Menu

Two Streams of Unrelated History Simultaneously?

We've been doing some lite World History--it just happened that way. We're just reading and appreciating a DK World History book,

However, Hubby would really prefer that Jr. get a solid introduction to US History sooner rather than later.

I'm thinking of starting up a US History Program in the spring and doing  US History and World History them concurrently throughout the next few years. Are there reasons why this is a bad idea that I'm not thinking of?

Hubby is worried about giving the kids Too Much at once and them getting confused and learning nothing (or very little).

Edited by mathmarm

I did that two times through (elementary and middle) with my kids. They tell me that didn't confuse them. I was looking for exposure to American History, with a focus on World History. It sounds like your dh might want the opposite balance. We did SotW and a US history workbook series in elementary, and then world with The Human Odyssey and Critical Thinking Co.'s American History workbooks in middle school. Oh, the first year of the world history cycle we didn't do American. We did American History spread over years 2-4. We added in pantry of other resources to both streams, I just used those as the spines.

I did that with state history.  It worked out great as it also benefitted from earlier field trips we remembered and teed up great field trips for years to come.

One of my biggest regrets about homeschooling is that I did not do that with US history.  I assumed that it would be easy to incorporate into world history, which was only partially true.  It deserved to be its own subject, and because I did not do that it was not thoroughly taught.

We have done 2 streams

stream 1 is world history - DS is using SOTW as a spine, DD is choosing specific topics so we piece together books

stream 2 is US history - the spine is Hakim’s history of US (the 10 book one)  spread over 4 years - it comes out to 2-3 chapters per week. 

It hasn’t confused my kids.

• Like 2

Isn't a big part of doing a four year history programme to keep things in proportion? NZ history is usually 2 weeks some time in year 4.

That said we add a bit because A/ NZ was inhabited and did have history before Europeans got here and B/ you can't cover everything in 2 weeks. (Or even 1 sometimes)

Edited by kiwik

Since your son is, if I'm remembering correctly, still early elementary, is suggest continuing the World history that's working and add biographies of famous or influential Americans and exploring rabbit trails that come up.

Our family has done SOTW 1-3 the past three years, then this year we are doing Hakim's Story of US volumes 1-6, taking us from pre-Columbian times through the Civil War. Next year we'll do SOTW 4 and volumes SofUS 7-10 if all works out. 

Hubby and I have been talking about this and have decided that Simplicity is Super Sustainable.

That on top of building on his Geography knowledge and giving a nice foundation of historical knowledge a couple of things that we like about the World History book is the sophisticated vocabulary and reading comprehension that it interjects into his daily school routine.

When he finishes the *World* History book, we'll move to US History and focus there for a couple of years to give him a firm foundation in national history that Hubby wants.

Edited by mathmarm