Menu

What gift is causing the most excitement in your house?

Drama Llama

On 12/25/2020 at 8:22 PM, MercyA said:

Okay, here's my little bit of excitement for the day! About four years ago, I posted here asking if anyone remembered what Tinkerbell cologne smelled like. I'm talking about the Tom Fields Tinkerbell cosmetic / bath line for little girls that was sold in the 50's through early 80's. Great pictures here: http://sprinklepuffball.blogspot.com/2010/06/tinkerbell-cosmetics.html

My grandma used to buy Tinkerbell sets for me, and I so wanted to smell them again! However, even partially used bottles of the cologne sometimes sell for $75 and up on eBay and Etsy, when they can be found. 

Recently someone on eBay listed several unopened sets at very reasonable prices. I snagged one, asked my daughter to wrap it and give it to me, and didn't smell it until this morning. It's a cologne and talc set. The cologne has oxidized a little, but when put on, it smells exactly like my childhood!!! I've been smelling my wrist in ecstasy all day. 🙂 

For anyone who is curious, it is baby powdery with some musk and probably a tiny bit of floral. Reminds me a little of Love's Baby Soft, which came later. 🙂 

My great aunt used to get me those (and Heaven Sent/Love's Baby Soft gift sets as I moved into my teens). Brings back memories

The gift that has gotten the most use is the second Switch and Animal crossing, so DD moved off of my island and onto her own. She's been trying to push her way through the tutorials and unlock everything (with a lot of time traveling involved) so she'll be ready for the New Year's event. Her island is MUCH more organized than mine :)

• Like 2

Santa brought a sit & spin that the littles have been fighting for turns on. 

Someone got a Schleich barn that all the kids have been loving.  Even DH spent some time playing with it. 

I made the easiest fudge recipe in the world which DH has been raving over. He declared it to be just like his Grandma’s. It’s just semi-sweet ghiradelli chicolate chips mixed with a can of sweetened condensed milk and 1 tsp vanilla extract, microwave for 30 seconds at a time for the first minute, 15 seconds after that, stir until melted & combined together, pour in a dish lined with parchment, chill until set (about an hour), cut. The whole thing took less than 5 minutes of attention, including cutting it & washing dishes. It’s so much easier than the caramels I made previous years. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 5:25 PM, ScoutTN said:

Well, we don't open til tomorrow, but Ds was very excited about the big, whopper, giant Lego set he ordered today with gift cards/money from extended family. 

We knew this would happen, so we did not get him any Lego! 😉

When do boys who love Lego outgrow it?

Never!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My brother and SIL announced they're expecting again!!!  They've had many fertility issues and this is their third round of IVF after 2 miscarriages.  She's 20 weeks!!!  I'm so prayerful that all goes well at this point and appreciate all prayers for them and their little one.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, ksr5377 said:

My brother and SIL announced they're expecting again!!!  They've had many fertility issues and this is their third round of IVF after 2 miscarriages.  She's 20 weeks!!!  I'm so prayerful that all goes well at this point and appreciate all prayers for them and their little one.

Congrats to them.  Sending lots of prayers their way.

On 12/26/2020 at 6:03 PM, MissLemon said:

Big hit with kiddo has been an Oregon Trail electronic game, of all things. He hasn't even touched the lego kits yet.  Every so often I hear him say "Doh! I died of dysentery!" Lol!

My son got that last Christmas and it has gotten use on and off all year.

My older DS basically won Christmas by getting his younger brother a water rocket.  Younger DS promptly assembled it and dragged it around the house until we could get him somewhere big and open to launch it (didn't feel like retrieving it from a neighbor's yard . . . or a roof).  

And these headphone hangers were a big hit.  I bought one as a last minute gift for our oldest son.  Then when I went to wrap gifts I realized I had accidentally ordered it twice and I had two of them, so oldest DD got one too.  They were both surprisingly excited about them and installed them right away.  

• Like 1

On 12/27/2020 at 7:35 AM, mommyoffive said:

Oh wow, those look awesome.  I haven't ever heard of them.  My ds would have loved that.  Putting that on the list for next year. 

The reviews I read on Amazon mention that they break easily so I was a bit worried to purchase them, as they are on the pricey side. I decided to just give it a chance and I’m so glad I did! I will say that all of the kids and my husband love to watch the show, so that may have contributed to the excitement level. Also, they have some sets that you can get to build your own bot, which would be very fun, too!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kand said:

How much chocolate chips?

The whole bag, I think it was 12 ounces of semi-sweet (the recipe noted to not use milk chocolate, it wouldn't set, but darker chocolate was fine).  And a 14 ounce can of sweetened condensed milk (the recipe specified generic is fine, but make sure the ingredients were only milk and sugar). I added a teaspoon of vanilla extract.  I don't think it called for that but I like the scent even in chocolate.

Stir, microwave 30 seconds, stir, microwave 30 seconds, stir. That might be enough to melt the chocolate and stir till smooth.  If not after that microwave in 15 second intervals only because if it gets too hot it will not have the right texture. If it gets grainy it got too hot.

When it's well combined and smooth, pour into any container you like, but line in parchment first so you can remove it to cut.  Recipe said it should set in one hour, but I went to bed and forgot about it until the next day, so I can't verify that. I found it was easiest to cut with a sturdy butter knife rather than a sharper, thinner knife.

• Like 2

We got a ton of snow this past week.  We splurged and bought the Igloo Tool from Grand Shelters.

I expect each child to have their own igloo by the end of the week. It arrives on Wednesday.  I'm afraid we're going to run out of snow.  Please, imagine my front yard, LOL!

• Like 2