Menu

Audiobooks for a 6 year old

He likes: 

The Boxcar Children (gentler ones, nothing ghosts/monsters/ too scary)

Secrets of the Hidden Scrolls

Mr.Popper’s Penguins 

Frog & Toad/ Any Arnold Lobel 

Disney Stories on Amazon Kids 

The Secret Garden (pretty sure it was abridged.) 

Did not Like:

Little House 

Trumpet of the Swan

Ralph Mouse Series

Great Mouse Detective

Thank you in advance. I’m running out of options and he listens to audiobooks for hours at a time. 

Have you thought about adding some radio dramas?  NPR and the BBC have both done some good ones, as well as the plethora of old kiddie shows out there.

You can try different readers, too.  We found a copy of Lord of the Flies read by the author when the oldest was a teen, and we were excited to listen.  It. was. TERRIBLE.  We found a different reading instead that was so much better.

My 5.5DS loves Lois Lowry's All About Sam books--there are four of them, and nothing scary. He also loves listening to

The Wild Robot and the Wild Robot Escapes (some peril)

All the Judy Blume Fudge books (a little interpersonal aggression/ name-calling--not my favorite, but fairly harmless)

Pippi Longstocking 

Gooney Bird Greene

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HomeAgain said:

Have you thought about adding some radio dramas?  NPR and the BBC have both done some good ones, as well as the plethora of old kiddie shows out there.

Great suggestion! Thank you. I think he would love these. We tried Adventures in Odyssey but he said it was terrifying. 

6 hours ago, jrichstad said:

My 5.5DS loves Lois Lowry's All About Sam books--there are four of them, and nothing scary.

This looks like a good match!  Our library doesn’t have the audio version though. I think I’ll add it to the read aloud pile. Thank you! 

• Like 1

My Father’s Dragon by Ruth Stiles Gannett

Henry and Ribsy series by Beverly Cleary

Paddington books

Moffats series by Eleanor Estes if he likes stories about kids, or Ginger Pye if he likes dogs

My kids really liked folk tales from around the world; they tend to be short. 

• Like 3

More votes for Paddington (and there are lots on Hoopla), Winnie the Pooh, and Beverly Cleary books from my 6 year old.

She also loves Uncle Wiggly, Misty of Chincoteague, and James Herriot's Treasury for Children. Since your son liked the abridged version of The Secret Garden, he might enjoy a dramatized version of The Wind and the Willows. We have listened to one from the library and enjoyed it, but I don't know which version it was.

My son is 8 and likes the Great Scientists, Great Inventors, etc. series from Naxos. You might see if your library has those as they aren't too scary or dramatic.

All my children loved the Children's Favorite Stories series by the publisher Tuttle. Some of the books from our library came with really nice audio versions of the stories included, but it was hit or miss whether the book had a cd or not. Your library might have some. My children particularly liked Japanese Children's Favorite Stories.

Jim Weiss's versions of fairy tales, folk tales, and his Just So Stories are very gentle.

The Betsy-Tacy books are a family favorite and one of the better librivox readers reads them here: http://kayray.org/kayray-reads/

• Like 2

Oh! I thought of another one, based on Frog and Toad... Wong Herbert Yee’s Mouse and Mole series.  

“Mr Putter and Tabby” series and “Lighthouse Family” series by Cynthia Rylant, as well as her “Poppleton,” “Henry and Mudge,” and “Annie and Snowball” series. 

Anna Hibiscus by Atinuke

The above are all in the gentle friendship category. Also, I don’t think these are available as audiobooks, but books by Shirley Hughes, and Maj Lindman’s two series (Snipp, Snapp, Snurr and Flicka, Ricka, and Dicka).

If he likes madcap adventures or silly books:

Mercy Watson by Kate DiCamillo

Mrs Piggle Wiggle books appeal to some kids; we liked some more than others.

Charlie and Lola series by Lauren Child

Also, you might see if you can get him into non fiction. I will try to figure out others my kids liked and post again.

Edited by stripe

Odd and the Frost giants

Matilda narrated by Kate Winslet

i also like to use audiobooks where I find thing hard to pronounce (because English is my second language and I don’t do accents besides mine 🤣), and so: The BFG. And parts of Jungle Book. (That audio is a sort of confusing compilation but great quality. Maybe for older than 6 tho).

Winnie the Pooh audiobook was such a treat. 
Chitty Chitty Bang bang and how to train your dragon (both narrated by David Tenant). 

Books by Robert McCloskey, Ann Cameron (Stories Julian Tells series), James Marshall, and the Geronimo Stilton books (if he’s willing to try another mouse! My son read the books and liked the ever changing fonts). Grace Lin’s Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. The Saturday’s by Elizabeth Enright. Fudge by Judy Blume. And Arnold Lobel does have other audio books like Owl at Home.

One series of folk tales my kids listened to was from Rabbit Ears. My library has a TON of these on CD.

Cece Bell has some very charmingly illustrated books, but I don’t think they are available on audio.

And by the way, we weren’t big fans of Little House books, but Farmer Boy is totally different. It’s about her husband growing up in upstate New York, eating tons of yummy food, and having lots of fun. I highly recommend it.