Menu

any one know what protocol is for police and this situation?

ktgrok

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I'm not sure that a knife fight with MORE weapons is less dangerous than with only one armd person?

The difference is you aren't trying to figure out how to protect a single unarmed person on the verge of being stabbed. If a group of idiots is fighting you can hose them down, barrage them with rubber bullets, or whatever.  

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, HeartString said:

Stop and Frisk was stopped not because it was seen as racist, but because it was found thst it was being used in a racist way.  Blacks people were stopped far more often.  And crime didn’t spike after it was stopped so it seems like it was doing nothing but harassing people.  

And creating a pipeline to prison for low level "crimes" and drug offenses.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

She probably didn’t even realize the popo had arrived it all happened within moments of him showing up.  

what does that even mean?  

1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

I  People have mentioned hoses, batons, tazers, and pepper spray, but as others have pointed out, those likely still would have resulted in the girl in the pink being stabbed and at minimum winding up seriously injured if not dead.  The officer needed something that would work across the distance he had  

tazers only have an approximately 50% effectiveness rate at stopping someone immediately.  They have to be close enough to be deployed, and not get tangled in clothing.  so - use a tazer, and the girl in pink had a 50% chance of having her throat slit.

1 hour ago, SKL said:

I think it's possible that Ma'Khia was seriously upset and panicked, and if she had a troubled past, she likely didn't get warm feelings from seeing the cops there.  She may have felt in fear on various levels.  But that has nothing to do with SYG.

If, in her mind, she was truly acting in self-defense, then it would be a question of self-defense, regardless of SYG.

The neighbor who turned over video said this was a foster home. so - probably trouble kids from troubled backgrounds if they've been removed from their parents.  It gets back to more mental health support.

I agree she was probably upset - I don't think she panicked, so much as was angry at the prospect the girl in pink was going to get away with whatever made her angry, so she chased after her with intent to "finish her".  (she was on the verge of slicing the throat with a knife of the girl in pink, and to me it looked longer than a steak knife. - which I don't consider all that useful as a kitchen knife.)  And it did look like the girl in pink was holding a small dog (which was dropped), which may have been the root of the fight.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Plum said:

: important to add his quote from the link 

There are simply no shortcuts to understanding use of force decision making. It requires a sophisticated understanding of laws, policies, tactics, and human factors.

Yes, that's sort of what I'm looking for, and your link is another part of that. thank you. 

9 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Am I the only one that thought she was going more for the shoulder not the neck? (don't get me wrong, neck would make more sense, but the video clips I saw she was going for the shoulder, other girl was kicking her away. 

TBH I don't think she was aiming for any part of the body in particular. She was simply looking to make contact.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Am I the only one that thought she was going more for the shoulder not the neck? (don't get me wrong, neck would make more sense, but the video clips I saw she was going for the shoulder, other girl was kicking her away. 

In slow mo it looked like the neck.  And as you said, it makes more sense - exposed, vulnerable.

If you're going after someone with a blade while a cop is pointing a gun at you, you probably aren't thinking "shoulder trim."

• Like 1

I say "po po" privately, but I am aware that some people consider that insulting.  When I was growing up, there were lots of insulting things said about cops in our neighborhood, such as "I smell bacon."  I don't put "po po" quite in that category, but I wouldn't go up to a cop and say "hi Mr. Po Po" either.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Have you not heard “the popo” before?   

It’s a slang term for police/law enforcement/COs.  It tends to have negative connotations.

No, I haven't.   and it does sound very negative, which would only make things worse.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, SKL said:

I say "po po" privately, but I am aware that some people consider that insulting.  When I was growing up, there were lots of insulting things said about cops in our neighborhood, such as "I smell bacon."  I don't put "po po" quite in that category, but I wouldn't go up to a cop and say "hi Mr. Po Po" either.  🙂

In my first high school the school resource officer was usually referred to as po po. It was NBD.

48 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

I'm not sure that a knife fight with MORE weapons is less dangerous than with only one armd person?

Less dangerous to whom? With only one armed person, there is certainly more danger to the unarmed person.  

In a knife fight, each participant is trying to attack while also trying to protect themselves. Very different from a situation in which there is only one armed person going after someone who cannot hurt them back.  Or, at least not hurt them back to the same degree. 

ETA: Or maybe I am misunderstanding your point, I can't tell now. 

Edited by marbel
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, SKL said:

In slow mo it looked like the neck.  And as you said, it makes more sense - exposed, vulnerable.

If you're going after someone with a blade while a cop is pointing a gun at you, you probably aren't thinking "shoulder trim."

Honestly, I didn't get the feeling she was being that strategic. Just trying to get the other girl, who had her arms up and was kicking out. So whatever she could get, which with the girls arms up, seemed to be upper arm, but I haven't rewatched it. 

58 minutes ago, HeartString said:

The culture in the UK towards police is probably far less fear based.  Our police kill far more people, and our jails are far more hellish.  When people are less afraid they will act differently and you get a different kind of feed back loop than we have. 

It depends what community you're from. And where you live. And how other factors shape your attitudes - for example, there's a foolish tendency to collapse differences in policing between to UK and the US by some abolitionist activists there.

25 minutes ago, HeartString said:

I’m not sure what that means. 

I am not Melissa obviously, but this thread makes me see the very different way Americans think of/approach policing in the abstract. American policing seems very reactive, yet some people on this thread and in general comments in media seem to want to have the effects of a proactive police force without actually desiring the proactive policies. It isn't really applicable to compare proactive policing and all that entails with reactive policing where the police are primarily only summoned when there is a problem. There is a missing factor of relational policing in these instances. You do not seem to have local relational policing, except in schools from how it sounds at least. (Armed police in many schools, yes?)

I wouldn't call traffic stops proactive necessarily either, although I think some view it as a prevention tactic in some cases (drink driving/under influence for example), as usually it would seem those are still reacting to a problem.

Add in how many different jurisdictions there are in the US with city police, county sheriffs, public safety officers, and other types of law enforcement with different boundaries and purposes and it's not homogenous at all. I don't think it's really helpful or useful to do much comparison between the US and UK as the societal differences are so vast on this topic in particular. 

The police seem to be working, in this instance in particular, within the parameters they are given. The police were summoned. It was a life threatening scenario. The officer reacted to protect the unarmed citizen in immediate danger. End stop. He wasn't there to provide mental health counsel. He was there to protect. 

Edited by Holmesschooler
  • Like 3

This seemed relevant.  Not sure why the quote is all underlined.  

Police in the United States receive less initial training than their counterparts in other rich countries—about five months in a classroom and another three or so months in the field, on average. Many European nations, meanwhile, have something more akin to police universities, which can take three or four years to complete. European countries also have national standards for various elements of a police officer’s job—such as how to search a car and when to use a baton. The U.S. does not.

The mix of instruction given in police academies speaks volumes about their priorities. The median police recruit receives eight hours of de-escalation training, compared with 58 hours of training in firearms, according to the Police Executive Research Forum, a think tank for police executives. But despite the initial focus on firearms, American police don’t receive much ongoing weapons training, either. Slocumb said that when he was an officer in the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department, pistol requalification went from happening once every 30 days to four times a year, and then to three times a year. “That’s not because the sheriff or anyone else wants us to become less proficient,” he said. “It’s just a financial consideration.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/04/daunte-wright-and-crisis-american-police-training/618649/

Edited by HeartString
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Holmesschooler said:You do not seem to have local relational policing, except in schools from how it sounds at least. (Armed police in many schools, yes?)police, county sheriffs, public safety officers, and other types of law enforcement with different boundaries and purposes and it's not homogenous at all. I don't think it's really helpful or useful to do much comparison between the US and UK as the societal differences are so vast on this topic in particular. 

I have no idea how I got the quote formatting messed up.  Anyway no, IME there is very little relational policing here. Even school resource officers are generally there to intervene only in a reaction sort of way.  Cops sometimes give safety demonstrations, do their best to scare kids in driving classes to be careful, and might throw candy in a holiday parade, but that’s it in many places IME.

I’m not sure city police/county sheriffs deputies or state highway patrol matters at all, I think state law governs all policing. Different states have drastically different laws. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, HeartString said:

This seemed relevant.  Not sure why the quote is all underlined.  

Police in the United States receive less initial training than their counterparts in other rich countries—about five months in a classroom and another three or so months in the field, on average. Many European nations, meanwhile, have something more akin to police universities, which can take three or four years to complete. European countries also have national standards for various elements of a police officer’s job—such as how to search a car and when to use a baton. The U.S. does not.

The mix of instruction given in police academies speaks volumes about their priorities. The median police recruit receives eight hours of de-escalation training, compared with 58 hours of training in firearms, according to the Police Executive Research Forum, a think tank for police executives. But despite the initial focus on firearms, American police don’t receive much ongoing weapons training, either. Slocumb said that when he was an officer in the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department, pistol requalification went from happening once every 30 days to four times a year, and then to three times a year. “That’s not because the sheriff or anyone else wants us to become less proficient,” he said. “It’s just a financial consideration.”

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2021/04/daunte-wright-and-crisis-american-police-training/618649/

That article popped up as a notification on my phone a little bit ago. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but I was impressed with the timeliness 🙂

2 minutes ago, Plum said:

Kind of on a rant now.

Adding to Happy’s point.  
Why do you think militarization of the police happened? My guess is that it’s easier to gear them up than to train them. Training implies longevity. Turnover is not cost effective. Training police as if they were the military or the FBI won’t work for state budgets and small towns. 

It was also due to a suprlus of military equipment, that could be purchased easily. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Plum said:

Kind of on a rant now.

Adding to Happy’s point.  
Why do you think militarization of the police happened? My guess is that it’s easier to gear them up than to train them. Training implies longevity. Turnover is not cost effective. Training police as if they were the military or the FBI won’t work for state budgets and small towns. 

This brings up a good point tho. Police departments, like schools, are a major source of pride for small communities. Does that mean that every small town needs, or should have one tho, particularly if they cannot train or equip them appropriately without abusing pedestrians and motorists for minor infractions (to raise revenue)? Like schools, there are some economies of scale to consider.

I said in a previous thread that I though 'defund' the police was a stupid slogan but the question remains whether we are asking police to do too much. Much of the reflexive defense of current policing approaches is based on the assumption (which shall not be challenged!) that they are doing what they're trained/told to do. We have to be willing to consider that we are training and telling and asking them to do too much and/or the wrong things. ITA that militarization is cheaper than training. Funnily enough, it ties in to another discussion we were having about AP testing. It's cheap/easy but doesn't actually fix the underlying problems.

Edited by Sneezyone

5 minutes ago, Sneezyone said:

This brings up a good point tho. Police departments, like schools, are a major source of pride for small communities. Does that mean that every small town needs, or should have one tho, particularly if they cannot train or equip them appropriately without abusing pedestrians and motorists for minor infractions (to raise revenue)? Like schools, there are some economies of scale to consider.

I said in a previous thread that I though 'defund' the police was a stupid slogan but the question remains whether we are asking police to do too much. Much of the reflexive defense of current policing approaches is based on the assumption (which shall not be challenged!) that they are doing what they're trained/told to do. We have to be willing to consider that we are training and telling and asking them to do too much and/or the wrong things. ITA that militarization is cheaper than training. Funnily enough, it ties in to another discussion we were having about AP testing. It's cheap/easy but doesn't actually fix the underlying problems.

Yes, we are asking too much of them. That’s not their fault. Not saying you said that, but the focus should be on policy makers, not poorly paid peons who are doing their jobs. One of my professors last semester was chief of police in Inglewood, CA for over 30 years. He is firmly in the “defund” camp. He said he would never send an officer to a mental health call without a mental health professional now. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AbcdeDooDah said:

Yes, we are asking too much of them. That’s not their fault. Not saying you said that, but the focus should be on policy makers, not poorly paid peons who are doing their jobs. One of my professors last semester was chief of police in Inglewood, CA for over 30 years. He is firmly in the “defund” camp. He said he would never send an officer to a mental health call without a mental health professional now. 

ITA. I'm not much interested in dissecting individual instances anymore. It's tiresome. I'm much more interested in how our conflicting messages, policies and laws are setting everyone up to fail.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, what we need is to look at more fundamental things and figure out what will prevent most of these situations.

Even if the whole world agreed that this cop made the right choice in the moment, he still has to process the fact that he took a life to save a life.  What a shitty position to be in.

• Like 9

51 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

mentioned police in the UK.  According to Wikipedia, there are like 45 police departments in the UK.  According to that article, there are approx. 18,000 police departments in the US.  There are approx. 150,000 police officers in the UK, but there are like 800,000 in the US.  (the population of the US is also about 5 times the population of the UK)

So one way other countries improve policing is by reducing redundancy and taking advantage of efficiencies of scale in order to spend money where it’s needed.  That’s a good place to start. And sounds like something that could be bipartisan. 

Edited by HeartString
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Holmesschooler said:

Obviously it is a moot point if police are not present? I am not sure what your point is. Why would anyone be discussing when police are not present? 

I am referring instead to incidences like the following. Alternative force did not work and they had to resort to gunshot to end the situation. Officers in the UK also wear knife proof vests. Is that the case in America? Do all officers in the US wear vests at all time? 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-53222031

https://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/uk-police-shoot-knife-wielding-man-dead-london-69479788

It clearly depends on the situation.  I don't know if anything else could have been done in the op incident, but here's one de-escalation event that I posted previously 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HeartString said:

So one way other countries improve policing is by reducing redundancy and taking advantage of efficiencies of scale in order to spend money where it’s needed.  That’s a good place to start. And sounds like something that could be bipartisan. 

On another thread ppl. are recommending working for smaller PDs but one small PD near me was responsible for drawing on and pepper spraying an AD military officer in uniform for a violation that they knew at the time did not exist. Was it a lack of training? Lack of experience?  I don’t know. Neither is good. I also question whether the funding mechanisms in small PDs can ever be fair to citizens since the PD relies on tickets to fund itself. Also this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/22/northcarolina-police-hair-shoulder-bottom/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2kFHtt76LNB8-wrK_cZqbfcgXzQNP1v6rt-dLXPAZ_qFV63k4t7pfuwIc

In Arkansas, the Supreme Court found that some school districts were too small to provide constitutionally required education opportunities. Are some PDs too small to provide an adequate level of training and policing? I don’t know but I suspect yes.

I do know that there are already reports that PDs think the Chauvin verdict absolves them of the obligation to more thoroughly consider broader reforms, relieves pressure.  If that’s the case, they’re delusional and the issues are even deeper than I thought.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Laura Corin said:

It clearly depends on the situation.  I don't know if anything else could have been done in the op incident, but here's one de-escalation event that I posted previously 

That is so terrifying to watch. Brave officers. I know they're trained, but still. A machete! Great teamwork.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

On another thread ppl. are recommending working for smaller PDs but one small PD near me was responsible for drawing on and pepper spraying an AD military officer in uniform for a violation that they knew at the time did not exist. Was it a lack of training? Lack of experience?  I don’t know. Neither is good. I also question whether the funding mechanisms in small PDs can ever be fair to citizens since the PD relies on tickets to fund itself. Also

I think consolidation at the top with less administration and more beat cops would be a good thing.  Every single city  and county doesn’t need to repeat the command structure.  Even the city/county/state police/state trooper dynamic has so much redundancy.  

4 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

In Arkansas, the Supreme Court found that some school districts were too small to provide constitutionally required education opportunities. Are some PDs too small to provide an adequate level of training and policing? I don’t know but I suspect yes.

I livdd in AR when they did that and agreed with it.  I did see it implemented stupidly time after time. They just shuttered perfectly good buildings and put kids on busses for an hour instead of the new district just keeping the buildings and redrawing lines a bit so more kids were using the buildings. That would have helped the over crowding at the bigger school in a way that helped everyone.  Even good ideas can be implemented poorly. 😞 Which I suspect we’ll see with police reform too.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sneezyone said:

On another thread ppl. are recommending working for smaller PDs but one small PD near me was responsible for drawing on and pepper spraying an AD military officer in uniform for a violation that they knew at the time did not exist. Was it a lack of training? Lack of experience?  I don’t know. Neither is good. I also question whether the funding mechanisms in small PDs can ever be fair to citizens since the PD relies on tickets to fund itself. Also this: https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/04/22/northcarolina-police-hair-shoulder-bottom/?utm_campaign=wp_main&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR2kFHtt76LNB8-wrK_cZqbfcgXzQNP1v6rt-dLXPAZ_qFV63k4t7pfuwIc

I do know that there are already reports that PDs think the Chauvin verdict absolves them of the obligation to more thoroughly consider broader reforms, relieves pressure.  If that’s the case, they’re delusional and the issues are even deeper than I thought.

Some PD’s are absolutely too small. I once dated someone who was the “Police Chief” of a small town. Which meant he was the only guy except one reserve officer who took over when he was sick or on vacation.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Holmesschooler said:

I read this morning that the other women/girls (age was not specified) in the altercation were the foster mother’s former foster children who had come by for a celebration. 

Did the one that was killed have a mental break?   I mean that honestly. It seems like she called the police in fear for her life, either thinking there was a break in or that they were there to fight her.  Was she having a break down, a paranoid dillusion maybe?  That might explain her odd behavior, lunging at the other girl in front of the cop was just strange. 

16 hours ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you to those that had more knowledge of collapsible batons than me! Like I said, I went into this discussion with fictional knowledge only, lol. (they work WAY better against knife attacks in books, it seems)

Batons could be useful, but there are a lot of factors in play with any close combat. Your opponent's skill, height, and adrenaline levels would be some.

Training can do a lot, but there is still risk involved. My 5 ft tall daughter can kick her 6'3" father in the head. My 5'10" daughter can take him down with a rear naked choke. We call my 14 year old son The Flying Squirrel because as a 13 yo he could strike his opponent's head with a combat stick from 8+ feet away in one very fast, accurate spring. All three of them have hundreds of training hours. All are really good at hand shots (strikes to the hand or forearm of the hand holding the weapon). But all of them miss sometimes. And cops aren't getting 2 or more hours of training each week.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HeartString said:

Did the one that was killed have a mental break?   I mean that honestly. It seems like she called the police in fear for her life, either thinking there was a break in or that they were there to fight her.  Was she having a break down, a paranoid dillusion maybe?  That might explain her odd behavior, lunging at the other girl in front of the cop was just strange. 

What I watched did not touch on anything surrounding that. The foster mother was shown clipped saying (I cannot remember exact words) that the children fought frequently since Ma’Khia had moved in, however it also sounded like the two other girls/women did not currently live there? The voice over stated the other girls had come over to put on a birthday party for the mother and had asked Ma’Khia to help clean up before she got home because she liked a clean house, a fight ensued over that (physical or verbal not specified) and one of the other girls called the police. 

If I followed correctly the biological mother was quoted as saying Ma’Khia was an honor student and this was out of character. 

I would imagine being in foster care would be extremely difficult to bear as a teenager in the best case, but apart from saying the foster children frequently argued, that was all that was addressed. Nothing was said about why, how long or anything else to do with her placement away from her biological mother. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HeartString said:

I'm not sure why people think it was the deceased who called the police.

1 minute ago, HeartString said:

It was in the initial reports.  

I see.  This is part of the reason why I try to avoid listening to early reporting.  It's almost always wrong.  One wonders why there isn't accountability for bad journalism when it can incite needless reactions.

• Like 6

Just now, SKL said:

I see.  This is part of the reason why I try to avoid listening to early reporting.  It's almost always wrong.  One wonders why there isn't accountability for bad journalism when it can incite needless reactions.

This isn’t a case I’m following closely, do we know who made the 911 call yet? 

4 minutes ago, HeartString said:

I think someone posted above that it was someone else in the foster home.

I don't know for sure, of course.  At this point I'm not sure it matters.  But I doubt it was the deceased because (a) she seemed angry the cops were called and (b) she was the one with the blade.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Plum said:

Well  now that‘s not absolute. There’s a lot of times they are able to deescalate that doesn’t make the news. 

Nothing is absolute but we have seen this, multiple times, play out very differently with both armed and unarmed, naked individuals.

3 minutes ago, Plum said:

On another thread I caught a glimpse of a post by post that was talking about people who use the phrase MSM and what they think about them. 

I work media literacy into every school year. It’s important to me and the most enjoyable part of my day. 

NBC edited the 911 call and didn’t show the knife when they first aired their news report. The other nightly news stations did. Let’s not forget NBC also edited the Zimmerman 911 call and fired 3 for that. Why would they not inform their viewers that the 911 call included “grown girls trying to fight us, trying to stab us, trying to get their hands on our grandma.” All they aired was “we need a police officer now.” The police department released the video in slow motion so everyone would have the full picture. So why oh why would NBC edit it down to where the level they did? What are their motivations here? It’s certainly not to inform the public. 

https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/nbc-news-deliberately-omits-part-of-911-call-shes-trying-to-stab-us/

Maybe because they will have a more exciting story to report if their initial reporting leads to angry reactions, LBJ tweets, maybe they are hoping for a good riot to report on.  Sorry but it's hard to see those decisions in a positive light.  So some accountability on them would be nice.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, SKL said:

I’m not sure it was bad journalism to say the family claimed the deceased is who called 911, but no confirmation could be obtained from the call because the woman calling was screaming. 

Note:  I didn’t listen to the recording, I’m just saying what journalists reported. 

13 minutes ago, SKL said:

I think someone posted above that it was someone else in the foster home.

I don't know for sure, of course.  At this point I'm not sure it matters.  But I doubt it was the deceased because (a) she seemed angry the cops were called and (b) she was the one with the blade.

You said “At this point I’m not sure it matters.” 

In a way, I agree with you, bc the narrative (correct or not) of her being the victim who called 911 for help has already taken hold in the general population of what happened.

I do think that it is vital to find out the details of this situation, and all others involving police violence. 

History has shown, however, that the first story out is the one that sticks.

24 minutes ago, HeartString said:

I have not read or seen where the police have identified the callers. There were two calls. The media has speculated and named both Ma’Khia and/or the foster sisters, depending on the media source. I agree with Plum that they would do best to stop speculating. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Plum said:

Btw if you see the video there’s a big tall dude that kicks the girl in the head while she’s down on the ground just before the shooting happened. Did he get charged?

I hope he was charged.  It was a hard kick and completely unnecessary.

It also happened right in front of the police officer -- who had just arrived -- who was trying to focus on the girl with the knife -- who was threatening the life of another girl.

The officer had to take this into consideration as he was trying to neutralize the threat of the knife.  If he had attempted to approach the girls at the car, would the guy next to the sidewalk try to take him down -- right after he had kicked a girl in the head?  The officer had to consider it was likely.

There was a whole lot going on there and it was happening fast.  

• Like 2