Menu

Househunting questions

Acorn

Would you consider a house with radon mitigation? 
I’ve heard that it is better to know and have a fan system installed than to buy a house presumed to be without radon. There is no time for radon testing before making offers.

I’m surprised by the variations in heating methods. Last two houses we toured had electric baseboards. In Ohio?? Seems expensive to me.

We’ve bought houses that found high radon in the inspection and required one to be put in. The systems work and radon levels are no longer dangerous. I’m under the impression that radon levels can be dangerous anywhere in the US, so a system to remove it is a good thing. 

• Like 2

In my region, you’re supposed to assume a probability of radon in a basement so, yes, it’d be good to already have a mitigation system!

I currently have baseboard electric in PA. It isn’t cheap… but neither is gas or oil sometimes… like now. 
HVAC systems aren’t typical in houses before around 2000-something here. 

Yep - our house had radon and part of our offer was that the sellers needed to put in a radon mitigation system before closing. It was a pretty straightforward thing and the radon levels tested fine after the system was installed.

• Like 1

You don't have to have radon testing done BEFORE making an offer. It should be a contingency in the offer and will be taken care of by the sellers during the period after they accept the offer and before the closing. If radon comes up high, you can either ask them to put in a mitigation system, or you can ask them to credit you the cost of putting it in yourself, if there is no time for them to take care of it before closing.

This is very typical as part of housing contracts in Ohio.

If you are planning to make a "no inspections" offer (which I would not recommend, but which I know was happening last year during the housing craze), then you can take care of radon testing and adding a mitigation system, if needed, after your purchase.

If a house already has a radon mitigation system, that is a GOOD thing, not something to worry about.

• Like 5