Menu

Privacy plants?

Brittany1116

We now have a need for additional privacy above the level of our 6 foot fence in one area of the yard. I'm thinking a row of bushes that have slim profile. Anyone have suggestions for plants/bushes that would grow 8-9' and not be terribly wide, prickly, or intolerant of Florida weather and soil (sand)?

Maybe Oleanders (assuming you have no small children or pets who might munch on the plants, that is.
I appreciate the fact they always have green leaves so they work all year and not just during the summer. 
Plus they require no work and grow and grow and grow. You will have to trim them probably once a year though. 

ETA: We are in TX, and they seem to grow in every soil type here. We had a week long freeze in 2021, and the bushes all died back to the snow line (very usual to have that much snow and cold for that long here). We just pruned them back. They were up to 3' by the end of the summer. 

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 1

Thank you for replies! I will look into these. Bamboo would be too invasive here (we have friends a few miles away fighting it for years), and our bougainvillea and crepe myrtles don't give quite the coverage or shape we are looking for. But the rest are things we need to investigate.  🙂

3 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

Thank you for replies! I will look into these. Bamboo would be too invasive here (we have friends a few miles away fighting it for years), and our bougainvillea and crepe myrtles don't give quite the coverage or shape we are looking for. But the rest are things we need to investigate.  🙂

A friend bought ?copper mesh baskets? for her bamboo.  She got very big bamboo stalks that stayed where it was planted.  Since it was out front, someone offered her money for the stalks.

Bamboo hates copper.

4 hours ago, Brittany1116 said:

There are 2 different kinds of bamboo. If you get the clumping bamboo, you should be ok.

3 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Pop a lattice on top of the fence and plant vines like passionflower

Be aware, though, that passionflower vine is pretty aggressive. I made the mistake of planting one plant 7 years ago and a different type of passionflower last year. I've been digging up about 30 starts each spring of the first type. The second type, a native, has already popped up 4 starts. I'm so tired of pulling those up. It's a beautiful flower and is a host plant for gulf fritillary butterfly, but it's not well behaved. Also, be aware here is south central Texas, it loses it's leaves each winter, so it might not work for what you're looking for.