Menu

Microwave?

happi duck

We might buy a microwave!  Two questions:

Is there any reason not to store bread in the microwave?

What can I cook in the microwave that I might not have thought of before? (Like someone on a cooking show zapped a sweet potato and that seemed like it could be a nice lunch thing I hadn't thought of before)

I often steam veggies in the microwave. I've made rice, quinoa, and oatmeal in the microwave. I use it a lot to reheat leftovers. Hubby often makes his lunch stuff in the microwave--things like scrambled eggs...he's not up to ask what else.

Edited by sbgrace
  • Thanks 1

I keep thinking about this thread and coming back to it because I can’t think of hardly anything I actually cook in the microwave, yet I always seem to think it’s a “necessary” kitchen item! The last thing I cooked in mine was a steam bag of frozen corn. Otherwise, it’s mainly used for re-heating leftovers. 

• Thanks 1

Small portions of anything you would steam are great in the microwave.  Like a single  "baked" potato. Quick and energy efficient.

It's also very energy efficient for larger quantities of steamed foods, but you lose the time benefit with larger quantities (as compared to stovetop)

My cheese-monster  kid uses it to melt cheese on top of just about every meal he eats.

Melting butter or chocolate for baking.

Also fantastic for warming small portions of ready-to-eat foods right on the plate/in the bowl.  Leftovers, canned soup, frozen foods etc.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, happi duck said:

Is there any reason not to store bread in the microwave?

I no longer have a microwave because I never used the one that came with our house.  After 10 years of it being a fancy bread box, we finally ripped it out to put in a better fan hood.  It worked great as a bread box!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wathe said:

Non-food item:

It is the best thing ever for warming up cloth rice bags to use in place of hot water bottles.  

(We have a small microwave in our bedroom dedicated to just this purpose....)

I completely forgot about this possibility!  I've always been jealous of other people's ability to have cordless heat! 

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

Also, growing up, my mom cooked EVERYTHING in the microwave, including the Thanksgiving turkey.  They're definitely great for potatoes, for heating up leftovers or soup, for popcorn or brownie in a mug.  We make oatmeal in them, and sometimes a scrambled egg.  

Mine did too,  Including things like pork chops and fish.  It was the thing in the early 80's.  I am a more discerning microwave cook.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, wathe said:

Mine did too,  Including things like pork chops and fish.  It was the thing in the early 80's.  I am a more discerning microwave cook.

I think this is why I never took to using them.  After eating too many meals of microwaved ham slabs and salmon patties, not to mention WAY overcooked veggies, I just assumed all microwaved food was terrible.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wathe said:

Non-food item:

It is the best thing ever for warming up cloth rice bags to use in place of hot water bottles.  

(We have a small microwave in our bedroom dedicated to just this purpose....)

This is my dream!!!  I tell dh all the time I need a bedroom microwave for my rice bags. I use them almost everyday as I have frequent headaches and sinus pain. 

• Like 1

When I'm being lazy I cook rice in the microwave instead of on the stove. I have some big glass bowls I can use. 

I personally don't use the microwave to store anything. Sometimes microwaves harbor smells like if you popped popcorn or something. I suppose if you ran the microwave with a small amount of lemon juice/vinegar (or whatever those mixes are, haven't done one lately), it might get rid of the odor faster. 

If given a choice between storing food say, on the top of the fridge or top of a counter, I will choose the place further from EMFs. I usually unplug my toaster oven on the counter, but I keep my microwave plugged in because I use it more. 

• Thanks 1