Menu

Study skills, test-taking skills and strategies recommendations

My Junior DD isn't a good test-taker.  She seems to struggle with study skills- she has a hard time distinguishing the things she needs to write down and remember.  She does study, it just isn't effective.  She often mixes things up, groups of people, numbers of the amendments and what they were, locations, dates.  She also has (in my opinion) basic issues with vocabulary and reading comprehension.  She does have Auditory Processing Disorder,  so I know that contributes to the vocabulary and understanding.   She often gets things confused and turned around.

On the positive side, shes a very bright kid,  interesting,  creative, and kind.  Tests do not showcase her understanding or abilities.   She gets upset when faced with this reality that she just doesn't do well on tests.

I do teach science and history with my 8th graders,  and of all the test this year, she's beat them 1 time.   Last week both 8th graders got 100 on history test, she got a 92 (which is still very good, but not as good).  Science tests are even worse.  One of them gets 100 on every test,  but lately hers have been even worse, low B, high C- when the 8th graders are just missing a few or getting 100.  If you were not using tests to score understanding,  she could explain and converse better, and shows a better grasp of the topics.   

I would really appreciate any recommendations and help.   Don't quite, as I plan to delete later.

I should add that I'm not concerned for my teaching or her high school grade since I can control that, but she does probably want to go to college, so I think a deep focus on study skills, testing strategies, etc.  For college course purposes would be a good idea.  I have this year and next year- she will either go to CC nearby or to a small state university a few hours away.  I am not expecting high scores or straight As.  I'm just looking for her to be able to pass classes and get a degree if she wants.  I'm not sure what accommodations could be made or what documentation I would need?  She has had aural rehabilitation, in 9th grade and its made a world of difference- but she missed sooooo much in those early years!  We struggled and struggled.  She is like a new kid now, but still has big holes and I'm just not sure how to help.  

Open books have been helpful for all of us for memory intensive tests. While my DS16 can cram if he has to, it makes him totally exhausted. Both my kids barely past history tests when it is closed book.
I have had community college instructors that based the bulk of the grades on hands on assignments. Some are generous with extra credit if the students make the effort (or have the time) to do the extra work.  Also my community college instructors allowed two attempts for quizzes taking the higher score of the two attempts. Some gave two attempts as well for the final exams, some did not.

I am just going to say — a 92, and low B, high C, may not be problems.  These may be passing grades leading to a degree for a motivated and engaged student.  These are NOT bad grades.

Okay — so she is #3 out of 3, one of who is getting 100% all the time.

That doesn’t mean she won’t do fine in a different group.

As far as being a person who doesn’t show well on assessments but does show well in real life — dyslexia resources talk about this and basically say — get through school and then realize often goes better, because it’s often possible to play to strengths outside of the “artificial environment” of school.

I agree it’s good to work on skills, but from what you have said I’m really not sure this is a student who can be expected to really struggle in college.  Someone receiving a 92%, low Bs, and high Cs in challenging classes in high school sounds likely to succeed in college to me.  

Not everyone in college is a top student.  Maybe your other students are top students but that doesn’t make your personal lowest student someone who would not succeed in college.  

If you are seeing serious areas of concern that is different — but having advanced 8th graders doesn’t make an 11th grader out to be doing too badly, imo.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've got a few thoughts in different directions.  If she's getting As and Bs, or maybe Cs depending on the class, but just not doing as well as the other 2, I wouldn't worry about being able to pass college classes.  Not all college students were A students in high school.  

I'd check and see if she is struggling with certain kinds of tests.  There are strategies that can be used to learn to do better on multiple choice or true-false type tests.  

You said 2 things that I'm not sure how to reconcile - you say that she often mixes things up and confuses many facts, but then you also say that she could explain them well if it weren't in a test situation.  If she can do it when it's not called a test, that sounds like test anxiety and isn't a knowledge issue, but more of a stress response.  If she's confusing things, then that might be able to be addressed through changing study techniques.  A few things that I've found that really help are to encourage students do be active with the material as they study.  Instead of reading notes, have them start with a blank piece of paper and write everything that they can remember in a coherent way.  Or convert the notes into a flowchart or bulleted list or bubble diagram or explain them to somebody else or anything that isn't just re-reading them over and over, which isn't very effective.  Instead of memorizing dates or names as independent bits of information, think about it as a story - those are easier to remember. 

As a simple example...What does a cell need to do to divide?  First it needs to get bigger so that you don't have two tiny cells at the end...that's called G1, for 'first gap', but can be remembered as growth.  Then it needs to replicate its DNA so that both cells have a full copy.  That's called S, for the synthesis of DNA.  Then it needs to grow some more so that it's almost twice as big since you are going to need enough stuff to make 2 full cells...that uses the same name as before, only it's the second time, so G2.  Then it can divide, which is called mitosis....

On one hand, that's a lot more words that memorizing G1, S, G2, M, and then what happens in each.  But, on the other hand, some students find it a lot easier to remember something that is more like a story, with a logical progression of 'what happens next'.  Maybe none of these will work, but they might be worth trying or help trigger some other thoughts on things that might work.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, BusyMom5 said:

My Junior DD....  Don't quote, as I plan to delete later.

I did not give tests in my homeschool until the last 2 years when they had to take national exams. At that point, I taught my kids how to study. I felt that if my kids wanted to go to university, they needed to be able to test. And if they hated tests, then maybe they needed to find a different path to a career.  My first thought, however, is that there are many different kinds of tests, and memorizing is only one skill among many that is being tested. From what I have read, there are 4 broad ways of learning: Analytical (math, physics), Production (foreign language, musical instruments), Analysis (English, History, Philosophy), and Synthesis (Biology, Organic chemistry). Clearly, there is overlap in many subjects (like economics), but only the Synthesis subjects require memorizing for a test. I made sure that each of my kids did ONE exam in a synthesis subject - organic chemistry -- where they had to memorize a bunch of stuff and then synthesize it into a whole on a test (the NZ national exams which are very hard, so it was quite a slog).  I thought they needed to know what was required to memorize effectively, and I thought they needed to decide if it was for them. Because if it wasn't, there were other fields that they could go into that didn't require memorizing and synthesizing.

Given this experience, my older boy has never taken a synthesis class in university, so there is no need to memorize.  He takes maths and physics classes, and then he takes writing classes that have no final exams.  So his focus is on skill acquisition rather than knowledge acquisition. My younger is planning to go into geography, which is a writing subject with more memory than something like math, but papers are written open book and at home. And if he takes a test, it is going to be an essay test where he is explaining what he knows rather than regurgitating memorized content. 

I tell you all this, because the grades you are giving with 100% or 92% sound like very picky, detailed, memory tests which are not reflective of university classes IMHO. So if you child doesn't do well on them, she can either pick a different major, or assume that university will be more about essay tests rather than multiple choice/fill in the blank/define type tests.  In fact, my older boy now picks his classes based on the way he will be assessed because he knows he is better at 3 hour exams and papers and long homework sets, than he is with 1 hour tests. So he simply won't take any class that has 1 hour tests. And of course he does not take any classes that require any memorizing. 

Just a couple of things to think about. I've written an entire thread on the topic of study skills that is permanently posted at the top of the general board if you want to go take a look.

Good luck!

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 2

What sort of tests are these?  Are they ones you make up, or do they come with the resources you're using?  How do you grade them?  Do you give partial credit?  Are there questions that require more than just a factual response?

You have all given me a lot to think about, Thank you!  To answer a few questions,  the tests I am using are ones that come with the texts, and I use typical public high school textbooks (I think).  

Math- Saxon, we are redoing the second half of Algebra 2 and its going very well.  She is scoring very well and this isn't the type of test she needs help with, since its just like her homework.  I will say that if the same topic is asked in a different way, she may not understand what is being asked - for example on ACT test.  She also has some holes that I have decided to just give up on- basic Geometry stuff just does not translate- but she does great with Algebra and some parts of harder Geometry?  But overall I'm happy with math right now.

History- I have always made up my own stuff with lots of fun resources,  and last year we enjoyed Joy Hakim series.  This year I decided to switch to a regular high school textbook - Holt-bc I felt like she needed practice reading, answering questions and having tests (before I've made my own tests or just stuck with large research projects).  This is one of the areas I'm seeking opinions for.  She is great at the big picture, connecting movements, and loves the story of history, neat excerpts about people,  etc.  The problem is that when tests ask her to remember exact names,  dates, court cases, match amendments, stuff with mundane details, gives multiple choice questions, she just gets all confused and mixes things up.  At this point I'm just doing vocabulary tests and written responses- which she excells at!   Her written work is well thought out, supportive details, logical.   This is one reason I say her test scores do not reflect her knowledge.   My oldest is in college,  and a lot of her grade is from tests like this.  I feel like I need to focus on how you learn to study for tests from a textbook.  If I found a history class that was thoughtful conversation and essays, she would love it.  The college class my older was in, probably a high C or low B.

I do use textbooks for science and have for 9th (Miller Levine Bio), 10th (Holt Earth), and now 11th (Zumdahl World of Chemistry).  I have always purchased teacher materials and used tests from the publisher (mostly).  She does do well, but I do teach it slowly and explicitly.   If I just have her read it, she wouldn't understand.   I focus on vocabulary, because I notice it trips her up a lot.  She often misses vocabulary questions on the test- even though she studies the definitions daily!  I think its a mix of not reading slowly, not paying attention to details, or maybe mixing details up.  Where my 8th graders just listen and ace the tests, she reads her sections after class, takes notes of everything on the board, and works all the practice problems.  I think she is learning a lot,  and I think she knows more than her tests indicate.   She has mentioned wanting to work on science, but thinks its too hard.  Shes extremely creative,  and I think she would do great, but again I feel like I should be teaching better study skills.  

I'm hesitant to discuss English.   She writes beautifully, and for over an hour a day.  She loves writing!  That said,  she often has weird phrasing and word usage errors.  I have no doubt these are from having APD for 15 years!  We work on it,  but otherwise I have no real issues with any writing assignment ever.  She is finishing Writing and Rhetoric book 10 Thesis, then moving to a college text her sister used that focuses on rhetorical writing.  She types crazy fast.  If I had to pick "her" subject, it would be writing.   

To be clear, this kid is smart, she will survive in college,  but courses with a lot if quizzes and tests will not showcase her abilities.   I'd like to work on study skills before she gets there, to make it an easier transition.  Tips, tricks to choosing better from multiple choice tests, better ways to remember vocabulary,  vocabulary in context, etc.  

And thank you to everyone that has posted.  I really appreciate having a sounding board.  

• Like 1

And can I just also say that while I don't believe these tests are a good indicator of knowledge or ability,  I'd like her to feel more confident going into a test. I feel like we are kind of at a crossroads where my own personal teaching philosophy has to be set aside because I'm not going to be her teacher much longer.  I want to be clear that I don't think these quizzes or tests equal an education,  but unfortunately in many universities right now, professors are using online textbooks and quizzes, especially for lower-level courses.  It does go against my personal opinion of what an education means, but I also must prepare her to succeed.  

• Like 1

x-post. These are the first 2 posts from my executive function thread. It seems to me that she is going to need some explicit modelling of the process if she wants to get higher grades.  Some kids figure it out on their own, others just don't.  This is what I do with my tutor kids and with my younger boy who has struggled with study skills.....

The first thing I do, is make sure that they pound on a single test, be completely and totally prepared, and ace it.  To accomplish this, I evaluate what needs to be learned, organize their study, make daily lists, check up on their progress, mark off how much they have accomplished, discuss giving yourself buffer time in your study plan, do practice tests, organize materials in folders for them. I have no expectation that they can do *any* of this on their own.  I have even been known to hold the flash cards for a kid (even 17 year old kids), and sit with them at the library as a friendly supervisor. Basically, I do ALL the executive function *for* them, and make sure they are so prepared as to ace the test.  At this point the student knows what it feels like to be totally prepared for a test, and knows the effort it took to get there.  This is step one.

Next, is the gradual teaching of the *how* of executive function.  This takes a *long* time for some students, as in working with me for 2 years.  The key is not to expect them to be able to do it. Kids with executive function problems just can't.  And nagging them or belittling them is NOT going to work.  They have likely had this negative approach for all the years they have been in school.  They are already used to also negative self-labelling.  Some of my students have so much anxiety from failure due to executive function that they are cutting and drinking etc.  To turn it around, these kids need to believe that they are not abnormal.  *Many* students (as the original poster has noted) can't organize their way out of a box, it is fine to take time to learn the skill, rather than for someone to just tell you to fix it, now. I tell my students over and over that you must 1) figure out what you are supposed to know, 2) figure out what you actually know, 3) make a plan to get from one to the other. Most kids can do NONE of these 3 things.  So you have to show them how to do each, and it is very very tricky to do it well, which is why most kids can't.  Maize, I can go through the types of training I do with each of the 3, if you are interested. In this stage, you are working *with* the students to organize their study, in contrast to stage 1 where you do it all for them.  

Finally, you have the students organize their study while you watch. This step is often best done during exam season, so over the period of a month, and after you have already done at least 2 exam seasons *with* them.  This stage is about making sure they do it on their own and about making sure that they are recognized for doing it (so lots of praise). Kids need to know that someone cares, that there is follow through, that they are not out there on their own before they are ready.  Recognition is key --  Wow, you've got this.  Oh, what a good idea, I hadn't thought of that, I'll use that with my other students.  I love your use of color.  Show me how you laid that out.  Explain to me your system.  Etc. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1

x-post #2

I'm going to summarize the approaches I take with the 3 big questions.

1) What am I supposed to know?  This is not as obvious as you might think.  Sure there might be things to memorize, techniques to master, concepts to understand.  But assessments require more nuance than that.  Are you supposed to relate ideas?  Are you suppose to synthesize? Are you suppose to be insightful?  These are the deeper questions to ask about what is expected of the student.  These example questions are about what you *know* , but there is also the question as to how you are supposed to express it.  How are you expected to show your work?  How are you to organize your arguments?  Are you to give examples, or refer to tables/equations/graphs? What does the style of writing for the subject look like? How much evidence do you need?  etc...

These are the questions that good students ask.  And they vary by subject. I once read that there are 4 types of learning - analytical, interpretative, production, and synthesis (and obviously many courses fall under more than one category). For analytical subjects like math and physics, you need to know how to showing your work, how many word problems there will be, how to do investigations, how much time pressure is expected, how to *explain* in words complex ideas.  For interpretative classes, like English or History, you need to know the requirements for good writing and thinking, things like what is insight look like? How do a make a good argument?  How do I address the question? For production classes like French and Violin, you need to know the speed and accuracy expected. What should you be able to hear? What should you be able to produce? And Finally for synthesis courses, like Biology, what do you have to memorize? How are you expected to synthesize it? How do you make logical arguments? How do you interweave new ideas with memorized content? What do certain instructions mean, like explain, interpret, synthesize, categorize, evaluate?  What exactly do you have to write to answer each of those types of questions? Step 1 of 'what am I supposed to know' is complex, and takes a lot of time to figure out for each different course you are taking.

2) What do I already know?  You would think that kids would be able to state clearly what they know, but no, they really can't.  They often think that if they are familiar with content, then they know it, and are surprised to find that they cannot explain it on a test, at all, especially not under time pressure.  And often they think that if they have memorized the content, then they are done, when actually they need to synthesize what they have learned, or develop skill in making an argument.  There is content and then there is skill.  I can know all about French grammar, but not be able to speak properly.  Skill must be identified and developed separately from content, but often concurrently.  After you make the detailed list of what you need to know from step 1, you need to decide you level of mastery - poor, adequate, excellent. And you need to be honest.  I often get kids to verbally explain something in full sentences, and if they can't, then they don't actually know it.

3) How do you get from what you know to what you need to know?  This is what most people think of as actual study skills, but actually without steps 1 and 2, you don't actually have a clue what to study.  I see this in students all the time.  Not a clue.  Once again, the goal is both learning the content and developing the skill in all 4 of the learning types - analytical, interpretative, production, and synthesis.  For analytical, the content is the straight forward math.  Can you do the work or not? But most students neglect problem solving skills, so that their word problem skills are very very poor.  And their investigation skills are even weaker.  I can go over how to develop problem solving skills in math if you want, as my focus is being a math tutor although I also tutor Bio, Chem, Physics, and English.

For interpretative courses, you need to have certain formats down cold, so that your mind is free to develop insight.  This is where books like "They Say, I Say" come in, and this is also the main purpose for speed writing under exam conditions, if you can write basic stuff fast, your mind is free to work at a higher level as the easy stuff is automated.  Most students do not realize that you really do have to write many many practice exams under time pressure to get good at this. 

For Production courses, obviously drill drill drill. I don't teach production courses but I am sure that someone else can offer advice.

And finally for synthesis courses, you must deal with the memory component in some fashion.  Most students need this to be active, so writing or speaking to memorize, not just doing it in your head.  But the part that most students do not know is that for synthesis subjects you need to practice how to write up answers to paragraph level questions.  And the key here is to use the answers.  Your answers should go into as great a depth and with the same organization as what the model answers look like. The gold is in the back of the book, assuming model answers have been provided.  You need to see how complex you are expected to write an answer, with what detail, and with what linkages.  Without a model to follow, you are flying blind.  And in addition, there are often only about 20 types of questions you need to be able to explain for any test, so you better keep a list and track what is expected for each and which ones you have mastered.  Synthesis subjects are typically the most difficult subjects for kids with executive function problems.

Ok, got to run.  Hope this helps.  I haven't even started with time management, priorities, schedule making etc.....

• Like 1

I think you're right - she does need to learn to do those sorts of tests and quizzes because if she wants to move forward in science she will definitely see them.  As an example, often college labs start with a quiz over what you did last week and what you are about to do, and they aren't deep conceptual quizzes because they are just there to make sure that students are keeping up with the reading and coming prepared to do the lab.  @lewelma's paragraph about students thinking that they know something if they are familiar with it is so accurate.  It's why I suggested the 'blank piece of paper' study method - conjuring it all from your head is a different process.  I was actually fond of blackboards in grad school - i'd go into empty classrooms and give mini-lectures to see if I could explain everything.  

So, a few more questions based on your latest response.  When she writes the good essays, does she use details?  Like, would she say that the founders believed that you should not have to incriminate yourself or would she say that the 5th amendment was written because the founders believed that people should not have to incriminate themselves?  Both show knowledge, but one includes the detail about the name while the other doesn't.  It may help to figure out if there is a general struggle with recalling the details or if there is a problem specifically in remembering them in a non-essay context (because in that case, she might be able to sketch out a quick outline on a blank page and then use that to help figure out the answers).  

You say that she studies her vocabulary daily.  Is that active studying or reading?  Each day does she read the definitions or does she look at a list of vocabulary words and then try to define them by writing the definition?  Does she use the words in context?  Like, if she writes an essay about the topic, would she be able to use the vocabulary words? To increase recall she could use a program like quizlet or kahoots - there are saved quizzes that are available or she can write her own.  Another technique is to have her write test questions and then answer the herself.  The could be helpful in a couple of ways. First, it will show you what she thinks is important - that might be helpful on its own - and second, this kind of engagement with the material is often a good study approach.  Finally, when she reads, is she engaging by taking notes in some way?  Whether an outline, a bubble diagram/doodle/concept map approach, a timeline with a list of vocabulary - how does she engage besides reading?  In the class that I teach, I assign 1--2 projects with each module.  Often students are asked to make a flowchart, labeled sketch, or a table (and there are often tables in the homework, too) because it forces them to look at the material, categorize it, label it, and engage with it.  I tell them that, in college, they won't be given these assignments - they'll just have to figure out what to do to make the studying manageable, so I'm trying to give them some of those techniques now by assigning them as homework.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clemsondana said:

I think you're right - she does need to learn to do those sorts of tests and quizzes because if she wants to move forward in science she will definitely see them.  As an example, often college labs start with a quiz over what you did last week and what you are about to do, and they aren't deep conceptual quizzes because they are just there to make sure that students are keeping up with the reading and coming prepared to do the lab.  @lewelma's paragraph about students thinking that they know something if they are familiar with it is so accurate.  It's why I suggested the 'blank piece of paper' study method - conjuring it all from your head is a different process.  I was actually fond of blackboards in grad school - i'd go into empty classrooms and give mini-lectures to see if I could explain everything.  

So, a few more questions based on your latest response.  When she writes the good essays, does she use details?  Like, would she say that the founders believed that you should not have to incriminate yourself or would she say that the 5th amendment was written because the founders believed that people should not have to incriminate themselves?  Both show knowledge, but one includes the detail about the name while the other doesn't.  It may help to figure out if there is a general struggle with recalling the details or if there is a problem specifically in remembering them in a non-essay context (because in that case, she might be able to sketch out a quick outline on a blank page and then use that to help figure out the answers).  

You say that she studies her vocabulary daily.  Is that active studying or reading?  Each day does she read the definitions or does she look at a list of vocabulary words and then try to define them by writing the definition?  Does she use the words in context?  Like, if she writes an essay about the topic, would she be able to use the vocabulary words? To increase recall she could use a program like quizlet or kahoots - there are saved quizzes that are available or she can write her own.  Another technique is to have her write test questions and then answer the herself.  The could be helpful in a couple of ways. First, it will show you what she thinks is important - that might be helpful on its own - and second, this kind of engagement with the material is often a good study approach.  Finally, when she reads, is she engaging by taking notes in some way?  Whether an outline, a bubble diagram/doodle/concept map approach, a timeline with a list of vocabulary - how does she engage besides reading?  In the class that I teach, I assign 1--2 projects with each module.  Often students are asked to make a flowchart, labeled sketch, or a table (and there are often tables in the homework, too) because it forces them to look at the material, categorize it, label it, and engage with it.  I tell them that, in college, they won't be given these assignments - they'll just have to figure out what to do to make the studying manageable, so I'm trying to give them some of those techniques now by assigning them as homework.  

Good question,  and I think you are both right about actively studying vs just reading notes, thinking she knows the material bc she's read and heard it, but clearly not putting it into longer term memory.  In your example about the 5th Amendment,  it would depend on how the question was phrased.  Generally,  it would not include specific details,  but might include a court case, example from an interesting side story- she is a feeler, so her writing often includes things about why people felt as they did, emotions leading to actions.  

I'm going to go look at the next chapter in history,  and come up with some organizational ways to create study materials for her- thats a great suggestion!  

(And my oldest off at college,  I'm realizing she doesn't have good study skills either.  She's a great test taker, amazing memory, but clearly needs to spend more time in active study!  Hoping to teach this one better!)

Is she missing a lot of vocabulary? The 1879 McGuffey readers are a great way to build up vocabulary, they have difficult words marked and defined. I would start with the 3rd reader, do at least 2 passages a day. They are free online or reprints are cheap, blue and orange covers, not brown 1828 Mott Media edition. She can read them on her own silently.

https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/5671

I would also have her go through my overview syllables video, then lessons 7 - 10, Latin and Greek Roots. The Latin and Greek word root bingo works faster (and is more fun!) than any program I've tried or worksheets or workbooks I've used to learn roots. You can have all ages play together, younger get more help. While they play, you call out the words and definitions from the document for each word as they look for it on their card, link # 4 in the teacher folder.

http://www.thephonicspage.org/On Reading/Resources/SyllablesSpellSuccessTranscript.pdf

Then, have her look up the etymology of difficult words in each subject online, this is a great site for it:

https://www.etymonline.com 

For sentence phrasing, I would do a lot of sentence composing. I like the ones that combine grammar and sentence composing but they are all good. 

Start with middle school:

https://www.amazon.com/Grammar-Middle-School-Sentence-Composing-Approach/dp/0325009562/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=sentence+composing+grammar&qid=1633406330&sr=8-4

Then high school:

https://www.amazon.com/Grammar-High-School-Sentence-Composing-Approach/dp/0325010463/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=grammar+composing+high+school&qid=1633406392&sr=8-2

Also, I would correct any awkward sentences for her and have her re-write them and compare, read both aloud. (After a few months of vocabulary and sentence composing.)

For explicit comprehension help after several months (may be vocab deficit.) The McGuffey readers also have comprehension questions, I think starting in Reader 4, I can't remember.

https://classicalacademicpress.com/collections/reasoning-reading

Edited by ElizabethB
  • Like 1