Menu

Does no roommate, but a room assignment, mean the room is likely to be a single?

Dmmetler

L did the full matching process, etc, and had a roommate assigned, but the roommate said early on that she had applied for a private room, and she has since vanished from the shared room. They're in the LLC for math/science research, so it's a relatively small group (it's a separate, competitive application, similar to the honors college process at other schools). Yesterday was the day that room assignments were supposed to be finalized, and the account shows a room assignment, address, etc, but no roommate. The housing cost is for a regular double room. This is a private LAC where it takes a medical waiver or having family local to live off campus the first two years. 

So, does this mean that my kid likely has a single for at least this first semester? Are we likely to get an additional surprise fee added? 

That happened to one of ds' friends and he did get to have the room to himself all year. But often, the spot will be filled by a student who needs to switch rooms mid-semester, like if they have a roommate conflict.

Edited by Selkie
  • Like 3

I would ask the school to find out for sure but my expectation would be that she lucked into a single for the price of a double but she should be ready to find herself with a new roommate at any point with little notice. Also, I have heard of students in that situation being moved into another double occupancy room. Maybe the fact that she is in a special LLC reduces the chances of that happening. 

So she could have a double all year or she could come home from class one day to find a roommate. 

• Like 1

I doubt they will charge her for a single of she is signed up for a double and just doesn't get a roommate assigned. That happened to me one term (way back when) and the cost of the room was not affected; whether or not a roommate ends up being assigned she should be paying what she signed up for.

• Like 1

They won't charge extra for not having a roommate, but a roommate could show up anytime, even a month in, etc. I would not ask the school either. It is very nice to have your own room and she might get overlooked and have her own room the entire year. She will not be charged for a single though. If by slim chance, a single room charge comes out, then bring that up then. But I seriously doubt it will happen. If you say nothing, maybe she will get lucky and have her own room this year. If you do say something, then she will be on their radar to either add in a roommate or maybe even switch her charges to higher.

Edited by Janeway

13 hours ago, Farrar said:

This is going to vary by college so much so she should ask, but I'll bet she's got a default single for now.

Is that good news or bad?

Mixed. I'm a little afraid that my kid could end up not connecting with anyone, especially after the last year has pushed social anxiety up. Not having a roommate means that there is less forced interaction. But, at the same time, it also means that an introverted kid can escape. I'm hoping the LLC and the first year seminars, etc will help. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Janeway said:

They won't charge extra for not having a roommate, but a roommate could show up anytime, even a month in, etc. I would not ask the school either. It is very nice to have your own room and she might get overlooked and have her own room the entire year. She will not be charged for a single though. If by slim chance, a single room charge comes out, then bring that up then. But I seriously doubt it will happen. If you say nothing, maybe she will get lucky and have her own room this year. If you do say something, then she will be on their radar to either add in a roommate or maybe even switch her charges to higher.

Doubtful.  Everything is computerized.  If someone needs a room, the room will show up as available.  

I agree with everyone else.  She will not be charged for a single bc the room is a single by default, not request.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

Mixed. I'm a little afraid that my kid could end up not connecting with anyone, especially after the last year has pushed social anxiety up. Not having a roommate means that there is less forced interaction. But, at the same time, it also means that an introverted kid can escape. I'm hoping the LLC and the first year seminars, etc will help. 

I had the same sort of thoughts when my shy kid ended up unexpectedly with an open double for a monthlong summer program a couple years ago. He was fine and made plenty of friends and the open double worked out well. But yeah, that's why I asked! I was like, huh, that could be good but also... not so good for connecting with others.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:12 AM, 8filltheheart said:

Doubtful.  Everything is computerized.  If someone needs a room, the room will show up as available.  

I agree with everyone else.  She will not be charged for a single bc the room is a single by default, not request.

Ehh. Things are typically not as organized as you might think. Things fall through the cracks all the time. I agree with Janeway. You might be lucky or you might get some last minute student assigned.  I doubt the college would know even if you called, but it would alert them which you may or may not want based on your child's anxiety.