Menu

s/o book series or good individual books for a 15yo girl

SKL

My youngest used to be a voracious reader of books, but she kind of lost interest recently.  Now she spends a lot of time on the internet / social media.  I would like to find books that may draw her in again.

She is almost 15yo and an above-average reader.  Her most recent hit was Tokyo Ghoul.  She loves horses, K-pop, anime, travel, engineering, art, and dark topics.  Her personal life includes adoption, a single parent, a multi-racial household.  She does not like romance or girly stuff.

Any suggestions??

If she is open to nonfiction, she might enjoy 

What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions by Randall Munroe

"In the New York Times best-selling book from the creator of the wildly popular webcomic xkcd, Randall Munroe gives hilarious and informative answers to important questions you probably never thought to ask.

Fans of xkcd ask Munroe a lot of strange questions. What if you tried to hit a baseball pitched at 90 percent the speed of light? How fast can you hit a speed bump while driving and live? If there was a robot apocalypse, how long would humanity last? What if everyone only had one soulmate? What would happen if the moon went away?

In pursuit of answers, Munroe ran computer simulations, pored over stacks of declassified military research memos, solved differential equations, and consulted with nuclear reactor operators. His responses are masterpieces of clarity and hilarity, complemented by signature xkcd comics. (They often predict the complete annihilation of humankind, or at least a really big explosion.)

Far more than a book for geeks, What If? explains the laws of science in operation in a way that every intelligent reader will enjoy and feel much smarter for having read."

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

There is a great series my daughter and I both loved -- The Mirror Visitor Series by Christelle Dabos.  There are four and they are delightful in their world building.  Can be dark at times but not super dark.  More fantasy. 

Things to Make and Do in the Fourth Dimension by Matt Parker for the sciency choice. 

10 hours ago, SKL said:

My youngest used to be a voracious reader of books, but she kind of lost interest recently.  Now she spends a lot of time on the internet / social media.  I would like to find books that may draw her in again.

She is almost 15yo and an above-average reader.  Her most recent hit was Tokyo Ghoul.  She loves horses, K-pop, anime, travel, engineering, art, and dark topics.  Her personal life includes adoption, a single parent, a multi-racial household.  She does not like romance or girly stuff.

Any suggestions??

Oh, if she loves horses, she might enjoy the Chestry Oak, by Kate Seredy. It isn't *only* about a horse, although the horses play an important role in the story. It's about a young Hungarian prince during the Nazi occupation. My all-time favorite book.

She might also enjoy The Little White Horse by Elizabeth Goudge. The title draws you in 🙂 but it isn't really a horse book. My second-all-time-favorite book. In case you read any synopsis that suggests it's a romance or a love story, ignore it. Sheesh. 🙂

• Like 1

I’ll throw out an unusual suspect…

How about the Gothic novel Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier? It definitely made an impact on me—meaning that it was one of those novels that transported me to another place—much like Wuthering Heights or Jane Eyre or Little Women. But I was a weirdo kid so take this with a grain of salt lol.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, SKL said:

She loves horses, K-pop, anime, travel, engineering, art, and dark topics.  Her personal life includes adoption, a single parent, a multi-racial household.  She does not like romance or girly stuff.

How "dark"? The original Dracula by Bram Stoker is an *excellent* book. Definitely not romance or girly, lol.