Menu

Michigan Folks

mom31257

We would love to go to Mackinac Island and to see the Upper Peninsula this summer. We will stay with family in Ohio a few days and then drive up there. 

How are Covid restrictions there? We don't mind wearing masks and distancing. Dh has been vaccinated, but I have not. 

Thank you for any information you can share! 

• Like 1

Gorgeous place to visit. We go to the UP every year. I’m not sure about restrictions. If you love hiking, the cool, mossy forest up there is delightful. There are zillions of creeks, rivers, and small lakes in addition to the the Great Lakes.

Where are you thinking of going other than Mackinac? Be sure to grab some pasties for lunch or dinner. 

Edited by Harriet Vane
Typos
  • Like 1

Unvaccinated folks are supposed to mask. Some businesses are still restricting customer capacity so you need to check that out as well. Be aware that after Memorial Day the words "peak season" are an understatement. It will be very hectic, packed often shoulder to shoulder on the streets of Mackinac Island, and ferries will be sold out. You need to buy tickets for anything you want to do several weeks in advance. This also includes the boat tour of Pictured Rocks in Munising, MI, Soo Locks. If you don't have your hotel rooms or campsites already booked, get it done now because often those are nearly capacity already.

Reservations for sit down dining will be needed on the weekends, but not is much for Tues-Thurs. 

You won't find a lot of restrictions, just capacities indoors at some places, and of course wear a mask because you are not vaccinated. The northern part of Michigan is very much dependent on a certain amount of tourist money each year in order to fund their municipalities in the winter when population drops. So most of them are going to be very accommodating. The issue for you is that it is a serious hot spot and people  from all over the US and Europe vacation there as well as a not insignificant percentage of lower peninsula dwellers vacationing there as well. It is busy, and packed.

If you go as far as the Keeweenaw Peninsula, the busyness scales way back. This area is just gorgeous! Do not stay at the Magnuson Hotel in Hancock because they need to do some SERIOUS renovation. Look for rooms in Houghton. The cities of Manistique and Escanaba are quite picturesque. Lake of the Clouds at Iron Mountain is a wonderful vista as well.

Two tips about the UP. Once you get off of I75, things get sparse. Marquette is the largest municipality. So don't let your car get below a 1/3 of a tank of gas because during the pandemic some of the little party store/gas stations in more remote locations closed permanently. And take the time to plan to picnic because between two marvelous, gorgeous Great Lakes that are like seas, mountain, national forests, national lake shores, old fashioned villages that time forgot, eat outside and take in the beauty. U.P.ers are notoriously friendly, like Minnesotans. Enjoy it!

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 2

We are heading to Mackinaw in June as we do every year.   I would make hotel reservations in advance.  Staying in Mackinaw City or St Ignace is MUCH cheaper than staying on the island itself....but it is a special experience.

Hotel I talked to today said they are doing grab and go breakfast now but might be to full buffet by July 1.  Pool is open.

Michigan is loosening outdoor mask requirements in June and indoor ones in July.  That might be a positive...or a negative for you.

Feel free to message me for ideas on places to go, places to stay, etc.   

We love that area.  I just know that last year some places to eat were closed or had very slow service as they couldn't get enough workers.   Many in the tourist areas used international workers and with covid restrictions that worker pool might be much smaller again this year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skimomma said:

I am dying to know what this means!

My stupid kindle changer U.P.ers to toilets and I didn't notice it until now. Sigh. I hate autocorrect. It is evil and a plague upon humanity. Yoopers is a common name for U.P. dwellers, but some folks might take it in a derogatory manner so I was trying something else.

Edited by Faith-manor
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mom31257 said:

We would love to go to Mackinac Island and to see the Upper Peninsula this summer. We will stay with family in Ohio a few days and then drive up there. 

How are Covid restrictions there? We don't mind wearing masks and distancing. Dh has been vaccinated, but I have not. 

Thank you for any information you can share! 

Hi!  I'm a native Buckeye - my roots started there.  And, DH and I lived in MI years ago.  I want to so badly go back. While in the state of MI go Mackinac Island, Mackinaw City, Sault Ste. Marie (see the "locks" while there), etc.  There is so much to see and do and the northern summers are wonderful!!  Where in OH?  It's about 3 1/2 to 4 from Col to Detroit areas depending on traffic.  

Shepler's Ferry will carry you to the island!  You'll be transported back in time much like the movie that was shot on location at the Grand Hotel located on the island.  No motorized vehicles.  

Walk Sleeping Bear Dunes to see the "lake"  (Lake Michigan).   Leland and Suttons Bay were nice if my memory is correct.  

July is the annual Cherry Festival, if they still have one.  So many awesome cherry products.  Michigan cherries! YUM!  

Rent bikes on the island.  

Take the scenic road. 

That didn't answer your question.  I don't know about masks.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faith-manor said:

My stupid kindle changer U.P.ers to toilets and I didn't notice it until now. Sigh. I hate autocorrect. It is evil and a plague upon humanity. Yoopers is a common name for U.P. dwellers, but some folks might take it in a derogatory manner so I was trying something else.

I was so hoping  there were friendly toilets that I did not know about!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you all! We cannot make reservations right now. We are putting our house up for sale next week because my dh took a job closer to my dad, who lives alone 3 hours away. We really can't make travel plans until we sell the house and move. We are hopeful for all that to happen quickly. He is a school teacher and won't start his new job until late August. 

6 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

Are mosquitos and flies an issue in June?  What are the worst months for bugs?

The black flies will be bad.  Mosquitoes in the woods.   Bigs aren't too bad on the island....never remember an issues there as there is always a breeze there it seems.   August is better bug wise but my extended family can only go June this year so June it is 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Ottakee said:

The black flies will be bad.  Mosquitoes in the woods.   Bigs aren't too bad on the island....never remember an issues there as there is always a breeze there it seems.   August is better bug wise but my extended family can only go June this year so June it is 

That's good to know about August.  If things move okay with the house and getting settled in a new place, there is a window of time between ds moving into the dorm and dh starting school that would be mid August. Maybe we should save it for then, either way. 

What are the temperatures like in August?