Menu

January Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Going back to stimulus for a minute... I haven’t changed my mind that I’d like to see future hypotheticals be more scaled and targeted, but

I was listening to some of what Janet Yellen was saying the other day (yesterday? Time is meaningless to me lately) and she did point out an important demographic that I tend to forget. People, generally women, who have left the workforce to take care of kids and schooling.  They’re not eligible for unemployment + boost. That’s a big hit to a family.

It got me thinking about other situations that are difficult to account for. My son hasn’t gotten anything because he’s his father’s adult dependent. He left work because his employer, in a state that doesn’t care about enforcing precautions, won’t take good precautions.  Now, my kid has 4 parents who won’t let anything truly bad happen to him, but what about young adults who don’t have supportive parents with available resources?

My sister was in a difficult and complicated situation pre-COVID, and COVID has prevented her from being able to get out of it. She hasn’t been able to get a place of her own because she hasn’t been able to get a job because she can’t risk her or her kids bringing COVID into the house with two at-risk (one severe) seniors. Of course she isn’t eligible for unemployment, but her crisis has been extended to protect our parents.

These are just some examples of things old tax returns may not show and there’s no quick and simple way to “prove” circumstances to a computer program.

I still don’t know the answer, but I see more of the problem.

In those 2 examples that I know have happened to lots of people in the country, their 2020 tax returns would show that there would be a drop of income for the year.  Then I think targeted help for people who have had a huge drop in income would be the best way to deal with that. Hopefully with the vaccine and in a few months time people will be able to get back into the job market.  

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

In those 2 examples that I know have happened to lots of people in the country, their 2020 tax returns would show that there would be a drop of income for the year.  Then I think targeted help for people who have had a huge drop in income would be the best way to deal with that. Hopefully with the vaccine and in a few months time people will be able to get back into the job market.  

Depending on when it happened, maybe.  My son left in November. My sister was a sahm who left an abusive partner last year, so no on-paper income change. 

Again, I’m just using them as examples. I can only imagine how many other variables other people have in play.  I don’t want to see them fall through the cracks.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Depending on when it happened, maybe.  My son left in November. My sister was a sahm who left an abusive partner last year, so no on-paper income change. 

Again, I’m just using them as examples. I can only imagine how many other variables other people have in play.  I don’t want to see them fall through the cracks.

It is so complicated for sure.  I am sorry for your son and sister.  Are the seniors that your sister is with, able to get vaccines at this point?  In our state it is anyone 65 and older.  I even saw on the news today that you don't have to be a resident of our state to get a vaccine here. 

• Like 2

Spent $7 on a math workbook this morning. DD's POTS and PTSD come with a big side of brain fog, and Algebra I is kicking her heiney (it's her 3rd time through it this year - we've done private school, Saxon, and now Teaching Textbooks), so a review of Pre-Algebra is in need again. I bought an e-book called Dazzling Line Designs off of Scholastic as she really likes coloring to review percentages, fractions, and decimals. 

Last of DD's new clothes are in the mailbox. We'll see what fits and I'll return the others.  

Used up the last of the heavy cream right before the exp. date making homemade ice cream this morning. Tried a new coffee cake for breakfast using up some apple cider left over from when oldest was here. She loves apple cider, but none of the rest of us are really fans. It was ok. Will make a second batch of instant pot egg bites with (hopefully the last of the) kielbasa later this afternoon. 

Hoping the roads are clear as I have a couple of bags of donations and I've got to mail oldest a package and buy some stamps. Otherwise, I'll get that done tomorrow.

It's DH's only day being at home this week. He expects he'll work at least the morning this coming Saturday as well. If so, that is 5 out of 6 days this week. They are calling him in more and more, so my gas budget is creeping up again. 

• Like 3

Got dh's new paycheck.  We elected for a lot more coverage.  Now I see the difference per month of that. 

We decided to max out the 401k at the max that we are let by his company now, vs a smaller % of his pay month to month to max out by the end of the year.  

My kids got into their top Summer Intensive.   We are waiting to hear back from a few others.  But then we will be spending $$$$$$$$ for their summer training.   I paid for another audition this weekend that if I had waited a day we wouldn't have done.  Oh well.  Always good to get an extra class and a feel for another school.  

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Sold 2 items today and met the people at Goodwill so my two oldest and I popped in real quick to take a look around.  We found 2 pairs of Air Nikes in near new condition for $5 each.  We'll be able to sell one pair for $70 and the other for $100. Also found a Vera Bradley bag for $3 that we should make $20 on (dd found that one all on her own, I almost didn't get it.)  I don't know purses.

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Sold 2 items today and met the people at Goodwill so my two oldest and I popped in real quick to take a look around.  We found 2 pairs of Air Nikes in near new condition for $5 each.  We'll be able to sell one pair for $70 and the other for $100. Also found a Vera Bradley bag for $3 that we should make $20 on (dd found that one all on her own, I almost didn't get it.)  I don't know purses.

Awesome score.  Let me know when you guys start a youtube channel on reselling.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So far made a splurge purchase and bought the last three Sight and Sound DVD's that we didn't own.  Was going to do it last fall and just never got around to doing it. We watched Noah on Sunday night and was reminded how good these are and went and purchased them before I forgot again.  Sadly they don't have their newest production (Esther) out on DVD yet.  We'd love to watch that one again.

Picked up my new glasses that were replaced under warranty.  They came with a 1 year warranty on the frame but nothing on the lenses.  I had opted not to buy that part because I've never had problems with lens getting scratched.  Of course during lockdown they scratched.  I was not happy and when they reopened went to see how much new lenses would be.  Since they were closed for several months, they extended the time I could purchase a warranty and the warranty was much cheaper than new lenses.  Lenses got scratched for a second time in December.  Thankfully they were still under warranty.  When I went to get the lenses replaced they said they could replace the frames too so of course I said yes.  So completely new pair of glasses for free.  We never used this place before but insurance changes had necessitated it.  I'm not thrilled with the quality since my lens scratched twice in less than a year nor that you have to pay extra for a warranty but happy to have new glasses nonetheless.

I think I can skip grocery shopping this week.  Still trying to eat down the freezer, plus DS brought home a 40 cup container of cilantro rice from work so I can make some mexican meals this week and use up the refried beans that came in the school lunches that my kids won't touch on their own. Plus I just cooked up a turkey my neighbor gave us at Thanksgiving and have meat and broth to make soup with.  Both of those will make some pretty large meals so that plus the school lunches will carry us through the weekend I think.

I have to return some leggings to Kohl's tomorrow.  Eldest DS's girlfriend is visiting and she had commented last month that she was having trouble finding fleece lined leggings (she lives in the desert so no surprise but they are kind of mandatory for our weather) so I picked up a bunch of styles and sizes not knowing for sure what would work for her. So now I can return the ones she doesn't want.

I also got a check for almost $500 in the mail today from one of the medical groups in our area.  All it says is it is a refund for overpayment.  At first I thought it was one of those scam type of checks because I never pay for anything until I get an EOB saying for sure I owe the money. Took me almost 30 minutes of hunting through records to figure out what it might have been from.  In 2019, I paid for some bloodwork, I can't remember why my portion was so high but I had paid it because that's what the EOB said I owed.  Anyways apparently, someone somewhere decided I didn't owe that afterall. So yeah for surprise money.

• Like 4

How do you handle the accounting on reselling? Do you use software? How do you handle documenting the cost basis?

I have thought about doing this, but I would need to do it in an up and up way because I also have a professional license with fiduciary responsibility, iykwim. I am held to a much higher standard than the general public.

If you don’t want to answer, totally understand. 🙂 

• Like 1

Most of Amazon’s laser printers can’t get here in the next several weeks. Best Buy had two Brother laser printers in stock, Office Depot had four. It’s like the new toilet paper. 

We have dh’s professional WFH situation, a college student, a kid in public school high school finals and a homeschool going on....not really in a position to wait for a better price. $600 once we included the high volume toner.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

So far made a splurge purchase and bought the last three Sight and Sound DVD's that we didn't own.  Was going to do it last fall and just never got around to doing it. We watched Noah on Sunday night and was reminded how good these are and went and purchased them before I forgot again.  Sadly they don't have their newest production (Esther) out on DVD yet.  We'd love to watch that one again.

Picked up my new glasses that were replaced under warranty.  They came with a 1 year warranty on the frame but nothing on the lenses.  I had opted not to buy that part because I've never had problems with lens getting scratched.  Of course during lockdown they scratched.  I was not happy and when they reopened went to see how much new lenses would be.  Since they were closed for several months, they extended the time I could purchase a warranty and the warranty was much cheaper than new lenses.  Lenses got scratched for a second time in December.  Thankfully they were still under warranty.  When I went to get the lenses replaced they said they could replace the frames too so of course I said yes.  So completely new pair of glasses for free.  We never used this place before but insurance changes had necessitated it.  I'm not thrilled with the quality since my lens scratched twice in less than a year nor that you have to pay extra for a warranty but happy to have new glasses nonetheless.

I think I can skip grocery shopping this week.  Still trying to eat down the freezer, plus DS brought home a 40 cup container of cilantro rice from work so I can make some mexican meals this week and use up the refried beans that came in the school lunches that my kids won't touch on their own. Plus I just cooked up a turkey my neighbor gave us at Thanksgiving and have meat and broth to make soup with.  Both of those will make some pretty large meals so that plus the school lunches will carry us through the weekend I think.

I have to return some leggings to Kohl's tomorrow.  Eldest DS's girlfriend is visiting and she had commented last month that she was having trouble finding fleece lined leggings (she lives in the desert so no surprise but they are kind of mandatory for our weather) so I picked up a bunch of styles and sizes not knowing for sure what would work for her. So now I can return the ones she doesn't want.

I also got a check for almost $500 in the mail today from one of the medical groups in our area.  All it says is it is a refund for overpayment.  At first I thought it was one of those scam type of checks because I never pay for anything until I get an EOB saying for sure I owe the money. Took me almost 30 minutes of hunting through records to figure out what it might have been from.  In 2019, I paid for some bloodwork, I can't remember why my portion was so high but I had paid it because that's what the EOB said I owed.  Anyways apparently, someone somewhere decided I didn't owe that afterall. So yeah for surprise money.

Yay, for surprise money.  Always a good thing.  Free glasses awesome.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Most of Amazon’s laser printers can’t get here in the next several weeks. Best Buy had two Brother laser printers in stock, Office Depot had four. It’s like the new toilet paper. 

We have dh’s professional WFH situation, a college student, a kid in public school high school finals and a homeschool going on....not really in a position to wait for a better price. $600 once we included the high volume toner.

Ouch on the printer.  But unfortunately sometimes you just don't have a choice about these things.  Hopefully it has lots of nice bells and whistles and lasts a good long time for you.

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Those are great finds!  I'm sure I've donated stuff that is worth reselling but I just can't bring myself to go through the hassle of taking pictures, listing, coordinating the sale, etc.  So good job for not only being willing to go through that but also for knowing which items are worth bothering with.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, historically accurate said:

Spent $7 on a math workbook this morning. DD's POTS and PTSD come with a big side of brain fog, and Algebra I is kicking her heiney (it's her 3rd time through it this year - we've done private school, Saxon, and now Teaching Textbooks), so a review of Pre-Algebra is in need again. I bought an e-book called Dazzling Line Designs off of Scholastic as she really likes coloring to review percentages, fractions, and decimals. 

Last of DD's new clothes are in the mailbox. We'll see what fits and I'll return the others.  

Used up the last of the heavy cream right before the exp. date making homemade ice cream this morning. Tried a new coffee cake for breakfast using up some apple cider left over from when oldest was here. She loves apple cider, but none of the rest of us are really fans. It was ok. Will make a second batch of instant pot egg bites with (hopefully the last of the) kielbasa later this afternoon. 

Hoping the roads are clear as I have a couple of bags of donations and I've got to mail oldest a package and buy some stamps. Otherwise, I'll get that done tomorrow.

It's DH's only day being at home this week. He expects he'll work at least the morning this coming Saturday as well. If so, that is 5 out of 6 days this week. They are calling him in more and more, so my gas budget is creeping up again. 

My eldest daughter went through several Algebra programs too,  She did the best with Math U See but even that took us 2 years to get through. Hopefully the book you got will be the one that helps it all click for her.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

How do you handle the accounting on reselling? Do you use software? How do you handle documenting the cost basis?

I have thought about doing this, but I would need to do it in an up and up way because I also have a professional license with fiduciary responsibility, iykwim. I am held to a much higher standard than the general public.

I just started up again so don't have any software yet.  I used to use quickbook but it has been so long I don't know if there is better software out there.  Most likely for the first year I will just keep all receipts and track all sales with google sheets. So, basically once a week I'll likely input all the items individually on a spreadsheet with cost paid, where it is posted, if it sold, what it sold for, and any costs associated with selling it (fees, tax withholding, postage, etc.)  If we do end up with more than a 30 or so items at a time I'll switch to software to make it easier. That is the fiduciary responsible way to go about it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I just used an Excel file that I made when I did purchase for reselling; I bought and sold American Girl stuff for a couple of years when my kids were really into it. Date purchased, where purchased, amount, amount, ebay/FB/where-ever & date sold, ebay fees, packaging/shipping costs.

• Like 4

For those working on sinking funds these articles might be helpful. The first is a general overview and then the second a big list to give you ideas of things you might not have thought of--

https://www.youneedabudget.com/a-household-budgeting-tip-anticipatory-budgeting/

https://www.youneedabudget.com/a-list-of-43-variable-and-non-monthly-expenses-you-might-want-in-your-budget/

YOu obviously don't have to use YNAB for sinking funds but I use that and like their articles so maybe someone else will too. The biggest reason I'm using YNAB is the ease at which I can set up and keep track of sinking funds and savings. I'm super excited to be really going at this year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, of course since dh's college bill was a bit less I had another expense to take the place of that. He had to buy a new calculator, $120. He has one that is very nice, but it does too much. Sigh. So, I had 70 extra set aside, so I had to pull another 50 from other funds. 

Dh picked up some groceries and got my Ibotta stuff too since he had to get his calculator. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

A reseller I watch just posted this

Reseller Tax Chat With A CPA! Mark Answers All Your Reselling Finance and Tax Questions - YouTube

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

It is so complicated for sure.  I am sorry for your son and sister.  Are the seniors that your sister is with, able to get vaccines at this point?  In our state it is anyone 65 and older.  I even saw on the news today that you don't have to be a resident of our state to get a vaccine here. 

They are now eligible in their state, thank goodness, but they have yet to be able to secure an appointment. At least, not when I had talked to my mom earlier this week.

• Like 1

Got one of dd’s several dentist appointments taken care of yesterday.  The estimated costs they gave me were for about $1,000 OOP. They managed to get two fifths of the work done and it came to $245, so I’m really, really hoping the rest goes the same way!

I also spent $4 on lottery tickets, lol. It’s tradition to get scratchers in our Christmas stockings, and dh had won $10, so he traded them in for Powerball and Megamillions the other day. SInce MM went up again, I figured why not.  $4 provided me lots of planning entertainment while dd was in the chair. It takes a lot of time to figure out how to spend that much money!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Soror said:

Well, of course since dh's college bill was a bit less I had another expense to take the place of that. He had to buy a new calculator, $120. He has one that is very nice, but it does too much. Sigh. So, I had 70 extra set aside, so I had to pull another 50 from other funds. 

Dh picked up some groceries and got my Ibotta stuff too since he had to get his calculator. 

Ugh.  Doesn't it always happen that way? 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2021 at 11:17 AM, historically accurate said:

If you need another idea to use up the Apple cider- it makes a great marinade for pork.   

• Like 3

I got my oldest's 1098 (tuition IRS) in the mail today. I about had a heart attack when I saw it. It doesn't include spring semester although we paid out of the 529 in December 2020 for spring semester. So, at this moment, I would be taxed and penalized for the thousands of dollars we took out to pay for spring semester. I noticed that there is a box checked saying it includes tuition for January 2021. School and outside contractor (I spoke to both) didn't seem all that concerned or surprised. Seriously, how often are you wrong on reporting to the IRS since there was like 0% surprise in your "Oh, so the amount in box 1 is wrong. OK." statement?

Apparently, there is an online portal where DD can dispute the amount. So, we're going to have to go that route and talk it through either facetiming or over the phone. I hate IRS issues! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The hot tub repair guy has been here for a few hours. We already replaced most of the components and it still isn’t functional. I have this visual image of dollars flying away. He bills at $200/hr. 

Ugh.

$200/hr! Must tell dh this. Doubt I'll ever think about getting a hot tub again

Hot tubs aren’t cheap. One came with this house. It has been fantastic for my rheumatoid arthritis, but they aren’t inexpensive at all. It’s still cheaper than some additional medications for me—so for our very specific situation it’s a cost-savings still—but it’s about $60-70/month for basic water, electricity, and chemicals. Maintenance on top of that—heating elements ($300) last a year or two, pumps ($800) last five years or so, and circuit boards all need replacing on the regular. We do all of our cleaning and basic maintenance. It’s about an additional $160/month ($40/week) if we had a pool/spa person come do that for us.

• Thanks 1

Dh got a one time bonus of $750. I've already told him to take it and get his tattoo finished, which should be roughly that much. He has been working on it for years, but since we keep having kids he has to keep adding to it. Basically he has something representing each kid on his stomach. Oldest is a warrior bear, next is a queen, then a knight, and finally Persphone popping out of the ground. He still has the last two kids to get done. Youngest will be a depiction of Freya but I have been adamant he can't have cats pulling a chariot. Not sure what he's doing for our youngest son.

• Like 1

Payday means paying bills and accomplishing goals!  Only had one bill to pay to finish off the month so most of the paycheck went towards ticking off financial goals.  I got the home maintenance sinking fund filled!! Just have the property tax and christmas sinking funds left to fill for the year, which will get funded fully once the money from Statefarm hits the bank

• Like 2

Got 20 items listed this week and have sold 6 of them!  The sales have paid for the cost of the rest of the items and then a bit more.  So, any additional sales are pure profit, which will just go back into buying more inventory.  My goal for this weekend is to find 20 more things to buy and list.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, hjffkj said:

Got 20 items listed this week and have sold 6 of them!  The sales have paid for the cost of the rest of the items and then a bit more.  So, any additional sales are pure profit, which will just go back into buying more inventory.  My goal for this weekend is to find 20 more things to buy and list.

Wow, I am in awe of people who flip. I just don't have the knack to know what someone else would want. Great job!

Do you sell on ebay?

25 minutes ago, saraha said:

Wow, I am in awe of people who flip. I just don't have the knack to know what someone else would want. Great job!

Do you sell on ebay?

I have been learning for years what people will buy.  While also listing some things that I'm new to like sneakers. I've never sold sneakers before so this is a test run. I'm hoping it goes well because there is good money in flipping athletic sneakers.

Currently, I'm using facebook marketplace with the shipping option.  I've made 3 shipped sales and 3 local! I wanted to test marketplace because the shipping aspect is newer and I have disliked ebay in the past.  I'l switch to ebay if marketplace doesn't pan out.

I've listed 6 items this morning.  Only have 2 more to list.  Not sure if I'll be able to source 10 more this weekend but we'll see.  I may go out tomorrow morning but we'll see. 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, saraha said:

Do you sell on ebay?

People usually recommend starting buy selling stuff in your house you are not using.  You can follow people on youtube and see what they are selling to get good ideas of what you can pick up to flip. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

People usually recommend starting buy selling stuff in your house you are not using.  You can follow people on youtube and see what they are selling to get good ideas of what you can pick up to flip. 

One of the problems I have noticed with this approach in terms of other people is that they know what they paid for their things and usually can't part with it for its actual used value.  Then they get frustrated when it doesn't sell at the price they want and think reselling is a waste of time.  I see it time and time again.

However, if you start with items you are buying for a few bucks and flipping for a triple what you paid or more it is much more gratifying and lights a fire of interest and passion.

I think it just depends on your personality. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

One of the problems I have noticed with this approach in terms of other people is that they know what they paid for their things and usually can't part with it for its actual used value.  Then they get frustrated when it doesn't sell at the price they want and think reselling is a waste of time.  I see it time and time again.

However, if you start with items you are buying for a few bucks and flipping for a triple what you paid or more it is much more gratifying and lights a fire of interest and passion.

I think it just depends on your personality. 

I can for sure see that.  But I think can also open up your mind that stuff you have just sitting around your house can be worth money.   I love getting paid for people taking my clutter.  

• Like 2

DD went and got new pointe shoes today.  She had to be fitted for a new pair because her feet grew a bit and the old ones were not fitting the structure of her feet so that she could dance correctly in them on pointe.  The shape of her foot is actually changing. 

Different brand and style.  Cheaper than the other brand she was wearing, by $26.   But these ones are also not on discount online.  New ones were $90

2 other kids got new flat shoes, because they grew.

Extra masters class $60 for 3 oldest kids.

• Like 1

I did a lot of pent-up spending yesterday:

insulated travel mugs with lids (dd fried her laptop this week spilling hot tea on it)

a new phone card for Ds (we pay as you go for the kids)

needed clothing items (due to teens changing sizes)

Valentine’s Day candy

new throw pillows for the couch (the old ones were triggering my allergy/eczema—can’t wash them, no room in the freezer to freeze the dust mites, were looking worn anyway)

replacement earbuds because the old ones had failed

etc

• Like 2

DH got gas for his car, and he picked up donuts this morning. I mailed Oldest's package a couple days ago & bought a book of stamps. I got a message from Walmart that they're processing my return of clothes. 

Youngest & I went to the library to pick up hold books as tomorrow is supposed to be snowy. Middle got an Amazon package of art supplies, but that came out of her money. Oldest's 1098 Tuition form is not yet online, so we have to wait a few days to get that corrected. 

I'm probably going to make some granola later today as I did buy some vanilla yogurt. That combo always goes over well here. I just have to get the ooomph to actually make it. It'll be a spaghetti night tonight. I bought a kitchen spider spoon-thing this week with Walmart pickup so I'll make some fried mozzarella sticks with some of the extra cheese sticks for snacks later this week. I need to do some sort of a menu plan for the week. 

I got the bill for DH's license plate renewal stickers. I had completely forgot about it. So, that'll be addressed in February. 

• Like 2