Menu

Help me sort my feelings out

Not_a_Number

Edit: Deleted quote

So don't stick to homeschoolers. It's a big city. I happen to know of, pre-pandemic, multiple game stores that host special sessions for kids, not to mention the libraries which do the same thing and also often have D&D clubs, and book clubs... it doesn't even have to cost any money. Start with the NYPL and branch out from there.

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

I didn't see everything before you deleted for privacy, but my general impression is...  this woman is toxic.  It may be a temporary state brought on by stress or it may be that she's finally showing you who she is.  And unfortunately toxic moms tend to have toxic kids. So I'd block her and write her off in my mind.  I'm sorry that she isn't the person you hoped.

As far as what happens when DD can go back, it's too early to know.  The world might change quite a bit by the time you can go back, whether this woman changes or not.

2 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Edit: Deleted quote

So don't stick to homeschoolers. It's a big city. I happen to know of, pre-pandemic, multiple game stores that host special sessions for kids, not to mention the libraries which do the same thing and also often have D&D clubs, and book clubs... it doesn't even have to cost any money. Start with the NYPL and branch out from there.

DD8 is quite social, but not very into having close friends. So for her, unfortunately, having daytime things was really important to getting her to like homeschooling. She loved having playtime that was less structured than at school. 

I would have been perfectly happy to just stick to rarer things with closer friends, but it wasn't what she wanted. 

1 hour ago, Katy said:

And unfortunately toxic moms tend to have toxic kids.

Hmmm. I didn't think about that. Her kiddo is a sweet little boy last I checked. I liked having him in my class. But I guess that's an interesting question... what in the world is he learning about the pandemic right now with a mom who thinks it's the flu, and she already had it anyway (in January, if you're wondering!), and anyway not very many people are sick, and she can't live in fear, you know. 

7 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If I recall my own past correctly, you're kind of at peak mama drama.  I'm not sure why the parents of preschoolers and early elementary students are such carnivorous monsters....I think they are still under the illusion that if they provide the perfect lifestyle to their children that their children will become perfect scholars and athletes and be admitted to Harvard at 12 and that their children's success is reflective of their parenting abilities  Once their kids start to hit puberty, that idealism kinda gets a bit tarnished and the mama drama eases up a bit. 

Hang in there.

OMG, yes, this Puberty is the great equalizer. Sometimes though the drama will last through high school if both moms are on their first kids.

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

He's probably little enough that he's an uncritical consumer of the worldview...

Maybe. But I would not be surprised if somewhere in his head he knows that something isn't adding up.  He doesn't know exactly what is off, but I bet he knows something big and weird is going on. "Mom says covid is no big deal, but the whole city has shut down and everyone is wearing a mask."    

He may not figure it out until he's older, but eventually he's going to get curious and want to resolve that conflict.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Anyone remember this thread? :D About not being sure I want to go back to our homeschooling center because our ex-friend teaches there? (I know I deleted a lot of details, but in case this sparks anyone's memory.) 

That's the person who's saying I threatened to sic CPS on her, lol. You see why I was worried about going back?? :D 

In the meantime, we started a hybrid online/in-person co-op which DD9 loves, and while she's excited to go back to our center for some class sometime, she no longer feels like it's THE thing she misses about homeschooling. 

But y'all see why I was worried? :D 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 6

Talking about things that did not happen as if it did makes me think that this person has lost touch with reality and is delusional ... (I have a paranoid narcissistic relative who keeps making things up about people who they cannot control and who they are jealous of. kinda sounds like that person). 

5 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Talking about things that did not happen as if it did makes me think that this person has lost touch with reality and is delusional ... (I have a paranoid narcissistic relative who keeps making things up about people who they cannot control and who they are jealous of. kinda sounds like that person). 

I think she has a bit of a persecution complex, but I don't think she's delusional... I assume SOMEONE has said something about playgrounds and she's conflating it with me, maybe. And then exaggerating to top it off? 

I dunno, but the fact is that some people lie to make themselves sound more sympathetic. 

• Like 1

I assume SOMEONE has said something about playgrounds and she's conflating it with me, maybe.

If she is basing things off of rumors, then it is possible that she is confusing you with someone else - but, it still is a problem because she is spreading hearsay without evidence.

Just now, mathnerd said:

If she is basing things off of rumors, then it is possible that she is confusing you with someone else - but, it still is a problem because she is spreading hearsay without evidence.

No, I mean that someone else criticized her. I doubt anyone's telling her anything like that about me. 

No, I mean that someone else criticized her. I doubt anyone's telling her anything like that about me. 

Oh.. I see what you mean ... (I assumed wrongly that she heard that one of the moms at the center said it and she jumped to the wrong conclusion about who it was)

Just now, mathnerd said:

Oh.. I see what you mean ... (I assumed wrongly that she heard that one of the moms at the center said it and she jumped to the wrong conclusion about who it was)

Nah, everything's been virtual since we've had our falling out. And she's had LOTS of fights with other people, since she's a really aggressive person who gets into fights about all sorts of things, and we live in a COVID-cautious area, so there have been many, many people who don't approve of how she's acting.