Menu

Well-Trained Bodies: March

Jenny in Florida

(Apologies if someone else already started the thread for the new month. I searched but didn't find one.)

New month, new chance to get moving or keep moving!

(I'm copying my post from the other thread here to get us going.)

I keep thinking the knee is on the mend, but I realized yesterday that I'm now a week into this and it is still significantly affecting my daily movement. So I am off to the doctor later this morning.

Meantime, I walked a bit last night just enough to bump my step count over 10,000, then elevated and iced my knee again for the rest of the evening.

Walked (hobbled) about 3K around the neighborhood this morning, then did a 20-minute very gentle chair yoga video and some extra stretching for my legs.

Assuming the doctor doesn't forbid it, I'll walk some more later, and that'll be the extent of the day's excitement.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 478.2 of 500K

• Like 6

In March I'm finishing Epic Endgame - free 5 day a week program on YouTube  (4 days strength training/1 day HIIT per week). 

March 1-13- Last 2 weeks of Endgame

March 14-20- Deload week- light workout week/yoga/walking/light cardio

March 21-31- Start back to 4 days strength/1 day HIIT; probably go back to Caroline's Epic 1 or 3 - I've done part of both (if she puts out something new I'll do that instead)

Walking more now that we have nicer temps and more sun. Plenty of work around the yard and house.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 6

Today- glutes and hamstrings. I took it pretty easy- my allergies are flaring from working outside with the wet leaves and I'm on my period. Yesterday was a great upper body session. 

This afternoon I'm walking at the park with a friend (ya!).

• Like 5

Well, the doctor was not encouraging. I came home with a prescription for an anti-inflammatory, an order for an MRI, a preliminary diagnosis of a sprain or tear in either the medial collateral ligament or the meniscus, a lecture about overdoing things . . . and instructions to assume I will not be participating in the two WDW events I have on my schedule for the end of the month.

I hate this.

• Sad 6

Ok, so March goals.

Lent begins today. I am giving up sweets as I usually do--mochas excepted. I'm not fasting or starving myself, but I'm aiming to not use food for escape or reward. Trying to eat healthy, maybe a little less, just good-for-me basic nutrition.

Exercise will continue as usual.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

Sooooo short on sleep, but the weather is gorgeous. Plan is to take a nap and then a walk.

How was the nap and walk?

15 hours ago, MEmama said:

I walked down the stairs in the hospital. Plus various trips to the washroom. #feeling accomplished lol 

Ya!!! When do you think you'll get to go home.

16 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Well, the doctor was not encouraging. I came home with a prescription for an anti-inflammatory, an order for an MRI, a preliminary diagnosis of a sprain or tear in either the medial collateral ligament or the meniscus, a lecture about overdoing things . . . and instructions to assume I will not be participating in the two WDW events I have on my schedule for the end of the month.

I hate this.

I'm sorry. Injuries suck. I always whine how unfair it is for injuries to strike people that are being active. I hope it is the type of injury that will get better with some rest and you don't need anything more.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got in a lovely walk with my friend yesterday and went to the creek with the girls. The weather was just gorgeous.

Food was meh. High hormone time and I wanted to eat everything, although I tried really hard not to, was trying to fast (for Ash Wednesday) but failed. Sigh. 

Today is a rest day and my body is feeling sore and tired. I'm aiming for light yoga and a walk.

• Like 5

@Soror Thanks for asking. The nap was good, but I was so groggy when I got up. I got distracted by other things and ended up just doing PT stuff later when I realized I had not gone out as planned.

Today I will do my usual weights and core and I am hoping for a cool-down walk right after.

ETA: Did it. 😊

Edited by Harriet Vane
  • Like 5

Only just barely scraped up 10,000 steps yesterday, literally logged those last 100 or so taking the dog outside before bed. I tried an evening walk, but the knee was not cooperating, and I gave up.

Started this morning with a very slow 2.5K around the neighborhood, followed by about 15 minutes of almost entirely upper body strength and stretching. 

I have imaging scheduled for the knee early next week, after which the doctor will decide whether I need to see an orthopedist. I'm just focusing on not making things worse until then.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 481.8 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 369 Days

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Soror said:

Ya!!! When do you think you'll get to go home.

I got to go home yesterday! I am being treated like a Queen. 🙂 

Yesterday I had to battle more nausea after taking Tylenol/ paracetamol but thankfully DH had already picked up some anti nausea med for me so it didn’t last too long. The nausea has been far and away the worst; I’m literally in no pain at all, just the expected bloated belly from the trauma. I’ve reduced my meds to a single 200mg amount of Motrin every 6 hours; tomorrow I might replace the mid day dose with CBD. 

Overall I feel really great (when not nauseous). Taking a shower this morning kind of wiped me out, but otherwise I’m eating well and have met all the bathroom goals (sorry tmi— having a BM is the worst part for lots of people but I’ve had no issues at all). I’m making certain all my food is working for me— lots of fiber and protein, No added sugars or empty fillers. The hospital had amazing food—so clean and healthy. I’m glad I felt well enough part of my time there to enjoy it. Lol

144 steps so far this morning! 🙂 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Jenny in Florida said:

@MEmama - Yay! I'm so happy you're healing so well and so quickly and that your family is taking such good care of you.

Thank you! 
The kitties are excellent doctors; they’ve been working (ie snuggling me) in shifts. 😻

D0A9C083-017E-410D-8A91-C7D147F747A2.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 days post-op: 780 steps. I’m pretty much done for the night now.

I felt terrific this afternoon so in addition to walking laps around the house, I went outside and walked to both ends of the block. It was a gorgeous blue sky day lighting up the freshly fallen snow. 

• Like 6

More weird weather pressure is messing with my sinuses. I had brain fog all morning and a sinus head-ache, so Mom and did a rapid Covid test just in case. Both negative! I can't imagine the stress if either one of us actually tested positive. Anyhow, we don't have to face that right now. 

I got out for a nice walk on the lake. Some people are pulling their trailers off the lake in anticipation of the spring thaw. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, MEmama said:

3 days post-op: 780 steps. I’m pretty much done for the night now.

I felt terrific this afternoon so in addition to walking laps around the house, I went outside and walked to both ends of the block. It was a gorgeous blue sky day lighting up the freshly fallen snow. 

Woo, hoo! Glad to hear you are feeling so well so soon after surgery. May you continue to progress as well.

21 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

@Soror Thanks for asking. The nap was good, but I was so groggy when I got up. I got distracted by other things and ended up just doing PT stuff later when I realized I had not gone out as planned.

Today I will do my usual weights and core and I am hoping for a cool-down walk right after.

ETA: Did it. 😊

Oh, I hate it when I end up feeling more tired after a nap. Great job getting things done today.

11 hours ago, wintermom said:

More weird weather pressure is messing with my sinuses. I had brain fog all morning and a sinus head-ache, so Mom and did a rapid Covid test just in case. Both negative! I can't imagine the stress if either one of us actually tested positive. Anyhow, we don't have to face that right now. 

I got out for a nice walk on the lake. Some people are pulling their trailers off the lake in anticipation of the spring thaw. 

ugh, sorry, this time of year can wreck havoc on the sinus and the allergies with all the weather changes and pollen starting.

• Like 4

I did not feel the need to eat everything yesterday, ya! I did get in a short walk and my yoga. I also did some light yard work and cleaned my car. It is always exciting to prep things for spring. I'm glad to have some energy to be tackling some things.

Today: full body strength/am walk 

I've got to be consistent with more stretching after my strength workouts. I have about 3-5 minutes but need to make that a solid 10. I'm feeling tight- part is soreness but mostly because I'm not stretching enough.

I'll probably do some inside work today. I have some I've been putting off because of the nice weather.

Last I checked I'd dropped 1.5 pounds, of the 5 lbs I was working on losing. This trying to lose fat and gain muscle is weird/hard. I have some shirts I've not worn in a while and when I've tried them on recently I noticed they are tighter around my lats. I wish I would have measured there. My shorts and pants are tighter in my legs (and some in my butt). It doesn't look like I've put on fat in those places. I think I see more muscle there- I've sure been working hard to gain muscles. But am I just wishful thinking IDK. I'll be curious to do a new progress pics in a few weeks to see if I can notice a difference. Although I've lifted for ages I've never grown much muscles and certainly never had to size up in clothes for it. But I've never worked as hard, effectively, or consistently as I have with Carolyn.

• Like 5

Yesterday will not go down in history as a good day for exercise for me. I had appointments and commitments outside the house all afternoon and into the evening. By the time I was done at my friend's poetry reading, my knee was hurting and the brace was uncomfortable and I was tired and just desperate to get home and into pajamas and on the couch. So, I ended the day with under 9,000 steps and no exercise beyond what I had managed that morning.

Still sore today and moving very slowly. I managed to limp about 1.5K around the neighborhood and then did 30 minutes of very gentle chair yoga. 

I will be honest and admit that the doctor scared me a bit by telling me that overdoing things might mean I end up needing surgery. So I'm trying to be careful, but I also feel at a loss not knowing what is "safe" and what constitutes "too much." I'm looking forward to hearing what the doctor has to say after the MRI on Monday so I can figure out what I can do.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 483.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 370 Days

• Like 4

@Jenny in Florida Hope you get good news about your knee. Sorry you're going through this. 

Mom and I are going out to see the puppy again this afternoon. The breeder is keeping him at her place for a little longer. I'll take him home with me next week, and while mom is excited to have a puppy at her house she's also foreseeing bonding to him. She'll miss both of us when we leave. I'll share more puppy photos later. 😀

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Jenny in Florida said:

I will be honest and admit that the doctor scared me a bit by telling me that overdoing things might mean I end up needing surgery. So I'm trying to be careful, but I also feel at a loss not knowing what is "safe" and what constitutes "too much." I'm looking forward to hearing what the doctor has to say after the MRI on Monday so I can figure out what I can do.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 483.0 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 370 Days

Can you try to substitute other activities at the times when you usually walk? Listening to a favourite  podcast on headphones outside? Driving to a park to sit with a flask of coffee? I'm much better at substitution than I am at giving up.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Can you try to substitute other activities at the times when you usually walk? Listening to a favourite  podcast on headphones outside? Driving to a park to sit with a flask of coffee? I'm much better at substitution than I am at giving up.

I've been trying to think of some things to do, but so far am drawing blanks. 

I don't really have an "outside" that is nice for sitting. We are in the process of having a screened patio built, but it will be a while before it is done. And I'm not great at "sitting" as an activity. I do so much sitting as part of my job that I really feel the need to do something physical when taking breaks. 

There are really only so many chair yoga videos a person wants to do every week.

I also had the revelation this morning while responding to the breast cancer diagnosis thread that part of why the walking/activity thing has become so important to me is that it is a way to take back some control of my body that I lost during treatment. And planning for/preparing for/completing organized events like 5Ks really feeds my need to set and meet goals.

One of the unfortunate casualties of my depression over the last couple of years is that some of the things I've enjoyed doing for much/most of my adult life no longer speak to me. For example, I've always been big into crafts of various kinds, but I have lost enthusiasm for those kinds of projects. And I have a lot of trouble, emotionally, listening to any music with lyrics, meaning singing is a problem. I do listen to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks . . . but mostly while I'm walking. 

So, I'm trying not to panic, but walking just checks off so many boxes for me in terms of both physical and mental health needs that it's actually scary thinking I won't be able to do it for some period of time. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I gained 12 pounds since March 2020, but maybe I was a bit underweight to begin. I don't like the extra weight as it's usually the tummy and upper legs, which has meant I’ve had to go up one size and then another size in pants. 

Starting this week, so basically March 1, I’ve been running 1.5 to 2 miles every other day. I'm going to reduce sugar and carbs, hopefully. Go back to eating arugula salad rather than stir frying veggies in oil. And do more weight training using this app called transform app. I've actually been running more since November, but the weight has steadily climbed. 

I’m also wondering if women just gain weight before menopause. I'm 49, so it’s getting close.

Every morning I walk the dog for about 1 to 1.5 miles.

• Like 5

4 days post-op (full abdominal hysterectomy, everything but the ovaries)

Steps: 1,432 and I’m not quite done yet. I took two walks outside, up and down the block. The second one was farther than the first. I’ll do a few more laps of the house after dinner.

I feel so energetic, it’s crazy. For the past year or more I’ve needed to take a daily nap because I’ve been so exhausted—lately I’ve been needing a nap by noon. But the past two days that I’ve been home I can’t even force myself to take one! I'm baffled. Was my body really working that hard?!

I'm nearly off pain meds too. I just don’t need them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@MEmama Sounds like you are having a wonderful recovery! That's great to hear.

Mom and I went out to visit the puppies again today. I'll be getting Neo/Little Joe next Monday. For now he still have 2 play mates to scamper around with. Neo is the standing pup. The breeder also has guardian dogs for her sheep and cattle. They are gorgeous. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

I gained 12 pounds since March 2020, but maybe I was a bit underweight to begin. I don't like the extra weight as it's usually the tummy and upper legs, which has meant I’ve had to go up one size and then another size in pants. 

Starting this week, so basically March 1, I’ve been running 1.5 to 2 miles every other day. I'm going to reduce sugar and carbs, hopefully. Go back to eating arugula salad rather than stir frying veggies in oil. And do more weight training using this app called transform app. I've actually been running more since November, but the weight has steadily climbed. 

I’m also wondering if women just gain weight before menopause. I'm 49, so it’s getting close.

Me too. Anyone have any ideas, advice or real life stories?

• Like 3

Welcome @crazyforlatin.

@Vasha I can't remember when it became easier to put on weight - blame menopause brain fog. I'm now 7 years past my last period and I watch my weight carefully. Eating mostly whole unprocessed foods seems to be the key to satiety for me.

@MEmama it's lovely to hear how well you are recovering. 

@wintermom I love how you have found your winter playmate! How will you take him home? You went to your mum's place by plane,  didn't you?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, MEmama said:

4 days post-op (full abdominal hysterectomy, everything but the ovaries)

Steps: 1,432 and I’m not quite done yet. I took two walks outside, up and down the block. The second one was farther than the first. I’ll do a few more laps of the house after dinner.

I feel so energetic, it’s crazy. For the past year or more I’ve needed to take a daily nap because I’ve been so exhausted—lately I’ve been needing a nap by noon. But the past two days that I’ve been home I can’t even force myself to take one! I'm baffled. Was my body really working that hard?!

I'm nearly off pain meds too. I just don’t need them. 

Sounds like you are having a great recovery, that is wonderful.

15 hours ago, crazyforlatin said:

11 hours ago, Vasha said:

Welcome!!!

My hormones started going wonky here and there after my last baby so I started reading about peri and joined online groups. The hormonal changes definitely affect metabolism and weight gain for many(most) women. Heck, my cat packed on pounds when she was spayed without a change in diet.

In the past, I've easily gained weight anytime I have a hormonal fluctuation so I'm expecting it. I've been trying to keep my weight on the lower end of the range I prefer and building muscle mass. 

Edited by Soror
  • Like 4

Did not manage a walk yesterday. The morning got away from me and then things came up. I did stretch at least 20 minutes after my lifting.

But I'm meeting a friend for a walk this morning. Rest day from weight training. I'm aiming to get in some stretching.

• Like 5

I did one of my favorite yoga sessions today, Adriene's Root to Rise. It's not like I remember much of what's in it each time I go to it, I just remember the name and think, "Oh yeah, that one's a good fit for me." A few planks, some downward dogs, forward folds, tree pose at the end--just a nice mix of the stuff that I can do and it feels like a workout, not just a stretch session.

RE: weight gain. There has been a definite slowing of the metabolism in my late 40's/50's. I just don't need as many calories. I remember in my early forties I spent a year really working on losing weight (goal of 15 pounds and I managed 13). I was able to maintain that lower weight for at least 5 years without much effort. And now my set weight with similar eating and exercise habits is almost 10 pounds higher. I am not quite in menopause yet--I really hope it doesn't go higher after that! I'm hoping it's more age related than official hormone status related!

• Like 4

Decided against even attempting an outdoor walk last night. I chose a short, gentle walking workout video and stepped along, substituting movements I could do without pain wherever necessary. I managed the equivalent of about 1K of steps. Then I found a seated upper body workout video and attempted that. 

The weather here today is so gorgeous that I couldn't stand the idea of not going out. I walked a very slow 2K, then came home and spent about 20 minutes with my weights (arms only) and gently stretching my legs.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 486.1 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 371 Days

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

@wintermom I love how you have found your winter playmate! How will you take him home? You went to your mum's place by plane,  didn't you?

Yes, I flew here. I'll be taking puppy on the plane in a soft sided carrier as a carry-on pet. 😃 I'm so fortunate that he's small enough to fit inside the regulation carrier! I got such a great deal on this flight that he actually costs $7 more than I do to fly. I have diapers for him to wear, and a few toys to keep him settled (I hope). 

It looks the sun is shining, so I'll be out there walking very soon. I'll probably avoid the lake as the snowmobile action is high on weekends. 

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Vasha said:

I’m also 49. I’ve slowly been putting on weight for a couple years but…my entire lifestyle changed for the worse due to Covid AND I have apparently been growing ginormous fibroids in the time period as well, so it’s hard to say which factor has played the biggest role. 

I will say I feel lighter since my surgery; I’m sure I lost several pounds (I’m sending DH out for a new scale battery today to confirm). I texted a selfie from the hospital to my parents and my mom immediately noticed my face is less puffy—I must have had a lot of water weight or something in addition to the fibroid/massive uterus weight and general pounds I’ve put on from stress and inactivity. 

I do know I’m eager to use this opportunity to concentrate on regaining my fitness and cleaning up the messy corners of my diet. Strength training seems to be an essential piece of the long term health puzzle at this age, and I’m looking forward to doing yoga and/or Pilates again for flexibility and balance. Until I’m cleared for exercise *and* my body is ready I’ll stick to light walking during recovery, but I’m excited to ramp it back when I’m able. 

I have not enjoyed the middle age body looking back at me in the mirror lately and am determined to get back to my normal happy place. 🙂 

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 6

After spending most of the afternoon and evening with my behind planted on the couch, my knee felt kind of okay. So, as my husband put it, I decided to go out for a walk and make it hurt again. (No, that was not the goal. I just really needed to move and be outside.) Made my way very slowly around the neighborhood for about 1.5K before going home and settling back on the couch. 

Sigh.

Again this morning, made it a little less than 2K, verrrrrrrry slooooowly. (I did see some pretty trees blooming, however.)

I've done some chores around the house, which has brought my step total to about 7,000. Definitely sore now, though, and planning to do some sitting stuff for a while.

Winter Warmup 2022 Challenge: 489.5 of 500K
Daily Walking Streak: 372 Days

IMG_20220306_083352154_HDR.jpg

• Like 6

@Jenny in Florida Beautiful photo! Thanks for sharing. I'm going to side with your dh and suggest you do things that do NOT make your knee hurt. 😉 

It's sunny and mild outside again today. I went for a lovely walk along the lake. It was quiet out there - mostly just people ice fishing rather than snowmobiling. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 5

Lots of exercise this am for me.

40 min with warm-up and cool down- 30 min of  HIIT - EMOM - every minute on the minute- the toughest HIIT- I had to pause it once(nearly to the point of throwing up) and modified here and there but I did it!

Then I had a 40ish minute break and 

20 min cardio- LISS- low impact steady state- DH, yes dh, has started doing a bit of working out. He knows right now he is not in good enough shape to keep up with the activity of vaca. He started doing Caroline's videos unbeknownst to me. Today I went through and picked the shortest and easiest cardio she had to do with him. He had to stop 2 times and modified a fair bit but made it through. I gave him suggestions for ways to modify it and helped keep his pace slower-- he'd try to go faster but then gas himself. Maybe we'll get some activity time together each week.

followed by-- 20ish minutes of strength training legs-- the rest of a workout I'd not finished a couple of weeks ago when feeling icky- I'm now all caught up for the final week of Endgame

I then took the girls to the woods and did a little bit of walking around looking for flowers.

I'm thinking I'm going to be sore! My first workout of the day had 100 squat jumps as a finisher and then my last one 100 squat+ lunges. Not to mention various other squats and lunges in the workouts. But tomorrow is upper body day though and I'm going to stretch more tonight.

• Like 6