Menu

My sister in Houston has Covid.

Scarlett

She was due for her booster this week.  Early last week her husband had a sore throat and took a home test.    Negative.  He missed a day or two of work because it was a bad sore throat.  Then about Wednesday my sister got it.  Negative on home test. Yesterday her throat was so bad she was sure it was strep so she went to urgent care.  Negative on strep positive on Covid.  She says the sore throat was her only symptom…well less than 100 temp….but anyway she is much better this morning which is day 5.  

So if I am symptomatic or directly exposed I won’t be trusting those home tests if they are negative. I know many many people lately who have had that sore throat who had a negative home test. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

There have been news items recommending a throat swab for better detection of omicron variant. I’ve not done a home test so I don’t know if it’s possible (they look like pregnancy test stick from pictures I’ve seen). Anyway just mentioning that it seems common this variant “likes” the throat?

I hope your dsis feels better soon and that no further complications develop for either her or her dh. 

• Like 1

Dd, vaxxed and at college, had a bad sore throat a couple of weeks ago.  She also had a negative test. Fortunately, the health services had her self-isolate bc Covid is spreading through her school and we are pretty sure that’s what she had since other pretty close contacts of hers tested positive with sore throats. 

So, yes, it does seem that Omicron does not show up constantly on rapid tests. She was on day three of symptoms.  She was about ten days post booster, too, which makes me wonder if viral load plays a part. She is completely fine now. 

The home tests work better a few days into symptoms for a sizable portion of the population.  Yes, you are able use them differently than the manufacturer directs (throat swab), but that also opens the doors to false positives, because the reagent may pick up and react to other things, per the FDA. 

For me, the common sense middle ground is if I am symptomatic and known I've been exposed, I'm going to use it off-label and throat swab, too.  

If I'm doing a rapid test before an event, just as a precaution while I'm asymptomatic, I'm going to use it as directed. 

• Like 3

We had this in November. I was certain my daughter had strep because it was such a bad sore throat. Took her to the pediatrician: negative for both strep and Covid (PCR). Same with my son who got it after her (I was no longer concerned for strep with him but we wanted his lungs checked out as he always has issues with them). He was negative for everything too.

It was a nasty virus: bad sore throat, eventual congestion, dizziness, low fever, cough. I’ve since wondered if it was actually Covid but we did have negative PCR tests…we didn’t have any home tests so I couldn’t try those.

I also got sick but I had absolutely no sore throat, fever, or dizziness-just a runny nose for a day or two. All of us are vaccinated—at that point we had not had boosters.

1 hour ago, Scarlett said:

She was due for her booster this week.  Early last week her husband had a sore throat and took a home test.    Negative.  He missed a day or two of work because it was a bad sore throat.  Then about Wednesday my sister got it.  Negative on home test. Yesterday her throat was so bad she was sure it was strep so she went to urgent care.  Negative on strep positive on Covid.  She says the sore throat was her only symptom…well less than 100 temp….but anyway she is much better this morning which is day 5.  

So if I am symptomatic or directly exposed I won’t be trusting those home tests if they are negative. I know many many people lately who have had that sore throat who had a negative home test. 

I agree because omicron seems to so often begin in the throat, but the tests are for nasal swab. I think that throat swab is the way to detect this variation.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Most of the tests recommend taking a follow-up tests in 36 hours or so to confirm the negative result. If my symptoms persisted and/or got worse, I would definitely do a second test! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, momto3innc said:

We had this in November. I was certain my daughter had strep because it was such a bad sore throat. Took her to the pediatrician: negative for both strep and Covid (PCR). Same with my son who got it after her (I was no longer concerned for strep with him but we wanted his lungs checked out as he always has issues with them). He was negative for everything too.

It was a nasty virus: bad sore throat, eventual congestion, dizziness, low fever, cough. I’ve since wondered if it was actually Covid but we did have negative PCR tests…we didn’t have any home tests so I couldn’t try those.

I also got sick but I had absolutely no sore throat, fever, or dizziness-just a runny nose for a day or two. All of us are vaccinated—at that point we had not had boosters.

This was our experience too. Dr said there were several cases like this too.