Menu

Graduation cash gift help, please

Vasha

Could you please offer me an opinion about how much cash you would give these people for high school graduation?

1. My sister's awesome boyfriend's daughter who we never see, have met like twice, lives a few hours away and we were given an invitation to her grad party.

2. My son's high school golf team competitor who has become a friend from playing against him all year and may or may not continue a friendship who lives an hour away and we also received an invitation to his party.

Thank for your advice and help!

My husband teaches math to classes of homeschoolers. He was invited to the graduation gatherings of a couple of his students, and we gave each a card with $20.00. I would also have been comfortable giving $10.00 or $15.00.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

A small gift card for the first - if anything. Honestly, for someone you’ve only met twice, a card alone would be fine. Inviting your dad’s girlfriend’s sister that isn’t a true friend seems like a gift grab. The second one - $20-25. Make sure ds has all of his contact info before he leaves the party. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vasha said:

Could you please offer me an opinion about how much cash you would give these people for high school graduation?

1. My sister's awesome boyfriend's daughter who we never see, have met like twice, lives a few hours away and we were given an invitation to her grad party.

2. My son's high school golf team competitor who has become a friend from playing against him all year and may or may not continue a friendship who lives an hour away and we also received an invitation to his party.

1. Is this a long-term and/or serious boyfriend? If so, I would send whatever amount I would send to a niece or nephew. Even if your sister hasn't taken on a motherly role with her, it would probably mean so much to the boyfriend, and it sounds like you really like him. 

2. If you're not going to the party, I wouldn't feel obligate to send anything at all, unless you have somewhat of a relationship with him. If it's limited to, "Hi, Ms. Vasha" at meets, I'd send nothing, the $20.22 check as suggested, or a $10 bill or gift card. My kids got some $10 bills for graduation, and even a few $5 bills, and they were nothing but happy to get it.  But, if I did go to the party, I'd probably give more, bc if I'm willing to drive two hours round-trip, I'm willing to go all in.  Or at least $40 worth of in. 

• Like 5

If YOU have no real connection to those kids then I'd max it out at some low number - no more than $25, and honestly, I wouldn't even go that far for "sister's boyfriend's kid you have only met twice" or "kid you see at meets who lives an hour away". A card and perhaps $5 or $10 seems more than enough for that sort of distant relationship. (Though, after reading the above reply, it does occur to me that if the boyfriend is quite a serious boyfriend you may want to up however much you give your de facto stepniece. Not because you have a relationship with her, sounds like you don't, but because you don't want to be rude to your sister's partner.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Vasha said:

A token amount after consulting with my bank account.

tbh - 1. - how likely is the "awesome boyfriend" likely to still be around in five years?