Menu

Double oven configuration

Forget-Me-Not

Minor very first-world issue that I’m musing about. We are building a house. Current plan is to put a microwave on the wall above a double oven. This makes the microwave high—not too high for adults, but on the inconvenient side. The other option would be to put the microwave in the island, which I’m not crazy about at all.  I absolutely do not want a microwave/exhaust combo above the stove.  

We went and looked at appliances today and are considering a slide-in cooktop/oven combo with a single wall oven. This would make the microwave more accessible. We’d have our double ovens, but they wouldn’t be stacked. I’m curious if anyone has this set-up and what you like/dislike about it. Cost isn’t really a factor. One set up is about $100 more than the other. 

Thoughts? 
ETA:  I want two full-sized convection ovens. I know there are other options with smaller ovens. We have a big family. I think we’ll use both often. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not

If you get a convection microwave it functions like an oven too. You can get a microwave drawer in the island snd have a double oven in the wall. 

I’ve also seen someone who loves to cook do a full double range instead of a cooktop and a microwave/oven stack in the wall. 

I too think this sounds like a great set up. We have a wall over and the microwave over it. I can't imagine two ovens in there and the microwave still being accessible - unless one oven was way, way low. 

I have wished every Thankgiving and Christmas that we had two ovens, but I've never seen a need two at any other time. We've moved our dressing to the crock pot, and that has solved much of the issue. 

I spent several weeks at a relative's house this summer and was amazed at how much bigger her stove oven is over my wall oven. So much wider!

Edited by Bambam

Personally, I’d do the single wall oven with the other regular stove/oven. What seems like a minor inconvenience now with a high microwave will only get worse with age. We have something similar with a Breville toaster convection oven that slides out from an open cabinet the meets the countertop with a microwave on the shelf above. My favorite appliance ever, but probably too small for your large family. We had considered a wall oven plus range until our range 22+ year old range broke early in our kitchen remodel before we were ready for a new one. We bought the Breville and a hot plate and used them for the next 18 months. It only took a few weeks with the Breville to know that for us a wall oven would no longer be necessary, as the Breville would do everything it could do and more. And worse case scenario if we ever changed our minds, it’s not so permanent. We then just needed to figure out how we wanted to integrate the Breville into our kitchen design.

35 minutes ago, Frances said:

Personally, I’d do the single wall oven with the other regular stove/oven. What seems like a minor inconvenience now with a high microwave will only get worse with age. We have something similar with a Breville toaster convection oven that slides out from an open cabinet the meets the countertop with a microwave on the shelf above. My favorite appliance ever, but probably too small for your large family. We had considered a wall oven plus range until our range 22+ year old range broke early in our kitchen remodel before we were ready for a new one. We bought the Breville and a hot plate and used them for the next 18 months. It only took a few weeks with the Breville to know that for us a wall oven would no longer be necessary, as the Breville would do everything it could do and more. And worse case scenario if we ever changed our minds, it’s not so permanent. We then just needed to figure out how we wanted to integrate the Breville into our kitchen design.

We actually had a Breville toaster oven with a single oven at our last house. It definitely helped stretch the oven! But since we are building, I’d like to go to 2 full-sized. If the Breville survives it’s time in storage, it will probably go to college with my oldest 😊. It is a fantastic toaster oven, but it took a lot of my counter space!

3 hours ago, cajunmom3 said:

I think this sounds like a great set up. I really cannot think of any downsides to it. You must use your ovens a lot more than I do, though. We have a regular double oven, and I have only used it twice in 15 years.

I have a kid who loves to bake and we have frequent large family gatherings 😊

2 hours ago, bibiche said:

The only thing I would suggest is make sure your wall ovens open to the side(s), for easier access to the ovens

Is this an option? I’ve really only ever seen them open from the top? 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not
  • Like 1

I have double ovens (full size convection) with microwave on top.  Our house came that way...

Microwave is TOO HIGH-- I'm 5'8.  It also makes microwave hard to clean-- I'm not allowed on ladders or chairs...

If I had my preference and I 'needed' to have 2 ovens I would go with one wall oven with Microwave on top and 2 big drawers below (what I had in my last house) and then get a separate cooktop/oven combo...

Currently I use my bottom oven for storage only-- but may use it for Christmas cooking--especially cookies-- I don't bake as much as I did when I had kids around.

• Like 1

I am curious why you don't want the microwave in the island. Would it be too low?  We are having a similar debate at our house. DH is against a microwave in the island but doesn't know why except he thinks he won't like it.  

We currently have a wall oven with a microwave above it.  The wall oven is very small (Some of my cookie sheets won't fit) I have looked at a double oven and thought that if the lowest oven was as low as the oven in a range, a double oven with a microwave does not pub the microwave too high.  For some reason, people think it would be strange to have a double oven with the lowest at floor level.  I am not sure I understand--you still would have a higher oven to use and the other option is to go with a range.  I had a range with a full size oven with a smaller oven on the top in a previous house.  It was great.  I could do cookies in both--or I could bake a turkey in the larger oven and rolls in the smaller one.  I wish I could find a wall oven that was really 1 1/2 ovens.

I have a relative that has a large family and has a gas range with a gas oven and then has a separate electric oven.  The nice thing is that if the controls on one goes out, she still has another oven to use because they are separate appliances.  She has a large kitchen, though, so she has room for the setup.

I would strongly suggest prioritizing the microwave being very reachable.

You might consider a double wall oven and no oven with the cooktop.  I suspect that the older I get the less I’m going to want to lean down to hoist a heavy, full roasting pan from just a bit above the floor.  Also, I love my warming oven, and you could put it below the cooktop instead.  The newer ones have thermostats so in addition to keeping food warm you can use them to make a single sheet of cookies and such.