Menu

January Frugalistas 2021

mommyoffive

6 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Holy Cow, I am stunned.  The houses in my small neighborhood are booming, and it is really crazy.  We bought in 2006 and then the market collapsed.  We were underwater for years.  The neighborhood was half built.   A bunch of the houses foreclosed and were sold for 100k under what they were priced in 2006.  

The prices have been rising for a few years, and we so happy when our value returned.  Then houses started selling for more than what we paid.  Just a few months (October) ago we saw the highest prices in our streets since 2006.  Another house went on the market down the street and had an offer in less than 3 days.  This house is listed for for 25k more than the top price of the houses on our street 2 months ago.  On the one hand, I think we should sell, NOW.  The other hand I am not happy because it means our tax bill goes up.   

The price is nuts, and it isn't even that nice of a house.  I have to watch this to see how much it sells for. 

Very similar over here. We paid $165 in 2005 for our little 3/2.  At one point after the bust, a 5/3.5 center hall colonial down the street went for $120, so we were SUNK-sunk. Everything around us was foreclosed, first for bum mortgages, and then for people regretting their “cheap” move that came with a nightmare commute.
This winter, a house very similar to ours (but with a 1-car garage) sold for $200. It’s like whiplash.  We’ll see how many city folk regret it this time, though all the new telecommuting might make it better if it sticks.

On the bright side (for us) our area rarely does reassessments, and they just did one last year where our taxes went down. So it probably won’t be redone again until after things calm down again. Or I’m totally wrong and the added pressure on our schools will trigger one sooner.

• Like 2

$79.14 in groceries last night, but I thought I had added a couple of things to the order only to discover that I hadn’t submitted them. Nothing terribly important, but I’m annoyed with myself.

I drove to 3 different places in 3 completely different directions yesterday, which is probably the most I’ve driven in ages, so I’m not going to be very happy at the gas station.

I had ordered 5 more of my favorite masks and they were marked delivered to our group mailboxes on 1//5, but of course they weren’t in my mailbox. I submitted all the info to USPS online a few days ago, but still have a few days of waiting before I can submit the follow up claim. I stupidly put the value as the price I paid, without accounting for the 60% off deal I got. I had just looked at the charge on my card instead of the actual receipt. So that stinks as far as replacement goes.

I also forgot that our vet has upped the cat’s thyroid check ups to every 6 months, which happens to be this month! Fortunately, the visits only run about $40-60 and his meds aren’t due for a refill, so it isn’t too terrible.

• Like 3

Dh spent $139 on a truck part this morning, some part he'd replaced one side of this fall and is now doing the other side. He bought the last at the dealership it was $241, this time he ordered from Rock Auto- paid $30 for expedited shipping, had a 5% coupon and it is $100 cheaper. It pays to shop around. I don't think I have any other spending today.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, hjffkj said:

😞 our dishwasher seems to be broken.  If we start the cycle it just it will make noise like it is running but it won't actually run. So, it ran for maybe 2 hours tonight before I realized that it should have been done already.  Opened it up and nothing was clean or even wet

I hope it isn't broken beyond repair. 

My washer is making noises during the rinse cycle but it is still running. When I get the funds saved I'll probably need to go ahead and replace it, hoping it lasts that long. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, hjffkj said:

😞 our dishwasher seems to be broken.  If we start the cycle it just it will make noise like it is running but it won't actually run. So, it ran for maybe 2 hours tonight before I realized that it should have been done already.  Opened it up and nothing was clean or even wet

Oh man I am sorry.  You have had so many things happen.  That really sucks. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Very similar over here. We paid $165 in 2005 for our little 3/2.  At one point after the bust, a 5/3.5 center hall colonial down the street went for $120, so we were SUNK-sunk. Everything around us was foreclosed, first for bum mortgages, and then for people regretting their “cheap” move that came with a nightmare commute.
This winter, a house very similar to ours (but with a 1-car garage) sold for $200. It’s like whiplash.  We’ll see how many city folk regret it this time, though all the new telecommuting might make it better if it sticks.

On the bright side (for us) our area rarely does reassessments, and they just did one last year where our taxes went down. So it probably won’t be redone again until after things calm down again. Or I’m totally wrong and the added pressure on our schools will trigger one sooner.

Oh wow.  Are you still looking to move? 

• Like 1

I've cut the groceries down by almost 50% in spite of not being able to get to Aldi and having to shop at my regular grocery store. I started my second week of this little gem: https://www.amazon.com/Cook-Once-Eat-All-Week/dp/1628603437/ref=sr_1_3?crid=G913WM7FKHD8&dchild=1&keywords=cook+once+eat+all+week+cookbook+spiral+bound&qid=1610462631&sprefix=cook+once+%2Caps%2C193&sr=8-3

• Like 4

Jumping on. My spending habits aren't terrible, but they could be shored up.

My biggest expense this month is having my two teens wisdom teeth removed. One is only $350, but the other is $1,000 because he needs the anesthesiologist there during surgery.

Plus I need to return two Xmas gifts that didn't work. One I assumed I could return to the UPS store, but no, now it has to go to Kohls. When did this change happen? We don't have an easy to access Kohls. 😒

• Like 3

9 hours ago, hjffkj said:

How old is it?  It could be as simple as the water pump needs a clean out or you need a new one.  That could be anywhere from 50-160 depending on the model.   I did one not too long ago and it was very easy. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

Jumping on. My spending habits aren't terrible, but they could be shored up.

My biggest expense this month is having my two teens wisdom teeth removed. One is only $350, but the other is $1,000 because he needs the anesthesiologist there during surgery.

Plus I need to return two Xmas gifts that didn't work. One I assumed I could return to the UPS store, but no, now it has to go to Kohls. When did this change happen? We don't have an easy to access Kohls. 😒

Oh wow, both of your kids are doing it this month?  Is it at the same time?  I guess that is better to get it done with at one time.   I hope it goes(went) well and the recovery is easy for both of them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So now I am back on the maybe we should move train.  Ugh.  I just wish we knew where we should live.  It would make it 100% easier.  Also there isn't a lot out there.  New construction is easier and I would love that.  But the places where those are options don't make sense for commuting reasons.   We could buy land and build on our own, but I am afraid of doing that honestly.

48 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

How old is it?  It could be as simple as the water pump needs a clean out or you need a new one.  That could be anywhere from 50-160 depending on the model.   I did one not too long ago and it was very easy. 

not sure.  it came with the house. It has a dial to turn it on, do they still make those? dh has been working on it all morning trying to clear gunk out of it. we'll go step by step troubleshooting.  But after looking at current models I might not mind so much if it is broken. The third rack looks appealing.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

So now I am back on the maybe we should move train.  Ugh.  I just wish we knew where we should live.  It would make it 100% easier.  Also there isn't a lot out there.  New construction is easier and I would love that.  But the places where those are options don't make sense for commuting reasons.   We could buy land and build on our own, but I am afraid of doing that honestly.

Fwiw, my BTDT from having lived somewhere where we had to drive everywhere to now living where everything is close by—-give up the commute. Life is short and you don’t get that time back. Housing also tends to appreciate more in vibrant towns, so while it may cost more to buy in, in the long haul you get a nicer return.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Fwiw, my BTDT from having lived somewhere where we had to drive everywhere to now living where everything is close by—-give up the commute. Life is short and you don’t get that time back. Housing also tends to appreciate more in vibrant towns, so while it may cost more to buy in, in the long haul you get a nicer return.

I agree giving up the commute would be amazing.  

Here is our problem, we live in a University town that we really like.  Small, safe, really affordable university, diverse, in a scenic area, and on and on.  Our kids are getting close to college age and we thought it would make financial sense if they went to this University if we lived here.  

Problem is that dh works at least 2 or 2.5 hours roundtrip  away, and more of his industry is in that area.  Now since Covid he has only gone into work less than 5 times total.  So do we really need to live close to his work? 

Third problem, my kids are pre-pro ballet students.  There isn't anything but park and rec dance in our area.  The ballet school they have been attending is at least 2 or 2.5 hours roundtrip away.  Before Covid we were doing that 6 or 7 days a week.  That is the opposite direction from dh's work. 

Now there are 2 other ballet schools. One about 30 mins from us, but my kids were not a huge fan of the owner.  The other is near dh's work.  But it their friends are at the other one.  They both have different pros and cons about being at one school or the other.  

So yeah, that is why we are conflicted about it. 

I do need to keep your last point in mind. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, both of your kids are doing it this month?  Is it at the same time?  I guess that is better to get it done with at one time.   I hope it goes(went) well and the recovery is easy for both of them. 

Thank you MommyofFive! One was in early Jan. and the second is at the end of Jan. I did them separately with braces too. Easier in every way.

W.

• Like 1

Just now, Alicia64 said:

Thank you MommyofFive! One was in early Jan. and the second is at the end of Jan. I did them separately with braces too. Easier in every way.

W.

Is it?   Oh no.  My oldest was probably ready for braces last year.  They were waiting for one more tooth to fully come in.  I was hoping that I could have a few in braces at the same time, to double up appointments.  Not sure if my next 2 are ready or not.  We haven't been to the ortho in over a year.  But maybe this is a mistake? 

2 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh no.  I didn't know you were already working with an agent.  Is that helpful at all?   Are they thinking that there is going to be more inventory in spring? 

We actually put in an offer on a house in the beginning of December, so we had called her up to get us in on that one. We got beat out by an all cash offer, and the sellers were already moved out, so I guess they figured that would be faster.

She doesn’t really have any more insight than anyone else.  So much is going to depend on what happens with eviction moratoriums and mortgage forbearances if/when those run out, and whether or not there’s a second wave of city people coming back with competition again. Right now, there’s no telling how those things are going to go.

She’s actually getting in my way now, but I do want someone working for me on negotiations and contracts.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is it?   Oh no.  My oldest was probably ready for braces last year.  They were waiting for one more tooth to fully come in.  I was hoping that I could have a few in braces at the same time, to double up appointments.  Not sure if my next 2 are ready or not.  We haven't been to the ortho in over a year.  But maybe this is a mistake? 

I've had multiple kids in braces at one time (#1 and #2 overlapped. #2 and # 3 overlapped, #3 and #4 overlapped.  right now #5 might escape without needing them and #6 is still too young).  But we had periods where each of them was the only one has well.  I can't say I noticed any difference between one at a time or 2.  We always scheduled appointments together and on top of it when ortho is due close to their cleanings, they make sure to get them together too.  So it was not at all uncommon to have a block for 4-5 kids to get cleaning and then 1 or 2 would cross the hall to get their ortho checks done at the same time.  Personally, other than the cost factor of having multiples in braces at once, I would never deliberately try to only do one at a time.  I'd much rather have multiples at once to save the number of trips to the ortho.

• Like 2

New EOB shows I still owe $105 to dentist for ds' Dec root canal as we met the max of benefits. I had thought this was likely. Now we'll see if they write any of that off. Even if I have to pay that it is still cheaper than the endodontist. 

Trying to make of list for any groceries I have forgotten.  

I finally got someone to get back to me about the darn shed!!  Only replacement of shed and they gave me a rough estimate but are writing up an official estimate for me to send to insurance. Still need to find someone to give a quote for hauling old one away.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh no.  I didn't know you were already working with an agent.  Is that helpful at all?   Are they thinking that there is going to be more inventory in spring? 

I'm guessing it's just preference whether you do everyone's braces at once vs. separately. I just do better when I can focus heavily on one kid at a time. I know me.

I get confused easily! 😅

Wendy

• Like 2

The shed estimate is $11,000. So, in all with removal of tree, tear down and removal of shed the cost I'm getting is roughly $13,400 not including the replacement of damaged items because we're still working on that.  So, it looks like it was certainly worth filing a claim.

I'm going to wait on the adjuster to see what he comes up with.  I really hope he gets that out to me soon

• Like 3

Just now, hjffkj said:

The shed estimate is $11,000. So, in all with removal of tree, tear down and removal of shed the cost I'm getting is roughly $13,400 not including the replacement of damaged items because we're still working on that.  So, it looks like it was certainly worth filing a claim.

I'm going to wait on the adjuster to see what he comes up with.  I really hope he gets that out to me soon

Oh yeah!  That is a lot of $.  Hoping they cover everything and send you a check.  This is your insurance you are going through right? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mommyoffive said:

Oh yeah!  That is a lot of $.  Hoping they cover everything and send you a check.  This is your insurance you are going through right? 

no these are the independent quotes I got.  Our adjuster hasn't finished with his estimate.  If it is far off from what I got with my own leg work I'll submit these estimates and argue for more.  But all my research shows that the estimates I got are accurate so I don't expect the adjuster to be way off. we'll see

• Like 2

Our school bus delivered lunches may soon become inaccessible to us. Our district is planning to start K-2 hybrid classes next month and the buses currently delivering meals will be used to bus students instead.

It’s not worth it to drive daily at a certain time to pick up food. As it is, the meal pickup is entirely outdoors. Under the new system, I would have to pick up inside of a building. Time + gas + exposure = no go for me.

• Sad 1

Our school bus delivered lunches may soon become inaccessible to us. Our district is planning to start K-2 hybrid classes next month and the buses currently delivering meals will be used to bus students instead.

It’s not worth it to drive daily at a certain time to pick up food. As it is, the meal pickup is entirely outdoors. Under the new system, I would have to pick up inside of a building. Time + gas + exposure = no go for me.

Oh that's a bummer!  I really like the drive up and pick up outside model but I'm sure for the workers it's not nearly as much fun.

I just got back from picking ours up and they are now including 7 breakfasts and 5 lunches.  No idea why the change.  My kids much prefer the lunches to the breakfasts but hey, it's free.  Although we did laugh at the idea of getting even MORE milk.  We have so much extra milk and have been getting less and less each week.  If we took all the milk we'd be getting 56 of those space hogging boxes each week.  As it is, I'm struggling to deal with all the extra recyclables.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Oh that's a bummer!  I really like the drive up and pick up outside model but I'm sure for the workers it's not nearly as much fun.

I just got back from picking ours up and they are now including 7 breakfasts and 5 lunches.  No idea why the change.  My kids much prefer the lunches to the breakfasts but hey, it's free.  Although we did laugh at the idea of getting even MORE milk.  We have so much extra milk and have been getting less and less each week.  If we took all the milk we'd be getting 56 of those space hogging boxes each week.  As it is, I'm struggling to deal with all the extra recyclables.  

I just got back from getting ours too.  It seems like every area sets theirs up differently.  In our small town there are about 8 or 10 different places you can pick up.  They only do 5 lunches and 5 breakfast.  They do the little milk boxes now.  Over summer it was half galloons which was a lot easier to store.  They are inside, but just right in the front door and I am the only one there picking up.  We are both masking with less than a minute of being around each other.  

They have an online ordering form where you put in your order for the week.  You can pick up everyday, once a week, or however else you want.   The meals are a lot better than summer and a ton more food.   They have the menus online so you can see what each day's food is.  If you go everyday you get different meals.  If you do a bulk pick up for multiple days you get 2 (or more) of the same meals.  It is saving us so much $ and our fridge, freezer, and shelves are so full.

They are sending a new humidifier to me.   I guess I am a happy about it, but I just bought another one, because the air was so dry.  

School made another payment for ballet.  It does really help because ballet is stupid expensive. 

3 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I just got back from getting ours too.  It seems like every area sets theirs up differently.  In our small town there are about 8 or 10 different places you can pick up.  They only do 5 lunches and 5 breakfast.  They do the little milk boxes now.  Over summer it was half galloons which was a lot easier to store.  They are inside, but just right in the front door and I am the only one there picking up.  We are both masking with less than a minute of being around each other.  

They have an online ordering form where you put in your order for the week.  You can pick up everyday, once a week, or however else you want.   The meals are a lot better than summer and a ton more food.   They have the menus online so you can see what each day's food is.  If you go everyday you get different meals.  If you do a bulk pick up for multiple days you get 2 (or more) of the same meals.  It is saving us so much $ and our fridge, freezer, and shelves are so full.

Would you mind posting a picture of the contents of the box or linking to your menu sometime?  I'm curious to the differences.  I know you've mentioned before that it was a lot of food and while ours take a lot of space, it's definitely not enough for as many meals as the claim.  Now I know my kids are hearty eaters but even my 7 year old finishes them off faster than they claim, I can't imagine how it could possibly feed an active teenager.  But yes it definitely helps with the budget. We don't use all the milk (some of my kids have milk issues) and we throw away the hot dogs (and repurpose the buns) because my kids hate hot dogs and even the dog was acting sick after we let him try some but otherwise everything they send gets used up one way or another.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Would you mind posting a picture of the contents of the box or linking to your menu sometime?  I'm curious to the differences.  I know you've mentioned before that it was a lot of food and while ours take a lot of space, it's definitely not enough for as many meals as the claim.  Now I know my kids are hearty eaters but even my 7 year old finishes them off faster than they claim, I can't imagine how it could possibly feed an active teenager.  But yes it definitely helps with the budget. We don't use all the milk (some of my kids have milk issues) and we throw away the hot dogs (and repurpose the buns) because my kids hate hot dogs and even the dog was acting sick after we let him try some but otherwise everything they send gets used up one way or another.

Here is one day of meals for one kid

Chicken Fajita w/Pepper Blend Shredded Cheese & Lettuce, Refried Beans, Salsa, Sour Cream, Churro Ring, Peach Cup

That is the the main meal of the lunch, that is packed in a huge take out container that you get take out in and it is filled. 

Then they get a milk, 2 cheese sticks, an apple and a orange, 2 rice crispy treats, and 2 packages of cookies

Breakfast

Sausage waffle breakfast sandwich , piece of pizza, milk, juice box, apple, orange, 2 cheese sticks, and a piece of coffee cake 

There are usually some other things just packed in the side treat bags every time.  

Only have one real teen, but my 4 older kids all eat like adults.   They all are working out a 2-4 hours a day, so they eat a lot.   They all out eat dh and myself and both of us eat a lot.  They lunches could be two meals if you wanted them to be.  I don't let my kids eat all the cookies and treats, they are packing them in the breakfast bags too.  

• Like 2

I hate being in this limbo with the insurance company.  Years ago when we had to file a claim for water damage they came out to assess the damage and wrote a check all in a two week span.  I fear this shed is going to be sitting in our backyard until the Spring.  I could just go ahead and pay someone to haul it off now but I really don't want to pay for anything until I know how much they are covering because I don't want to argue over money after I've already spent it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Chicken Fajita w/Pepper Blend Shredded Cheese & Lettuce, Refried Beans, Salsa, Sour Cream, Churro Ring, Peach Cup

That is the the main meal of the lunch, that is packed in a huge take out container that you get take out in and it is filled. 

Then they get a milk, 2 cheese sticks, an apple and a orange, 2 rice crispy treats, and 2 packages of cookies

Breakfast

Sausage waffle breakfast sandwich , piece of pizza, milk, juice box, apple, orange, 2 cheese sticks, and a piece of coffee cake 

There are usually some other things just packed in the side treat bags every time.  

Only have one real teen, but my 4 older kids all eat like adults.   They all are working out a 2-4 hours a day, so they eat a lot.   They all out eat dh and myself and both of us eat a lot.  They lunches could be two meals if you wanted them to be.  I don't let my kids eat all the cookies and treats, they are packing them in the breakfast bags too.  

Wow, you get a lot more food than we do.

If that was our menu for the day, we'd probably get:

Chicken in a container, cheese in a baggie, maybe some salsa, and a tortilla. Then, for veggie/fruit, maybe some corn or a fruit cup. Occasionally, there is a small pack of crackers or a bag of chips. We hardly ever get any dessert; I think they've gotten cookies 2x over the months.

Breakfast sandwich, banana & a juice box. 

A chocolate and a white milk (the little pints) per day. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Chicken in a container, cheese in a baggie, maybe some salsa, and a tortilla. Then, for veggie/fruit, maybe some corn or a fruit cup. Occasionally, there is a small pack of crackers or a bag of chips. We hardly ever get any dessert; I think they've gotten cookies 2x over the months.

They give them way to many desserts.  One time over summer they gave each kid 2 packs of 36 full size bakery cookies.  So I had 10 packs of 36 full sized bakery cookies.   I am a mean mom who doesn't let them eat all of that.  

In the extra bags they normally put in things like a few packages of goldfish crackers, animal crackers, and Sun Chips.  That is on top of everything else already mentioned.   

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I hate being in this limbo with the insurance company.  Years ago when we had to file a claim for water damage they came out to assess the damage and wrote a check all in a two week span.  I fear this shed is going to be sitting in our backyard until the Spring.  I could just go ahead and pay someone to haul it off now but I really don't want to pay for anything until I know how much they are covering because I don't want to argue over money after I've already spent it.

That really stinks.  I hope they get back to you soon. You would think they would want you to get it taken care of ASAP so nobody gets hurt from the shed. 

26 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

This is more of our size of meals. Today for a breakfast/lunch bag we had two cheesy breadsticks (together the size of a deck of cards), a cup of marinara, 5 slices of cucumber (3” length altogether), a cereal bar, a banana, and the two milks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Breakfast

No wonder you keep talking about so much food.  That is way more than what we are getting.

Our boxes aren't completely laid out so I'm never completely sure what is meant for a meal but each week they get one large veggie container (so far it has rotated between a pint of grape tomatoes, a pound of baby carrots, and a pound of chopped iceberg lettuce).  Then there is 2-3 pieces of whole fruit (apples and oranges), 2-3 prepared fruit servings (applesauce, diced peaches, pears, lightly sugared berry cup, craisins), 3 fruit juice cups.

They get a chocolate milk and white milk and a piece of string cheese for each day. 4 breakfast items (why not 5? but we've never had a week with 5 clearly identifiable breakfasts), like a bagel, a muffin, a package of instant oatmeal(only maple flavored), a 3 ounce package of either pancakes or waffles (always maple flavored, we've had many jokes about everything being only  maple flavored), individual servings of cinnamon toast crunch (never seen any other kind of cereal) and for the first time ever we have a package with egg (it's an english muffin with the equivalent of one scrambled egg in a split package)

This weeks lunches, a hot dog/bun with about 1/2 -3/4 cups potato wedges.  

a 4 ounce mini pizza that is about 3 inches across

a cheeseburger.  the bun in standard sized but the meat patty is smaller (maybe 2.5 inches) and doesn't come close to covering the bun and a half a piece of american cheese.  There is a 1/4 c of corn in that package

2 cheese breadsticks (3 inches in length) with a cup of marinara sauce and 1/2 c diced carrots

beef/bean mixture (3/4-1 cup is my best guess) and a package of tortilla chips and a small container of salsa.

I wish I lived close enough to come pick up in your district.  It sounds much more appealing.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, historically accurate said:

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This is more of our size of meals. Today for a breakfast/lunch bag we had two cheesy breadsticks (together the size of a deck of cards), a cup of marinara, 5 slices of cucumber (3” length altogether), a cereal bar, a banana, and the two milks. 

That's definitely the same type/amounts we are getting too.

The breakfast sounds about what my kids would eat sometimes on their own, except no cereal bar as I haven't ever gotten that.  But that lunch sounds small for anyone 10 and up.  My 5 year old would probably still ask for other things too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

No wonder you keep talking about so much food.  That is way more than what we are getting.

Our boxes aren't completely laid out so I'm never completely sure what is meant for a meal but each week they get one large veggie container (so far it has rotated between a pint of grape tomatoes, a pound of baby carrots, and a pound of chopped iceberg lettuce).  Then there is 2-3 pieces of whole fruit (apples and oranges), 2-3 prepared fruit servings (applesauce, diced peaches, pears, lightly sugared berry cup, craisins), 3 fruit juice cups.

They get a chocolate milk and white milk and a piece of string cheese for each day. 4 breakfast items (why not 5? but we've never had a week with 5 clearly identifiable breakfasts), like a bagel, a muffin, a package of instant oatmeal(only maple flavored), a 3 ounce package of either pancakes or waffles (always maple flavored, we've had many jokes about everything being only  maple flavored), individual servings of cinnamon toast crunch (never seen any other kind of cereal) and for the first time ever we have a package with egg (it's an english muffin with the equivalent of one scrambled egg in a split package)

This weeks lunches, a hot dog/bun with about 1/2 -3/4 cups potato wedges.  

a 4 ounce mini pizza that is about 3 inches across

a cheeseburger.  the bun in standard sized but the meat patty is smaller (maybe 2.5 inches) and doesn't come close to covering the bun and a half a piece of american cheese.  There is a 1/4 c of corn in that package

2 cheese breadsticks (3 inches in length) with a cup of marinara sauce and 1/2 c diced carrots

beef/bean mixture (3/4-1 cup is my best guess) and a package of tortilla chips and a small container of salsa.

I wish I lived close enough to come pick up in your district.  It sounds much more appealing.

I like that you get the bulk produce in yours.  

The meals in my area have changed over time.  In summer and spring it was pick up one time for the week.  They provided menus so you had cook times for things.  The lunches were things like hot dogs, meat for sandwiches, and frozen meals.  Now the meals are fresh made (I mean they are probably frozen stuff) but they are warm and made daily by the lunch staff.   Our schools are in person face to face.  I can't remember when they went back, October maybe?  They have shut down some schools sometime for Covid and then reopened.  So this is the same food they are providing in the cafeterias at school.   And the meals have gotten bigger.  Even after they came back from break, the meals are noticeably bigger. 

We used to do summer school in our district and they had the free lunches.  It was always a ton of food and yeah the kids 11 and under would be throwing away so much food because you had to eat it in the cafeteria.  And kids that little are not eating these huge servings of food.  Now the teens they were.  

I wish things were equal in all areas.  I wonder how it gets worked out?  The schools get so much $ and then buy their own things?  

• Like 1