Menu

Any other readily available masks I could be looking at?

melmichigan

We wear Happy Mask as our everyday mask, with head straps to improve the seal.  I have alway used Cambridge Mask in the past, but the newest order I received is awful.  The masks don't fit correctly, and customer response has been abysmal after waiting four months for them to arrive.  I saw that Vog has changed to a non-valved mask. Has anyone wore them that can give feedback?  I am considered very high risk, but also am the one that needs to be out for medical appointments that cannot be avoided, and treatments that can no longer be delayed (I routinely mask in many situations during flu season).  I also live in an area where there are way too many people that refuse to wear any face coverings so I prefer to go that extra step.  I prefer a mask that can be worn comfortably, and properly, as I think those are still the most important variables, so personal experiences are preferred.  Any other masks that I could be looking at?  

Edited by melmichigan
Corrected shipping time

We use these:

https://yuli-co.com/products/kn95-face-mask

They form a nice close seal on my face.

If you ask the company will send you a report that supposedly is from a third party lab verifying the filtration level. It's a lab in China not the US, I can't be 100% certain of the legitimacy but I like the masks and feel confident that they are better than the average cloth or surgical mask. They feel subjectively like they are filtering better than my Happy Mask.

6 hours ago, melmichigan said:

We wear Happy Mask as our everyday mask, with head straps to improve the seal.  I have alway used Cambridge Mask in the past, but the newest order I received is awful.  The masks don't fit correctly, and customer response has been abysmal after waiting five months for them to arrive.  I saw that Vog has changed to a non-valved mask. Has anyone wore them that can give feedback?  I am considered very high risk, but also am the one that needs to be out for medical appointments that cannot be avoided, and treatments that can no longer be delayed (I routinely mask in many situations during flu season).  I also live in an area where there are way too many people that refuse to wear any face coverings so I prefer to go that extra step.  I prefer a mask that can be worn comfortably, and properly, as I think those are still the most important variables, so personal experiences are preferred.  Any other masks that I could be looking at?  

I have a Happy Mask and Vog mask (the one still with a valve).  Apparently I have a huge face, as I measure to a L in HM and L or XL in Vog - my kid with Mast Cell who's been wearing Vog masks since before the pandemic got us each one in the last order.  The XL is big on me only because you can't adjust the ear loops - I jury-rigged a paperclip as a fastener behind my head, and then it forms a nice tight seal around my face.  My L HM also fits me well.  I think the Vog is just a bit more comfy for me (in the face area), and pretty pattern - but the Happy Mask works well for me too!  I just ordered two more Happy Masks each for dh and me.  Now that you're saying they've taken the valve out of the Vogs, I think I'll see if I can get a couple more of those!

They're my two favorites so far.  I got a Halo and some pretty ones from eshakti.  Don't like them quite as much.  Also got some sports masks but haven't worn them yet as I haven't been brave enough to go back to the gym...

7 hours ago, melmichigan said:

We wear Happy Mask as our everyday mask, with head straps to improve the seal.  I have alway used Cambridge Mask in the past, but the newest order I received is awful.  The masks don't fit correctly, and customer response has been abysmal after waiting five months for them to arrive.  I saw that Vog has changed to a non-valved mask. Has anyone wore them that can give feedback?  I am considered very high risk, but also am the one that needs to be out for medical appointments that cannot be avoided, and treatments that can no longer be delayed (I routinely mask in many situations during flu season).  I also live in an area where there are way too many people that refuse to wear any face coverings so I prefer to go that extra step.  I prefer a mask that can be worn comfortably, and properly, as I think those are still the most important variables, so personal experiences are preferred.  Any other masks that I could be looking at?  

I just got my first ever (so can’t compare to old) Cambridge Mask (Pro) in time for fires smoke and after putting in nose bridge foam and adjusting adjusters and using the head strap rather than ear loops, I am liking it a lot.  It is better for the smoke than the Happy Mask and was comfortable enough to wear long hours even indoors, even slept in it.   It was rather too hot when we were in 90’s F, but good after temperatures dropped .    When the smoke was really bad and I had to go out, I put on two masks at once. 

I have heard that Vog are more comfortable, but filter less. 

I'm really happy with the breethy masks https://www.stsofficial.com/collections/protective-masks-kn95

They fit very well (I recommend a large, even for women) as the silicone seals against the skin. 

They are comfortable.

I was pleased with their stated filtration ability, but I did not verify their studies. I actually believe you could use any filter you could cut to the proper size in place of their filter if wanted. I'm using, and comfortable with, their filters.

Finally, I like that I can clean the mask, with filter removed, in the dishwasher. 

Edited by sbgrace
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Pen said:

I just got my first ever (so can’t compare to old) Cambridge Mask (Pro) in time for fires smoke and after putting in nose bridge foam and adjusting adjusters and using the head strap rather than ear loops, I am liking it a lot.  It is better for the smoke than the Happy Mask and was comfortable enough to wear long hours even indoors, even slept in it.   It was rather too hot when we were in 90’s F, but good after temperatures dropped .    When the smoke was really bad and I had to go out, I put on two masks at once. 

I have heard that Vog are more comfortable, but filter less. 

The XL Cambridge Pro I ordered for my DH is on the mark, but the five L I ordered for my kids came and the measurements are all off, not true to their normal sizes at all, and they are giving me the run around after waiting four months to get them.  From complaints there appears to be some issue with an entire wave.  I'm giving it another couple of days for them to refund/exchange or whatever they decide to do, but I'm on the hunt for L for them, because I don't want to wait forever to get replacements.

I do think we are going to add a few more Happy Masks to make my life easier with washing/rotating.

@Matryoshka does she have the new Vog without the valve?

Edited by melmichigan

4 minutes ago, melmichigan said:

The XL Cambridge Pro I ordered for my DH is on the mark, but the five L I ordered for my kids came and the measurements are all off, not true to their normal sizes at all, and they are giving me the run around after waiting four months to get them.  From complaints there appears to be some issue with an entire wave.  I'm giving it another couple of days for them to refund/exchange or whatever they decide to do, but I'm on the hunt for L for them, because I don't want to wait forever to get replacements.

They were Smaller or larger than usual?  I was planning to wait for patterns to return and get another, but might be basing my understanding of size off of a L that isn’t normal L for the company. 

I do think we are going to add a few more Happy Mask stop make my life easier with washing/rotating.

I got what I think is enough HM to wash and rotate.  

The one problem we have had with HM is a gap under chin when mouth is closed.  I can tape it, but my in person school kid won’t, and I think it’s a potential problem for viral entry, though still fine for protecting others. 

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

They were Smaller or larger than usual?  I was planning to wait for patterns to return and get another, but might be basing my understanding of size off of a L that isn’t normal L for the company. 

I got what I think is enough HM to wash and rotate.  

The one problem we have had with HM is a gap under chin when mouth is closed.  I can tape it, but my in person school kid won’t, and I think it’s a potential problem for viral entry, though still fine for protecting others. 

They are both shorter nose to chin, much longer cheek to cheek, and the ear loops are the same as the xl, making them virtually impossible to size correctly based on their original measurements.

We wear HM with a head strap.  It helps get a nice seal without having it against your face.

• Thanks 1

They are both shorter nose to chin, much longer cheek to cheek, and the ear loops are the same as the xl, making them virtually impossible to size correctly based on their original measurements.

I think I might have been lucky and got a good one. 

We wear HM with a head strap.  It helps get a nice seal without having it against your face.

I’ll try that. Thanks! 

since we have basic and there’s been ear loop detachment reported (we haven’t had it happen) maybe I’ll attach head straps to mask itself 

1 minute ago, Pen said:

since we have basic and there’s been ear loop detachment reported (we haven’t had it happen) maybe I’ll attach head straps to mask itself 

If it helps any I just attach the head strap under the loop bead(for lack of a better term), so it isn't super tight.  It's more that it adjust the angle slightly allowing it to tighten at the chin without loosening at the nose.

• Thanks 1

I'm seeing more than one Happy Mask when I search online. Would someone link to the one being discussed here please? Thanks.

21 hours ago, maize said:

We use something similar that I ordered from Gear Best. I can't find the exact one now when I search or I'd link. They fit well and it's easy to breathe because of the space between the mask and your face. Supposedly you can reuse them up to 5 times but I'm a little leery. Mostly we decide based on where and how long the mask was worn.

We also have a pack of disposable surgical masks in a common area of the house. With our house being brand new construction we've had people in and out often. We also ordered new furniture and window treatments so had people here taking measurements and delivering stuff. We use the surgical masks for those situations and also offer them to workers who "accidentally" forgot their mask. Dh's work provides disposable surgical masks at all entrances but you're allowed to use your own if you want. They prefer people not wear reusable because they can't be sure if/how well people wash them. 

I have a few reusable masks but my favorite are some Tommie Copper masks I bought at Home Depot. They fit well, have adjustable ear loops, and a slot for a filter. I don't care anything about the copper, and in fact thought it was just a brand name and didn't know it had anything to do with actual copper. I just like the way they fit and the fact that they're comfortable. 

I will say the KN95 masks work best at preventing my glasses from fogging up. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Lady Florida. said:

I'm seeing more than one Happy Mask when I search online. Would someone link to the one being discussed here please? Thanks.

https://www.happymasks.com  it used to be .co, but they purchased the .com.  I believe it redirects, but this is the new address.

Edited by melmichigan

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

We use something similar that I ordered from Gear Best. I can't find the exact one now when I search or I'd link. They fit well and it's easy to breathe because of the space between the mask and your face. Supposedly you can reuse them up to 5 times but I'm a little leery. Mostly we decide based on where and how long the mask was worn.

We also have a pack of disposable surgical masks in a common area of the house. With our house being brand new construction we've had people in and out often. We also ordered new furniture and window treatments so had people here taking measurements and delivering stuff. We use the surgical masks for those situations and also offer them to workers who "accidentally" forgot their mask. Dh's work provides disposable surgical masks at all entrances but you're allowed to use your own if you want. They prefer people not wear reusable because they can't be sure if/how well people wash them. 

I have a few reusable masks but my favorite are some Tommie Copper masks I bought at Home Depot. They fit well, have adjustable ear loops, and a slot for a filter. I don't care anything about the copper, and in fact thought it was just a brand name and didn't know it had anything to do with actual copper. I just like the way they fit and the fact that they're comfortable. 

I will say the KN95 masks work best at preventing my glasses from fogging up. 

Do the filter slots on Tommie copper type allow a filter that fits the whole mask area? (Versus just a small filter in front of nose/mouth?) 

Copper often helps reduce pathogens, but in tests CV19 seems to survive on copper quite well. It still might help for other things like bacteria. 

24 minutes ago, Pen said:

Do the filter slots on Tommie copper type allow a filter that fits the whole mask area? (Versus just a small filter in front of nose/mouth?) 

Copper often helps reduce pathogens, but in tests CV19 seems to survive on copper quite well. It still might help for other things like bacteria. 

No, it's just enough for a small filter.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, kand said:

Thanks for the recommendation. I just ordered one with the thought that any of the four adults in the house could use it if they had an appointment or something higher risk, since it can be cleaned in the dishwasher. I do wish I could see more about the filter. Does it fully fill edge to edge?

You're welcome. I hope you like it. They ship really fast in my experiences. I was so pleased with my first mask (for someone who needs to be in a high risk situation) that I've ended up buying more for my family and other loved ones. Even my teens started wearing them pretty much exclusively when they are required to be masked because they are so much more comfortable than any of our other masks.

I'll try to explain the filter. The mask has in interior silicone seal/cushion around your mouth and nose. The mask itself extends out further than that interior seal--all the way to an open edge essentially. It's the sealed interior part that is the protective portion of the mask. The filter fits in cage type "holder" within that sealed part. So the whole mouth and nose area are protected by the filter, which is designed to fit that mask exactly. I tried a lot of different masks trying to find one to protect my loved one. One frustration I had with previous masks was just what you described--the filter couldn't really extend to the mask edges. The other big frustration for me was poor fit/gaps.

Ah, I found a video that shows the mask design and filter use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQwCaf3sAHc  I'll note that she calls the medium mask as "for women."  I'm kind of small and bought a medium one for myself. I needed a large instead. I've had some other women who wanted to buy try on my medium (which I would give them if it fits), and all needed a large so far. It's a really small sample size, but I think large is maybe better for most teens/adults. Also, they are vague on the K95 filter on that video--protects 95% I think she says. I saw a mircon size (.3) for that filter which made me happy when I researched it originally, but I don't know where I read that now. I did not contact the company to ask for their data or anything. I was just desperately searching for something better than I had found to that point. I am expecting a new order any day now, and I will try to post what information I get, if any, in the package about the filter ability. It would be easy, I think, if someone felt insecure about the KN95 filter included to add a layer of filter material or even replace with their own preferred  filter material if it could be cut to the size of the custom filter. (I keep meaning to see if a layer of filti material on top changes the breath-ability too much, just out of curiosity and because I'm super worried about my high risk loved one). It is very breathable with the included filter. 

Edited by sbgrace
including video