Menu

Algebra Help!!

KBadd

I'm trying to figure out Algebra 1 for my 2 boys next year:

Both have completed Singapore Math up through 6B, and I feel like we've been floundering since finishing that a year ago.

We tried AOPS Pre-algebra.  It felt like we were slogging through.  Neither one liked it and really don't want to return to it.  I felt like it was too difficult for them to do simple equations like  (-4) x 3 = -12.  It didn't seem to be sinking in.  Based on friends' recommendations we stopped AOPS about 1/3 of the way through the book I think? and we did CTC Math Pre-algebra.  This they liked better, but I didn't like how there was no mathematical thinking/reasoning, no explaining WHY this is what you do.  But it did help them get faster and more proficient with basic equations!  Neither boy "loves math." They just do it 🙂

Now I'm looking for a good option for them for Algebra 1.

Boy #1: Age 13 - more emotional and prone to get frustrated with math, and take shortcuts if he can, but his ability is actually there.  He has liked more help in the past but has gotten more independent and capable as he gets older.  He is much more literary, well-rounded.

Boy #2: Age 11 - typically outperforms his older brother in math.  Is like a machine with math - just does the work, no drama.  He's really good at math! But he didn't like AOPS because it felt too slow, and honestly he doesn't like to have to work that long LOL. But I do think a part of it was me trying to teach it.  I love algebra but it wasn't scheduled and planned out enough for me.  Now he doesn't want to do AOPS again.  I'd like something challenging enough for him though, but without killing any interest he has in math. 

Where do we go from here? 

I used Foerster for my daughter who thrived on the incremental/conceptual aspects of Math Mammoth (similar to Singapore in approach), and I think it was a good fit.  She would have been overwhelmed by AoPS.  Math Without Borders has videos available to go with the Foerster book if you need instructional help (or want answers to the even problems--the odd answers are in the back), but on the rare occasion she needed more explanation than Foerster had in the book, I found a video on Khan or YouTube if I couldn't explain it well myself, and she found the odd problems provided plenty of practice.  The other benefit to Foerster that it sounds like you might appreciate is that it felt like the lessons were better balanced/scheduled than AoPS lessons: in Foerster you do one complete lesson per day (except on the long story-problem review sections), and it takes you more-or-less the same amount of time each day.

• Like 1

We enjoyed Math U See's Algebra text this year.  Much of it had already been covered in ds's previous program (Gattegno) but this was his first time writing every step out.  When he needed more with a topic we added the Algebra With Pizzazz book for some fun.

• Like 1

Have you looked at the Arbor School books?  They might be a good choice for the 11 year old.  There are 3, and they cover several Algebra concepts, but you would still want another full algebra program like Jacob's,  but at his age and interest level, I think it could be a fun choice.

I think the 13 year old may fit well into Saxon Algebra with an online video instructor like Nicole the Math Lady.  Its pretty basic, repetitive, and imo not as frustrating as other texts.  My kids do 20 problems from each set, as long as their test grades stay up.  For a kid who is easily frustrated,  I think its a good choice with variety in each lesson.

I found my biggest Algebra obstacle for my quick paced kids was a lack of writing out steps!  Drives me bananas 🍌  I will get a sheet with just answers and no work bx they "do it in their head" and yes, they can!  But it comes back to bite them as the steps pile up.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't recommend MUS alg for an advanced math student unless there is a plan to follow with another more challenging alg text.  I use MUS alg and geo for pre-alg and pre-geo.  MUS's problems are less complex and it does not include the quadratic equation, etc.  I follow MUS with Foerster and the combo has provided an excellent foundation. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you intend to do the teaching, I'd try Jacobs for the 13yo.  The problem sets are brilliant in that they use a gentle discovery method.  If he gets stuck, it's ok to give hints and help as necessary.

If you'd like your 11yo to fly on his own, I'd consider Derek Owens.  He can go as fast as he likes.

• Like 1

Singapore Dimensions 7 then 8

https://www.singaporemath.com/collections/dimensions-math-6-8

These are the teaching vids through 6.

https://www.singaporemath.com/collections/dimensions-video-subscription

SingaporemathLive has online classes for DM 7 and 8 plus a special class for high school just for kids who go through DM 7 & 8.

https://singaporemathlive.com/dimensions/

Edited by Green Bean