Menu

Well-Trained Bodies: March

Jenny in Florida

I'm home again! Late flight last night, arriving home at 4am. The puppy was awesome on the flight - he slept the whole 4 hrs, I couldn't sleep at all. 

He's doing a great job getting to know the family - humans and otherwise.

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

Day 11 post-op: 5,134 steps

Another day of feeling strong. Doubled my most recent long walk (so, 4 blocks at once! Lol) and felt like I could have walked farther. I had a minor goal of hitting 5,000 steps by my 2 week post op appointment next week so I’m pretty excited to have already hit it twice. 

• Like 7

I did utterly nothing on Thursday (rest day but planned for yoga, walk, and some light outside work). I had 4 days of of hard workouts and sleep was hit or miss. I just felt worn out so I didn't do much besides lay around. 

Thursday night I slept pretty well so I had more hopes for yesterday. I got in a nice hard full body strength work but did something to tweak my lower back. It is just sore, doesn't seem to be anything major. Even today it is greatly diminished so I think some lighter days and it will be ok (and another sign I need a week break). I didn't go heavy on the weights and felt I kept good form but must have aggravated it somehow. 

Planning on doing some light cardio with dh today before he leaves on his business trip.

• Like 4

I spent yesterday just recovering from lack of sleep and watching puppy. His name is now officially Rocky and Chocy-Rocky, with the Champ tossed in by youngest ds. He was born within view of the Rocky Mountains, he's a chocolate brown colour, and he can scrap like a champ for what he wants. 

I'm feeling way better today. I've been outside shovelling snow in the front and backyard. The poodle is a complete wimp, and needs pathways created for him in the backyard or he pees on the deck. Rocky runs straight through the snow and doesn't care. It's so funny to watch the dog with the short legs running around in snow up to his eyeballs. 😅

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

My daughter called a couple of days ago to ask if she could come hang out with us for a couple of weeks. She's got her own medical stuff happening, and is having a difficult time at work, and just wants a break. So, I made a Target run last night to acquire enough stuff to make the "guest room" (AKA the completely empty bedroom recently vacated by our bonus young adult) functional. By the time I got home and had dragged all of my purchases into the house, all I could manage was a 15-minute walk with weights video (adapted to accommodate what my knee could handle). Then it was couch time with an ice bag, as has become my typical evening routine.

This morning, I barely made it 1K of walking outside, and I probably shouldn't have pushed it that far. After a coconut milk yogurt and a pain pill, I did 20 minutes of seated upper body work with my new favorite video series

I had hoped to do a little outdoor strolling today at a pop-up market featuring some funky vendors who specialize in vintage and quirky items; however, the weather is very stormy, so the market has been postponed. Activity for the rest of the day will likely be focused on setting up that guest room in preparation for my daughter's arrival this evening.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 503.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 378 Days

• Like 6

Sunlight streaming right now!

Sorry, that's a rare event here. And tomorrow is the time change, so it may be awhile before I have time to sit on the sofa with sunlight streaming in on me and my dog.

I did Adriene's most recent video this morning. I was a little hesitant because it's 38 minutes and I haven't done one that long in awhile, but it's the long ones that have the nice relaxing end on the floor which I love. And yes, this one ended on the floor with a blanket. ❤️

Welcome home, Rocky (and @wintermom), and hope you enjoy prepping your guest room and visiting with your daughter @Jenny in Florida. Happy weekend everyone!

• Like 6

My allergies are stressed out with the carpeting at my mom's house and sleeping with puppy by my head. I'm hoping that my inhaler and cetirizine will be enough to combat it all. Walking and shovelling in the backyard with puppy was way too taxing. Hopefully things will improve soon. 

ETA: I also bought an air filter. I've never needed one before, but I think it will help. At least I hope so!!

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

This is the weekend I get back on track.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Nothing to report right now other than good intentions.  It's been weeks since I did my short "yoga etc." routine in full.  Gonna start back into that.

I did play outside with the pup a couple times in the past week.  And did some indoor walking.  Not nearly enough, but better than nothing.

Also, I have been seeing my chiropractor weekly for the past 1.5 months.

Hope to have good reports for the rest of March.

• Like 8

22 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

Keeping it simple today with PT. I've been so breathless here, I've decided to just embrace the rest and then ramp it up when I get home.

Good idea! I did the same kind of thing when I was at my mom's. It was tiring enough just to do the stuff that needed doing - no extra time or energy to exercise. 😉 

• Like 5

Day 12 post-op:

6,146 steps.

My big accomplishment today was taking a mile long walk this morning. After  recovering with a 2 hour nap with the kitties, I went back out and walked another 6 blocks. I notice my gait is improving every day (initially I was a bit hunched because the ab muscles were so weak, but now I’m properly upright and no longer shuffling) and I’m getting faster. I’m not about to win any speed records, lol, but it all feels closer to normal every time I go out. I’m feeling really encouraged. 

• Like 6

And I finished my workout program. 

10 weeks-50 workouts

Innumerable squats, hip thrusts, pushups, burpees, presses, curls, lunges.

I'll check my weight and measurements tomorrow or Tuesday when I'm not so sore but I know I've grown my muscles. I feel tightness in my thighs and back in my clothes. My weight is higher than I prefer and seeing progress in pictures is painfully slow but trying to focus on the growth in strength, endurance and stamina.

Next week is break week- easy yoga, walking. I might take 2 weeks, depending on how I feel. I can tell I need a break desperately.

Putting up this pic temporarily- I'm horrible at flexing but you can see some hard won muscles

Edited by Soror
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, MEmama said:

Day 12 post-op:

6,146 steps.

My big accomplishment today was taking a mile long walk this morning. After  recovering with a 2 hour nap with the kitties, I went back out and walked another 6 blocks. I notice my gait is improving every day (initially I was a bit hunched because the ab muscles were so weak, but now I’m properly upright and no longer shuffling) and I’m getting faster. I’m not about to win any speed records, lol, but it all feels closer to normal every time I go out. I’m feeling really encouraged. 

I'm so impressed. You should feel encouraged. You aren't even 2 weeks out yet!!

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Completely mis-timed the day, so just got back from a 3 3/4 mile after supper walk around the lit pavements/ sidewalks of the village. Tomorrow I hope to work in the garden.

Sounds like you're getting back to normal. I hate it when I run out of time in the day.

18 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Keeping it simple today with PT. I've been so breathless here, I've decided to just embrace the rest and then ramp it up when I get home.

Great plan- you've had so much going on and too little sleep.

22 hours ago, wintermom said:

My allergies are stressed out with the carpeting at my mom's house and sleeping with puppy by my head. I'm hoping that my inhaler and cetirizine will be enough to combat it all. Walking and shovelling in the backyard with puppy was way too taxing. Hopefully things will improve soon. 

ETA: I also bought an air filter. I've never needed one before, but I think it will help. At least I hope so!!

Ugh--- allergies flaring with all the stress you've been under. I'm glad you got that adorable little puppy to boost your spirits. I had dh put in super good air filters in the fall (which is the worst time for me) and it seemed to help.

On 3/12/2022 at 8:32 AM, Jenny in Florida said:

My daughter called a couple of days ago to ask if she could come hang out with us for a couple of weeks. She's got her own medical stuff happening, and is having a difficult time at work, and just wants a break. So, I made a Target run last night to acquire enough stuff to make the "guest room" (AKA the completely empty bedroom recently vacated by our bonus young adult) functional. By the time I got home and had dragged all of my purchases into the house, all I could manage was a 15-minute walk with weights video (adapted to accommodate what my knee could handle). Then it was couch time with an ice bag, as has become my typical evening routine.

This morning, I barely made it 1K of walking outside, and I probably shouldn't have pushed it that far. After a coconut milk yogurt and a pain pill, I did 20 minutes of seated upper body work with my new favorite video series

I had hoped to do a little outdoor strolling today at a pop-up market featuring some funky vendors who specialize in vintage and quirky items; however, the weather is very stormy, so the market has been postponed. Activity for the rest of the day will likely be focused on setting up that guest room in preparation for my daughter's arrival this evening.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 503.3 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 378 Days

I hope you have a good visit with your daughter.

On 3/12/2022 at 9:18 AM, Ali in OR said:

Sunlight streaming right now!

Sorry, that's a rare event here. And tomorrow is the time change, so it may be awhile before I have time to sit on the sofa with sunlight streaming in on me and my dog.

I did Adriene's most recent video this morning. I was a little hesitant because it's 38 minutes and I haven't done one that long in awhile, but it's the long ones that have the nice relaxing end on the floor which I love. And yes, this one ended on the floor with a blanket. ❤️

Welcome home, Rocky (and @wintermom), and hope you enjoy prepping your guest room and visiting with your daughter @Jenny in Florida. Happy weekend everyone!

Sounds like a great day and workout. I love it when the sun is out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Last night ended up being a very late, long night. Our daughter's plane was delayed multiple times, and she didn't end up actually getting to the house until after 2:00am. Then we had to chat for a for, of course, so I wasn't in bed until 3:30. I ended up not being able to go to the airport with my husband to collect her, and I occupied myself with doing some cleaning and organizing in my office/craft room. The upside to that is that, even after sleeping later than usual and walking only 1.5K, I had almost 5000 steps before noon.

No additional exercise today. Sundays are my usual rest day, and between the late night and having a visitor in the house and having promised to run a carload of left-over items to my bonus YA's apartment this evening, the day is already full.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 506.6 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 379 Days

• Like 7

I walked to and from the community theatre to watch the pre-view performance of the play my youngest ds is acting in. He did a great job! It's one of the biggest roles he's had, and he did a great job. 

Puppy continues to do well with potty training (mostly the humans remembering to let him outside frequently) and chewing mostly his toys. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Last night ended up being a very late, long night. Our daughter's plane was delayed multiple times, and she didn't end up actually getting to the house until after 2:00am. Then we had to chat for a for, of course, so I wasn't in bed until 3:30. I ended up not being able to go to the airport with my husband to collect her, and I occupied myself with doing some cleaning and organizing in my office/craft room. The upside to that is that, even after sleeping later than usual and walking only 1.5K, I had almost 5000 steps before noon.

No additional exercise today. Sundays are my usual rest day, and between the late night and having a visitor in the house and having promised to run a carload of left-over items to my bonus YA's apartment this evening, the day is already full.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 506.6 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 379 Days

@Jenny in Florida, I am ever impressed with how intentional you are about honoring your body's needs and current limitations. I can hear your frustration but I can also feel your strength and resilience. Your positive attitude shines through in your posts, even during this rough time. It’s an inspiration! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Day 13 post op:

~3100 steps 

I intentionally took a day of rest yesterday. Went for one short (6 block) walk and could barely stay awake to eat my lunch before taking a long nap. It’s ridiculous to be so full of energy but then crash out suddenly. 

I woke up this morning feeling like I could burst with energy, so we'll see what the day brings.

• Like 5

Happy Time Change!

Did Cardio Bootcamp Boogie this morning--stayed off the treadmill so dh could stay sleeping a ittle longer. Weight is down about 2 pounds since the beginning of March. Lowest weight of 2022. This is the pound range I would prefer to be my set weight but making that permanent has been elusive. Monday also tends to be a lower weight after a good weekend--it will creep up during the week.

• Like 6

I'm firmly in the "sandwich" position of supporting my mom and my kids through their mental and physical health. It's getting a little exhausting, but hopefully this will even out soon. The dogs are helping to "ground" me in the mindfulness moment. Potty training a puppy will do that for you! 😅 

I can't go into details, but please extend some thoughts and/or prayers to my dd, who's in the local hospital now. I really hope she can come home soon. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I'm firmly in the "sandwich" position of supporting my mom and my kids through their mental and physical health. It's getting a little exhausting, but hopefully this will even out soon. The dogs are helping to "ground" me in the mindfulness moment. Potty training a puppy will do that for you! 😅 

I can't go into details, but please extend some thoughts and/or prayers to my dd, who's in the local hospital now. I really hope she can come home soon. 

Sending you and your family hugs and strength! ❤️

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Soror said:

And I finished my workout program. 

10 weeks-50 workouts

Innumerable squats, hip thrusts, pushups, burpees, presses, curls, lunges.

I'll check my weight and measurements tomorrow or Tuesday when I'm not so sore but I know I've grown my muscles. I feel tightness in my thighs and back in my clothes. My weight is higher than I prefer and seeing progress in pictures is painfully slow but trying to focus on the growth in strength, endurance and stamina.

Next week is break week- easy yoga, walking. I might take 2 weeks, depending on how I feel. I can tell I need a break desperately.

Putting up this pic temporarily- I'm horrible at flexing but you can see some hard won muscles

IMG_20220313_102424477.thumb.jpg.44b134fb833e33a5f9388c64c8e7c56c.jpg

@Soror DAAAAAAAMMMMNNNNN! 🙂 

• Like 3

@wintermom I'm sorry your daughter is having a rough time. I hope she is recovering at home ASAP. (And, as a former theatre mom, I'm insatiably curious to know what show your kiddo is doing and what role he is playing!)

@MEmama Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. And, my goodness, the amount of activity you're doing so soon after major surgery? That's an inspiration!

I managed a little bit more walking this morning, almost 2K, followed by 20 minutes of seated upper body exercise. I've more or less decided that will be the morning routine for the rest of this week, until I see the orthopedist and get some guidance about what to do with this knee.

I have a hair appointment this evening, so assuming my knee is feeling cooperative, the plan is to park at the far end of the street and walk to and from the salon (with a stop at the olive oil/fancy vinegar store for a bottle of fruit-infused balsamic). That will likely be it for today.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 508.4 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 380 Days

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@wintermom I'm sorry your daughter is having a rough time. I hope she is recovering at home ASAP. (And, as a former theatre mom, I'm insatiably curious to know what show your kiddo is doing and what role he is playing!)

@MEmama Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement. And, my goodness, the amount of activity you're doing so soon after major surgery? That's an inspiration!

I managed a little bit more walking this morning, almost 2K, followed by 20 minutes of seated upper body exercise. I've more or less decided that will be the morning routine for the rest of this week, until I see the orthopedist and get some guidance about what to do with this knee.

I have a hair appointment this evening, so assuming my knee is feeling cooperative, the plan is to park at the far end of the street and walk to and from the salon (with a stop at the olive oil/fancy vinegar store for a bottle of fruit-infused balsamic). That will likely be it for today.

Thanks, Jenny. The play is Canadian and called "Opening Night," written by Norm Foster. My ds is playing Tom, an aspiring actor currently working as the theatre waiter. It's a comedy, and quite funny thankfully. I don't need more drama in my life - real or imagined. 😉 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

Sending all possible good wishes to the whole family. 

• Like 2

Didn't wake until my alarm this morning. which is about 15 min later than usual. Had trouble falling asleep too. Stupid time change. I just did a 20 min full body flow yoga this morning--no bodyweight circuit. And now a fully-charged mocha (w/ Starbucks Via--stronger than my espresso powder version).

• Like 6

My dd is back home again and doing well!! Crisis over, thank goodness. Many thanks for everyone's thoughts, prayers and support. Man, being a parent and a child is hard work sometimes. 

I went for a nice long walk with a friend yesterday evening. Today is sunny and warming up. I'm back to work today, and have to refresh myself on what I'm supposed to be doing. 😄

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, wintermom said:

My dd is back home again and doing well!! Crisis over, thank goodness. Many thanks for everyone's thoughts, prayers and support. Man, being a parent and a child is hard work sometimes. 

I went for a nice long walk with a friend yesterday evening. Today is sunny and warming up. I'm back to work today, and have to refresh myself on what I'm supposed to be doing. 😄

I'm glad to hear about your daughter and also that you saw a friend. It can be so hard to carve out that time sometimes. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, wintermom said:

Good news! I hope she is doing well and you get a much deserved break.

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

Not as much walking to and from the salon as I had hoped/planned last night, both because I ended up leaving the house a little later and because the store I had planned to visit before my appointment closed a lot earlier than I assumed. I did log another 1.5K-ish, though, which closed out the Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge at 509.2 of 500K.

Today starts the next season. I waffled on setting a goal, but finally decided on 200K, which will require only 2-2.5K per day. That is definitely achievable, even in my current reduced capacity. And if it turns out I heal quickly and can ramp up, I can always adjust the goal upward. Starting high and having the adjust downward would feel depressing, though.

Got about 1.3K this morning, followed by a 20-minunte seated workout with dumbbells. 

Spring Start 2022 Challenge: 1.3 of 200K
Daily Walking Streak: 381 Days

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 5

32 minutes ago, wintermom said:

I didn't post (was out of pocket) but was thinking of your family. I am glad to hear she is back home. Being a parent is hard, wonderful you got some time with a friend during this difficult time.

33 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Didn't wake until my alarm this morning. which is about 15 min later than usual. Had trouble falling asleep too. Stupid time change. I just did a 20 min full body flow yoga this morning--no bodyweight circuit. And now a fully-charged mocha (w/ Starbucks Via--stronger than my espresso powder version).

AMEN stupid time change!!! LOL on the mocha, probably needed today

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Pj sun salutations.  Then a good walk at lunchtime - some of the local fields are empty of livestock at present,  so I  went for an explore. I pushed the yoga this evening,  which felt good.

It feels so good to have energy after recovering, glad to hear you are doing so much better.

22 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Wonderful plan for your adjusting your goals! I feel the same way I'd rather overshoot a goal than have to adjust it down.

22 hours ago, MEmama said:

@Soror DAAAAAAAMMMMNNNNN! 🙂 

On 3/13/2022 at 2:22 PM, Laura Corin said:

Looking good @Soror!

Today I did a short-ish walk but with some good hills. I remembered my sun salutations too. This afternoon I did a fair bit of gentle gardening - pruning, transplanting snowdrops,  and starting the first weeding of the year. My seedlings are also coming on well.

On 3/13/2022 at 1:11 PM, crazyforlatin said:

@Sororfinally can put a back to your name lol. That looks really impressive. I’m aiming for your type of workout eventually. I was doing Chloe Ting’s workout back in 2020 and it had plenty of everything you mentioned. 

On 3/13/2022 at 12:54 PM, Harriet Vane said:

Impressive! You go, girl!!!

Thank you ladies for your kind and encouraging words. It is nice to have a community of supportive women!

@crazyforlatinfwiw if you decide to try out Caroline's workouts I'd recommend starting with the Advent series- it is 24 workouts- about 20-25 minutes and a great introduction.

• Like 4

We had a college tour yesterday- 5 hrs of driving. I had to get up at 5 (4 old time) didn't go to sleep until after 11. Got home around 5 exhuasted. Got a good amount of walking around campus but that's it. Slept ok last night but not enough- dd wanted to have a big talk right at bedtime so another late night but woke up early (5:30 Why!!!). 

easy yoga and walking today- still exhausted so I think I'll be lucky to get that

• Like 6

Weights and core this morning as well as PT.

I have to face that scary drive over the high mountain pass tomorrow. I watched some Youtube videos of others driving it so at least I know what to expect, and ds will be with me which helps. I am cursing because, although tomorrow looks to be bright and sunny, Thursday more snow is expected. 🤬 So I will either try to beat the snow by driving out before, or more likely I will stay an additional day with my friend and try to drive back on Friday. Depending on conditions, that either means over the mountain if the road is cleared enough or taking a circuitous and much longer route around, which isn't likely to be all that much better. Even though it's less steep, it's still mountain driving. I'm pretty anxious about it, as you can probably tell.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

I have to face that scary drive over the high mountain pass tomorrow. I watched some Youtube videos of others driving it so at least I know what to expect, and ds will be with me which helps. I am cursing because, although tomorrow looks to be bright and sunny, Thursday more snow is expected. 🤬 So I will either try to beat the snow by driving out before, or more likely I will stay an additional day with my friend and try to drive back on Friday. Depending on conditions, that either means over the mountain if the road is cleared enough or taking a circuitous and much longer route around, which isn't likely to be all that much better. Even though it's less steep, it's still mountain driving. I'm pretty anxious about it, as you can probably tell.

Hope your mountain drive goes really well. It can be so scary to tackle those mountain passes in the winter. Good luck!! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Best wishes for the drive. I'm glad you will have company on the first stretch.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Good luck on the drive, that sounds terrifying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Another rest day- easy walking, light yoga. I walked about 45 minutes yesterday- s.l.o.w.l.y. I got in a little nap but it wasn't enough. I was happy I actually made it out.

Maybe some work outside. I have hardly got anything done on my break between fatigue and being out of town/running errands. The weather will be nice today and I finally got some sleep so hoping to work on garden beds.

• Like 6

I'm rocking the exercise these days:

Chasing puppy around the backyard - checked off as both intense interval AND aerobic work

Cleaning up puppy droppings - stretching

Carrying a fast growing puppy - weight training ** also sustained first repetitive motion injury to my wrist

Avoiding puppy eating my feet - dance training

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2