Menu

would you eat this?? bacon

ProudGrandma

I opened up a package of bacon just now (yesterday was the eat by date) and the meat is pink, there is no icky smell (or any smell for that matter), but there is some slimy stuff in the package....but afterall, bacon is greasy, so how in the world are you supposed to know if it's slime (bad) or just grease (not bad)?  

Would you be concerned or not?

I have come across slimy bacon before and it's always been fine. to me there is a difference between the greasiness of the bacon and the slimy feel. I've come to the (possibly wrong) conclusion that the eat-by or sell-by date is based on colder storage than I have in my home fridge - which has a thermometer in it and it always around 36-38F, which should be cold enough. But, now when I buy bacon (4 pack at Costco) I open up all the packs and freeze the bacon within a few days. 

(I roll up the slices and lay them out on a cookie sheet, put it in the freezer till they are hard enough they won't stick together, then put them in a freezer bag. Then, I just get out the number of slices I need at a given time.)

Edited by marbel

41 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

so the score is 3 to 3....anybody else care to chime in??

The bacon is clearly spoiled. The slime is caused by Lactobacillales (lactic acid bacteria).

Do as you will, but getting food poisoning isn't fun.

Toss the bacon. It is not fit for consumption. Really.

Bill

12 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

The bacon is clearly spoiled. The slime is caused by Lactobacillales (lactic acid bacteria).

Do as you will, but getting food poisoning isn't fun.

Toss the bacon. It is not fit for consumption. Really.

Bill

I will toss it.  But I would think if it was spoiled,  it would have had a spoiled smell or looked funny or something too. The meat wasn't slimy... just slimy/greasy stuff in the package...again, like bacon grease. 

I just found out that my boys each ate a few pieces before I decided what to do... guess I will know more soon enough, huh? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, kfeusse said:

I will toss it.  But I would think if it was spoiled,  it would have had a spoiled smell or looked funny or something too. The meat wasn't slimy... just slimy/greasy stuff in the package...again, like bacon grease. 

I just found out that my boys each ate a few pieces before I decided what to do... guess I will know more soon enough, huh? 

Slime on bacon is all the evidence one needs that bacon is spoiled.

Hopefully the cooking killed off the bad bacteria and your boys don't get sick. 

Bill

• Like 2

I’ve changed my mind. I’d toss it.

Former vegetarian here, and I’m squeamish about food going off. Lack of smell, one day from best by date, and the “slime” initially being described as bacon grease made me think it’s ok, but any time I doubt something — I toss it. Why risk it? So, I’d toss.

In fact, I tossed a roast today. Sigh. It was probably fine, but I had questions.

So, yeh, toss it!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kfeusse said:

Hope they are okay!

I'm in the "when in doubt, throw it out" club mindset most of the time even though I hate to waste food/money.  I'm just too afraid of food poisoning.  

• Like 2

Technically, I would “know” that it’s perfectly fine.
But I would be too icked out by the slime to move forward.

”Best By” dates are pretty dang arbitrary. It’s difficult for a standard American package of bacon to go BAD, as in, it could harm you. Dates typically refer to when the company is willing to promise the best quality in terms of taste and texture. Sliminess is not the best texture.

I do not like slimy.

53 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Technically, I would “know” that it’s perfectly fine.
But I would be too icked out by the slime to move forward.

”Best By” dates are pretty dang arbitrary. It’s difficult for a standard American package of bacon to go BAD, as in, it could harm you. Dates typically refer to when the company is willing to promise the best quality in terms of taste and texture. Sliminess is not the best texture.

I do not like slimy.

"Slime" is not simply a matter of "texture," rather it is prima facie evidence of bacterial growth/spoilage. Eating spoiled meat is not "fine."

Best By dates can be somewhat arbitrary, but signs of food spoilage are not.

Slime on bacon is absolutely indicative that the meat has spoiled. Bacon does become "slimy" w/o being spoiled by bacterial growth.

Eating and handling spoiled meat can get people sick. 

Not worth the risk.

Bill