Menu

“I just learned . . .” + vocabulary

KungFuPanda

Just now, KungFuPanda said:

I know way too many people who make strawberry “shortcake” using sponge cake cups. 

Which way do you make it? In my family, it's always biscuits unless it's too hot to bake, and then it's angel food cake from the store (very rarely). Once in a while scones, but my family's biscuits are like unsweetened scones.

I do it with scones.  (I guess “shortcake” is just American for scones?) I’ll admit to using angel food occasionally because I really like that flavor but I try not to call it shortcake. Now my question is is Strawberry Shortcake even a shortcake specific recipe or more of a delivery system for strawberries and cream? 🥰 🍓🍓🍓🍓🍓

19 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

a delivery system for strawberries and cream? 🥰 🍓🍓🍓🍓🍓

This, lol!!!

So, I was in a fancy grocery store the other day to get desserts (dessert and park date with DH), and they had shortcake that was nothing like any of this. Nothing.  It was layers of a thin, white cake with creamy stuff and fruity stuff (but not gobs of fruit all chopped up). 

What is the world coming to? 🤷‍♀️ 😲🤣

My poor dd could never keep waffle and falafel straight in her head.  She likes both but when you think you ordered one and get the other, it can be disappointing.  LOL.  She is an adult now and I blew her mind by sending her a recipe for falafel made in a waffle iron.

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Corraleno said:

To me, lima beans and butter beans are not interchangeable in recipes. Butter beans are soft, white, creamy, flat, and delicious, while lima beans are green, starchy, smaller, and gross. If I couldn't find canned butter beans, I'd use cannellini beans not lima beans. But in googling around, it seems that in some places the names are used interchangeably, with the distinction between white and green lima beans?

Side note: I grew up on the creamy white Lima beans and never encountered a green one until adulthood. I didn’t really understand why kids on tv hated them so much. The green ones that people like to put in succotash are not delicious. I don’t fully understand their purpose. Where do you even buy green Lima beans? 

47 minutes ago, KungFuPanda said:

Side note: I grew up on the creamy white Lima beans and never encountered a green one until adulthood. I didn’t really understand why kids on tv hated them so much. The green ones that people like to put in succotash are not delicious. I don’t fully understand their purpose. Where do you even buy green Lima beans? 

I had the opposite experience — grew up eating canned green lima beans (gag), and I was an adult before I ever ate (or even heard of) butter beans, and that was always in an Italian soup or pasta dish. Apparently there are lots of different varieties of limas, with different sizes, shapes (round to flat), colors ( even red and speckled ones), and taste. The ones below labeled "Green Baby* Limas" are what I always knew as lima beans, and the large flat white ones labeled "Large Limas" are what I've always called butter beans.

*ETA "Baby" is apparently a variety name and not a reference to beans that are picked younger or less mature. The large flat creamier ones I think are "Fordham"?

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 10.10.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 10.10.26 AM.png

Edited by Corraleno

On 7/1/2022 at 12:34 PM, KungFuPanda said:

They really need to be cooked longer than most people cook them for--at least 20 minutes and maybe longer (from frozen, never had fresh). They are pretty good cooked and tossed with oil or butter and a little parsley. I've only ever use frozen lima beans when I cook it as a veggie. I use butter beans from a can if I need them in a baked bean dish.

The best ever are in my aunt's chicken cacciatore. Her husband was Italian, and she really liked to cook. Yum. The closest thing I can find online is Roman style, but it's still not quite like hers. Anyway, it has green bell peppers (a specific variety that I can't remember, but regular ones work too), white wine (and some broth), limas, butter, etc. It can turn a lima hater into a fan. 🙂 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:03 AM, KungFuPanda said:

Now my question is is Strawberry Shortcake even a shortcake specific recipe or more of a delivery system for strawberries and cream? 🥰 🍓🍓🍓🍓🍓

We skip the shortcake and just have the strawberries and cream, my kids skip the utensil and the adults use spoons until it's time to lick the bowl. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2022 at 9:24 AM, KungFuPanda said:

My grandmother always said she needed to “run the sweeper.”  Mom still says it sometimes. I might do it too, but I’m not sure. I never actually thought about it until you mentioned it.  🤣

We always "run the sweeper" here in Ohio.

• Like 1

I just learned the English word for the smell of rain. It is the unique smell of rain falling on dry, parched soil. It is a very earthy smell. You can also smell it occasionally when the sprinklers hit parched earth in the height of summer. My language has a word to describe it and I have often wondered if English had a word too. 

It is Pertichor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor

• Like 7

6 hours ago, DreamerGirl said:

I just learned the English word for the smell of rain. It is the unique smell of rain falling on dry, parched soil. It is a very earthy smell. You can also smell it occasionally when the sprinklers hit parched earth in the height of summer. My language has a word to describe it and I have often wondered if English had a word too. 

It is Pertichor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petrichor

I love this word and I particularly like the derivation from the life blood of the gods.

• Like 2