Menu

Resources for addressing the topic of racism in 1st-4th grade Sunday School

MercyA

This fall I'll be moving from teaching K-2 kiddos to teaching 1st-4th grade Sunday School at my church.

I'd like to teach some lessons on racism at an age-appropriate level. They need to incorporate Scripture (love thy neighbor is just fine).

As I noted in another thread, I live in an area in which seems to have an overabundance of Confederate flags (in northern Indiana, of all places). While my denomination (Wesleyan) has historically been very anti-racist and anti-slavery, racism is not something people talk about in my church. We have no black or minority members or regular attenders. I know almost nothing about what our members think about racism, aside from the fact that they have complained about rioters and one person privately commented (a year or so ago) about a black person they know being overly sensitive about race issues. 😕 

I think this is needed but I don't want to screw it up. I still feel very undereducated when it comes to race issues, but I know injustice when I see it and this country has a problem. Any recommendations would be hugely appreciated. I especially like using picture books.

Thanks! 

• Thanks 1

Does your church follow a specific Sunday School curriculum? Because -- as a parent -- I'd be pretty PO'd if someone went off and taught something of their own choosing, needed or not. (Sure, your topic is right/good, but straying from approved-curriculum could later be problematic.)

But... if your church has teachers prepare their own material, then I'd approach it from a biblical perspective. Who does Jesus love, how did Jesus show love to others, how does He want us to treat others, etc? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Does your church follow a specific Sunday School curriculum? Because -- as a parent -- I'd be pretty PO'd if someone went off and taught something of their own choosing, needed or not. (Sure, your topic is right/good, but straying from approved-curriculum could later be problematic.)

But... if your church has teachers prepare their own material, then I'd approach it from a biblical perspective. Who does Jesus love, how did Jesus show love to others, how does He want us to treat others, etc? 

No. Some teachers use a denominational curriculum. I didn't care for it and have been given permission to create my own curriculum. I didn't have any serious disagreements with the standard curriculum; I just found it a little dull and tedious, as well as expensive. 

I keep a detailed record of all the lessons I have taught and anyone is welcome to it at any time (not that anyone has ever asked). My kids always leave class with a craft related to the lesson, so parents know, generally speaking, what I am teaching.

I will not teach anything contrary to the doctrine of our church. 

Thanks for the ideas! I like that approach.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

As a Sunday school teacher I would be asking the children's ministry director or pastors and elders for denominationally approved curriculum and resources. Or at least some kind of input from church leadership or maybe a committee of teachers and parents if that sort of resource doesn't exist. I wouldn't strike out on that on my own, or if I did, I'd want to check for approval first. If I as a teacher didn't approve of church resources, I don't know what I would do, but it would be a choice between submitting to leadership as a God given authority, or not teaching Sunday school. That would be a tough one.

As a parent, I'd not expect individual Sunday school teachers to be picking topics current to the day for the kids unless it was an older class...and even then I'd expect the primary lesson (in Sunday school) to be from the Bible and race to be addressed as it came up in context (the good samaritan, for example). But that is a personal preference, I guess, more exegetical, less topical. Because I think there is more room for error if we start with a topic and look to the Bible to fill it in, rather than the other way around.

ETA: I started this when there was one reply and less info in the OP, so it's less than useful now!

Edited by EmseB
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, EmseB said:

As a Sunday school teacher I would be asking the children's ministry director or pastors and elders for denominationally approved curriculum and resources. Or at least some kind of input from church leadership or maybe a committee of teachers and parents if that sort of resource doesn't exist. I wouldn't strike out on that on my own, or if I did, I'd want to check for approval first. If I as a teacher didn't approve of church resources, I don't know what I would do, but it would be a choice between submitting to leadership as a God given authority, or not teaching Sunday school. That would be a tough one.

As a parent, I'd not expect individual Sunday school teachers to be picking topics current to the day for the kids unless it was an older class...and even then I'd expect the primary lesson (in Sunday school) to be from the Bible and race to be addressed as it came up in context (the good samaritan, for example). But that is a personal preference, I guess, more exegetical, less topical. Because I think there is more room for error if we start with a topic and look to the Bible to fill it in, rather than the other way around.

ETA: I started this when there was one reply and less info in the OP, so it's less than useful now!

Churches come in all different sizes.  I assume that if Mercy is asking for resources, it’s becuase she is working from a place that isn’t providing the resources and is empowering her to make her own plans?  She’s been teaching K-1 so presumably she knows the drill.  The church I have as a client doesn’t for example have a children’s ministry director.  

5 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

Churches come in all different sizes.  I assume that if Mercy is asking for resources, it’s becuase she is working from a place that isn’t providing the resources and is empowering her to make her own plans?  She’s been teaching K-1 so presumably she knows the drill.  The church I have as a client doesn’t for example have a children’s ministry director.  

Well, yeah, that's why I mentioned other people in leadership. I honestly have never been to a church where Sunday school teachers are allowed to teach whatever they choose without at least one second set of eyes on the lessons/materials, but maybe it's more common than I realize.

My current church is tiny and doesn't have a children's ministry director either. The SS teacher of my kids' classes still has to tell the elder board what she is going to teach, but she is allowed to make her own plans.

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

Generally speaking I agree with this. Over the last several years, I've already worked my way chronologically through most major stories of the Old Testament and most of the Gospels. I will be taking on new older students in the fall, in addition to keeping the younger ones I already had. The older students have also recently been through the Gospels. 

I want to do something different for a couple reasons: 1. I don't want to repeat topics that both the older and younger students just had, 2. I think this type of instruction is desperately needed at this time, and 3. I am currently in a bit of flux state in regarding my own faith / view of the Bible and need to teach things I can teach in good conscience and unequivocally. My pastor is aware of this and is confident that I will continue to be a good teacher and teach nothing contrary to church doctrine.

37 minutes ago, LucyStoner said:

Yes. We have no children's ministry director and, at the moment, no Sunday School coordinator. We also are a small church with a small budget and part of the reason I've been creating my own curriculum is to save the church money. I have been given permission by the church to do this.

29 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Well, yeah, that's why I mentioned other people in leadership. I honestly have never been to a church where Sunday school teachers are allowed to teach whatever they choose without at least one second set of eyes on the lessons/materials, but maybe it's more common than I realize.

To be honestly, we barely have enough people to teach (which is why I'm taking on more grades) and no one with the extra time to closely examine what's being taught in Sunday School. This is unfortunate, but just about everyone working for the church right now is doing multiple jobs already . They put people they trust--including me--in teaching positions and after that there is not a lot of oversight. That gives me more freedom than maybe I should have, but I take my responsibility seriously. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, EmseB said:

I agree with this point. So I think it would be best to study a passage from the Bible (like the good Samaritan mentioned) and go from there.

I think the example from Numbers 12 is also a fitting one.

Numbers 12:1: Then Miriam and Aaron spoke against Moses because of the Cushite woman he had married (for he had married an Ethiopian woman)...

You could study that chapter and then add other applicable references such as 1 John 4:20:  If a person says, “I love God,” but hates his brother, he is a liar. If a person does not love his brother whom he has seen, how can he love God Whom he has not seen?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for doing this, Mercy. I agree that our country has a problem with racial injustice, and I think that white people (myself included) have our work cut out for us in acknowledging the problem first of all, and then trying to fix it. Starting with younger generations makes a lot of sense, and gives me hope. 

My kids are teens now so I'm less acquainted with current picture books, but my SIL recommended these. She teaches first grade and has 6 year-old twins, my amazing nieces. I'm sure online reviews could give you an initial sense about whether some of these books might fit your aims for lessons with scriptural foundations. 

• Something Happened in Our Town: A Child’s Story About Racial Injustice by Marianne Celano, Marietta Collins, Ann Hazzard, & Jennifer Zivoin

• Separate Is Never Equal: Sylvia Mendez and Her Family’s Fight for Desegregation by Duncan Tonatiuh

• Sit-In: How Four Friends Stood Up by Sitting Down by Andrea David Pinkney

• Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson

• Not My idea: A Book About Whiteness (Ordinary Terrible Things) by Anasthasia Higginbotham

• A Kids Book About Racism by Jelani Memory

• Hands Up! by Breanna J. McDaniel

• Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Black Boy by Tony Medina

• Let’s Talk About Race by Julius Lester

• Malcolm Little by Ilyasah Shabazz

• The Day You Begin by Jacqueline Woodson

• You Matter by Christian Robinson

• The Youngest Marcher by Cynthis Levinson

• Where Are You From? Yamile Saied Méndez

• Spork Kyo Maclear

• The Proudest Blue by Ibtihaj Muhammad

• Parker Looks Up by Parker Curry

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This isn't Sunday School material, but our church is doing a series on racism which I think has been really well presented.  Perhaps they'd be a helpful backdrop of some ideas for you.  

https://whchurch.org/sermon_series/race-conciliation

(Our church is non-denominational.  I think the sermons in this series would be supported by the theology of most denominations.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I’d start with Heaven.  The vision of Heaven in Revelation—of every tribe and nation—is the ultimate utopia.  It’s what we are headed for.  

Then I would move on to the Lord’s Prayer, focussing on ‘Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven’ and relate that to unity in the Gospel, kindness, care, etc.  

Then I’d cover the story in Acts of Peter’s vision of not calling anyone or any food unclean any longer, and move on to ‘God is no respecter of persons’.  

Then I would affirmatively talk about the many passages that tell us how to treat others, especially in the Body of Christ, culminating in 1 Cor. 13, the great love chapter.  I’d call out the opposite behavior as sinful, flat out.  I’d talk about how important it is to repent of sinfulness and change our ways at times, and how that applies to how we treat people as well.

I’d wrap up with the Galatians passage “In Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither slave nor free, neither male nor female.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Personally, I’d start with Heaven.  The vision of Heaven in Revelation—of every tribe and nation—is the ultimate utopia.  It’s what we are headed for.  

Then I would move on to the Lord’s Prayer, focussing on ‘Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven’ and relate that to unity in the Gospel, kindness, care, etc.  

Then I’d cover the story in Acts of Peter’s vision of not calling anyone or any food unclean any longer, and move on to ‘God is no respecter of persons’.  

Then I would affirmatively talk about the many passages that tell us how to treat others, especially in the Body of Christ, culminating in 1 Cor. 13, the great love chapter.  I’d call out the opposite behavior as sinful, flat out.  I’d talk about how important it is to repent of sinfulness and change our ways at times, and how that applies to how we treat people as well.

I’d wrap up with the Galatians passage “In Christ there is neither Jew nor Greek, neither slave nor free, neither male nor female.”

Yep!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, J-rap said:

This isn't Sunday School material, but our church is doing a series on racism which I think has been really well presented.  Perhaps they'd be a helpful backdrop of some ideas for you.  

https://whchurch.org/sermon_series/race-conciliation

(Our church is non-denominational.  I think the sermons in this series would be supported by the theology of most denominations.)

I found a list of children's books by going to "Learning Resources" at the link above. Perfect!

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

While there aren't resources for kids per say; and I am sure you have already seen this page, I read your church's entire page on racial reconciliation and visited some of the links. I have to say that it expanded my understanding of your church and I was really impressed with the lot of the content.  I wonder if the "Humbly Connect, Intentionally Learn and Consistently Act" thing could be customized for kids and you could share it with other churches in your denomination.  Perhaps with the readings and crafts tying into each one.   I don't have any experience with conservative Evangelical churches (I grew up Catholic) and I think reading all that helped me bust some of my own stereotypes.  

My friend is on it and said he would send me some recommendations for you this weekend.  He wants to take some time when he's not in the middle of work to be reflective about it. He and his wife are active in an American Baptist church.  He and I grew up going to church camp together in totally different tradition.  

Edited by LucyStoner
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I thought about this some more, and I think there is merit in studying the stories of Ruth and Esther.

Esther was a foreigner, and God used her to save His people from slaughter while they were in exile.  She had to risk her life to advocate for them, and she did it because it was the right thing to do.  

Ruth was a foreigner in the land of God’s people, and God used her to become the renowned ancestor of both King David, and Jesus Christ.  She stepped out in faith for love of God and of His people.

These are examples to us, and the stories are illustrative even at the earliest ages.  We have to cross the boundaries and lines that separate people, as Christians, sometimes even if it’s risky.

If you ever want to study Ruth more deeply, you might consider “More Than A Love Story” by Elizabeth Ahlman—I just went through this Bible study with a small group and it was fantastic.  It is interesting to see the parallels between Ruth and the Proverbs 31 Woman Of Valor, among other things.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would not approach race at this age from a "racism" perspective, but rather from a diversity perspective.  

My very first step would be to request permission to use some of the funds saved by not purchasing curriculum to buy multicultural crayons/markers.  This may feel like a baby step, but I think it's an important one.  I really like how skin tone is discussed in the book "The Most Wonderful Writing Lessons Ever".  The author takes the taboo away from discussing skin color by talking through her thought process as she draws out a book illustration in front of her classroom.  "Let's see, Sally's skin was about this color... no wait, I think this crayon is closer.  And Tammy's skin was a darker brown tone, I think I'll use this crayon.  And Joey's was in between, and I'll use this one to add his freckles..."  It made it "safe" for the kids to use the crayons and discuss skin color.  I think sometimes lack of multi-racial representation in children's art is due to a lack of tools to create it, and a fear of discussing it.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Monica_in_Switzerland said:

I would not approach race at this age from a "racism" perspective, but rather from a diversity perspective.

I think this is a good point. Some of these children you are talking about could be as young as six (1st - 4th grade), so you could easily go over their heads with these subjects. But they will understand if you focus on how they should treat people that are different than themselves in some way (including skin color). This is a big age range, and the older ones will be able to comprehend more.

This is not necessarily about skin color, but this verse is another good one about how we treat others who are different. "The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God." Leviticus 19:34 

But don't use the word "alien" because that will really confuse them. : )

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, LucyStoner said:

While there aren't resources for kids per say; and I am sure you have already seen this page, I read your church's entire page on racial reconciliation and visited some of the links. I have to say that it expanded my understanding of your church and I was really impressed with the lot of the content.  I wonder if the "Humbly Connect, Intentionally Learn and Consistently Act" thing could be customized for kids and you could share it with other churches in your denomination.  Perhaps with the readings and crafts tying into each one.   I don't have any experience with conservative Evangelical churches (I grew up Catholic) and I think reading all that helped me bust some of my own stereotypes.  

My friend is on it and said he would send me some recommendations for you this weekend.  He wants to take some time when he's not in the middle of work to be reflective about it. He and his wife are active in an American Baptist church.  He and I grew up going to church camp together in totally different tradition.  

Wow, Katie, you seriously rock. No, I had not seen that page!!! Our church sends out news and commentary only from our own church and our local district and I don't often check the main denominational website (although I spent a lot of time there before joining the church last year). Your idea for following the Connect / Learn / Act framework is just excellent. I think it would be helpful on a number of levels to possibly approach it that way.

And please thank your friend profusely from me. I appreciate his help and yours so very much.

17 minutes ago, Skippy said:

I think this is a good point. Some of these children you are talking about could be as young as six (1st - 4th grade), so you could easily go over their heads with these subjects. But they will understand if you focus on how they should treat people that are different than themselves in some way (including skin color). This is a big age range, and the older ones will be able to comprehend more.

This is not necessarily about skin color, but this verse is another good one about how we treat others who are different. "The alien who resides with you shall be to you as the citizen among you; you shall love the alien as yourself, for you were aliens in the land of Egypt: I am the Lord your God." Leviticus 19:34 

But don't use the word "alien" because that will really confuse them. : )

That reminds me of this fun song about aliens by Slugs & Bugs https://slugsandbugsandlullabies.wordpress.com/tag/alien/

(Based on Deuteronomy 14:21)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry, it's taken me a bit to get back to this.  I sent you a PM but I am posting the book list here.  

The words below are from my friend, who teaches Sunday School and built up the library for his church:

Below is a sampling of things we've got that I think could be useful. This first section is material that sort of provides theological underpinning for anti-racism. If they have a flaw it's that they aren't explicitly calling out or talking about racism. These are books about how everyone is beloved by God and deserving of love and that God wants peace between people and to celebrate their differences. 

All are Welcome by Alexandra Penfold (This one is not explicitly religious)

One thing I really encourage people to do in their churches is look at their bibles and other materials with illustrations and see whether the people are white or not. And if they're mostly white, go out and find books that are more diverse. These two are good.

Getting into specifically addressing racism, the best material is speaking to a wider audience and is not specifically religious. These are a few that we've thrown into our library.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This hymn is considered the Black national anthem. The lyrics are beautiful. It would be a lovely kids' lesson at church, especially if you delve a bit into the history.

Here are the lyrics:

Lift ev'ry voice and sing
'Til earth and heaven ring
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the list'ning skies
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on 'til victory is won

Stony the road we trod
Bitter the chastening rod
Felt in the days when hope unborn had died
Yet with a steady beat
Have not our weary feet
Come to the place for which our fathers sighed?
We have come over a way that with tears has been watered
We have come, treading our path through the blood of the slaughtered
Out from the gloomy past
'Til now we stand at last
Where the white gleam of our bright star is cast

God of our weary years
God of our silent tears
Thou who has brought us thus far on the way
Thou who has by Thy might
Led us into the light
Keep us forever in the path, we pray
Lest our feet stray from the places, our God, where we met Thee