Menu

Well-trained bodies - August

Laura Corin

I have a question that I thought this group might be equipped to give advice on. I've decided to run a half-marathon at the end of October. I've done a couple in the distant past, and I've been running regularly for years, but not the distance required. My question is, as I increase my distances, what kind of pre-exercise body fueling should I try?

Up until now I've always just had a drink of water and been on my way. I'm so much older now, I'm thinking that even though I'm in better shape than I have been in a long time, perhaps a pre-run electrolyte drink or an energy bar would help me complete my runs? Does anybody do this? I've avoided eating before running in the past because I didn't want to feel queasy and I wasn't convinced my body could use the nutrients I had consumed less than two hours before, but I'm willing to give anything a try that might make me more successful.

I have Nuun that I drink post-long runs so that I don't get a headache later in the day. I could just have one of those pre-run also?

What works for you?

• Like 5

30 min dog walk this morning plus bonus 1 mile dog walk yesterday evening.

Dd was having cluster seizures in her left leg when I went over this morning. Never a good day when it starts like that. I pointed out the seizures to the two staff members there--they're subtle enough that it's not obvious to everyone. And then showed one of them how to give the emergency med when it was clearly a cluster pattern. Sigh. Left dd napping and I will go back at lunch to check on her and have I mentioned recently that I hate seizures? I'm looking forward to being able to hand off this stress! BP was fine this morning...should probably check it again.

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

Does anybody do this? I've avoided eating before running in the past because I didn't want to feel queasy and I wasn't convinced my body could use the nutrients I had consumed less than two hours before, but I'm willing to give anything a try that might make me more successful.

I have Nuun that I drink post-long runs so that I don't get a headache later in the day. I could just have one of those pre-run also?

What works for you?

I don't do those ultra distances; the longest I've done is 10k. (And I walk, because my arthritic knees won't have it any other way.) However, that said, I usually do a light something before I head out. Typically, I will eat a piece of fruit and a protein-rich granola bar, and I make sure to drink a good amount of water. (Sometimes, I also sip a small cup of coffee on the drive to the starting point.)

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SusanC said:

I have a question that I thought this group might be equipped to give advice on. I've decided to run a half-marathon at the end of October. I've done a couple in the distant past, and I've been running regularly for years, but not the distance required. My question is, as I increase my distances, what kind of pre-exercise body fueling should I try?

Up until now I've always just had a drink of water and been on my way. I'm so much older now, I'm thinking that even though I'm in better shape than I have been in a long time, perhaps a pre-run electrolyte drink or an energy bar would help me complete my runs? Does anybody do this? I've avoided eating before running in the past because I didn't want to feel queasy and I wasn't convinced my body could use the nutrients I had consumed less than two hours before, but I'm willing to give anything a try that might make me more successful.

What works for you?

I'm not a runner but look at info from Dr  Stacy Sims. She is an athlete herself and has made it her life's work to study women, training, nutrition etc. Most info and studies are done on men and as she says we are not just small men, our physiology is different. I think her book Roar gives lots of detailed info. I have her new book for perimenopause and menopause but I don't think it's as detailed. She has a lot of free info out there too. Good luck 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Weights and core this morning. The gym opened the big doors so with all that lovely breeze I felt comfortable taking off my mask. Gorgeous.

I also have been trying to take a quick walk after eating a meal. I think this is going well--I like the extra movement even if it's not a big-deal workout. I took a walk after lunch (about a quarter mile) and will do so again tonight after dinner.

• Like 4

Fitbit told me to take it easy today, so of course I ignored that...  I set off for a walk across country with some hills with the family and after a couple of miles started to feel quite wobbly.  I had had a good sustaining breakfast and lots of liquid.  I think I'm just tired.  So that turned into a four-mile walk and I had to succumb to a nap this afternoon.  I'm off work today so I was hoping to get a lot done, particularly more reading for my autumn module, but I was just too sleepy.  I did some online shopping for upcoming birthdays and I'll walk before bedtime.  Maybe I'll get out on a bike again tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation of Roar @Soror.  I'm not exactly the target market, at the level of exercise that I aspire to, but it's a very good deal on Kindle at present, I so I think I'll get it anyway.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Not much yesterday because I helped ds move to university. So weird, as now that we know he is getting married in December, we're on the long march of last things. 

Gyrotonics today. It's always good to be there. One factor I am not sure how to address is how my feet spasm. This is something particular to me, not a gyrotonics thing. My feet tend to be very spasmy with lots of muscle tension. (Just like the rest of me, but my feet and my left shoulder are the worst.) Dh is very kind about massaging many times while we watch a movie or a TV show. Gyrotonics involves lots and lots of pointing and flexing, and after a while I'm just sore. I wonder if I should roll out my feet on an icy water bottle beforehand or something like that.

Oh gosh maybe that’s just not an ideal exercise regimens for you. I’d consider stopping and seeing if the spasms stop. There are certain things I refrain from which sucks but having to ice your feet isn’t worth it (for me that means avoiding things that make me stay on my feet too long). 

Protein ideas?  I have been aiming for 1.2g of protein per kg of weight, which puts me at around 70g (58kg body weight).  I'm seeing more like 2g or more recommended, so around 120g.  I also like to include a lot of fibre for gut health.  I'm trying to work out how to reach that - I'm not a fan of ultra-processed foods like protein shakes, and I also can't eat that much these days (post menopause) without putting on weight.

I don't usually eat breakfast, so I double up on protein at lunch.  Currently, it's something like:

Lunch - silken tofu scramble (21g), half a cup of pulses (around 7g), various veg (maybe 5g), half a cup of high-protein home-made yoghurt plus berries (5g)

Snack - nuts (5g)

Supper - maybe a fish fillet (20g) and lots of veg (maybe 5g)

Add in bits of protein from extra fruit/veg, plus I often have a whole grain with supper, and that comes to maybe 80g.  I currently drink oat milk for the cholesterol-lowering properties, but maybe I should switch half of my intake to soy milk.  Any other ideas?  Many thanks.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Fitbit told me to take it easy today, so of course I ignored that...  I set off for a walk across country with some hills with the family and after a couple of miles started to feel quite wobbly.  I had had a good sustaining breakfast and lots of liquid.  I think I'm just tired.  So that turned into a four-mile walk and I had to succumb to a nap this afternoon.  I'm off work today so I was hoping to get a lot done, particularly more reading for my autumn module, but I was just too sleepy.  I did some online shopping for upcoming birthdays and I'll walk before bedtime.  Maybe I'll get out on a bike again tomorrow.

Thanks for the recommendation of Roar @Soror.  I'm not exactly the target market, at the level of exercise that I aspire to, but it's a very good deal on Kindle at present, I so I think I'll get it anyway.

I initially did the laugh react because of the Fitbit comment. The wobbly thing sounds scary. 

11 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

Protein ideas?  I have been aiming for 1.2g of protein per kg of weight, which puts me at around 70g (58kg body weight).  I'm seeing more like 2g or more recommended, so around 120g.  I also like to include a lot of fibre for gut health.  I'm trying to work out how to reach that - I'm not a fan of ultra-processed foods like protein shakes, and I also can't eat that much these days (post menopause) without putting on weight.

I don't usually eat breakfast, so I double up on protein at lunch.  Currently, it's something like:

Lunch - silken tofu scramble (21g), half a cup of pulses (around 7g), various veg (maybe 5g), half a cup of high-protein home-made yoghurt plus berries (5g)

Snack - nuts (5g)

Add in bits of protein from extra fruit/veg, plus I often have a whole grain with supper, and that comes to maybe 80g.  I currently drink oat milk for the cholesterol-lowering properties, but maybe I should switch half of my intake to soy milk.  Any other ideas?  Many thanks.

My protein comes mostly from plain Greek yogurt (I usually eat with fruit & some walnuts), oatmeal and chicken. I also add pumpkin seeds to my salads (mostly for magnesium) which seem to be good for protein, too. Oh and I tend to snack on peanut butter crackers. I often take in the car with me. 

• Like 2

re: protein
Eggs, too. I boil eggs and grab as a snack or to top my salads. Occasionally I’ll do scrambled eggs or bake them in a Pyrex then cut into squares for a sandwich (like ham & egg). 
I didn’t buy more eggs the last few trips out — the Walmart ones I wanted were all damaged. Sam’s club had closed. And I didn’t want to pay extra at Dollar General. I have a few boiled eggs in my fridge, though 

——-

my pedometer seems to be ok now. 
I was so sore yesterday from the other night of bowling. I used muscles in my legs I apparently haven’t used enough lol When I bowl I use my whole body and get down kinda low. My muscles are like nope, not used to that motion. 

I have no idea what I’ll be up to tonight. I want to assemble a hall tree that arrived in the mail (dd told me it was a waste of money. Thanks, kid. I’m just trying to create a drop zone for backpack/shoes). Tomorrow afternoon I am going to be babysitting overnight til Sun afternoon then going to church so probably limited exercise this weekend. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Protein ideas? 

I am most definitely not a role model for this these days. Ever since I started on the Ozempic, I'm having a heck of a time eating much of anything at all. Even when I am physically hungry, I have little appetite; everything sounds like it would taste like sawdust.

I'm sure I'll adjust eventually, and I'm not complaining for the moment, since I am taking off the weight I had not been able to lose on my own. 

With that said -- and remembering that I'm vegan and gluten free -- I have been eating vegan Greek yogurt. I like Silk brand, but I'm not sure what you would have locally. It's a coconut milk base, goes down relatively easy and gives me 10g of protein for under 200 calories. 

Other than that, in terms of concentrated protein sources, it's the usual vegan stuff: nuts (although I have trouble eating more than a few at a time these days), various kinds of beans, etc. I also tip a spoonful of tamari sauce in everything for which it matches the flavor profile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Oh gosh maybe that’s just not an ideal exercise regimens for you. I’d consider stopping and seeing if the spasms stop. There are certain things I refrain from which sucks but having to ice your feet isn’t worth it (for me that means avoiding things that make me stay on my feet too long). 

It's kind of you to express concern. A little background may be helpful here.

I have a chronic condition that rules and controls all (EDS), and I have some dysfunctional "other" conditions (arthritis, gout, digestive dysfunction from an earlier, devastating infection). The main one is Ehler's-Danlos (EDS)--my tendons and ligaments are weak and stretchy and dysfunctional, and they do not hold my joints in place very well. As a result, my muscles attempt to compensate for the connective tissue, so I tend to have many spots on my body where muscles are locked down tight and hard or in spasm. 

If I stopped any exercise that causes spasms, I would never exercise. When spasms happen, I try to find a workaround (like a gentle stretch or an opposite motion or using a ball to coax the muscle to release), and I just keep going. 

Sometimes if I am badly flared up, I might take a magnesium mix as a muscle relaxer. Usually I rely on massage, cold, or heat (especially warm baths) to get the system to calm down. There are many EDS sufferers who end up on powerful pain meds, and I absolutely do not want to go down that road.

It is essential that I do muscle-building exercises to help that compensating process and to prevent painful spasms. The stronger I am, the more easily my joints hold together. Hence my love of weightlifting and general strengthening.

I have bone spurs on my spine as well as compressed and bulging discs in various places. These kinds of arthritic changes are often co-morbid with EDS. I stopped doing martial arts (which I was doing with some modifications for EDS quirks) because it was just too hard on my spine. Too much impact, too much sudden movement, too much nerve pain. On the other hand, gyrotonics specifically helps a LOT with my spine. I feel better and have less nerve pain (shooting numbness as well as pins/needles) each and every time I do gyrotonics. It really helps, and I enjoy the mental challenge as well. 

So my theory about my silly feet is that I am probably walking into gyro with more tension in my feet than I realize, because I mostly ignore the aches and pains and keep doing what needs doing. The idea behind starting with ice or a roller (or both) is to be more intentional in starting with less muscle tension and seeing if I can build up more strength for this. I usually do find that growing stronger eases spasms and pain, so that's what I start with. 

Make sense?🙂

Edited by Harriet Vane
typo
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Laura Corin said:

Snack - nuts (5g)

I'm working on my protein intake too but aiming for higher with my strength training so I'll be listening too. A few thoughts -

Are you sure your yogurt is so low in protein - mine us at least 16g per 3/4 cup.

Re: soy milk I recently switched for protein. It took a bit to adjust but I like it ok now. 

I'd consider going back to eating oats, you get more protein and fiber. Oats and other whole grains often have a chunk- oats have 6 grams protein and 5g fiber (of course that varies by type).

I'm also seeking out higher protein nuts and seeds there is a lot of difference in different ones. Hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds are some higher protein choices.

Lentils, black beans, chickpeas and soybeans are high in protein and get you that fiber too.

I'm not currently meeting my own goals but I'm trying! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

It's kind of you to express concern. A little background may be helpful here.

I have a chronic condition that rules and controls all (EDS), and I have some dysfunctional "other" conditions (arthritis, gout, digestive dysfunction from an earlier, devastating infection). The main one is Ehler's-Danlos (EDS)--my tendons and ligaments are weak and stretchy and dysfunctional, and they do not hold my joints in place very well. As a result, my muscles attempt to compensate for the connective tissue, so I tend to have many spots on my body where muscles are locked down tight and hard or in spasm. 

If I stopped any exercise that causes spasms, I would never exercise. When spasms happen, I try to find a workaround (like a gentle stretch or an opposite motion or using a ball to coax the muscle to release), and I just keep going. 

Sometimes if I am badly flared up, I might take a magnesium mix as a muscle relaxer. Usually I rely on massage, cold, or heat (especially warm baths) to get the system to calm down. There are many EDS sufferers who end up on powerful pain meds, and I absolutely do not want to go down that road.

It is essential that I do muscle-building exercises to help that compensating process and to prevent painful spasms. The stronger I am, the more easily my joints hold together. Hence my love of weightlifting and general strengthening.

I have bone spurs on my spine as well as compressed and bulging discs in various places. These kinds of arthritic changes are often co-morbid with EDS. I stopped doing martial arts (which I was doing with some modifications for EDS quirks) because it was just too hard on my spine. Too much impact, too much sudden movement, too much nerve pain. On the other hand, gyrotonics specifically helps a LOT with my spine. I feel better and have less nerve pain (shooting numbness as well as pins/needles) each and every time I do gyrotonics. It really helps, and I enjoy the mental challenge as well. 

So my theory about my silly feet is that I am probably walking into gyro with more tension in my feet than I realize, because I mostly ignore the aches and pains and keep doing what needs doing. The idea behind starting with ice or a roller (or both) is to be more intentional in starting with less muscle tension and seeing if I can build up more strength for this. I usually do find that growing stronger eases spasms and pain, so that's what I start with. 

Make sense?🙂

Oh that's quite complicated. I don't know if there's a specific thing you can do before class to help. I'm still debating buying this thing: foot and leg stretcher I don't know if that would help you as well? 

I do keep a frozen water bottle in my freezer, but when I need it it's always too cold/shocking so I have to wrap with a thin towel. They had an awesome thing at the PT office that was like a mostly flat rectangle with cooling stuff inside it... like this

I was given specific exercises for my feet to do daily but I haven't done them in a while. Toe curls, lifting heels up and down, and some that I don't know how to explain very well. If you ever need foot stretch ideas. 

2 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

Oh that's quite complicated. I don't know if there's a specific thing you can do before class to help. I'm still debating buying this thing: foot and leg stretcher I don't know if that would help you as well? 

I do keep a frozen water bottle in my freezer, but when I need it it's always too cold/shocking so I have to wrap with a thin towel. They had an awesome thing at the PT office that was like a mostly flat rectangle with cooling stuff inside it... like this

I was given specific exercises for my feet to do daily but I haven't done them in a while. Toe curls, lifting heels up and down, and some that I don't know how to explain very well. If you ever need foot stretch ideas. 

I assume you have plantar fasciitis? If so, the night splint you linked will definitely help. So will the exercises you mentioned and the cold bottle or wrap. 

I struggled with plantar fasciitis for years and still get flares, but I was able to make remarkable progress with the night splints and strengthening. I went from being quite hobbled to being very active, and I no longer wear night splints. ☺️ That’s the power of strengthening through targeted exercise. 🎉

I appreciate the reminder, though, because I think you’re right—stretching by pulling my toes back will likely help before class. It really does help the arch of the foot settle into place and eases muscle tension there. I had not thought of that. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Soror said:

I'm working on my protein intake too but aiming for higher with my strength training so I'll be listening too. A few thoughts -

Are you sure your yogurt is so low in protein - mine us at least 16g per 3/4 cup.

Re: soy milk I recently switched for protein. It took a bit to adjust but I like it ok now. 

I'd consider going back to eating oats, you get more protein and fiber. Oats and other whole grains often have a chunk- oats have 6 grams protein and 5g fiber (of course that varies by type).

I'm also seeking out higher protein nuts and seeds there is a lot of difference in different ones. Hemp seeds and pumpkin seeds are some higher protein choices.

Lentils, black beans, chickpeas and soybeans are high in protein and get you that fiber too.

I'm not currently meeting my own goals but I'm trying! 

Thanks. I cut down on the oatmeal when I stopped eating breakfast, but I could add it back into lunch.

I think the protein is right for the yoghurt - I don't strain it, so presumably it's not as concentrated as commercial yoghurt. It's a litre of skimmed milk and half a cup of skimmed milk powder, plus the culture. That's it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I assume you have plantar fasciitis? If so, the night splint you linked will definitely help. So will the exercises you mentioned and the cold bottle or wrap. 

I struggled with plantar fasciitis for years and still get flares, but I was able to make remarkable progress with the night splints and strengthening. I went from being quite hobbled to being very active, and I no longer wear night splints. ☺️ That’s the power of strengthening through targeted exercise. 🎉

I appreciate the reminder, though, because I think you’re right—stretching by pulling my toes back will likely help before class. It really does help the arch of the foot settle into place and eases muscle tension there. I had not thought of that. 

Yes. The one I linked you have to pull on to pull toes back. The exercise band I own doesn’t help pull on toes. I do sleep with night splints from my podiatrist (I’ve done this several months) but they don’t work that great because the Velcro doesn’t stay well and the safety pins I added can’t keep it as snug as I need. They really should create them without Velcro but snaps or something. I may need to add my own Velcro on top. 

I wear insoles from my podiatrist’s office that I couldn’t find elsewhere. I mean I owned powerstep already but not that model. They say plantar fasciitis on the box and have extra cushion by the heel. Though I don’t have heel spurs and my pain is more the arch. And I think I’m overdue to replace them again. It’s been over 6 months. But I would rather get a new podiatrist than go back there for the follow up I blew off. So I’ve been dragging my feet (no pun intended). 

The foot issue is due to overtight calves but nothing I’ve done seems to help. I can stand on my slant board to stretch the calves then it feels like I never did the next day. I feel like all my stretching is reversed within 24 hrs. So I want to believe in targeted exercise but this has been months of meh 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Yes. The one I linked you have to pull on to pull toes back. The exercise band I own doesn’t help pull on toes. I do sleep with night splints from my podiatrist (I’ve done this several months) but they don’t work that great because the Velcro doesn’t stay well and the safety pins I added can’t keep it as snug as I need. They really should create them without Velcro but snaps or something. I may need to add my own Velcro on top. 

I wear insoles from my podiatrist’s office that I couldn’t find elsewhere. I mean I owned powerstep already but not that model. They say plantar fasciitis on the box and have extra cushion by the heel. Though I don’t have heel spurs and my pain is more the arch. And I think I’m overdue to replace them again. It’s been over 6 months. But I would rather get a new podiatrist than go back there for the follow up I blew off. So I’ve been dragging my feet (no pun intended). 

The foot issue is due to overtight calves but nothing I’ve done seems to help. I can stand on my slant board to stretch the calves then it feels like I never did the next day. I feel like all my stretching is reversed within 24 hrs. So I want to believe in targeted exercise but this has been months of meh 

Oh, you poor thing. That sounds terribly frustrating.

People tend to "fight" the night splints while they sleep. One work-around is to wear a rigid boot created for the purpose. They usually have straps and such to get the correct angle. I did this for quite some time--it helped, but it was also distracting and I woke up when I moved in bed because of those big clunky things.

The other thing to do is keep a beach towel or a twin sheet handy next to your bed and stretch your feet before you sleep and also before you get out of bed. Do this religiously--it really helps, especially if you're not able to engage with the night splints. There are some people who cannot manage night splints at all, so they rely on this stretching.

The other thing that comes to mind is your knees and hips. If you're tight or weak up above, it contributes to what's happening in your feet. Consider using a roller to soften your calves, hamstrings, and IT band. Also do leg stretches and toe touches to ease up the tension in your thighs and lower back. Like the toe stretching, this needs to be done with disciplined regularity.

Finally, I made a lot of progress when I shifted to an orthotic support that has not only the bump at the back of the arch near the heel, but also has a little ridge at the front of the arch to support the metatarsils. In my case, I was diagnosed with both plantar fascitis and metarsalgia, which is why they gave me the more elaborate orthotic. This may or may not be applicable to you, though.

You may already know all this--just throwing it out there in case any is useful to you.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SusanC said:

What works for you?

I have run many half marathons and two full marathons at age 40. I bought myself a water bottle belt with 4 small bottles,  and had water in 2 and Gatorade in the other 2, especially in hot weather when I'd sweat a lot. Losing too much salts can be tough on the body. I drink as I run and my body gets used to this. For really long runs leading up to marathon distance, I might bring a granola bar or raisins in addition to water and Gatorade. 

You asked about pre-run beverages, I honestly have no clue. I'm usually too busy getting in one last pee, hoping I won't need to pee during the run. 

• Like 5

Still quite tired today, and my knee is playing up (I think maybe because of riding that bike with the inconsistent gears, that forced me to exert too much pressure).  So I read The Man of Mode for my autumn module, have just done half an hour of hand weights and will walk before bedtime.  In the meantime, I'm sitting down to watch Waiting for Godot for the module - it's forty years since I read it.

• Like 5

Got in a bonus walk with Molly the labrador pretty early yesterday evening which was a good thing because I was called to the foster home for more seizures around 6:00pm. I had a pile of stuff ready to go in case they called during the night--one more cluster in the same 24 hours would have meant a trip to the ER. A "stuff" pile for the ER would be clothes to throw on--not shorts because it might be cold, socks (several emergency trips in dd's youth I ended up at the hospital with no socks--always bring socks), a book and a Kind bar in my purse, a water bottle, a sweat jacket, and I need to remember to grab my phone's charging cord. But I got to sleep through the night with no call. Up early today--30 min walk with Molly. Then over to the foster care home where dd was starting the next set of cluster seizures. We gave her more rescue med since we were in a new 24 hour period, but again, if there are any more today I will take her to the ER. So I'm in this weird mode of not wanting to get too deep into anything as I might be called away. I should just get some stuff done now while I have the chance. Clean the bathrooms. Do my PT. Okay, I'm going to go do that stuff now. Could be a long weekend.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

Any updates, @Ali in OR

My landlord said he’d come by and fix ds’ bedroom door on Sat. I told him on Thursday that I’d be gone part of Sat and he said he’d do it with my consent while I was gone if that was ok. I agreed. But because I didn’t leave for babysitting til 3:30 I kept thinking will he try to come while I’m home? I tidied up and unpacked a few more things, I prepared meals to bring to the home and did some laundry. I didn’t get any formal exercise in but I’m at over 10k steps and the kids I’m babysitting just drifted off to sleep. 

• Like 5

Dd and I spent yesterday afternoon in the ER as seizure clusters returned again. They aren't scary seizures--just the left leg jerking, but still we have to get the pattern stopped. They gave her Ativan and then gave her more 2 hours later. They drew blood for med levels. We had upped one of her meds after the last bad weekend, but only the morning dose. ER doc agreed it would make sense to up the pm dose (blood level was low normal) and he also gave her a boost on that med there at the ER. We were released with her leg still going off periodically but the ER doc said it would be fine as the increased med kicked in. Made me very nervous, but I went over to the foster care home early this morning and she had slept all night (~12 hours) and no seizures this morning. I will still be on edge the next few days. At least dh gets home today.

Still managed a bonus walk with Molly when I got home last night and a 30 min walk early this morning.

• Sad 5

@Ali in OR I hope your dd is doing better now. That is scary. Hope you've had a chance to sleep and relax. Must have been quite stressful for you.

We played more doubles tennis on the grass court, and then we went to the lake to paddle. I tried out my friend's stand up paddleboard and she tried out my kayak. It was kind of fun on the paddleboard, but I much prefer kayaking. I feel like the kayak is an extension of my body, and I have lots of freedom to move exactly how I like. Perched on top of a paddleboard was far too limiting, but I can understand why some people enjoy it. 

Sadly, my tennis today was rained out. That 's the second time we won't get to play with our friends. At least I know I'll play tennis tomorrow morning, as we'll be inside the dome. 😉 

• Like 6

Didn't post yesterday, but it was a pretty typical Saturday. I walked a couple of kilometers with the dog first thing, then headed over to the nature preserve for yoga (including walking a total of 2k from parking lot to lakeside and back).  I did a little shopping in the afternoon, but still ended up with about 5,000 steps to do at the end of the day. And then, of course, a storm rolled in. So, I hit the stationary bike for about 50 minutes/10 miles.

I slept fewer than four hours last night--just could not relax and drift off-- but still managed to sleep late, which meant it was already hot and unpleasant by the time I got out for the walk. 

Sundays are "rest day," so after the walk I went back to my bathroom redecorating project.

True confession: The project is kicking my butt. Today, I finished sanding the cabinets, drilled the holes for the hardware, taped off everything and started painting the cabinets on one side. Painting the countertops was a whole lot easier, because it didn't require me to crawl on my knees all over the tile floor. This part is pretty miserable, but I'm trying to remind myself that (a) it will look nice when it's done and (b) the effort to do it probably counts as exercise. 

For the moment, though, I'm at that stage of the project when I really, really wish I hadn't started it.

So, now I have given myself up to sitting on the couch streaming No Demo Reno and hoping to feel re-energized.

Summer Splash Challenge: 645.0 of 600K 
Walking Streak: 111 days

• Like 6

@Jenny in FloridaCan you wear something like knee pads or use a padded kneeler or towel on the tile? I remember it not being fun painting the baseboards but I didn’t have much handy so I mostly scooted on my butt lol I love that show. I watch whatever episodes I get free on my HGTV app. Lately been watching Love It or List It. 

I finished babysitting this afternoon. I got kids to go on short walk (just us) but then we couldn’t get dogs to cooperate to do second walk with them. At that point youngest child lost interest so we couldn’t go. We did go on 2 short outings so I got a few steps in there and then after the parents returned I did my errands. I had to kill time before evening Mass so I took my time at Walmart getting non perishables. After church stopped at another Walmart for perishables and the 2pk of ultra fine sharpies no one else seemed to carry. I got a little over 12k steps today. 

I didn’t sleep great last night (checking on kids - dogs making noises, kid coughing) and tomorrow morning I plan to finish magazine route so I hope I get good sleep tonight. I let dogs out early am (I don’t own a dog so just let them out right away assuming they may need to potty) and then the whole household was up for the day at 6am. Ugh lol Dog people are crazy 😉 

They’ve made Monday the new newbie night for pickleball in one city but I don’t know if I’ll time it right to play tomorrow. 

• Like 6

@Ali in OR I'm sorry to read about your bad weekend. Thinking of you and your family.

@Jenny in Florida I totally understand what you mean about the project. That's how all mine go. This won't be so bad. It will be great to have it done. Damn it's a lot of work and this sucks. 

@wintermom hmmm, I've not heard of a grass court. I guess the ground still has to be nice and level like a regular court? 

@Laura Corin just the like as you're working on increasing your sleep you get a nightmare

@heartlikealion you were plenty busy even without exercise, it certainly counts

@Harriet Vane hope your hip and back are feeling better soon

• Like 5

Worked outside all weekend. Knocked out another hard job, many more to go. We probably won't do much work until next weekend since dh starts back to college today.

My big kids start back to PS. I expect some bumps as everybody adjusts but hoping for an easier schedule for me very soon. If dd has to be in school all day I don't have to be driving her around everywhere, right? 

Trying to decide what to do as far as workouts this week. I don't want to start a big program in case Caroline decides to put a new one out, it's fun to do one along with lots of people. I'm considering doing the Calisthenics week for a change up. Also considering the shorter HIIT series (20 min each). 

• Like 5

10 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

@Jenny in FloridaCan you wear something like knee pads or use a padded kneeler or towel on the tile? I remember it not being fun painting the baseboards but I didn’t have much handy so I mostly scooted on my butt lol I love that show. I watch whatever episodes I get free on my HGTV app.

I was kneeling on a folded towel, but it just was not enough. Fortunately, after a couple of hours on the couch, when I went back into the bathroom and saw one vanity and two of the cabinet doors with their first coat, I could begin to remember why I thought painting would be a good idea. 

Didn't stop me from waking up incredibly sore and stiff this morning, but it may be enough to get me through.

Sadly, we have apparently run out of No Demo Reno episodes to watch on Discovery+, which makes me very sad. I love those home reno shows, but only when they don't lean heavily on the manufactured drama. So, now I'm on the lookout for another, similar show to binge. (I've already made my way through Good Bones, Home Town, Backyard Builds . . .)

• Like 6

@heartlikealion - I hope you can make it to pickleball. That sounds like a fun way to get some exercise and some social time.

@Ali in OR - I'm sorry your daughter had to make the ER trip. I hope the increased dosage does the trick for her.

After a few episodes of said home reno shows and a bowl of oatmeal (realized I hadn't eaten all day), I gathered up the dog and went for a 3k walk last night to finish off the day's steps.

Woke up this morning with a very sore and stiff back and left shoulder. It didn't help that the new cat had himself parked on my arm purring and begging for attention. Once I got him dislodged, I made it out of bed and took the dog with me for the usual morning 4k. It was a little warm, so I stayed inside to do the strength and stretching. 

Summer Splash Challenge: 648.9 of 650K
(Decided to bump the goal, since I have until tomorrow to complete the challenge.)

Walking Streak: 112 days

• Like 6

Dh is back, so I no longer get the dog in the morning (she prefers running with him to walking with me). And I was trying to get exercise done early to go see dd, so I didn't use the treadmill where dh was still asleep but did a steady state cardio video instead.

Dd was fine this morning but just going through these big seizure cycles puts me on edge for awhile. I do find myself saying, "okay, I need to go take care of me now." And that could mean doing my PT exercises, going on a walk, or eating some plants. It's nice to be able to focus on that a bit over the summer. I think I need to remember to do that during the school year too.

My BP has stayed in the normal range pretty much--I wish the diastolic would go under 80 but it doesn't very often. Whether it's the improved diet or bonus exercise, I'm thankful that it's not looking like an immediate medical issue.

I'm going into school today to get my tech stuff set up and clean out my classroom a bit. Next week teachers are back to work for meetings, trainings, and prep, but school doesn't start until the Wednesday of the week after.

• Like 6

I played mixed doubles tennis early this morning before work. It was really fun, and nice to get on the court after being rained out yesterday. 

@Soror Grass tennis courts are not common, though they are famous in Wimbedon. 😉 

I'll try to get out for a walk with the puppy at the off-leash trails later today.

• Like 6

So many people on this thread are doing amazing things - garden and home projects, intensive caring, challenging jobs. I raise a toast to you all.

I was very busy at work today, then saw my mum right after. I extended my after-supper walk to around four miles though. My knee is still tricky, but it's fine on the flat. 

Still sleeping through my allowed hours, barring nightmares. My time increases to seven hours on Wednesday. 

• Like 6

Delivered the rest of the magazines today. It was raining off/on all day ugh and projected to stay that way most of the week. I forgot to wear my pedometer but it probably would have gotten wet. I’ll just assume I got 4K or so because my iPhone had 3,000 something and I didn’t wear it all day. 

Got Lowe’s to color match the cabinet doors best they could. I’m dreading that project. Don’t I need to just take the doors back off?? What’s even the point of putting new doors on before we paint the surrounding areas. I can’t not paint it. It will drive me mad looking at the kitchen in the current state. 

I have so much to do before I really finish unpacking the kitchen. It’s more cluttered than I’d like but why even unpack more when I have to paint, dispense diatomaceous earth and finish lining the drawers and cabinets with that shelf liner stuff (not the sticky kind). Next place I move better be turn key lol 

image.thumb.png.b11e2e13d02cf7bc316e7cdcd3bebc59.png

I hopped on bike for 30 min tonight. My weight isn’t where I want it to be and I’m not making the deficits I need. Gotta get back on track with intentional exercise. I didn’t even bother packing spare clothes for Pickleball. I was too busy and I think it got rained out. 

• Like 6

I did my 45 min calisthenics lower body workout yesterday. It was nice and challenging. Not really hard exercises for the most part just the time under tension- long sets. Otherwise I did hardly nothing at all. I should have at least walked around the house early or at lunch but I didn't. I got in very few steps. I was just tired and we did school until nearly 6 when it was time to cook supper, shortly after supper was bedtime. 

Last night I woke up a million times to go pee. I had too much to drink before bed. The cup of tea right before was not a good choice!

today: -- calisthenics-- upper body and core- 45 min

little walks around the house

I have to drive 1.5 hrs (one way) for my appt so not a ton of time today but I should be more active than yesterday at least.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, Soror said:

Last night I woke up a million times to go pee. I had too much to drink before bed. The cup of tea right before was not a good choice!

I had to give up my beloved after-supper cup of decaff tea because my sleep was disturbed by the loo visits. I stop serious drinking after lunch these days unless I'm hiking.

Today - 20 minutes of light weights before work and a level walk at lunchtime. 

• Like 6

Yesterday was the first day of the semester for my grad school program, and I had planned to kick off study time right after work. However, I ended up working late and feeling like I pretty desperately needed a break from staring at the screen. So, I took a long solo walk (the dog declined to join me) to finish off the day's steps, then parked myself on the couch with my laptop and perused syllabi and just did the obligatory "please introduce yourself to the class" posts.

Had every intention of getting up a little earlier today -- I set my alarm back by 15 minutes. However, I promptly went back to sleep and ended up not waking up again until an hour later, which once again has me running late with the morning routine. 

I did get in a full 4k+walk, followed by a 20-minute upper body video. Assuming no disasters, I'll go to an hour of yoga tonight and do enough walking before and/or after to meet my 15,000 step goal.

Today is the first day of the new seasonal challenge. It's also registration day for the final WDW race event of the season. Crossing my fingers I get into that one. I'm also hoping to sign up for the mass yoga event this time, because it's led by one of my local yoga teachers. 

And, at some point, I'll study.

Fall Frenzy 2022 Challenge: 4.17 ok 650k
Summer Splash Challenge: 654 of 650K - Completed
Walking Streak: 113 days

• Like 4

@Soror Night-time bathroom breaks are part of my normal routine since pregancies. I've gotten used to them, I guess. The only challenging part now is navigating in the dark and trying to avoid stubbing my toes. That doesn't help getting back to sleep. 🤪

Dh and I are playing doubles tennis this evening. I hope the rain holds off! Otherwise, I'm hoping to get out walking with the dogs.

ETA:  Rats! Tennis was rained out. Hope I don't just sit in front of the TV and eat. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4

My landlord is reducing my Sept rent a little for painting so that’s good. Just don’t know when I’ll get to it. It will make the kitchen stink and the kids come over 2 weekends in a row because Xh has a conflict and I said it was fine for them to come. 

It’s pouring outside. New (to me) indoor location with $5 fee was shared in pickleball group so I’ll try that place out sometime. Just did so much driving recently I don’t want to go out that far if I can avoid it. 1 hr drive every time I go bowling or play pickleball. 

I will try to start disc 2 of HIIT program today with goal being something like Tues/Thurs/Sat. There are 3 exercises (one per day) on each disc and you do each disc 3 weeks. 

My feet are a little sore but not horrible. I ordered a new brand of insoles I saw with a lightning deal & coupon ($11). Worst case they aren’t very good but I can put in shoes I wear less often that don’t have any insoles. The brand is Xstance. 

HGTV shows - try Bargain Block. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Did my bodyweight circuit x2 and a 6 min yoga for abs. Short but intense if you don't normally do anything--like slow-motion bicycle crunches. I'm down a pound or two and losing the roll that has been flowing over my waistband has me thinking maybe trying to tone the midsection a bit would be good. Bonus walk last night with both dh and the dog which was nice and another bonus walk with dd and her long-legged caregiver this morning--a bit faster-paced than my usual!

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Weights and core today. I did crunches on the table with my feet on a bosu, and it was much harder!!! I think that may have flared some neck/shoulder tension, so I may switch back to a ball. Will continue with the back/hip stuff today as well.

oh my goodness. 

Sometimes I lie on the floor with calves on the couch and when I lift I push on my ab muscles. I don't know if it's scientifically proven, my dad taught me to do them that way lol. He said it was better on the back or something. I just rarely do them. 

• Like 4