Menu

Talk to me about washer and dryers

hjffkj

Last time I researched washers and dryers I ended up going with top loaders that I LOVED. But those stayed with the house we sold and the new house laundry room is designed to require front loaders.

Well both washer and dryer broke within the last week so now I have to deal with getting new ones. So, can the hive help me out with picking a good high capacity front load washer and dryer set.

I'm not sure if the Miele machines qualify as high capacity (or not).

They are one of those rare appliances that are still built to last for 20 years (or more). The cleaning quality is really excellent.

So is the "clothes handling" (very gentle). And they sip water, power, and detergent.

Prices are in line with other options.

My only qualm would be making sure service is readily available where one lives. The authorized Miele service  network is excellent here in Los Angeles.

Bill

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Last time I researched washers and dryers I ended up going with top loaders that I LOVED. But those stayed with the house we sold and the new house laundry room is designed to require front loaders.

Well both washer and dryer broke within the last week so now I have to deal with getting new ones. So, can the hive help me out with picking a good high capacity front load washer and dryer set.

Ge the longest warranty you can. They seem to be made to fail now

We are replacing a Maytag washer we bought in 2019 because we chose not to go with the warranty, seeing that nice "10 year warranty" tag on the lid.

• Like 1

Miele looks good. That’s on my short list for “when we need a new set.”

We have Electrolux front loaders now, and they have been excellent. We had planned on SQ, but the year we needed new appliances SQ had changed their manufacturing and was getting the most scathing reviews I’ve ever read on Consumer Reports. So we went with Electrolux. No complaints.

• Like 1

Miele is my top pick. There's a long thread on that (which is why someone referenced Bill 🙂 ) so in addition to what I said there, here are a few more options....

We are a larger family, efficiency in water usage matters to me (just the sheer volume of loads we do in a week!), and reliability matters to me.  I'd aim you towards the Electrolux. Specifically, look at the Electrolux EFLS627 series (same number for washer as matching dryer). The 500 series is similar, but with a few less features. The washer has a 15 minute quick cycle and a sanitize cycle, and both of those things matter to me as well. The washer capacity is 4.4 cubic feet, which is large enough for a king comforter, but it is smaller than some washers.  The units are stackable, and the doors are reversible--so you can have the washer door and dryer door open to each other for easy transfers. You're going to likely pay $1200 each for them--crying up front--but the reliability is decent.

I would also look a the Maytag 8200 series, but according to my appliance repair person, a certain small % of these are going to need repairs in the first two years. My appliance repair people are warning me away from Samsung and LG still. They are also apparently nearly impossible to get parts for right now in our area. (My dishwasher and refrigerator and oven all broke last year, so during visits, we just chatted about washers, dryers, and the other things in my house that are all going to need replaced soon.)

• Thanks 1

I know what I want when mine die. I want the Electrolux or Miele. Front loaders work best for our space too. 

For real though, my Bosch front loaders still work 14 years later - they don't work great but they still work. My 4 year old fridge died and I had to replace it. I never in a million years wanted a new fridge 😅

Edited by Ann.without.an.e

Speed Queen is known for reliability.  Consumer Reports has some kind of ax to grind with them and for some reason is always dinging them, but literally everyone I know with SQ loves it.  And I am in that number—I’m out of the service range for German or Asian machines, so for me it had to be an American firm.  I adore my SQs as they are simple and my husband has every expectation that he could fix them if needed, but they are built to last for decades rather than years.  My washer cleans clothes even better than my venerable Kenmore heavy duty one, so much so that I’ve cut way down on using pretreatments, and it’s very gentle as well.  The dryer is just a dryer, but it doesn’t wrinkle the clothes like my former one did, which is nice.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Sadly, the Miele washers don't seem to be big enough for our family of 8. Neither does the speed queen 😞  

One thing about the Speed Queen is that it has really short cycles.  I often do a load of hot wash whites and a partial load of cool wash whites and then dry them together in the same dryer run.  I hear you, though.  My SQ holds more than I thought it would, but not as much as my old Kenmore heavy duty washer.

• Like 1