Menu

Ceiling Fans....what to look for

Ottakee

I need a new ceiling fan in my bedroom.  I might also replace the living room one with one with a light (or maybe add a light kit).

Is there a huge difference in performance of various brands?  I see prices from $30-1,000.   I just want 2 speeds, quiet and works.  Nothing fancy and our house is a simple ranch so other than it being white I don't have a style or theme, etc.

What else do I want to know?

Light kits- read the info carefully. Many lights these days come with non-replaceable bulbs. Yes, they are LED but they still fail. And when they do, you can’t replace the bulb.  They’ll tell you the bulb will last like 7 years, but our experience is that they don’t. Replacing the entire light fixture is annoying.  The word to look for is ‘integrated’.  If you buy an integrated fixture, it might last for years. Just didn’t want you to be surprised later to learn a burned out bulb can’t be replaced.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

I might also replace the living room one with one with a light (or maybe add a light kit).

Do you have switches for the addition of a light already installed?
With all the remote powered stuff out there, maybe it’s not necessary (?) but I personally think it’s more a pain to keep tabs on remotes than getting up to flip a switch!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Annie G said:

Light kits- read the info carefully. Many lights these days come with non-replaceable bulbs. Yes, they are LED but they still fail. And when they do, you can’t replace the bulb.  They’ll tell you the bulb will last like 7 years, but our experience is that they don’t. Replacing the entire light fixture is annoying.  The word to look for is ‘integrated’.  If you buy an integrated fixture, it might last for years. Just didn’t want you to be surprised later to learn a burned out bulb can’t be replaced.

Good point

29 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Do you have switches for the addition of a light already installed?
With all the remote powered stuff out there, maybe it’s not necessary (?) but I personally think it’s more a pain to keep tabs on remotes than getting up to flip a switch!

We have the switches if needed.  I was thinking the same thing on the remote.  I am old school

• Like 1

I kept scrolling by this and surprisingly often my brain interpreted ceiling “fans” as in ardent admirers of ceilings. Which I guess I am, because I wouldn’t buy a house without them, but I wouldn’t start a whole thread about it…then my brain would remember the more common type of fan associated with ceilings. 😀

• Like 1