Menu

Which brand laptop would you buy?

Which brand laptop?  

1. 1. Which brand laptop?

• Dell
    • Acer
    • Compaq

I didn't vote. I have a Dell, that replaced a Sony, that replaced a Fujitsu. The Dell is a complete relief because the others were crazy proprietary, so you couldn't get them fixed anywhere but through the manufacturer.

If it were me, I would call a local (not chain store) computer repair shop and ask them about their experience fixing those three, whether any has chronic problems they see over and over, and what their thoughts are about the brands overall.

ETA: I have not had any problems with the Dell, which is a refurbished corporate trade, by the way. I just didn't vote because I don't have enough experience with Acer or Compaq to formulate a valid opinion. But I do like the Dell.

Edited by MyCrazyHouse
clarification

Dell.. because dd's boyfriend works there :D

Of course we don't actually own a Dell. My dd's laptop is very cheap Acer, mine is an even cheaper Compaq, both were purchased pre-boyfriend. :lol:

Seriously... we're both happy with our laptops but they're each only a few months old. Is there any other deciding factor, such as software included or where you'll purchase the laptop? (Some offer their own warranty over and above the manufacturer warranty.)

Edited by BritAnnia
Clarification: I meant FREE warranty by certain stores, such as Costco, NOT the extra warranties you have to buy.

I didn't vote because I don't know about the Acer or Compaq. But I did want to let you know that I have never heard anything positive about the customer service for Dell. The product may be "better", but when you need customer service, it's only horror stories - and they are enough to make me want to run. Run, Forest, run! :D

I didn't vote because I don't know about the Acer or Compaq. But I did want to let you know that I have never heard anything positive about the customer service for Dell. The product may be "better", but when you need customer service, it's only horror stories - and they are enough to make me want to run. Run, Forest, run! :D

I'm reasonably sure you will not hear anything positive about ANY technical customer service provider.

Also, I would absolutely NOT purchase the extended warranty from any box store (Circuit City, Best Buy) because they are third party warranties and the companies are, bar none, the absolute WORST I have ever dealt with. And, frankly, after dealing with Circuit City corporate, still could not get satisfactory service for my Sony, even though the "special cases" team was involved. Horrifying.

:tongue_smilie:

I have a Dell now. We've had a few problems, but I really like it (we're giving to the boys for Christmas). And the Dell I'm looking at is a pretty green.

Dh is Dell-wary, and he's got an Acer, but he's only had it for a few months. It took me 2 years before I had problems with the Dell.

I don't like the way his Acer feels, but it could just be what I'm used to.

Did I mention the Dell is pretty :lol:?

Oh well, gee. If it's a pretty color, why did you even ask? How cool would a green laptop be? I want one!

On a different note, have you bothered to see our "match up" in FF? After making all of these changes yesterday before the games started, thinking I was certain to win, it appears that had I left enough alone, I would have won. I'm so irritated with myself. But, hey, it's good for you! ;)

Oh well, gee. If it's a pretty color, why did you even ask? How cool would a green laptop be? I want one!

On a different note, have you bothered to see our "match up" in FF? After making all of these changes yesterday before the games started, thinking I was certain to win, it appears that had I left enough alone, I would have won. I'm so irritated with myself. But, hey, it's good for you! ;)

Because dh is mocking the fact that I would be swayed by a pretty color. :lol:

I glanced this morning, but my internet is moving slow and I was having trouble accessing the site. Thanks for helping me out with your changes, though :D.

I have been very happy with my HP. I have had it for about 3 years and it has not given me a moment's trouble. Dh bought a Dell refurb. and it never worked right and their customer service never was any help. He finally gave up on it and bought an Acer. He is happy with it, but it can be quirky especially when connecting to networks that are not his home network. In the end, he wishes he had something that worked as well and as easily as my HP.

I have a Pavillion dv8000, desktop replacement, 17" screen, and a number pad.

BTW - I did not vote.

I voted Dell out of those three mainly because that's dh's work laptop and he hasn't had any problems with it, or the ones he's had at previous jobs. I would probably buy a Toshiba though if I had a choice. We have two of them and have had good luck with them. The older one is 5 years old and the wireless got fritzy on it so dh just bought me an HP for Christmas because he got it for $350 on black Friday. I do love our Toshibas though.

My dell that I use at work has had problems with a battery that ran too hot but that was replaced under warranty. It also had hard drive that went bad which was also replaced under warranty. The good news is that they were both replaced. THe bad news is that I have had much worse problems with other laptops in the past. I have had good support as far as drivers and such - I would just avoid Vista - bad problems with getting Vista drivers on anything :glare: Anywho......

I really like my MacBook Air, but that wasn't a choice. The Dell laptop I use at work has been the most reliable I have used in a while and laptop batteries and harddrives aren't that hard to replace. Just make sure you keep it backed up to something you can restore from - like a nice little external USB drive.

;)

I have a purple dell laptop. Just got it for Christmas. It's really pretty. And I would highly suggest looking at their refurbs. I've had a laptop for about 10 years. ALL Dell. this is, I think my 3rd. Not counting the cute little one DH brought home from work for me to 'test'. That was TINY. But not at all practical for one who LIVES on her laptop :D And, well, it wasn't purple!!!!!!!!

DH works (lives, breathes, fixes, AND programs) computers and will ONLY recommend dell. He has tested and helped bring them into 2 major companies. He would probably die before bringing an Acer into our house. Seriously, you should see the return pile of those about a month or 2 after Christmas. They really do su*k.

I don't know if Dell still has it, but they use to have a $99 2 or 3 yr waranty plan. We had my keyboard replaced in one laptop, The tech came to the house and did it. No problems with that at all. (and no, DH did NOT pull strings. He has no pull with the private sector. Just with corporate contracts).

I don't think I said it before, but check their refurbished site. A majority of those are compatability issues. Doesn't fit on my desk. Too big, too small. Won't work with the dock or existing printer, etc.

HTH,

That's my input.

Actually, we have had wonderful customer service from Dell. The fact that we have had to use them a few times for warranty work doesn't make me happy, but they respond well. No running for Forest needed. The troubles with the computer might make me think twice about purchasing another one, but the customer service was great!

My dh works with computers too. His top pick is also Dell. Mine is Apple. I despise pc's. Mac all the way. (From the lady who is having to use a pc because her recharger cord has died. Must replace. must replace.)

DH and I have had Dells for the past 11 years. We started with our first desktop in 2000 and have never had any trouble. We've never needed service except for one time and that was totally my mom's fault. She left my then 2 year old son alone with a bottle of lotion in my room with the computer while she folded clothes in the other room. Needless to say he managed to open the CD-Rom drive and placed lots of lotion and even some pennies he found in there. I called Dell they sent someone out the next day and when the guy got there he yanked the drive door out thus breaking the gears and said "This just wouldn't go back in right, like it was stuck open" and gave me a wink;). I said "Yep" and thus didn't have to pay for the damage my son did. He also told me a lady had her child stuff a peanut butter and jelly sandwich into her cd-rom drive so this wasn't the first time he'd seen something like this.

As for the pretty green part I know what you mean. Just tonight my dh ordered himself a new XPS system (his old XPS is about 4 years old) and surprised me with a new "Spring Green" Studio 17, which has an expanded keyboard with an actual number pad (I use my number pad a lot and hate the usb one I have now for this laptop) My laptop is a 3 year old dell Inspiron and both this and his old XPS will now go into the school room for the kids.

I don't have any experience with Acer or Compaq, but we've been very happy with our Dells.