Menu

PSA: ACT updates as of June 30

Here's what the ACT folks are saying today.

Via their Twitter feed here:

We know you're anxious to hear from us.
2021 seniors whose registration for June or July was cancelled & who haven't received a refund will still get emails today.
2021 seniors whose registration for April was cancelled & who haven't received a refund will get emails tomorrow.

They are also saying they are opening registration for the fall tests on Aug 3.

Anyone else in the queue to register for the ACT? I got in right when it opened and my wait time is “greater than one hour”. 😑 Ugh, this is going to be such an ordeal (not just the registration, but the whole finding a test center that might actually be open this fall). DD, a junior, has been prepping for the last month and hopes to be a one & done this fall before her intense junior year really ramps up into full swing. I’m aware how unlikely this is, but...dare to dream!

• Like 1

We are in line with over an hour wait (now 39min). But we were also registered to take in June and got an email this morning that ACT automatically re-registered us to the closest testing site in September, without telling us where. So we are basically waiting to log in and see where dd was registered (automatically). 

1 hour ago, fourisenough said:

Anyone else in the queue to register for the ACT? I got in right when it opened and my wait time is “greater than one hour”. 😑 Ugh, this is going to be such an ordeal (not just the registration, but the whole finding a test center that might actually be open this fall). DD, a junior, has been prepping for the last month and hopes to be a one & done this fall before her intense junior year really ramps up into full swing. I’m aware how unlikely this is, but...dare to dream!

Yup. DS is about to lose his mind. 😞 

There have been so many problems with the ACT it would comical if it weren’t messing with the students so badly. The inability to test has actual, long  term effects. Unis can claim to be test optional this year, but I don’t doubt for a moment that students who are able to submit results have a better shot at admission, especially at the competitive schools. 

Why the ACT isn’t prioritising seniors right now is totally beyond me. I understand that in normal times lots of juniors like to get a leg up, but this is not that year. Too many seniors are being left without the ability to test at all before they need to start applying. This is make or break time, especially if applying ED or EA. They don’t get another opportunity.

This whole situation just sucks. As if this years seniors aren’t getting a raw enough deal, now they have to deal with this extra layer of anxiety. I am feeling furious at the powers that be for these stupid but necessary tests, and crushingly sad for all the crap our seniors have to endure this year. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Why the ACT isn’t prioritising seniors right now is totally beyond me

What ACT posted on Facebook 🤦🏻‍♀️ when they could have just given the priority 

“A friendly request and reminder about registration:

It’s good to help your neighbor most in need. 

Juniors, be a buddy to your fellow seniors in need of scores for deadlines. Please consider registering later this week for a December or Spring date.💜

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

What ACT posted on Facebook 🤦🏻‍♀️ when they could have just given the priority 

“A friendly request and reminder about registration:

It’s good to help your neighbor most in need. 

Juniors, be a buddy to your fellow seniors in need of scores for deadlines. Please consider registering later this week for a December or Spring date.💜

I laughed, but also omg. 
Literally, this is their ONE job. Smh.

Because giving priority to the students who actually need it is too difficult for them? 😡

• Like 2

People on Twitter reporting registration for tests sites and then the confirmation site has them in different states. Like registering in NJ and then then the confirmation has them registered at a test site in Idaho. Saw one who chose a test site in Houston and was assigned to Univ Wisconsin- Whitewater. It would be comical if it wasn't serious. Can't even figure out how they could have messed it up this badly.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, teachermom2834 said:

People on Twitter reporting registration for tests sites and then the confirmation site has them in different states. Like registering in NJ and then then the confirmation has them registered at a test site in Idaho. Saw one who chose a test site in Houston and was assigned to Univ Wisconsin- Whitewater. It would be comical if it wasn't serious. Can't even figure out how they could have messed it up this badly.

Yeah, Reddit is full of same stories. 
DS finally got in but the earliest test date is 1.) too late for EA and 2.) on the same date as XC state championships. Grrrrr. Now frantically searching other states. 

• Sad 1

We were "automatically " registered 6.5 hours away driving for September date. Changed it to October,  still not close, but 1.5 hour driving now. Logged back an hour later and all October dates visible to us were gone. 

Then, of course, I realized we might be missing early deadlines. We weren't planning on ED, but i didn't realize that EA's also have November  1 deadline. What an insanity!

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Kendall said:

I couldn't see any of the new test dates and Sept 12 was full. Did any of you see the new test dates as options?

There were tabs or drop-down menus for each of the months during which tests are scheduled. I’d go back in and check. You should see October, December, February, etc.

Grr! Not sure what went wrong, but DD did not get a Septetmber sdpot. No email confirmation when I just checked for it. Went into her account myself  (she's asleep) and now no spots at all in September near us. So grabbed an October spot for her at the private school 30 minutes away. This time, the test is showing up & the email confirmation got sent and even more exciting, my credit card transaction got flagged as fraudulent. ;) Guess she gets to study an additional month!

• Like 2

The only September date “near” us that was available in any state surrounding us is over a 4 hours drive. We aren’t travelling, and since an overnight would be required and we aren’t do that this year, we decided to test universities commitments to declaring themselves test optional. The October date is just too late in the process for DS.

DS had been looking forward to taking the ACT. It’s more suited to him than the SAT and he never likes to turn down an opportunity so he’s disappointed. But honestly, I figure the chances of the testing actually happening are pretty slim, given their awful track record this summer and with the cooler weather likely to increase Covid numbers. I’m not thrilled to have him sit for the SAT later this month as it is.

I expect this is just another in a long string of disappointments for our seniors this year. Hopefully they will emerge the Resilient Generation as a result. 😉 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ACT is now showing additional dates available for our area (not closest site, but 30 minutes away). There are two more September dates available now.

DD is sticking woth the October date as one of her college classes will be done a couple weeks before that, and she should have some extra time to study. She hasn't looked at the test prep stuff since May.

• Like 1

RooAnn, I am so grateful for your update. We were just able to switch for September date, that was just added, and for a school only a mile away. What a crazy system this is. They should be letting people know that they are adding dates and new testing sites. 

Some will try to make that crazy trip, far away from home, thinking that it is their only option.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/22/2020 at 11:16 AM, RootAnn said:

PSA:  If you couldn't find a date or place near you for this fall's ACT, check again. Dates & places were added again. Good luck!

DS's SAT for the end of the month was cancelled so we figured he’d just have to do without any tests at all, but then a week or so after the ACT dates opened up—with nothing near us—a testing date in a nearby community opened up.

ITA to check and double check for unannounced opportunities!

• Like 1

September dates opened up for the local school just recently, but we decided to keep her test in October. So, I checked to see if our local school has October seats. Doesn't look like they are testing in October at the local school. But, I'll keep checking because that is a lot closer / more familiar than the site she's currently registered for.

I also secured a backup spot locally for December's test in case October is cancelled. She's a senior & has not yet tested...

• Like 1

On 8/26/2020 at 12:52 PM, RootAnn said:

September dates opened up for the local school just recently, but we decided to keep her test in October. So, I checked to see if our local school has October seats. Doesn't look like they are testing in October at the local school. But, I'll keep checking because that is a lot closer / more familiar than the site she's currently registered for.

I also secured a backup spot locally for December's test in case October is cancelled. She's a senior & has not yet tested...

I don't know if you're worried about scholarships but I sure am.
Sigh.  Stupid Covid.

I have a senior taking the ACT for the first time.  
Deadline for the financial aid office for consideration? Dec. 15th.  October 17th test date gives Dec 4th score release.  I have never had scores auto sent because we've always wanted to decide if we're retesting.  Not very happy here.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have a student testing today? My DD was super happy her test location wasn’t cancelled. Since she was testing at a random school 45 minutes away from her residential ballet school (not in our home state), we did a drive by last night. There was a football game going on in what looked like a packed stadium. 🤨 Couldn’t really see whether everyone was wearing masks, but they definitely weren’t distancing. 

She was smiling and excited going into the building. Let’s hope she comes out feeling pleased with her first attempt at the exam! 

• Like 2

Crossing your fingers for your DD, @fourisenough!

I just checked & our local brick & mortar high school added two testing dates (from none) in October. Hallelujah! Switched DD to local school from farther away one although it moved the test day up a week. No change fees, so it was an easy decision. She's going to be a basket case with just the test, so having her kinda know the school layout will be one less thing weighing on her.

• Like 1

On 8/28/2020 at 10:18 AM, BlsdMama said:

Deadline for the financial aid office for consideration? Dec. 15th.  October 17th test date gives Dec 4th score release.  I have never had scores auto sent because we've always wanted to decide if we're retesting.  Not very happy here.

I'm seeing earlier possible score release unless your kid is doing the writing? Earliest score release would be Oct 27th but mid-November looks possible, too. Seems so far away but Fall is already zooming by....

Mine is using her free score sends, but we have a December test scheduled just in case she needs one more try or October is cancelled.

Edited by RootAnn

3 hours ago, fourisenough said:

She was smiling and excited going into the building. Let’s hope she comes out feeling pleased with her first attempt at the exam! 

Quoting myself with DD’s reaction to this morning’s test: “It went well! Finished English with 15 mins to spare, math was pretty good, reading was fine and science was okay! I am pretty happy with it, and I’m excited to get my score!”

She said proctor didn’t wear his mask the whole time and tried to tell kids they couldn’t wear their watches (including analog watches, like DD was wearing). Luckily, the kids knew the rules and set him straight. His phone also rang during the test. Ugh. There were just 15 students in her room and they were adequately spaced. She felt safe.

• Like 2

"She said proctor didn’t wear his mask the whole time and tried to tell kids they couldn’t wear their watches (including analog watches, like DD was wearing). Luckily, the kids knew the rules and set him straight."

Ugh! This is why (before COVID) I took the tests as much as I could - to make sure proctor's weren't screwing up. I'm so glad the kids knew the rules. The week before the test, I go over all the rules with my kids so they know what should (and should not) be happening (and what to do next)

If you want to, I'd report that proctor to the school - SAT's new policy is that everyone has to wear a mask.

• Like 2

Whoops - good catch. I meant ACT. Here's the blub from their website on their COVID requirments:

• Requiring face coverings be worn by students and staff (See FAQs for details)
  • Making hand sanitizer available
  • Placing COVID-19 related signage, including floor signage to maintain six feet distances at key locations such as check-in and seating arrangements  
  • Requiring health screenings and wellness checks on both testing staff and examinees on test day 
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Bumping to say that dd#2 is still on for the ACT this Saturday (was originally the 24th at a farther away testing location but a spot opened at the local school on the 17th so switched to that). Local school has been in session in person full time for the past few weeks. Fingers crossed it stays "on." 

She only did one practice test, but if she can get that composite on the real test, we can cancel her Dec backup test slot.

• Like 3

Good luck to all the test takers today!

Edited post-test. Glad I prepared her for an extra section. They did a 5th one--science. There were only 5 kids taking the test total. Now the waiting for the scores...

Edited by RootAnn
Post-test update
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Test results are in from the Oct 17th ACT (early!). Dd is one & done. Good enough for me. The math sections on all the Oct tests have rumored to be difficult. Ds's score was definitely on the low end of her practice tests.

Good luck to others waiting for testing or results.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Test results are in from the Oct 17th ACT (early!). Dd is one & done. Good enough for me. The math sections on all the Oct tests have rumored to be difficult. Ds's score was definitely on the low end of her practice tests.

Good luck to others waiting for testing or results.

Congratulations to your DD! My DD took the 10/24 test. She said the time flew by and she didn’t remember much of the test 🤪 so I’m not terribly optimistic that she will have improved on her very solid September score. Fingers-crossed results from her test will come out early also. We’re not very patient people over here!

• Like 1