in the pay platforms. Seems you can just about find anything. I didn't care for working out with youtube before but now that I can do it on my tv it's just like watching a video or streaming service.

10 hours ago, wintermom said:

Tennis got rained out yesterday, which was really disapointing as dh and I were going to play mixed doubles with good friends. I didn't do any exercise at all yesterday due to rain and errands.

Today was better weather and I walked to puppy in the off-leash forest, played singles tennis with dh and cycled to and from the tennis courts. 

I slept really well last night. I think the rest from physical activity was helpful for my body. 😉 

Funny how that works. Get in good activity sleep well but too much just amps up the body, it's always a balance.

12 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Not much yesterday because I helped ds move to university. So weird, as now that we know he is getting married in December, we're on the long march of last things. 

Gyrotonics today. It's always good to be there. One factor I am not sure how to address is how my feet spasm. This is something particular to me, not a gyrotonics thing. My feet tend to be very spasmy with lots of muscle tension. (Just like the rest of me, but my feet and my left shoulder are the worst.) Dh is very kind about massaging many times while we watch a movie or a TV show. Gyrotonics involves lots and lots of pointing and flexing, and after a while I'm just sore. I wonder if I should roll out my feet on an icy water bottle beforehand or something like that.

Hmm, I know there are all kinds of little balls and rollers for such things. I have a foam roller and it feels good when I do it but I don't enough. I have to watch certain areas -- I have an old injury on my shoulder and it only makes it feel worse.

18 hours ago, Ali in OR said:Had a nice 8:00pm bonus walk with the dog on a lovely warm evening last night. Got PT done after that--need to do that earlier in the day really. Started today with a 30 min dog walk. Carpet cleaning is done but I need to move a lot of small furniture items back today. And clean the kitchen.

Sounds like you are getting a good amount of activity just with your deep cleaning.

21 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Congrats on finishing your challenge.

On 8/18/2022 at 12:53 AM, heartlikealion said:

I'm glad to hear he is ok. The ER is stressful enough, even more so when it is one of your kids.

On 8/17/2022 at 1:30 PM, Laura Corin said:

@Soror what's 'biometric'?

I'm having a good,  active day. I  did pj sun salutations first thing,  ran errands briskly on foot at lunchtime, practised yoga on the lawn after work and will take a late-night walk.

On Thursday night I move up to a 6 1/2 hour sleep window, and I'll start to reduce my night walks.

It is like a mini-physical we do for health insurance. Used to I'd get $600 in HRA money, now it is only $200. Annoyingly they don't count the much more complete physical I just did in June.

They check cholesterol levels, weight, waist circumference, and blood glucose levels. You get certain points for different things. 

My TC was around the same as usual- 100. Triglycerides less than 45. 

My bp was higher than usual for me 122/72. At my last dr's visit it was 100/70 but the time before int he 120/80. I have had issues in the past with it going up sometimes at the dr. I need to be doing spot checks at home to see is it rising or is that dr's visit nerves. 

My weight is up- 2-3 lbs from where I like it to be and a solid 5 lbs from where it usually is this time of year. July was not a good month! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yesterday was a big work day we have the shop ready for the roof now. We've got the steel ordered and will put it on in 2 weeks, the next time my brother is off. He's helping us do the roof stuff.

Not much activity for me, mostly fetching. It is still rather tiring being outside all day and all the back and forth. We were outside by 5:30 or so with flashlights and finished up a bit after 3. Then I had to go get the kids and ferry people around so I didn't end up with much down time. We were asleep by 9 and woke up at 4:30. Technically enough sleep but I'd like to sleep in a bit more!

Today's exercise:

Full body strength- my final workout for Fuel woot!

Walk at the park-- dd wants to meet a friend so I'll get a walk in.

We've still got lots more we can need to do on the shop so we're going to try and hit it hard and heavy this weekend. Dh starts back to college on Monday so his time will be seriously limited then. 

• Like 5

Yesterday was a rough work day for me; I just could not focus, didn't want to work, was interested only in working on the bathroom project and watching YouTube videos. Unfortunately, there was one big project that absolutely had to be finished before this morning, so once my brain finally kicked into gear in the late afternoon I forced myself to barrel on through until I finished a little after 8:00. By that time, it was too late to go do the errands I had hoped to do and still have time for the (too-long-because-I-didn't-get-enough-steps-in-earlier-in-the-day) walk. 

The dog opted out of walking with me, but I knocked out the rest of my steps with a little over 5k around the neighborhood.

Walked about 4.4k this morning and then did a full strength and stretching session on the patio. 

I really, really hope to finish work during work hours today so I can go run those errands and still have time to start sanding and prepping the bathroom cabinets for painting. It may be a pipe dream, but I would love to finish that project this weekend. After that, the only remaining thing we plan to do in that bathroom is to replace the faucet on the bathtub. 

Then I get to buy new towels. 

Summer Splash Challenge: 613.3 of 600K 
Walking Streak: 109 days

• Like 5