Menu

Fashionable low boots for problem feet

dirty ethel rackham

I've been following @Storygirl's post about warm boots (which I need - my trusty hiking boots of 30 years bit the dust last year.)  But I also need something to wear with jeans or dressier pants and still be able to wear my comfy wool socks in the winter.  Due to my reconstructed ankle, I need either flat or very low heel with lots of arch support and structure.  But I also need it to be comfortable to stand or walk in so I don't need to pull out my sneakers or trail runners.  I tried getting a bootie from Vionics a few years ago, but they just weren't comfortable.  I don't get out much in public so I'm not sure what is fashionable anymore.  I haven't embraced the "mom jean" trend.  Any suggestions?  I'm OK with spending more for a quality boot that works for me.  Also, easy-on/easy off would be a bonus.  

Propet makes a cute black walking bootie in wide with zipper on the side but laces up. I bought a pair and wore them today with super fluffy, thick fleece socks. My bad ankle (not rebuilt) but I have bad soft tissue damage so ever present, significant swelling. I was very comfortable and my feet were warm. It was about 38 degrees and I was outside for a good bit. They looked really cute with my jeans. I don't think my feet would have been warm for that long if standing in snow, and temps below 30. But, they served their purpose today and I like them.

ETA: I have bunions as well. The proper toe box is wide enough for those if I order a wide or extra wide.

Edited by Faith-manor

11 hours ago, history-fan said:

While I was looking at Noat, which I had never heard of but so cute I saw Alegria brand and they have cute boots too. 

Alegria tends to run wide and Noat a bit on the narrow side so be sure to try them on. I have a narrow foot so Noat works better for me. 

• Like 1

I live in boots & pants & cardigans & scarves from October through March; that is my cool-weather uniform, with endless variations up and down depending on fancy-factor.

You've gotten a lot of good casual suggestions already; for the upward end of the fancy scale I'd suggest something like this

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/andover-bluff-waterproof/40984W.html?dwvar_40984W_color=J17484#cgid=women-footwear-boots&prefn1=isOnSale&prefv1=false&start=1

which I would wear both with fancier pants and with tights & a dress when forced to wear a dress in wintertime.  I've had good experiences with a range of Merrell stuff, from hiking boots to sandals to stuff like the link.