Menu

January Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

Well for January specifically my frugal goal is to not eat out at all this month, only exception is if ds picks ordering food as his bday dinner since that is already budgeted for.

For the year, just keep doing what we're doing. Specifically, not impulse shopping, looking for things used prior to buying new, continuing to eat at home, socking away as much money a month as we can.  2020 was a phenomenal year for us financially and the first quarter of 2021 is looking to be the same way.  We will likely max out at least one of our Roth IRAs by mid feb, which wil feel really good. The plan is maxing both out by the end of spring.

Not really feeling refreshed about the new year. I foresee 2021 being very similar to 2020, which was good for us personally but shitty all around

• Like 7

We had a nice chunk in our savings money market account and then took out enough to buy a used car when my 16 year old got his license.  So, our first goal is to reimburse ourselves for that.    Then, both boys have some student debt and we will start helping with that.

I too am going to stop eating out as much.   We were spending too much eating out AND I want to focus on some health goals this year, which will mean healthier foods.   

I did just buy a very nice spin bike.    I tried to find used for several weeks but the one I want/need is very hard to find as people tend to keep them.   So, I ordered new yesterday.

ETA:   I have cancelled the bike.   I just can't justify the cost.  I will wait to find used.

Goals:

• Funds for used car back into account
  • Set up autopay for student loans
  • continue all savings and retirement accounts as they are already set up (auto pay so I don't even think of them.)

And just so you know......right now I would pay ANY amount of money to have someone else finish writing my National Boards.....it is like a noose around my neck right now.

Edited by DawnM
  • Like 5

Financially we are in a much better place than we were last year, hoping it stays that way.

We have lots of financial goals this year we are hoping to meet.

I'm actually planning on loosening up a bit with the budget as I have kept it very, very tight. 

But I want to keep focused on our goals and whether or not our spending is helping us reach them. I'm not planning on upping the grocery budget (staying at 600 for the month). Keeping eating out to special occasions only (then only sometimes - I generally just prefer to cook a nice meal for dh and I when we have anniversary or such). But will be funding some different things around the house that I've neglected, like a blender, mine is a 1970 hand me down and only has 1 beater. It doesn't work well, we usually just stir by hand but that is a bit ridiculous. I am going to take some spending money each month. I have a few things inside the house I want for this year- a new downstairs vanity, living room rug, and coffee table/end tables. 

Goals:

1-- Fund Efund 😀 1/14 Done

2-- Sinking funds- hope to have most of them filled up by the end of the year but that of course depends on what happens and how much we need to use them- ie if several of my appliances go out at once and dh's transmission fails sinking funds in those categories will take a hit

3--Finish funding European vaca fund for 2022

4-- Continue 401k at current level; start a Roth for myself. We have enough in the 401k but I'd like some in my name and the tax advantage at retirement time.

5--Build dh a shop, this is likely going to cost 20% more than expected due to an increase in building materials 

6-- More efund savings--if anything is left after all of those goals.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

I really need to tighten up for January, probably February, and maybe longer. Here’s to house hunting!

December hit us with a new washer (and $70 at the laundromat while waiting on it, plus we had paid over $100 to see if the old one could be fixed, and we generously tipped the poor guys who came out on a rainy Christmas Eve to deliver!) and $1400 in all the car maintenance dh delayed. 😕 I’m wrung out.  I just “splurged” on two bras that were on sale so I could call it December instead of January.

We’re paying quite a bit more for health insurance this year, but with 0 deductible and low co-pays so I don’t have to debate whether or not something is important enough to deal with.  It could wind up being more expensive overall, but releasing that mental load is HUGE.

I’m hoping to do much better with setting up sinking funds this year.  I very much stink at that.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I really need to tighten up for January, probably February, and maybe longer. Here’s to house hunting!

December hit us with a new washer (and $70 at the laundromat while waiting on it, plus we had paid over $100 to see if the old one could be fixed, and we generously tipped the poor guys who came out on a rainy Christmas Eve to deliver!) and $1400 in all the car maintenance dh delayed. 😕 I’m wrung out.  I just “splurged” on two bras that were on sale so I could call it December instead of January.

We’re paying quite a bit more for health insurance this year, but with 0 deductible and low co-pays so I don’t have to debate whether or not something is important enough to deal with.  It could wind up being more expensive overall, but releasing that mental load is HUGE.

I’m hoping to do much better with setting up sinking funds this year.  I very much stink at that.

Wow, a zero deductible!  I haven't ever seen that in our offerings.  That would be really nice.

Sorry about all the car and washer issues.  

Good luck house hunting.   Is the market tight where you are? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Wow, a zero deductible!  I haven't ever seen that in our offerings.  That would be really nice.

Sorry about all the car and washer issues.  

Good luck house hunting.   Is the market tight where you are? 

My state just started it’s own exchange this year, so I’m guessing that’s part of it. I haven’t seen 0 offered in ages. It’s quite pricey, though.

Our market stinks (for buying.) We lost the bid for an almost perfect house and haven’t found anything worth looking at since. Hoping to decide whether or not to build in the next few days. I’d really rather just move into an existing house!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Today's to do

Make both Roth IRA full contributions

Shut off Netflix .    We use it some, but thinking about how much it costs a year, I don't think we get that much out of it.  Thinking about Disney Plus, but we are about to be busy with school and dance again. 

Year end checking all investment accounts

January to do

Hopefully close on the refi

Taxes

Realized we let $10 of Macys money expire

Need to do some returns

Deposit some more Christmas money

Waiting to get the on the list for the other doctors appointment we need to go to.   Still haven't gotten that ER visit bills.

• Like 3

no stimulus check for us yet 😞 I'm so impatient, ha.

So, I decided that I don't want to live without a microwave. while I almost never use one, I realized the kids heat up leftovers often and without one I have to be in the kitchen helping them a lot more.  So, I'm sending dh to test a used one out and purchase it for $70 if it can pop a bag of popcorn well.

I don't think we have any more spending planned this week and it isn't payday so no bill paying or financial goals accomplished today.

• Like 2

Made a reservation for a hotel to take DD back to college in a few days today. Was my 10th reservation with hotels.com, so we'll have a freebie in May to go get her. Need to get up and start packing for the trip. Will get oil changed tomorrow before the trip; it's sleeting today, so no going anywhere. 

DH bought his mom a bouquet of flowers for late FIL's birthday tomorrow. Very sweet, but not budgeted. So we have to fit that into this next paycheck's budget.

Ordered groceries today; will pick up tomorrow. 

I gathered a checklist posted on the financial/legal documents thread and printed it out. I figure I will work on making a financial/legal binder so we have all information together. DH would be lost if he needed to take it over unexpectedly, and I may not be thinking correctly if something happened to him. I'm going to work on it during my isolation time after I get back from college trip. 

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Made a reservation for a hotel to take DD back to college in a few days today. Was my 10th reservation with hotels.com, so we'll have a freebie in May to go get her. Need to get up and start packing for the trip. Will get oil changed tomorrow before the trip; it's sleeting today, so no going anywhere. 

DH bought his mom a bouquet of flowers for late FIL's birthday tomorrow. Very sweet, but not budgeted. So we have to fit that into this next paycheck's budget.

I gathered a checklist posted on the financial/legal documents thread and printed it out. I figure I will work on making a financial/legal binder so we have all information together. DH would be lost if he needed to take it over unexpectedly, and I may not be thinking correctly if something happened to him. I'm going to work on it during my isolation time after I get back from college trip. 

So smart.   I need to do that too.   So many accounts and so many passwords.  UGH. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hjffkj said:

no stimulus check for us yet 😞 I'm so impatient, ha.

So, I decided that I don't want to live without a microwave. while I almost never use one, I realized the kids heat up leftovers often and without one I have to be in the kitchen helping them a lot more.  So, I'm sending dh to test a used one out and purchase it for $70 if it can pop a bag of popcorn well.

I don't think we have any more spending planned this week and it isn't payday so no bill paying or financial goals accomplished today.

Fingers crossed the microwave works.

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

I need to go through paperwork. I like to thin things out each year as we only keep some things so long. Yippee for the free hotel room.

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Today's to do

Make both Roth IRA full contributions

Shut off Netflix .    We use it some, but thinking about how much it costs a year, I don't think we get that much out of it.  Thinking about Disney Plus, but we are about to be busy with school and dance again. 

Year end checking all investment accounts

January to do

Hopefully close on the refi

Taxes

Realized we let $10 of Macys money expire

Need to do some returns

Deposit some more Christmas money

Waiting to get the on the list for the other doctors appointment we need to go to.   Still haven't gotten that ER visit bills.

Great job getting things done. I'm now with you, waiting on bills, always so fun as you have no clue how much they will be.

• Like 1

Since not eating out is one of my goals for the month I'm going to hold myself accountable and on task by posting my meal plans for the week.  This one will be for today through next Saturday. Just a little aside, I am also doing a Whole30 this month so my dishes will be compliant with sides that might not be.

Fri:  Crockpot chicken fajitas, guac, fresh salsa, cheese, cilantro, wraps (over lettuce for me without cheese)

Sat: Egg Roll in a bowl with rice for anyone who wants it

Sun: Pork Roast, roasted brussel spouts

Mon: Chicken Pot Pie soup, salad, and dinner roll for those who want it

Tues: Curried chicken and veggies over rice or cauliflower rice

Weds: Garlic shrimp and veggies over rice (greens for me)

Thurs: Roasted Chicken with sweet potatoes and broc

Fri:  leftovers

Sat: Chili

Breakfast for the week is whatever dh makes for the kids and I'll stick to a variation of eggs on top of greens

Lunch: made to order sandwiches for kids.  I'm going to make enough mondays soup for me to eat it for the week.  There will be enough chicken fajitas for me to use that to make lunches for tomorrow 

• Like 4

Just now, historically accurate said:

Getting bags of donations out of my house always makes me feel good.

Yes me too.  I had been holding on to all the kids clothes from when my oldest was born.  I kept meaning to sell them.  At this point it is just so overwhelming to do that so I am just getting rid of them all.  I outfitted a foster family with stuff for the kids.  But the rest I am just getting out.  I have SOOO much more to do even though I have gotten rid of a ton in the last few weeks.  But little by little.  My mom outfitted bought all this and she was a crazy shopper and bought way to much.  I am keeping some baby clothes just because they bring so many memories.  

• Like 3

Didn’t spend a penny on the first day of the year! Lol.

Might consider buying a house today. It’s overpriced and listed “as is”, but also “motivated seller”. We’ve become quite handy, but I’ve also grown enough to put a reasonable price tag on my time and effort.  If they’re really willing to entertain an appropriate offer... maybe?

Also weighing the risk:benefit of allowing dd and a friend to rent our current house. On the surface, it’s absolutely ideal.  The fact that they’re young adults subject to whims as well as legitimate rapid life changes? Not so much.

I need to go through the fridge, freezers, and pantry today before making a grocery order. With all the celebrations (a birthday, Christmas Eve/Day and NYE/D in the course of exactly 14 days) we have a lot of leftovers and “didn’t get to it”s that need to be used.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Might consider buying a house today. It’s overpriced and listed “as is”, but also “motivated seller”. We’ve become quite handy, but I’ve also grown enough to put a reasonable price tag on my time and effort.  If they’re really willing to entertain an appropriate offer... maybe?

Also weighing the risk:benefit of allowing dd and a friend to rent our current house. On the surface, it’s absolutely ideal.  The fact that they’re young adults subject to whims as well as legitimate rapid life changes? Not so much.

I need to go through the fridge, freezers, and pantry today before making a grocery order. With all the celebrations (a birthday, Christmas Eve/Day and NYE/D in the course of exactly 14 days) we have a lot of leftovers and “didn’t get to it”s that need to be used.

Good job not spending on the first day of the year.  I didn't make it. 😞

Fingers crossed on the house!  How exciting.  Did you already go and look at it? 

It's super exciting to buy a house! Hope everything works out for you!!

Today is grocery pickup day and oil change day. I leave for Alabama tomorrow. So I have to finish packing for that. So far, fingers crossed, it looks like we won't run into any weather issues. Plan is drive the super long state of IL on Sunday, make it to Huntsville midday Monday, have lunch & buy groceries, and I turn around and make it as far as I can before I tire out. 

VIPKid paid me $10 to open a slot today, but I didn't see the email until this morning. It let me open one just in the nick of time (like 35 minutes before start time) and it still counts I think. I'll have to check to make sure it credits when I get back. 

I have enough for a $25 gift card from Swagbucks, so I'll order that soon and stash it for my gift fund. I can get Paypal as well, but you get a discount on the first gift card per month. DD's 19th birthday is in Feb, and youngest will be 14 in the beginning of March. I normally buy for them during Christmas shopping time, but I didn't this year, so I'll have to figure that out soon. 

Still waiting for my bank account to be stimulated. Now that I have a plan for the $, I just want it to get here so I can work the plan LOL!

Edited by historically accurate
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Today is grocery pickup day and oil change day. I leave for Alabama tomorrow. So I have to finish packing for that. So far, fingers crossed, it looks like we won't run into any weather issues. Plan is drive the super long state of IL on Sunday, make it to Huntsville midday Monday, have lunch & buy groceries, and I turn around and make it as far as I can before I tire out. 

VIPKid paid me $10 to open a slot today, but I didn't see the email until this morning. It let me open one just in the nick of time (like 35 minutes before start time) and it still counts I think. I'll have to check to make sure it credits when I get back. 

I have enough for a $25 gift card from Swagbucks, so I'll order that soon and stash it for my gift fund. I can get Paypal as well, but you get a discount on the first gift card per month. DD's 19th birthday is in Feb, and youngest will be 14 in the beginning of March. I normally buy for them during Christmas shopping time, but I didn't this year, so I'll have to figure that out soon. 

Still waiting for my bank account to be stimulated. Now that I have a plan for the $, I just want it to get here so I can work the plan LOL!

Have a safe trip. 

Good job getting all the little bits of money.    It really is important and it adds up so fast. 

I hope you get the stimulus soon.  You are already ahead of the game with a plan.  You are off to a great start in the New Year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Stimulus money was in our account this morning! It is quite a bit, $4200, and we'll get the babies portion of both stimulus checks at tax time.  I'm going to use now to fill some sinking funds but one of those is going to be a fund for supporting small businesses.  

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Stimulus money was in our account this morning! It is quite a bit, $4200, and we'll get the babies portion of both stimulus checks at tax time.  I'm going to use now to fill some sinking funds but one of those is going to be a fund for supporting small businesses.  

Yay, glad you got yours. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

Ours showed up the other night, not as pending but still dated 1/4. I think that’s weird!  It’s sitting still until we figure out exactly how much we’re going to put where.  I wasn’t certain of the dollar amount we’d be getting.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

We did not make it a single day without spending money.  Thankfully it was money well spent for the most part.  $70 on a new to us microwave(it is huge compared to our old one.)  $12 on sneakers for ds7, who desperately needed them.  $15 on candy (this I could do without but it is a tradition for the kids to go to a candy kiosk that is only around during the holidays to spend some christmas money on 75% off candy that they pay for by the pound.  This year they didn't get their christmas money from my dad because he is in AL, they'll get it at Easter he said.  So, we just paid for the candy ourselves because 2020 has brought enough disappointment, we weren't going to ruin one of their favorite traditions. Only difference this time was we didn't all go, just dh and the 2 older boys.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, historically accurate said:

safe travels!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Good job not spending on the first day of the year.  I didn't make it. 😞

Fingers crossed on the house!  How exciting.  Did you already go and look at it? 

Just got back a little bit ago and changed my clothes.  It was disgusting!!!  
Saved all my money, lol.

I can’t even begin to imagine what was going through the seller’s mind. It needs SO much more work than the almost-same floor plan we looked at last time, but this one goes beyond just cosmetic, unlike the other one. And it’s on less than half the land. And yet it’s listed 15% higher.  The owners purchased it for not much more than 50% of the listing price and did not do many impressive updates.  🤷‍♀️ 

Took dh’s car, so gas didn’t come out of my budget. 😆 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Saved all my money, lol.

I can’t even begin to imagine what was going through the seller’s mind. It needs SO much more work than the almost-same floor plan we looked at last time, but this one goes beyond just cosmetic, unlike the other one. And it’s on less than half the land. And yet it’s listed 15% higher.  The owners purchased it for not much more than 50% of the listing price and did not do many impressive updates.  🤷‍♀️ 

those type of sellers are the worst.  Even if somehow they miraculously realized their house was worth a ton less than they listed it for, they'd make the selling process hell with their unrealistic expectations of their house. When we were house hunting, we found this great house for us and 100% knew it was a fixer upper, it would have likely needed a construction loan because their was a small structural issue.  They were asking $250,000, more than what it would be worth in move in ready condition.  We estimated it was only worth $150,000 in its current state so we offered that.  It had already been on the market for 8 months and was just getting worse.  They countered at $200,000.  We stood firm and the rejected the offer.  6 months later they sold it for $140,000.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Saved all my money, lol.

Oh no, that doesn't sound good.  A huge savings at least.  Go with your gut for sure.   I bet they were just trying to take advantage of the market.  I think some sellers have rose colored glasses on when it comes to their home.  

Fingers crossed you find your home soon.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

those type of sellers are the worst.  Even if somehow they miraculously realized their house was worth a ton less than they listed it for, they'd make the selling process hell with their unrealistic expectations of their house. When we were house hunting, we found this great house for us and 100% knew it was a fixer upper, it would have likely needed a construction loan because their was a small structural issue.  They were asking $250,000, more than what it would be worth in move in ready condition.  We estimated it was only worth $150,000 in its current state so we offered that.  It had already been on the market for 8 months and was just getting worse.  They countered at $200,000.  We stood firm and the rejected the offer.  6 months later they sold it for $140,000.

Making a mental note of this for when we are looking again. 

• Like 1

Target is 90% holiday stuff today. 

Up to 90% Off Target Christmas Clearance | Apparel, Toys, Candy, Cosmetics & More - Hip2Save

Hjffkj~ how did your rock wall for the kids go? 

Spent the day going through clothes again.  🙂     Contacted the foster family and I am going to give them more stuff.   The rest is just going to donation. 

Dh spent the day setting up the new trampoline in the basement.  We had one and it had a hole in it, so we got rid of it.      I have a mini trampoline upstairs for me that the kids have been getting out a lot of use out of.  But the bigger one will be good for my youngest.  Here is to hoping it will help them burn energy this winter.   

Maybe selling something on CL

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3

Had some time to sit down and figure out where the stimulus money is going.  I transferred $1000 into my Roth IRA to finish off maxing out 2020 contributions.  I disbursed $2000 into sinking funds.  Fully funded gifts(doesn't include Christmas)  and car maintenance  for the year.  Every other sinking fund got a little bit of what was left over.  

So, that leaves $1200 of the stimulus not set for anything specific.  We are going to just have it sit in our bank account while we figure out how much we want to spend on local businesses and how much we want to go towards other financial goals.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hjffkj said:

Yes! Very similar to that. I’m going to continue stalking it to see what eventually happens, lol.
From the pictures, I was expecting to eventually want a modest kitchen remodel, but be able to live with it for a while (and consider that in the price.). I’ve painted cabinets before. I’ve lived with tile I didn’t like.  NBD, right?  Except some of the cabinets were stuck closed with stickiness. The first cabinet I opened had food in it. (The house is not lived in.) The refrigerator had food spills left in it. The oven’s “clear” panel was not even close to clear. Everything was grimy.

That’s all before getting into all the mold growth and multiple areas of water damage. Or the strange crater in the backyard.  Or lots of wall cracks.  As prepared as I was for finding a diamond in the rough, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an empty house that was so filthy on so many different levels.

We’re contemplating building and can get the same amount of space brand spanking new for about $5k more (before upgrades.) I just don’t want to have to!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

@Carrie12345 since you are looking for a house and just looked at a house that was much worse than what you thought from pics I'll tell you my favorite story during our house hunt.

At one point during the house hunt we were considering looking for a property that could accommodate my family, 2 siblings' movies, and my parents.  I found this great looking 16 acre property that already had two houses on it and a stable that could easily have been converted to a small house for my parents.   That just left one more area for a sibling.  The pictures that were shown online showed both houses exterior, the stable, a barn in good condition, some shots of the many acres, and a shot of a beautiful kitchen.  So, I just figured there weren't many interior pictures because they were really highlighting the land, which was desirable but thought selling a property with two houses on it would be too much of a niche market to try to highlight both.

Boy was I wrong.  The 16 acres was absolutely beautiful.  The exterior of both houses were well maintained.  We went to the smaller of the two houses first (not the one with a picture of the kitchen.)  When we went inside it was completely gutted.  There was nothing, not even drywall.  We thought, 'that's fine. it gives us a blank slate and seeing behind the walls is great with such an old farmhouse.  

On to the next house, a nicely maintain ranch with basement and a picture of a nice kitchen.  We walk in and immediately see the nice kitchen, which is nice.  But it is surrounded by complete filth.  The dining room has an old nasty carpet that leads into the living room which had stains all over the walls (not from smoking,)  The bedrooms are all filthy but nothing on the first floor seems like anything but cosmetic issues.  So, at this point we are perplexed by the condition but knowing 4 families are purchasing this together it still isn't a complete wash. 

So, we head into the basement.  Big mistake.  That beautiful ranch house was built on the lowest part of the entire 16 acres and the walls of the basement show it.  The foundation was bowing so much on one side of the house we were scared to go to stay down there.  

Then just for the heck of it we check out the stable, which turns out to be the easiest of all the projects if we want to convert it to a house. ultimately, the price was about $300,000 too high for what needed to get done to turn it all around, so we passed.

The end of the story, we bought a beautiful house in a great neighborhood not too far from that house.  Our neighbors friend bought that property with their brother and was in the process of fixing both houses up for themselves.  Our neighbor had toured it right after they had closed on the house so it was really fun to talk great details about what they were planning on doing with it.  Not sure of the progress though.  

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

Made a pick up order for Ulta as I had a $5 off $10 coupon and my mascara was much in need of replacement. I was happy to find they have no minimums for pick-up orders.

Dh has decided he doesn't want to build a box for ds' speakers, he was going to do that to save some money. He said it is worth his time to go in halves with ds to buy the box. That will be $57.

Need to work on menu, aiming for easy to make food, easy on my belly.

Dh got called in to work for a bit.

I am paying auto insurance today for 6 months which will meet my minimum requirements for a new CC and get a $200 bonus.

Our stimulus was nearly all allocated to the efund.

One of my spring projects was getting a new vanity and cabinet for my basement bathroom. When we finished it we didn't have much money, so the one in there is not very ice and comically small for the space. It is my biggest bathroom and can fit a 7 ft vanity but only has a 2.5 ft one. I have very little storage space and could really use a bigger cabinet for linens and such. Dh wants to go ahead and do it now while he is off and has the time as he has to move some pipes as well as install it. It would mean the delay of filling some sinking funds I planned to top off this month. But it is looking to cost more then last I priced it (as these things go) and I can't figure out how to do it exactly as I want(I wanted a certain size cabinet that I cannot find at all) and I really want to make sure it is right this time so I don't want to do it a 3rd time. So, I'm torn between not wanting to spend too much and get it the way I want and not finding any solution I love. Dh has volunteered to build a cabinet the size I want. But I'm a little apprehensive. He has little time and things always take way longer than planned, besides the fact that this type of work is not his forte.

Edited by Soror
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Soror said:

Made a pick up order for Ulta as I had a $5 off $10 coupon and my mascara was much in need of replacement. I was happy to find they have no minimums for pick-up orders.

Dh has decided he doesn't want to build a box for ds' speakers, he was going to do that to save some money. He said it is worth his time to go in halves with ds to buy the box. That will be $57.

Need to work on menu, aiming for easy to make food, easy on my belly.

Dh got called in to work for a bit.

I am paying auto insurance today for 6 months which will meet my minimum requirements for a new CC and get a $200 bonus.

Our stimulus was nearly all allocated to the efund.

One of my spring projects was getting a new vanity and cabinet for my basement bathroom. When we finished it we didn't have much money, so the one in there is not very ice and comically small for the space. It is my biggest bathroom and can fit a 7 ft vanity but only has a 2.5 ft one. I have very little storage space and could really use a bigger cabinet for linens and such. Dh wants to go ahead and do it now while he is off and has the time as he has to move some pipes as well as install it. It would mean the delay of filling some sinking funds I planned to top off this month. But it is looking to cost more then last I priced it (as these things go) and I can't figure out how to do it exactly as I want(I wanted a certain size cabinet that I cannot find at all) and I really want to make sure it is right this time so I don't want to do it a 3rd time. So, I'm torn between not wanting to spend too much and get it the way I want and not finding any solution I love. Dh has volunteered to build a cabinet the size I want. But I'm a little apprehensive. He has little time and things always take way longer than planned, besides the fact that this type of work is not his forte.

Have you travel hacking for your Europe trip?   It really works and is easy.  We have saved thousands doing it. 

• Like 1

Have you travel hacking for your Europe trip?   It really works and is easy.  We have saved thousands doing it. 

Trying to do some. I've been trying to follow different sites to get more info. 

Some it requires a level of coordination that I'm not sure I can pull off and some of them spend significantly more than we do, which of course racks up points more quickly. I'm learning a bit here and there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soror said:

Trying to do some. I've been trying to follow different sites to get more info. 

Some it requires a level of coordination that I'm not sure I can pull off and some of them spend significantly more than we do, which of course racks up points more quickly. I'm learning a bit here and there.

Cool.  I always thought it was a scam and then finally did it.  It has paid for 4 international trips for our entire family.  Plus I have tons of airline and hotel points currently.  I am hoping that we can use them next year, as this summer doesn't look likely.  I wish we would have started sooner. 

• Like 1

Frugal win of the day: dh has been wanting a coffee table in the living room for awhile and I've been checking fb marketplace periodically with little success. Today I remembered there is a nice unfinished tv stand at my parents house that is supposed to make it to our house at some point or go to goodwill if no one else wants it. The legs are removable so with no legs it will be the perfect size and height for our needs. $0!

• Like 7

Cool.  I always thought it was a scam and then finally did it.  It has paid for 4 international trips for our entire family.  Plus I have tons of airline and hotel points currently.  I am hoping that we can use them next year, as this summer doesn't look likely.  I wish we would have started sooner. 

I see lots of people doing well with it. I'm trying to learn more and apply what I learn as I go. We can only do so much as our income and expenses aren't that high and dh doesn't do business travel racking up easy points that way but I'm trying to learn how to maximize the benefits for what we do spend. My goal for vaca is financing it but catching good deals on flights and using AirBnB as we did last time but I'm hoping by the time we plan to travel I'll have learned more and be able to do it even more cheaply.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Soror said:

I see lots of people doing well with it. I'm trying to learn more and apply what I learn as I go. We can only do so much as our income and expenses aren't that high and dh doesn't do business travel racking up easy points that way but I'm trying to learn how to maximize the benefits for what we do spend. My goal for vaca is financing it but catching good deals on flights and using AirBnB as we did last time but I'm hoping by the time we plan to travel I'll have learned more and be able to do it even more cheaply.

It for sure is a learning curve.  The people who are really good at it and been doing it for years are able to do things I totally don't even understand.  You kind of have to learn as you go and you get better.  I look back and wish I wouldn't have done things with the first points we got and took all the kids to Europe.  I could have used the points in a much better way.  

• Like 1

Dh is going to buy a water heater. It was on the list of needing to be replaced soon. Today the element went out and the circuit panel in the bottom (or something like that). Dh could replace them both but we decided to go ahead and replace the whole thing. At 21 years it is only a matter of time and if we wait and it goes kaput and leaks all over the basement it will end up costing much more. The one we are getting is on sale $50 and is a fair amount cheaper than I had planned for so he is going to go ahead and get the PEX pipe equipment, he's been meaning to switch over for ages but it is more expensive to start and he has put it off. I told him might as well do it now, we should still come in under budget or close to it and it will be much less plumbing work for him. He's using my other new CC and that should meet my minimum spend for another $200 cash back(that will also go towards the vaca fund). I would have hit it by the end of the month anyway but that gets us there sooner.

I've decided I want to hold off on the bathroom basement vanity. I'd rather wait and shop around used. I think if I keep an eye out I could easily get it for about 1/2 the cost. It can wait until this summer when he is on school break again, that gives me a long time to find something.

I found some end tables and coffee tables on Marketplace and am waiting to hear the dimensions of them. They are on my list to replace as mine were cheap and are not holding together well (dh had to screw the coffee table back together after the bottom fell out). These are wood and in budget from my Christmas cash from my parents. We'll see.

• Like 2