Menu

Litter box

Storygirl

We MAY be getting a kitten. We're not sure yet, but my niece found one that they can't keep. We're experienced cat owners, though we don't have one right now.

In addition to having a litter box in the basement, we might put one in the kids' bathroom upstairs, but floor space is tight in there. We would have to squeeze it in between the toilet and the bathtub or on the other side of the toilet. We do have a trash can in there now, so I know something would fit, but it would need to be on the smaller side.

We've always had basic litter boxes before; sometimes covered ones, and sometimes open ones. I'm wondering if there are any new designs that we should consider. I'm open to ideas!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Do you need more than one?
We have 2 kitties and just one box in the basement. We haven’t had any problems with that set up. 

The general recommendation is one litter box per cat plus one.  And that you should have one on every floor.  We have not always followed that rule, but depending on the kitten's size, it's not a bad idea.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Terabith said:

The general recommendation is one litter box per cat plus one.  And that you should have one on every floor.  We have not always followed that rule, but depending on the kitten's size, it's not a bad idea.  

Yeah, I know it’s recommended but my point was that not all cats care so it might not be necessary for the OP.
Ours prefer to share. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by MEmama
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Do you need more than one?
We have 2 kitties and just one box in the basement. We haven’t had any problems with that set up. 

We've always had only one. But DD is likely to have it in her room much of the time. It's SOOO tiny that it will be awhile before it would be able to make it's way from the second floor to the basement, whenever it needed to.

It's only a couple of weeks old now, and they are still weaning it. No mama in sight, so they've been feeding it with a dropper, but it's eating more on its own now.

• Like 2

BIL is taking the kitty over to their neighbor's house to see if she wants it, so it may end up being a moot point!

Now that someone else might take the kitty, I want it more. LOL

I was actually okay remaining a feline-free household, but DD16 desperately wants another cat.

Yay! We get to get kitty! We have to figure out when to pick him/her* up, because it's three hours away.

I went to three stores this evening to get a few supplies, and there were only extra large litter boxes in stock. I'll keep looking, in case anyone has suggestions. I can order from Amazon, if needed.

* BIL thinks it's a girl, but orange cats are more often male, so we will wait for the vet to confirm before naming him/her.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Storygirl said:

Yay! We get to get kitty! We have to figure out when to pick him/her* up, because it's three hours away.

I went to three stores this evening to get a few supplies, and there were only extra large litter boxes in stock. I'll keep looking, in case anyone has suggestions. I can order from Amazon, if needed.

* BIL thinks it's a girl, but orange cats are more often male, so we will wait for the vet to confirm before naming him/her.

For a kitten that size, you could use a shallow dishpan. We used to use the cardboard flat that canned cat food comes in when we had fosters and they were still tiny. It needs to be low enough for her to get in and out of easily. She is sooooo cute!

• Like 4

Awwe so cute.

One of our cats was found 'wedged' in the frame of a car (near tires) on a 100+ degree day... tiny cute yellow wire-haired kitten.

We named him HubCat after vet said he was a male (but he was only 4-5 weeks old.  When we went to get him neutered it was discovered that 'he' was a 'she'-- so she was spayed...  We now call her Hubby.  She is also the SOFTEST cat we have ever had!

We keep one litter box in the laundry room-- and another upstairs under the sink in the hall bath- (we removed a door)-- DH also cut out a kitty-shaped hole in the door so bath door can remained closed to keep dog out...

Have fun with the kitten!

• Like 1

Oh, so cute! Since she’s just a kitten, I would have at least one litter box on each floor for now. You can probably go down to just one when it’s older. When we adopted our cat, it turned out she was pregnant and she had two kittens. The advice we read was to have a litter box within 10 feet or so while they are training. So, depending on how completely she is trained when you get her, you may want more than one per floor at first. For kittens, you can use anything shallow, a cardboard box or dish pan etc., whatever you have. 

We thought about a covered one, but ultimately just got one with high sides. We do put a cat mat in front of it, which gets most of the remaining litter out of her paws. Have fun with your precious fur baby!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, popmom said:

So cute!!

Do you have a dog? We have to use the litter boxes with the opening at the top to keep the dogs out of it.

Yes, but the dog stays on the first floor, and the litter boxes will be in the basement and second floor. I have been thinking about the top opening boxes, though, when kitty is big enough to use one. I'm thinking it may better prevent scatter of the litter.

• Like 1