Menu

There are again COVID hotspots in NYC

Not_a_Number

Ugh. Apparently, there are again hotspots starting up around here. Not near where I am, and the positivity in NYC is still only 5% and not 20%, but I am terrified of a repeat of last spring. It's so hard to contact trace NYC, and people are tired of quarantining. 

At least there are enough tests nowadays. 

ETA: And I realize I claimed that the positivity on those spots was lower than it was... nope, pretty high. It's still averaging relatively low over the city, that's all. 

Edited by Not_a_number
  • Sad 16

1 minute ago, kdsuomi said:

I've been watching that for the past few days. According to the Times, NYC's positivity rate is higher than CA's now. I guess we'll see what happens.

True story, sigh. NYC is above 3% and CA is below. And CA is probably in a better position for the winter, since it's still nice outdoors in the winter in CA. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kand said:

The cleaning part is not likely as important as just looking for any urgent issues. Could you just get X-rays and a quick visual exam to look for any problems? That would have you in and out quicker. Unless you have a particular issue with heavy tartar buildup or something that requires professional cleaning to fix. 

It's been a year, and last time waiting too long didn't go well. Ugh. I hate making these decisions. 

It's on Monday, and all the hotspots are still not in Manhattan. And I'm going in the early morning slot. So hopefully it'll be fine. 

• Like 1

It's either do it now, or wait until next spring, I think. 

It's so weird to hear that 5% is hotspot territory in some states.  Texas seems to have plateaued at 6-ish percent, and people are again yelling that it's time to open up more, stop wearing masks, etc because "cases are low!".  There were 3800 new cases today, and this is what people are calling "low". 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6

1 minute ago, MissLemon said:

It's either do it now, or wait until next spring, I think. 

It's so weird to hear that 5% is hotspot territory in some states.  Texas seems to have plateaued at 6-ish percent, and people are again yelling that it's time to open up more, stop wearing masks, etc because "cases are low!".  There were 3800 new cases today, and this is what people are calling "low". 

It's been 1% for so long, we've all gotten used to it 😛 . 

But I'm not that worried about 5%. I'm worried about the fact that things can grow SO rapidly here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Not_a_number said:

It's been 1% for so long, we've all gotten used to it 😛 . 

But I'm not that worried about 5%. I'm worried about the fact that things can grow SO rapidly here.

1% is amazing.  I have a friend that lives in Manhattan.  She said she's been (carefully) visiting with friends and family, and part of me was like "You have GOT to be kidding me!".  But, if positivity was 1% here, I'd be visiting with people, too.  

Just now, MissLemon said:

1% is amazing.  I have a friend that lives in Manhattan.  She said she's been (carefully) visiting with friends and family, and part of me was like "You have GOT to be kidding me!".  But, if positivity was 1% here, I'd be visiting with people, too.  

We haven't been visiting people 😛 . We couldn't find someone to pod with except the in-laws in Boston, so right now we're back in NYC for a little bit to get medical stuff done without exposing them, then we'll go back into their pod. 

• Like 1

Just now, Not_a_number said:

We haven't been visiting people 😛 . We couldn't find someone to pod with except the in-laws in Boston, so right now we're back in NYC for a little bit to get medical stuff done without exposing them, then we'll go back into their pod. 

This is our problem here, too.  I don't know of anyone who we could "pod up" with.  I was looking into some homeschool groups that have outdoor events, and out of the 6 I checked, all of them lead with anti-mask statements.  Like, ok...it's outdoors, so masks probably aren't needed, but the fact that you lead with this statement tells me we are not approaching this problem in a compatible way. 

Just...ugh. My brain is tired.

• Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Pen said:

What parts of NYC having hotspots?   Wondering if old friends will be affected again. 

Currently mostly seems to be the Orthodox areas, if I'm reading between the lines correctly. Here are the zip codes: 

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-deploys-rapid-result-testing-machines-address-recent-uptick-cases-cluster-zip

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

This is our problem here, too.  I don't know of anyone who we could "pod up" with.  I was looking into some homeschool groups that have outdoor events, and out of the 6 I checked, all of them lead with anti-mask statements.  Like, ok...it's outdoors, so masks probably aren't needed, but the fact that you lead with this statement tells me we are not approaching this problem in a compatible way. 

Just...ugh. My brain is tired.

Yeah, "my brain is tired" is a good description. I'm really tired of having to think so much as a necessity of daily life. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Not_a_number said:

Currently mostly seems to be the Orthodox areas, if I'm reading between the lines correctly. Here are the zip codes: 

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-deploys-rapid-result-testing-machines-address-recent-uptick-cases-cluster-zip

So in that case probably not tied to the opening of restaurants. 

19 minutes ago, Not_a_number said:

By the way, the zip codes themselves have much higher positivities than 5%... it's NYC itself that's 3%. But the hotspots have very high positivities, if you take a look at the link in the last post. 

Ugh, we're not in NY, but my neighborhood has very close ties with Orthodox communities in Brooklyn, and I'm very concerned about what I see here regarding distancing. Many neighbors are hosting large group sleepovers for their children indoors.... 

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, Not_a_number said:

Ugh. Apparently, there are again hotspots starting up around here. Not near where I am, and the positivity in those spots still only 5% and not 20%, but I am terrified of a repeat of last spring. It's so hard to contact trace NYC, and people are tired of quarantining. 

At least there are enough tests nowadays. 

I was reading about that.  Ugh.  Not good.  

Although our % positivity here is like 6.8%.  Really not happy about that.  

1 hour ago, Not_a_number said:

We have the same thing here with a hot spot in the orthodox area. 

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, Acadie said:

Ugh, we're not in NY, but my neighborhood has very close ties with Orthodox communities in Brooklyn, and I'm very concerned about what I see here regarding distancing. Many neighbors are hosting large group sleepovers for their children indoors.... 

Here even when it was so bad in April, some still had schools open without any precautions.  Some here are still having large parties, weddings ( these are well over 500 people) and stuff.  One of my friends won’t see her family as they won’t take any precautions and go to these events.

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Sad 2

My area has a positivity rate of 21%. Hospitals in the surrounding area are warning that their ICU beds are filling and I just heard that they have an empty floor in our hospital ready to open as extra Covid beds if needed. Not sure where the staff are going to come from as there are a number of hospital employees off as they are positive. No matter how much you say this may happen people just don’t seem able to believe it until it happens to them. Makes me feel very fed up!

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

4 hours ago, Not_a_number said:

You don't need to read between the lines, people have been outright pointing to the ultra-Orthodox communities.

And not without reason, because they're not really a community that's big on secular education or non-religious authorities in the first place. In this, they're not much different from many other isolated religious groups. Add in the High Holy Days, and anybody could've seen this coming. Many people did, in fact, see it coming - just like we all saw a rise in cases beforehand in areas that allowed large gatherings in churches around Easter, or in college towns that are still insisting on the students residing on-campus and aren't greatly limiting their out-of-dorm activities.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, Not_a_number said:

Sigh. You're right. So mad at my supposed fellow "religious"  people.

• Sad 2

30 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

You don't need to read between the lines, people have been outright pointing to the ultra-Orthodox communities.

And not without reason, because they're not really a community that's big on secular education or non-religious authorities in the first place. In this, they're not much different from many other isolated religious groups. Add in the High Holy Days, and anybody could've seen this coming. Many people did, in fact, see it coming - just like we all saw a rise in cases beforehand in areas that allowed large gatherings in churches around Easter, or in college towns that are still insisting on the students residing on-campus and aren't greatly limiting their out-of-dorm activities.

They all think they got it already and don't need to mask,SD or anything else plus the other stuff you mentioned. Our community in Boston just got one family who caught it someplace and now three schools are fully or partially closed. My daughter's class (my only non homeschooler) is now quarantined for 14 days. My daughter is bummed.

• Sad 2