Menu

PSA: Shop small if you can

Carol in Cal.

The stock market is doing great, but the little mom and pop stores that are not publicly traded are closing or on the ropes, at least around here.  I’m trying hard to do as much shopping at those as possible.  I have been thinking about which ones I particularly want to survive, and affirmatively trying to think of things I need from them, or will need in the next 6 months.  An iconic restaurant in San Francisco, one that has a ton of important family memories going back generations, just announced that they are closing permanently.  My waxing person went out of business 3 months ago.  Several local Ace hardware stores, which are individually owned affiliates rather than Big Chain stores like Lowes, have closed recently.  A plethora of personal care places and small service shops and one of restaurants have closed permanently.  If we don’t want to wake up after the shut down and find that all of our favorite quirky unusual places to shop are gone, replaced by big chains that can now rise prices as much as they want, we’d better step up.

• Like 9

We make an effort to order from our favorite small shops.  Because quirky is good.  Pretty sure we may lose our hair stylist though.

We are also making an effort to order from our favorite artists and craftspeople.  I grew up in the world of traveling art shows - you know the large, juried arts and high craft shows that will be at convention centers once or twice a year? Or in summer - the  street art shows?  The big, expensive ones, with real art (as opposed to, say, a carnival).  The artists who attend to sell their work depend on that income.  My mother was a metal sculptor who traveled 38 weeks a year to shows. It was her only income, and this would have bankrupted her, I’m sure.  All of my extra aunties and uncles are artists, and I did the same for a few years.  Obviously there are no shows now.  Everyone is dependent upon online sales and struggling.  So ... if you have fond memories of an artist whose piece you love, find his/her website and buy something!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree, but this is what we’ve always done, even before the pandemic. We buy our groceries and household supplies from an employee owned store. I try to limit ordering from Amazon to once or twice a year for obscure hard to find things. We’ve always avoided chain restaurants, especially when traveling. And even it costs more, we buy from independent stores whenever possible, like the kitchen store here.  (I know that’s not possible for everyone, so no judgement). And I think my husband pretty much keeps our two local Ace Hardware stores in business.

We’ve been relatively fortunate here so far in that I’ve only heard about one restaurant we like closing. They were our go to carry out place, even during the pandemic, but unfortunately I think they needed the alcohol and entertainment sales to survive.

We’ve also made donations to a few places either through the store web site or Go Fund Me accounts. The owner of our favorite Lebanese restaurants in a nearby city has been both stabbed and robbed (two separate incidents) in addition to dealing with pandemic restrictions.

Edited by Frances
  • Sad 3

In some cases, it isn't the lack of customers, it is the lack of inventory, that is hurting the small businesses.  I went into a local bike shop this week and their bike inventory was four used adult mountain bikes--that's it.  They did have a few helmets and bike jerseys, but even that inventory was extremely low.  They can't make any revenue if they don't have anything to sell.  The owner said that at first inventory was low because sales had been higher than expected, but now the problem is they can't get inventory.  He said that the bike manufacturers cannot get the parts that they need for the bikes and that he thinks it will be at least a year before their inventory is back to normal. 

• Sad 3

2 minutes ago, Frances said:

I agree, but this is what we’ve always done, even before the pandemic. We buy our groceries and household supplies from an employee owned store. I try to limit ordering from Amazon to once or twice a year for obscure hard to find things. We’ve always avoided chain restaurants, especially when traveling. And even it costs more, we buy from independent stores whenever possible, like the kitchen store here.  (I know that’s not possible for everyone, so no judgement). And I think my husband pretty much keeps our two local Ace Hardware stores in business.

Weve been relatively fortunate here so far in that I’ve only heard about one restaurant we like closing. They were our go to carry out place, even during the pandemic, but unfortunately I think they needed the alcohol and entertainment sales to survive.

Yes, we have always done this too but it’s harder now so I thought it would be worth pointing out.

The quirky one of gift shop that I used to love browsing in has a really poor website, but I’m still trying to shop there.  Ditto my favorite yarn stores.  In order to do this I’m needing to go find them online, ask myself, What can I buy here that I can give to someone?  or What can I buy here that I will use sometime in the next year? And purchase accordingly, instead of looking for something that strikes my fancy in the moment.  For instance, for the yarn stores, I’m looking up yarns that they title but poorly describe on the yarn company websites to check fiber content and weight, and then going back to the yarn store to order them—it’s a pain but the bottom line is, I want those stores around when we all emerge from our collective caves.  I called my hair person and asked her what I could order from her, and then I ordered enough for 4-6 months all at once.  I’m trying to drop chunks of discretionary money in good places that way.  I’m shopping at local ethnic grocery stores more, too, and trying things I didn’t use before.  I have a friend who sells hypoallergenic, lightweight, bright jewelry at craft fairs, and although she has a lousy website I can order her stuff with confidence because I know it’s well made, having seen it in person.  (Featherweight Finery if you want to check it out.)

• Like 2

I have tried to do this as much as possible all along, especially with independent bookstores. We are still getting takeout from some favorite restaurants, but if our numbers get much higher we may have to pause that for a while. I have looked to see if there are any more opportunities to support local businesses. It is a small thing, but we moved and I needed a new ID tag for the dog. I was just going to order from Petco, but looked for a Maine based business and found one that made much more durable tags that look like little medallions. Also, I remembered to check our Maine-based shoe store (ironic, because Maine used to make a good portion of the shoes worn in this country) for the brands I like rather than Zappos. They carried them and I got them in 2 days. 

I love going to the movies, especially at independent theaters. There are three I would like to support. One is a not-for-profit, so I should be able to do that. The other two are privately owned. I hope they don't end up closing.

Farm stands and local food has been something I have supported for years. Took a little while to check out all the options in my area and some of them close after Thanksgiving, but I found two that are open year-round and am thankful for that.

• Like 3

So many of my favorite restaurants have closed permanently.  One, a local bakery that’s survived 80 years, is posting that they can’t last another two weeks of shut down.  They serve baked goods but make their money on breakfasts; and nobody is ordering out breakfast.  There’s very little profit in bread and cookies, which is what they’re selling now.

Even two chain restaurants here have permanently closed.  The small specialty stores that rely on tourism are gone.  It’s really sad.

• Sad 2

I have been trying as much as possible.  Sadly, many locally owned businesses are very lax on their safety and don't require masks and stuff, so it isn't really safe.  We have tried take-out from several locally owned businesses, and support the ones that are doing curbside and pickup only.

• Like 2

I think this is so important. I wasn’t great at it before the pandemic, but I’ve been trying harder lately. We don’t have great shopping and online ordering is so easy. 

I’m impressed with how several of our local businesses have really gotten creative with their online presence. Lots of live Facebook store tours and online sales with curbside pickups, outdoor flower arranging classes in picnic shelters, a Santa shed for outdoor pickups at our local chocolate shop. Lots of local restaurants have gone to family style dinners. They are definitely trying hard!