Menu

Thanks.

Scarlett

I don't know the answer, but it's Florida, so I know that their sunshine laws are really good, meaning it should be quite possible. They have really open disclosure of stuff, which is why there are so many "Florida Man" events - It's not that people in Florida are kookier, just that the records of it are more available to the media (or average folks like you, Scarlett) than in a lot of other states.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I was looking for hills borough county court records last week. A girl I went to church with as a teen was murdered not long after I was married and I got to wondering what the person who did it was sentenced to. It was over 20 years ago but I still think of that girl from time to time.

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I was looking for hills borough county court records last week. A girl I went to church with as a teen was murdered not long after I was married and I got to wondering what the person who did it was sentenced to. It was over 20 years ago but I still think of that girl from time to time.

Interesting.  Is the murderer still in jail?

It was the employer's duty to perform a criminal and financial background check before hiring.  If employer failed to do so, perhaps employer has policy against background checks.  Even though you have stated what this person did was horrible, I would think twice about possibly getting someone fired, particularly if he has a family to support in these chaotic times.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, annandatje said:

It was the employer's duty to perform a criminal and financial background check before hiring.  If employer failed to do so, perhaps employer has policy against background checks.  Even though you have stated what this person did was horrible, I would think twice about possibly getting someone fired, particularly if he has a family to support in these chaotic times.

You think I haven't thought twice?  I have had some of this info for a year.  I told no one except my dh because I believe people deserve second chances.  

7 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I found enough newspaper articles to have a good idea of what transpired.  

How long ago was it and was it a crime or crimes that have anything to do with current employment?  Like if his current employment is caring for children and he was convicted of child abuse is one thing.  If he was involved in a in a dispute gone bad murder and that was 30 years ago, that is not affecting employment unless he has since that one conviction , kept getting arrested or arrested and convicted of assaults,

Some crimes are much more likely to be recidivistic.  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Choirfarm3 said:

Also remember that reporting can be biased. We had a case of one of our students. He was a senior and she was a 10th grader. They had sex. Consentual by her account. Parents got mad. He is in jail for indecency with a child. Sex crime. He is black. She is white. Have to wonder if they had been the same race if this would even be an issue. But the papers just played up the sex with a child part.  All that to say, newspaper articles don't tell the whole story.

I would hope this boy  gets a good attorney.  I just checked and TX has Romeo/Juliet laws.  If he is a senior and she is a 10th grader it seems doubtful he is more than 3 years older than her.

Edited by Scarlett

• Scarlett changed the title to Thanks.