Menu

Remember the guy who was FB messaging me?

Ginevra

He persists. 😬

If you remember, I thought I shook him off after Halloween by telling him about my niece’s wedding and sending him a picture of me and dh. Well, he did go away for a few weeks. Then he gave a one-word “Hi” around TGing. I didn’t respond. Then he said something like, “If you see your parents for TG, tell them I said hi; I hope they are well.” I didn’t respond. 
Now a couple hours ago, he again posts “Hi”. Like seriously, what do I do to make him go away? I have been really, really, really not interested in saying something really final as some people have recommended in my other thread. But still. I don’t want the damn notification popping up on there! And I don’t want his name to keep moving to the top of my conversations. I want him to go away but I wish he would just do so without my having to spell it out. 

• Confused 1

Ok. I might. Ugh! It just feels so mean! Like, ugh. I just don’t want to be that mean bitch who shut him down. My “be a good girl” brainwashing makes it hard. Heh. 

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

It's not mean or bitchy to ignore creepy dudes who refuse to take a polite cue to buzz off. 

I can guarantee he would not be doing this if you were a dude. Men don't act like this toward other men. 

That’s an excellent point 

I would probably block the guy. But you can mute people in messenger so the notification doesn't ever pop up. I muted a couple people in messenger that I want to stay friends with on Facebook, but have this annoying habit of randomly sending gifs/memes in messenger at any time of day or night for no apparent reason.  Super annoying.  So they are just muted in messenger and I never open their message thread. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kirstenhill said:

I would probably block the guy. But you can mute people in messenger so the notification doesn't ever pop up. I muted a couple people in messenger that I want to stay friends with on Facebook, but have this annoying habit of randomly sending gifs/memes in messenger at any time of day or night for no apparent reason.  Super annoying.  So they are just muted in messenger and I never open their message thread. 

Oooh cool I didn’t know this was a feature. I could use this for a cousin; I have no real issue with her, but she sends me recipes all the time. Like, just randomly sends me recipes for lemon bars or pecan sandies or chocolate cherrie bars. I’m always like…why??? 

Ok. I did a thing y’all. I gave him The Speech. 
When I didn’t respond to his “Hi”, he apologized again, like he had before. I don’t really get this; I don’t know if he’s trying to induce pity? Or what. But anyway, I just came clean. I said, “[Name], listen….” I said it was nice to hear from him and reminisce a bit about our shared youth, but I have come to realize I can’t nurture a friendship with a guy with whom I have history; it just is not the right thing for a married woman who plans to stay married to do. I said it would be hurtful to my husband if he saw messages popping up on my phone from a guy from my past and I am not going to continue chatting with him in future because it could be harmful to my marriage. I wished him all the best and said I would remember him fondly but that it won’t continue. 

He replied that I am absolutely right; he was sorry if he implied anything and to have a nice life and a happy marriage. So that’s that. 

I read that article about blocking and I think the article is right. Now that I have had the explanatory conversation, I will block him so he is not tempted to test my resolve and I have to “break up with him” all over again. 

It actually didn’t feel as icky as I expected…feel kind of free

• Like 22

16 minutes ago, Quill said:

When I didn’t respond to his “Hi”, he apologized again, like he had before. I don’t really get this; I don’t know if he’s trying to induce pity?

Yes, and to get you to see him as a "nice" and "safe" guy who couldn't possibly be doing anything icky by pursuing someone who's giving clear "Go Away" vibes. It's a way to wear down boundaries so he can get what he wants.

To be fair, I don't know he's thinking "Ok, now I will apologize to look nice and gradually whittle away at her boundaries! Muhahahaha!"  He's a needy guy that's choosing a creepy way to get his emotional needs met. He's probably done it before and knows if he pushes at someone long enough, he'll be successful and get attention.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Quill said:

Ok. I might. Ugh! It just feels so mean! Like, ugh. I just don’t want to be that mean bitch who shut him down. My “be a good girl” brainwashing makes it hard. Heh. 

You're  much too nice. I blocked my own dad's email for awhile.:blink:

He was sending tons of email forwards and they would pile up so it took ages for my email to load. My  brother didn't have broadband and it was much worse for him. 

• Like 1

Quill, I think what you said to him both saved his feelings and got the job done. 👍

I know other posters are correct in saying that you didn't HAVE to be nice when he wouldn't take a hint, but...IDK, I always feel better if I can resolve problems in a pleasant way, if possible. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1