Menu

s/o last name after divorced

If you've gotten divorced  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Did you...

• change your name at marriage and then again when divorcing?
    • keep your previous last name all along?
    • change it when marrying but then keep the married name after divorcing?

I have my x-husbands name. I had it longer than I had my maiden name and he didn't mind if I kept it. I like it better than my maiden name, so I don't plan to change it. We have a very amicable divorce, so I may feel differently if it was a contentious marriage or divorce. 

• Like 2

My mother divorced my father when I was still a baby.  Kept that name.  Then married a stepfather briefly and took his name.  Went back to her maiden name after that, so her last name was different from mine through most of my childhood, at a time when that was extremely unusual.   Then she married my stepfather, who she was married to for almost 30 years.   She didn't take his name but his last name was the same as her maiden name, so she didn't need to.

I took my ex husbands name when we got married, kept it after the divorce so it would be the same as oldest dd's.  Then changed it to dh's when we got married.  I don't think he would have cared if I kept or changed to my maiden name, but he wasn't really on board with me keeping my ex-husbands name, especially once we had kids.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Carolina Wren said:

My mom has had the last name of an ex-husband longer than she was married to the guy. I'm wondering what others do when divorcing.

My mum has too.  Married from 1956 to 1979.  Still alive 42 years later.  When my father died, she briefly described herself as a widow, which was weird.  My dad was married to his second wife for longer, but my stepmother chose to keep her original surname.

9 hours ago, Tap said:

I have my x-husbands name. I had it longer than I had my maiden name and he didn't mind if I kept it. I like it better than my maiden name, so I don't plan to change it. We have a very amicable divorce, so I may feel differently if it was a contentious marriage or divorce. 

Well, not exactly his decision, so there's that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ellie said:

Well, not exactly his decision, so there's that.

No, but since it was amicable, if it bothered him, I would have considered changing it to my maiden name. Same if he gets remarried and If his new wife is bothered by my having the name. I would consider changing it. Not 100% certain, but I would consider it. 

it would take a lot of work on my side to do all the leg work to change it (2 employers, multiple professional licenses/certifications etc.) I would have to be persuaded, but I’m not completely opposed. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 1