Menu

To kick off the summer…Fav lesser known children’s novels

• Red Dove changed the title to To kick off the summer…Fav lesser known children’s novels

The Miss Bianca series by Majorie Sharp, written back in the 1960s. Humorous, light and effortless writing, great vocabulary, wonderfully vivid characters. These are the books that Disney made into much harsher, frightening film versions (The Rescuers and The Rescuers Down Under) -- so do NOT be swayed by the Disney films, which are NOTHING like the lovely books:

The Rescuers
Miss Bianca
The Turret
Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines
Miss Bianca in the Orient

There are several additional titles written in the 1970s, but they were not as charming or well-written.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Some from my own childhood:

Behind The Attic Wall - a struggling girl moves in with her aunts (great-aunts?) and has a friendship with dolls in the attic.

Charlotte Sometimes- a girl at a boarding school goes to sleep and wakes up at the same school 40 years earlier. 

Daddy Long Legs - it's trite and predictable, but I loved the way it was written in letter form.  The movie didn't do justice to it. An orphan is sent to school by a mysterious benefactor that she has dubbed DLL, after seeing his shadow and the exaggerated length of his body.  She is required to write to this person to tell him how she's doing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Daddy Long Legs - it's trite and predictable, but I loved the way it was written in letter form.  The movie didn't do justice to it. An orphan is sent to school by a mysterious benefactor that she has dubbed DLL, after seeing his shadow and the exaggerated length of his body.  She is required to write to this person to tell him how she's doing.

The movie adaptation with Fred Astair and Leslie Caron is dreadful. Just dreadful.

One of the things I appreciated about the book is that the letters seemed to show the main character's maturing over the years of education.

• Like 2

Charlotte Sometimes is a great read.

Daddy Long Legs . . . the second book is just horrific. It's all about eugenics - literally. The main character gets massively into eugenics and changes the orphanage to kick out anyone with a disability. There's a long diatribe about the dangers of allowing them to breed. It's a brilliant historical document if you're wanting to look at how mainstream eugenics was, pre WW2. 

I actually find the plot in the first book a bit icky in terms of the power situation orphan/Father figure who fall in love. 

Here's a kids book few would have read - it's from a Kiwi (NZ) author, Gaelyn Gordon. It's the weirdest book ever but so good. Three kids have been brought up to believe they'll live till 500 or something, so at age 20, they're still 'little children'. The youngest escapes and finds out about the real world. It's so funny but also weird and heartwarming. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bookbard said:

Daddy Long Legs . . . the second book is just horrific. It's all about eugenics - literally. The main character gets massively into eugenics and changes the orphanage to kick out anyone with a disability. There's a long diatribe about the dangers of allowing them to breed. It's a brilliant historical document if you're wanting to look at how mainstream eugenics was, pre WW2.

Boy, I must have been reading with only half my brain, because I totally missed that. o_0 I think I still have it, so I'm going to go back and read it again.

I didn't think the first book was icky, but I see your point. I'll think about that next time I read it. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bookbard said:

Charlotte Sometimes is a great read.

I actually find the plot in the first book a bit icky in terms of the power situation orphan/Father figure who fall in love. 

Here's a kids book few would have read - it's from a Kiwi (NZ) author, Gaelyn Gordon. It's the weirdest book ever but so good. Three kids have been brought up to believe they'll live till 500 or something, so at age 20, they're still 'little children'. The youngest escapes and finds out about the real world. It's so funny but also weird and heartwarming. 

I can’t find the book by Gaelyn Gordon.  Do you remember the title?  The book sounds interesting.  

Some my kids liked:

Time Cat by Lloyd Alexander

Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorenson

The King of Ireland’s Son by Padraic Colum

Along Came a Dog by Meindert DeJong

Charlie’s Raven by Jean Craighead George

Straw into Gold by Gary D. Schmidt 

A String in the Harp by Nancy Bond

The Perilous Guard by Elizabeth Marie Pope

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 2