Menu

How would you handle this situation with a neighborhood kid?

HomeAgain

On 6/22/2022 at 2:40 AM, Catwoman said:

Yes, maybe it’s a regional thing or something?

I still find it so odd that kids would be shooting each other with BB guns, and that anyone would be excusing it as normal kid behavior. I can’t imagine why anyone would want to shoot their friends with BB guns. The entire concept is foreign to me. And gun safety is something we were taught since we were little kids, so it’s scary to think that kids would be so quick to disregard simple, common sense safety rules. 

I think @katilac mentioned it being common for teens to ride in the back of pickup trucks, too, and that was something we never saw, either. Pickup trucks weren’t common teen vehicles where I lived, anyway. When someone drove a pickup, it was generally for work. 

It wasn't teens owning pickups and driving other teens when I was a kid, it was adults owning pickups and piling 5 kids in the back to go over to the pool or out for ice cream. I can't imagine seeing that today but I absolutely ride in pickup beds as a 5 year old.

• Like 5

On 6/22/2022 at 2:40 AM, Catwoman said:

I think @katilac mentioned it being common for teens to ride in the back of pickup trucks, too, and that was something we never saw, either. Pickup trucks weren’t common teen vehicles where I lived, anyway. When someone drove a pickup, it was generally for work. 

Well, I just rode in the back of a pickup truck last week with a bunch of teens. It was on a backcountry road. 

It also happens a lot on mission trips in the mountains.  Only way we can get that many people around up there.

Edited by TexasProud
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ceilingfan said:

It wasn't teens owning pickups and driving other teens when I was a kid, it was adults owning pickups and piling 5 kids in the back to go over to the pool or out for ice cream. I can't imagine seeing that today but I absolutely ride in pickup beds as a 5 year old.

Right, I didn't say anything about teens or teens owning pickup trucks, I said it was something plenty of kids did back in the day. Adults piled kids into the back of the truck for an outing. 

1 hour ago, TexasProud said:

Well, I just rode in the back of a pickup truck last week with a bunch of teens. It was on a backcountry road. 

It also happens a lot on mission trips in the mountains.  Only way we can get that many people around up there.

Well, having it be less likely that another car will run over you is a plus, but don't discount the serious danger of being ejected even when no other vehicles are involved.

I don't do it ever, because I value my head staying in its current condition, but also because I don't want to model that behavior for young people. I annoyed numerous people for years because I would not let my kids do it in 'the country' or at our camp. 

If it's something that has to be done, that's a different situation. We have a lot of people around here who pile into trucks to get to work - you see it daily, and my kids once wondered why they never seemed to get tickets. I told them it's bc that is the only way these people have to get to work, and the cops know that. It's still just as dangerous, but they are balancing the possibility of something happening vs not being able to provide food and shelter to their kids. 

38 minutes ago, katilac said:

Well, having it be less likely that another car will run over you is a plus, but don't discount the serious danger of being ejected even when no other vehicles are involved.

Yeah, going 15 mph in a caravan of 5 cars to go spraypaint (long story...not illegal, local tradition), I wasn't worried at all.  And I am VERY safety cautious. It didn't bother me at all. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SKL said:

Not sure what your point is.  I wasn’t talking about my kids.

Darwin's theory is based on the idea that certain behaviors lead to organisms being less likely to pass on their genetic material.  If you did those things, and haven't passed on your genetic material it might be evidence Darwin is right, or it might be coincidence, but it's certainly not evidence he was wrong.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Oh, I might be late to this but in my grandparent’s area there was a horrific accident with many dead migrant farm- workers killed in an accident while riding in the back of a pick-up truck.

I heard it was just horrific.

I heard the other driver was drunk.

But I both think it’s not okay, and that if people were doing it and they had no other way to make a living, I wouldn’t pull them over, either.  

But I would prefer that the situation didn’t exist.  

On 6/22/2022 at 1:06 AM, SKL said:

The point we were making is not that shooting bb guns at each other is good healthy fun, but that a bb gun is not a "weapon" comparable to other kinds of guns, as was implied in an earlier post.  It is more comparable to throwing pebbles at each other.

My uncle lost his eye due to a BB gun. It’s hard to fathom a pebble could have done the same damage.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Frances said:

My uncle lost his eye due to a BB gun. It’s hard to fathom a pebble could have done the same damage.

I don't think it's hard to fathom losing an eye to being hit there with a pebble.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baseballandhockey said:

Darwin's theory is based on the idea that certain behaviors lead to organisms being less likely to pass on their genetic material.  If you did those things, and haven't passed on your genetic material it might be evidence Darwin is right, or it might be coincidence, but it's certainly not evidence he was wrong.  

Hmm OK ... though my dad did dumb things too and passed the trait to me.  😛  And my accident-prone BIL has 2 biological kids.  And my brothers procreated too.  So ... 😛

• Like 1