Menu

any one know what protocol is for police and this situation?

ktgrok

54 minutes ago, Plum said:

Btw if you see the video there’s a big tall dude that kicks the girl in the head while she’s down on the ground just before the shooting happened. Did he get charged?

One hopes so, but that's not going to make the news.

While clearly a lot was going on at that scene, I kind of wish the drama part of it stayed out of the news.  I don't think it serves any good purpose.  I've already heard one [black] commentator say "see, this is how those people are" and so on.  Many people are saying the police should not have been called, meaning it's NBD for people to stab each other in that kind of community.  There's a lot that needs to be addressed, but I don't see it being appropriately done by a bunch of people of various backgrounds watching from their sofas.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Katy said:

I’m not sure it was bad journalism to say the family claimed the deceased is who called 911, but no confirmation could be obtained from the call because the woman calling was screaming. 

Note:  I didn’t listen to the recording, I’m just saying what journalists reported. 

But we know the "family claimed" part did not stick with the story. It's all over the place, even here, that Ma'Khia was the one who called the police.

It didn't add up to me but I wasn't going to say anything until we get official word. 

Edited by AbcdeDooDah
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

It clearly depends on the situation.  I don't know if anything else could have been done in the op incident, but here's one de-escalation event that I posted previously 

The most noted point in that to me is that none of those cops are in a hurry to let ego dominate. There is a plan and a group effort and if it takes 15 minutes or 2 hours, you can tell they are perfectly willing to take however long it takes. That does not seem to be a personality trait or a trained trait in most US cops these days. 

9 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

On another thread ppl. are recommending working for smaller PDs but one small PD near me was responsible for drawing on and pepper spraying an AD military officer in uniform for a violation that they knew at the time did not exist. Was it a lack of training? Lack of experience?  I don’t know. Neither is good. I also question whether the funding mechanisms in small PDs can ever be fair to citizens since the PD relies on tickets to fund itself. Also this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/22/northcarolina-police-hair-shoulder-bottom/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2kFHtt76LNB8-wrK_cZqbfcgXzQNP1v6rt-dLXPAZ_qFV63k4t7pfuwIc

In Arkansas, the Supreme Court found that some school districts were too small to provide constitutionally required education opportunities. Are some PDs too small to provide an adequate level of training and policing? I don’t know but I suspect yes.

I do know that there are already reports that PDs think the Chauvin verdict absolves them of the obligation to more thoroughly consider broader reforms, relieves pressure.  If that’s the case, they’re delusional and the issues are even deeper than I thought.

As a Catholic I’m a huge fan of the rule of subsidiary but most people think that always means go smaller and it just doesn’t. Sure buy your groceries local and in season sounds awesome until your region is hit with a drought for 4 years. There’s tiers to subsidiary for a reason.  We are all accountable to and for others. 

• Thanks 1

Also on the topic of a “trained marksman” aspect. It’s often not what most think it is.  Not my favorite source but helpful to know all the same.  I cannot say enough that how people view guns and shooting is way way to heavily based on tv and ego and literally not understanding the words they read.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/military-marksman-nicholas-reardon-columbus-shooting/?fbclid=IwAR28S-LwpId39pD2HqRWOBjqPUkiYOAHVrCIc9hHbcZ0AXAYXZbHHXka8I0

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Plum said:

On another thread I caught a glimpse of a post that was talking about people who use the phrase MSM and what they think about them. 

I work media literacy into every school year. It’s important to me and *not* the most enjoyable part of my day. 

NBC edited the 911 call and didn’t show the knife when they first aired their news report. The other nightly news stations did. Let’s not forget NBC also edited the Zimmerman 911 call and fired 3 for that. Why would they not inform their viewers that the 911 call included “grown girls trying to fight us, trying to stab us, trying to get their hands on our grandma.” All they aired was “we need a police officer now.” The police department released the video in slow motion so everyone would have the full picture. So why oh why would NBC edit it down to the level they did? What are their motivations here? It’s certainly not to inform the public. 

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/nbc-news-deliberately-omits-part-of-911-call-shes-trying-to-stab-us/

Yes, as someone who is apolitical but VERY skeptical of MSM, it doesn’t sit well to be lumped into a group of ignorant intolerant trumpers just for believing that our mainstream media sources are typically spinning some narrative. 

we already know the MSM is heavily biased, right? And that they lie/omit/incite? 

Edited by Masers
  • Like 4

On 4/21/2021 at 2:46 PM, HeartString said:

Is that why pepper spray wouldn't have been effective?  I don't love the idea of the potential stabbing victim getting pepper sprayed in the process, but I like that idea more than someone dying. 

For pepper spray to be effective against one person, you need to be close enough, and in control enough, to spray it directly across their eyes/eyebrows (so it continues to drip into the eyes). Even then, the officer is likely to suffer some effects, which isn’t good.

Given the speed a person with a knife can do damage, and the distance he was from the subject with the knife appearing to be trying to kill someone else, he really didn’t have a lot of options to pick from in the split-second he had to make a decision that was potentially life-saving for the girl in pink.

Shoot or get stabbed

• Like 5

I read an interview with the foster mom.   some of her former foster children had come by for her birthday.  (one of whom was the girl in pink.)

the fight started over cleaning the house.

she also said there have been a lot of fights since the girl moved in.  Sounds like she was having a really hard time having been removed from her mother/wherever she was living.  No information on why her mother didn't have custody.

• Like 2